ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM   #1
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Contour camera question

I'm considering a contour roam or a drift camera. I've ordered an adjustable mount that goes on my gas tank.

I can see using an allen head 1/4-20 to mount the camera to make it kinda theft proof and maybe security screws on the mount (the allen heads with the pin in the center). Is there any way to prevent someone from unscrewing the camera or does it have an index pin in the bottom? I may put a screw beside it or a piece of small angle iron so the camera can't be rotated.

Am I missing anything? Or should I just slip it off in my pocket when I park the bike? 99% of my riding in back and forth to work, so I'm not too worried about a casual theft. Haven't locked my car in the parking lot for years.

Also, what is the battery life of the roam? Can it run from the USB plug for power? is there a waterproof rear cover so I can use the USB plug for power?

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Lock the mount to the camera as hard as you like, they will still be able to rip it off, the only difference is it will be likely to do more damage to your tank!

Just get a quick release mount plate and take it with you.

I can fill about 38 - 40 gigabytes before I need to recharge, no you can't ride and charge, yes it is waterproof, all this can be found on their site in the spec section.

What I did, was ride it to work, plug the mini usb plug into my camera and usb port on my workstation and it charged by day end.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
For the contour, just plan on sliding it off, it's for the best. Battery lasts me all day at the track and can record 7 20min sessions and still have a bit of battery left. It's fine on the street too as long as you remember to slide off the record button for your stops.

It can be charged while recording via usb port while on the bike. There are water proof casings available but I find that they are water resistant enough to take riding in heavy rains.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The contour is easy enough to slide off and small enough to pocket so just taking it with you is probably the safest.

Can't add much to what's already been answered, though I did get both the Roam2 and +2. The +2 came with a waterproof case and I experimented with slipping the Roam into it. Couldn't get the Roam to start recording through the case but not sure if that was my own stupidity or the case is camera specific.

General water resistance is more than enough for rides though.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll probably end up mounting the slide clip onto the tank camera mount and make all of that as rigid as possible so the camera's view doesn't change from ride to ride. Slipping it off and into my pocket is probably the smartest thing.

Good info about recording while charging... One advantage I've seen for the other contour model is that it has a removable battery, but this seems to be a non issue for my bike. If it rains, I'll unplug the USB charger and button it up.

Thanks again!