ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

How did my chain get so loose and my axle get so tight?!

I changed my tires due to a road hazard a couple months ago. After mounting new tires, I made sure the chain slack and axle torque were in spec and resumed riding. I checked it a few times over the next couple weeks and everything seemed to be OK (it is my daily commuter vehicle). About a month later, I started hearing rattling and slapping that was getting worse and worse, but it was always raining and I didn't have the chance to investigate thoroughly until a week ago. I found that it was so slack that I could move it nearly three inches until I hit the swingarm! I also found that I could not loosen the axle nut to adjust the chain because the whole bike would lift off the stand (I have it inserted from the right). I put all of my 250+ lbs on the axle itself using a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet (risky, I know) and it still would not loosen. I don't have an impact wrench, so it took hours to get it out! How did it get that tight?! Anyway, I'm scared to torque it back down to spec now, considering what happened before.

The more important question is regarding the chain itself. It's an aftermarket cheap blue-colored chain from a snowmobile dealer that also sold colored chain + sprocket kits for motorcycles (he sold kits for the pregen on eBay), so I have a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't intended for daily commuting and was intended more for seasonal snowmobiling where you aren't as likely to die from a complete chain failure. Even so, I can't blame it all on the chain because I had put many thousands of miles on it and it stayed the proper tightness/length until after the most recent, early, tire change. To restore the proper slack, I had to adjust it to a point that I believe is much farther back than it has ever been. This means that the chain must have stretched significantly, despite having put many times more miles on it before this sudden extreme loosening. The sounds of it contacting the bike/swingarm were not comforting. Could it have damaged anything else in the time it was being ridden that loose? I've only had it since about 12K miles and I'm now over 18K. I really don't have the money for a new name-brand chain, and there's no way I'm spending $190 for an OEM chain, so what do you guys recommend?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

The chain could have stretched but not by that much. Was your tire straight before you losen it up? Maybe you had hit a pot hole and moves the rim?

Old January 5th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

JET, I think that If I were in your place, I would check the chain for stretch. If it is out of spec., replacement with a good O ring chain would be money well spent. I do know that with bicycles (I have a bike shop) a streched chain causes excessive wear on sprockets. Also, the danger of a chain breaking is something you should try to avoid. Spending the $$ on a good 106 link chain would certainly give you peace of mind.

Old January 5th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Did your Chain Tensioner Cap Bolts loosen at all? Chances are tone side did and the torque from the chain put enough pressure on it to keep it and the axle bolt tight and slightly canted.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
The chain could have stretched but not by that much. Was your tire straight before you losen it up? Maybe you had hit a pot hole and moves the rim?
I used the alignment marks and a chain alignment tool, neither of which are perfect, so I split the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
JET, I think that If I were in your place, I would check the chain for stretch. If it is out of spec., replacement with a good O ring chain would be money well spent. I do know that with bicycles (I have a bike shop) a streched chain causes excessive wear on sprockets. Also, the danger of a chain breaking is something you should try to avoid. Spending the $$ on a good 106 link chain would certainly give you peace of mind.
It's going to sting considering I bought this one only 8 months ago, but I agree: Better safe than sorry.

How do I check for stretch and how much is allowable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Did your Chain Tensioner Cap Bolts loosen at all? Chances are tone side did and the torque from the chain put enough pressure on it to keep it and the axle bolt tight and slightly canted.
Previously I don't think they were adjusted nearly to the point I had to adjust them to in order to reign in the slack. The alignment plates are almost at the last mark! they were still pretty even on both sides and pretty tight. The axle was so ridiculously tight that I doubt it could have moved anyway!

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

JET, I could answer that if I still had my Shop Manual. Sold the manual to another Ninjette. Anybody out there who can help?

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #7
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

If I were you, i'd replace that chain pronto - you can get D.I.D chains here (and on eBay) for around the $100AU mark. Depends if you want O ring, X ring, gold etc...

