ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #1
FilipinoAviator
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1999 CBR1100XX, 1989 Ninja 250, 1993 KDX200

Airbox meets bandsaw...

After a thorough hassle with getting that giant wad of an airbox out of there, I decided to reinvent the wheel. I wanted to make it so that I wouldn't have to pull more than the sidecovers, seat, and tank in order to get the airbox in/out since I see myself tinkering with the carbs more often than not (I can't leave anything alone...)

Anyways, I modified the airbox as shown. First with a bandsaw to get it down to a more manageable size-

Since the opening was approximately to the open cavity where the filter sits, I was able to make a plank out of aluminum honeycomb I had laying around-

With the plank test fit, then I installed a random cone filter that I had laying around-

Then, I match drilled 4 oversize holes from the airbox to air filter bulkhead, filled the holes with epoxy, drilled the holes out again to a smaller diameter, attached with long-ish sheet metal screws, and called it a day.

I had all the parts laying around, so it just cost me a Sunday afternoon to build this on the fly. It's much easier to mess with, and I plan on doing the GSXR rear shock mod soon, so I'm trying to future proof this setup.
FilipinoAviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
if I'm not mistaken, air flow goes outside to inside not inside to outside of the cone, not out.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I like it! I've been thinking about doing something similar by putting the pod filter on the carbs but completely enclosed in the box. I like your method better, putting the airbox on the carbs and sticking the pod filter into the box.

You might be able to use ABS stock instead of the aluminum honey comb and then do ABS "welding" to seal it in. Or just use Silicon sealant, either would work.

Creative solution! Let us know how it works. I may do this as a winter project, but with a K&N R-0990
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #4
FilipinoAviator
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
if I'm not mistaken, air flow goes outside to inside not inside to outside of the cone, not out.
It can go either way. Honda 919s and SV650s all have the air come through the filter from the inside and flows out.

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #5
FilipinoAviator
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I like it! I've been thinking about doing something similar by putting the pod filter on the carbs but completely enclosed in the box. I like your method better, putting the airbox on the carbs and sticking the pod filter into the box.

You might be able to use ABS stock instead of the aluminum honey comb and then do ABS "welding" to seal it in. Or just use Silicon sealant, either would work.

Creative solution! Let us know how it works. I may do this as a winter project, but with a K&N R-0990
Thanks! The airbox gets put in as 3 easy parts, then gets assembled in the frame. By making the aluminum hunk removable, it allows for ease of filter cleaning. I thought about pod filters, then the fiasco of rejetting and constantly cleaning them (since they're now exposed) made me rethink the situation.

Is it strange that I had aluminum honeycomb laying around but no ABS sheet? lol

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ that is kinda weird!

Good choice, I appreciate looking to the maintenance side of things when doing an install. Did you make your single hole the same area as the combined area of the two holes in the stock lid? I think you may want to check your jetting as it is, even if the hole is the same size, I bet the filter has less restriction. It would be a good idea to do all the riding tests to see if the jetting passes the butt dyno tests and adjust the idle mix screws if needed. All for completeness of course.

I like it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Very interesting modification

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #8
FilipinoAviator
ninjette.org member

Ride report!

It definitely flows better than the stock setup. The previous owner also drilled 4 holes into each exhaust which made more noise and further caused a lean running condition.

So, I used 8 sheet metal screws to fill the exhaust holes, and stuffed a small piece of foam in the intake to act as a pre-filter. The bike runs awesome! So awesome, that I ran it out of gas... And it rolled 5000 miles on the push home

One of these days I will go ahead and rejet the carbs and allow her to breathe free, but until then this setup works.

I'm kind of addicted to this Ninja! My Blackbird is an incredible machine (160ish hp), but it's not a bike you just throw a leg over and relieve a little stress. But this little beater Ninja has been entirely too much fun!

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Wait til you get the suspension dialed in, in the twisties the Ninjette is absolutely amazing once it's set-up.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #10
FilipinoAviator
ninjette.org member

Welp. I did it again. This time to the 1989's airbox and used a Briggs and Straton air filter that can be purchased at O'Reillys for $7.19 plus tax.

I noticed this one makes a little throatier noise than the cone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4471.jpg (66.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4472.jpg (68.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4473.jpg (123.0 KB, 1 views)