ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 21st, 2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

First Day Of Spring Fail

Alright,
The first day of spring....How have I waited for you......and now I want t hit someone with a oversized mushroom.
Nyhoo jokes aside, I have to make it wee bit quick because I am heading out to the spring bike show.
Tried to start Circe yesterday but this happened.

Link to original page on YouTube.
I was wondering if it could be the spark plugs, everything else seemed fine.

Old March 21st, 2015, 09:55 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I was wondering if it could be the spark plugs, everything else seemed fine.
Lack of proper level of fuel in the carb's bowls.

For the fuel to fill up those bowls, there must be fuel and vacuum reaching the petcock and zero restriction through fuel filters (one inside the tank, one at the end of the hose connecting to the carbs).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2015, 10:22 AM   #3
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
If you drained the bowls, it's going to take more cranking than that

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Did you drain the carbs when you winterized the bike? If you did, you may want to set the petcock to PRI for 10 seconds before starting the bike. And remember to set it back to ON after she's idling.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Lack of proper level of fuel in the carb's bowls.

For the fuel to fill up those bowls, there must be fuel and vacuum reaching the petcock and zero restriction through fuel filters (one inside the tank, one at the end of the hose connecting to the carbs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
If you drained the bowls, it's going to take more cranking than that
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Did you drain the carbs when you winterized the bike? If you did, you may want to set the petcock to PRI for 10 seconds before starting the bike. And remember to set it back to ON after she's idling.
I didn't drain the carbs before I winterized it. I didn't really fiddle much with them last season because I was kind of afraid of screwing up royally. I'll take a look into it though.
Thanks

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Baron
Urban Legend

Okay and update on the situation.
A friend of mine told me to try jumping the bike to see it if she fires up.
So the other week I tried that. Circe started but only if I pressed the ignition button for long. A little throttle and she would stop, though after a few minutes of running it was okay.
I took the battery out again, charged it fully and this week tried to start her but after a try or two the battery just died.
Could it be the battery causing all of problem?

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I can clearly hear the starter so it's not the battery

this is all carb seeing as you didn't winterize it
try dumping some seafoam in there w/some fresh gas to see if that'll work then if it does ride it and burn off the tank of gas. If not, time for some carb cleaning

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I can clearly hear the starter so it's not the battery

this is all carb seeing as you didn't winterize it
try dumping some seafoam in there w/some fresh gas to see if that'll work then if it does ride it and burn off the tank of gas. If not, time for some carb cleaning
I actually did winterize it, well I didn't drain the carbs but I did put stablizer in, I let it run for a bit, filled up the tank and all..........at least I think I did.

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Get it started again... let it idle for a bit. Coming out of winter hibernation isn't instantaneous ya know. Each spring, just go ahead and take for granted you will have to "wake up" a bike with carbs. My bike took 30 mins to fully come back to life last season, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Start it, let it idle for a few mins and get all the lines, passages and such primed up real good. If it will not take throttle, just give it a bit at a time until and work with it until you can pin it. Then take it for a short ride ASAP. You should be good to go from there on out unless your battery took a dump on you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
If you put stabilizer in the fuel and filled your tank, it should be ok. I've had bikes sitting with fuel stabilizer for over 9 months (without draining the carbs) and it did hesitate a bit when it finally started up.

Just curious, which stabilizer did you put in? I've had good luck with Stabil & Seafoam. I haven't tried other brands though.

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Get it started again... let it idle for a bit. Coming out of winter hibernation isn't instantaneous ya know. Each spring, just go ahead and take for granted you will have to "wake up" a bike with carbs. My bike took 30 mins to fully come back to life last season, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Start it, let it idle for a few mins and get all the lines, passages and such primed up real good. If it will not take throttle, just give it a bit at a time until and work with it until you can pin it. Then take it for a short ride ASAP. You should be good to go from there on out unless your battery took a dump on you.
Started her up again. Wasn't that much of a problem, had to jump her because the batter wasn't charged. Had her running for about 20 mins or so.
I can't take her for a ride just yet because of insurance reasons but I guessing starting everyday should do the trick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
If you put stabilizer in the fuel and filled your tank, it should be ok. I've had bikes sitting with fuel stabilizer for over 9 months (without draining the carbs) and it did hesitate a bit when it finally started up.

Just curious, which stabilizer did you put in? I've had good luck with Stabil & Seafoam. I haven't tried other brands though.
Sorry I went AFK for a few days. lol
I put in Motomaster's Fuel stabilizer.

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Don't start it if you're not going to ride it. I say hook up the battery to a tender to trickle charge it. Then start it when you go out for a real ride.