As for chain slack the service manual says
Quote:
20 ∼ 30 mm (0.8 ∼ 1.2 in.)
, that is from the bottom 'side' of the chain...heres a pic from the service manual

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5671/chainj.jpg

I adjusted mine so that the chain was *just* not making contact with the swing arm protector (while in neutral and on stands). This left me with perfect slack spec when the bike was standing and/or in gear. The chain has not stretched at all either.
GiGs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Deanohh
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Honda Sabre 1300

With a bike in gear you will never get the right slack measurement.
Deanohh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31928
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
JET, I could answer that if I still had my Shop Manual. Sold the manual to another Ninjette. Anybody out there who can help?
Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGs View Post
If I were you, i'd replace that chain pronto - you can get D.I.D chains here (and on eBay) for around the $100AU mark. Depends if you want O ring, X ring, gold etc...

As for chain slack the service manual says , that is from the bottom 'side' of the chain...heres a pic from the service manual

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5671/chainj.jpg

I adjusted mine so that the chain was *just* not making contact with the swing arm protector (while in neutral and on stands). This left me with perfect slack spec when the bike was standing and/or in gear. The chain has not stretched at all either.
I've got the manual and adjusted it to just that each time. It's "stretch" that I'm wondering how to measure, though it'd really be more for curiosity considering that I want to replace it now anyway. I just want to know for sure if the chain stretched or the adjusters and swingarm slipped. Considering the ridiculously tight axle despite having only been tightened to the specified torque (it somehow got tighter), I have a feeling that the chain isn't the only concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Thanks, but it's not the same question. Mine was so loose that I couldn't even measure the slack because it would reach the swingarm. It was at least three inches, which is 50% more than anything the others were talking about. A lot of the noises I thought were attributable to valves (I'm past due for a valve job) were actually the chain, so I've been riding with it this way for too long and I do wonder what it could do to the non-sprocket parts it contacted to make all that noise.

Old January 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

A chain could have slack within spec at one point of the chain and be stretched at another point. Perhaps not so extreme as 3" though. One quick check is also trying to pull the chain away from the back of the rear sprocket. It shouldn't lift off the sprocket more than a hair. A service manual will have the actual tolerances.

I have found I can adjust the chain in one spot to spec then rotate the wheel and another spot is looser or tighter. Always want to set slack at the tightest point of the chain. Hope this helps in some way.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #12
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Check the bike over real well, or have a pro do it. Contrary to popular belief chains stretch very VERY little (you won't see it or the difference it made), especially on underpowered machines like these. Chains wear out and get lots of slop between parts that used to fit snug and sprocket(s) wear, creating most the slack in your chain. Assuming that nothing has "moved".

Old February 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, it did it AGAIN except the axel was a bit loose this time. I'm now adjusted all the way to the last mark.

It didn't sound the same this time... Instead of hearing an obvious slap/scrape sound, it would make a click sound like I had shifted but without the "thunk" sound that goes with it. I made it to work and checked it just before leaving and that appears to be it. Because I was actually able to loosen the axel with the tool kit this time, I adjusted it and I'm about to make my trip home. Wish me luck!

Oh, and it's over 19k miles now.

Old February 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

A person I work with was walking by and saw me pulled over adjusting my chain He came back by later to offer the use of his tools. I explained that it was already adjusted and that I was only still there because I was posting online and calling my brother in case something happened to me so that people would know if my chain gave and caused an accident.

Well, I made it home and turned on the news only to see that someone along my route had a motorcycle accident and caused a massive jam. I hope he isn't watching the news! I also hope the other guy is OK.

Old April 5th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, this is ridiculous. My chain was rattling and knocking again these past few days. I finally checked it and, sure enough, it was suddenly much too loose again, only this time I had already reached the MAXIMUM adjustment for tightening. It is so loose that it is touching part of the frame where the suspension connects. Though my sprocket looked seemingly fine before, it looks like it's wearing pretty fast now. What can cause extreme chain stretch and sprocket wear? They are both one year old with about 7K miles!

I have two theories:

#1: The shop installed my chain with a rivet link instead of the clip-type it included. Could they have used the wrong kind? It does seem to be a lot tighter than the other links (chain doesn't pull straight unless I tweak it there by hand but that's also because it's way too loose).
#2: Something related to the barricade I hit back in October/November. It cut up my tires and damaged my rims, but it all appears cosmetic and the shop said that everything still balanced fine. *shrug*

I counted and it is 106 links. I ordered it as a 520 O-Ring, so it should be right. My gearing is 15/41 instead of 14/45 but I heard that you'd need something like 16/41 for the needed number of links to change and that needs a modified sprocket cover anyway.

I have no alternate transportation, but I know I can't keep riding it like this, especially with it touching the frame. Any suggestions?

Old April 6th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Removing links from a stretched chain.

From my "removing links from a stretched chain" thread (now merged):

I don't know why my 1-year-old 8K mile chain stretched so much but it is already causing notable rear sprocket wear. I need to replace them together but in the mean time I need to get the bike running (it is my daily commuter). I should have more time left on the sprocket and, if not, I can switch back to my old one until I can replace them all. I just need to shorten the chain because I can't tighten the adjusters any more than they already are.

It has a rivet-type master link. Will a chain breaker work on that? Everything I read only descibes using it on normal links. :/ I still have the original unused clip-type link to switch to.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 8th, 2011 at 12:10 AM.

Old April 6th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #17
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I don't know why my 1-year-old 8K mile chain stretched so much but it is already causing notable rear sprocket wear. I need to replace them together but in the mean time I need to get the bike running (it is my daily commuter). I should have more time left on the sprocket and, if not, I can switch back to my old one until I can replace them all. I just need to shorten the chain because I can't tighten the adjusters any more than they already are.

It has a rivet-type master link. Will a chain breaker work on that? Everything I read only descibes using it on normal links. :/ I still have the original unused clip-type link to switch to.
The chain probably didn't stretch much, the sprockets' wear is causing the most of the slop. As a sprocket wears the chain rides lower, closer to the center of the sprocket, making it like a smaller sized sprocket.

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
The chain probably didn't stretch much, the sprockets' wear is causing the most of the slop. As a sprocket wears the chain rides lower, closer to the center of the sprocket, making it like a smaller sized sprocket.
Even if the sprocket is what is causing the majority of it, the stretched chain is almost undoubtedly what caused the sprocket to wear, at which point it accelerated both wearing as it got loose. The chain got suddenly and notably loose a little over a month ago and the sprocket was still fine. I tightened it up using all of the adjustment range and found that it was loose again and now the sprocket wasn't doing so good. A new sprocket with the same old chain is going to last just as long: a month. I can't adjust it any tighter and yet it's so loose that it's touching the frame where the suspension attaches, so I can't ride it.

As I understand it, when the pins get spaced ever so slightly it doesn't line up with the sprocket teeth as well and the looseness also causes lateral wear. It's a JT sprocket that I bought with the chain and had installed only one year (8,000 miles) ago.

How can I tell if the sprockets are installed backwards or something?

If I can't take out a link today I will be trying to install my old sprocket (45 tooth; up from 41 tooth). I think DuckMan's chain video was saying to file down rivet links before using a chain breaker on them so I'll be removing a normal link instead (if I can).

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #19
rockNroll

Quote:
the stretched chain is almost undoubtedly what caused the sprocket to wear,
Probably not. Chains don't stretch much, contrary to popular belief. Stretching is just wear between link and pivot, the metal doesn't stretch. If your chain wore that fast it was either a cheap pos or subject to harsh use combined with no maint. Crap sprockets that wear quick seem to be more common. These are just observations made working in a motorcycle shop and replacing a lot of sprockets and chains n such.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #20
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Most DIY's I've seen, they grind off the rivets on the master link and use the chain breaker to push the pin thru. It should work pretty well.

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Probably not. Chains don't stretch much, contrary to popular belief. Stretching is just wear between link and pivot, the metal doesn't stretch. If your chain wore that fast it was either a cheap pos or subject to harsh use combined with no maint. Crap sprockets that wear quick seem to be more common. These are just observations made working in a motorcycle shop and replacing a lot of sprockets and chains n such.
It was a $45 blue 520 O-ring chain from a snowmobile shop so, yes, I do believe it is a cheap chain. I have been reading up on chain stretch and sprocket wear and I am seeing textbook examples of both with the chain seeming to have stretched first. Yes, it's the pins between the links that wear and, even though it's imperceptible per-link, it can add up to a very perceptible stretch along the full length, especially when llined up with a new chain. The sprocket looked fine 6 weeks ago when the chain was loose enough to take up all of my adjustment range... not so much now. When the pins wear, the distance between them increases and it starts to wear the leading edge of the sprocket tooth (they no longer "land" directly between them), which widens the gap between the teeth and sharpens their appearance. This is exactly what I am seeing.

I suspect that they may have sent me an off-brand rear sprocket too (instead of JT), so I'm going to look for any tell-tale markings.

I'm not saying that my chain stretched in 6 weeks. It appears that 6 weeks ago I was experiencing a lot of chain stretch for a 1 year old chain and 6 weeks later I am experiencing the resulting sprocket wear, which has further loosened it (not the result of further stretching). I have a feeling that it's going to be easier to put my old sprocket back on than to remove a link so I am going to try that first.

Thanks though. I've been telling everyone that chains don't stretch as much as you would think too, but I'm pretty sure that it did in this case.

What orientation is the J-specific front sprocket supposed to face? I believe the spacer side with the extra thickness (compared to a pre-gen sprocket) would only make sense facing inward, so I guess it should be spacer-side in. when the rain lets up I plan to check it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Most DIY's I've seen, they grind off the rivets on the master link and use the chain breaker to push the pin thru. It should work pretty well.
Thanks. Then I'd need to buy the rotary tool and the chain breaker, so I'm going to try to put on my larger 45-tooth sprocket and, if that doesn't work, I'll remove a normal link and use the clip-type master it originally included.

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #22
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

You don't have an angle grinder? That should work too.

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
You don't have an angle grinder? That should work too.
Since I moved here in 2008, I've only bought specific tools when I've encountered the need so, in addition to the OEM crap. So few, in fact, that I could probably count them off. Basically, the rotary tool is $10 at HF and the chain breaker is $16. If I can get away with only buying one until I get a new chain and sprockets, I will.

I have some time to blow, so let's see... hmm. To my recollection, I only have the following:
1/2" drive torque wrench from Advanced Auto Parts
Metric socket for axle bolt side (use OEM tool for large nut on other end)
1/4" drive socket wrench set from Harbor Freight (broken/doesn't ratchet; needs to be exchanged AGAIN)
A few random screwdrivers
Spools + low-profile aluminum rear stand (eBay + HF)
Bead breaker (HF)
3x tire irons (HF)
Teflon rim protectors (Motion Pro?)
Chain alignment tool (HF)
Valve stem core remover (NAPA. auto parts)
Hex socket drivers (Sears Craftsman eVolve)
Folding metric hex key set (from Lowes... Cobalt?)
I think that's it. Pretty sparse. A few other random supplies like rubbing compounds, lube, thread-locker, oil, coolant, cotter pins (AAP), filters, a metric hardware kit with bolts, nuts, and pop rivets, etc.

I don't even have a hammer or drill. Try as I might, I can't find any cross/phillips driver at HF that clearly says "#3," but that been on my list for bar ends for a while. Oh! That reminds me: I did buy a pencil torch ($2 at HF) and butane for that same job (not completed yet).

Old April 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #24
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Try as I might, I can't find any cross/phillips driver at HF that clearly says "#3," but that been on my list for bar ends for a while.

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post

Looks like I'm headed there for a breaker bar anyway.

I can't loosen the nuts on the rear sprocket. It looks like it's easier with the tire still mounted but that still doesn't work for me. R I dewin it rong?

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Bump. At HF now.

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #27
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

You should be able to slide a breaker bar in between the sprocket slot and the rim spoke, maybe put a 2x4 with a rag there to protect the spoke. Leverage the sprocket against the spoke to keep it from moving and remove the nut. I haven't tried this yet, but it should work.

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #28
rockNroll

stop by an automotive garage on your way home and ask a mechanic to take the nuts off with his pneumatic air wrench I'm serious!

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
stop by an automotive garage on your way home and ask a mechanic to take the nuts off with his pneumatic air wrench I'm serious!
It's on the bike at home and I can't ride it with the chain like it is, but thanks! I think I'll try the board + rag method first.

Old April 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Look at my sprocket comparison!

Link to original page on YouTube.

The first pic is of one of the tabs that the chain guard attaches to.

After I made the video I used my chain alignment tool and it looked like the chain was meandering (not linear). It would be imperceptible without a visual aid like the tool.

My new theory is that the incident with the metal object that slashed my tires, gashed my front rim, and dented my rear rim, may have also damaged my chain/sprockets. I noticed an impact mark of some kind on my brake calipers on the other side that I can't explain any other way so it looks like I took a much bigger beating than I thought! There is definitely some damage on my front fender's right side when the gash cut into the rim was on the left, but it's on the edge.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #31
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

So did the breaker bar method work on getting the sprocket off?

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
So did the breaker bar method work on getting the sprocket off?
I got this thing for $8:
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-96927.html
A LOT more leverage.

I put the padded 2x4 across the swingarm but the wheel wouldn't turn touch it with the bike in-gear so I guess it wasn't really needed (probably not good for the already-suspect chain). The problem wasn't that it was moving too much, it was that I didn't lave enough leverage to break the nuts with whatever threadlocker they used.

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Forgot to post with this:
swinarm_rub.jpg

It clearly shows where the chain has been contacting the top of the swingarm. I don't see any marks where it was able to contact the frame so I didn't take a pic of that.

Old May 15th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

When I install my new chain, I hear that I should grease the O-rings on the master link before installation. With what, specifically? I have axle grease. Will that do the trick? This is the one I ordered:
http://www.d2moto.com/p-8290-520-o-r...LAID=589020783

Yes, I know I will need to remove links.

Next question: The Ninja250.org chain faq says that I need to grind off a pin to remove it even if I have a chain breaker. Really? That's not the way I've seen it described online elsewhere. They weren't just talking about a rivet-type master link either.

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

The chain I ordered above began making noises a couple months later.

Despite what I was saying. I took it to a shop and had them install it professionally (Stark Motorcycle). They confirmed that the mismatched master link in the old chain was causing the problem and talked poorly of the dealership that did it, but then it seems that they partially pressed one of the sleeves through when removing a link and it made an O-ring tear and plates were meshing that were never supposed to touch. I caught it a few weeks later and they fixed it by pressing the sleeve back through, but I still needed a new master link. D2moto.com had none so I used some O-rings that they sent me until an identical looking master link arrived in the mail ("Forward Powersports").

A few months later, I began hearing pops and grinding on the new chain and found that the rollers were cracked, missing, and chunked (C-shaped sections remaining). These are the parts that roll as a sprocket tooth fits between them, so you can imagine that it wasn't good for the sprockets. It sounded like it was taking bites out of it and, sure enough, the sprocket wear was just as severe as before, even with brand new chain and sprockets! I had ridden with it too tight for one long trip a few weeks earlier but I had no idea what to blame.

I can't say that the Volar chain was to blame because I switched to a new rear sprocket with an OEM Kawasaki chain (endless EK SRO) from another member's bike (@ninja250) and it did it after an easy few thousand miles (crossed the country): More chunked and missing rollers! I similarly can't say the installer or my own negligence was to blame because the EK SRO was not overtightened or ridden tight and there was no issue installing it.

I ordered another and it now comes with a rivet link and has "Volar" stamped on several links, so thing have changed. I'm still convinced that it's a generic supplier that offered branding services because there is no way that they make gloves, chains, brake pads, and everything else under the sun. Even the product that the old link above links to has been updated. It now has a branded box too but the instructions on back are for a clip-type master link.

Edit: Maybe they are more than a generic supplier. I was just contacted by Volar's Senior R&D guy "Vincent" who says that they are working on an even better chain. All signs point to it being made for them to their specifications by a supplier. I added the "in between" story above as well, since this thread was really about the chain before my first Volar chain but mentions my Volar problems as well.

Last futzed with by CZroe; March 21st, 2012 at 06:22 AM.

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #36
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, but for not much more money, you can get a better chain than a Volar chain. It won't be fancy blue though.

RK 520XSO chains are like $65.00
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #37
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yeah, but for not much more money, you can get a better chain than a Volar chain. It won't be fancy blue though.

RK 520XSO chains are like $65.00
Until I know if something else is responsible for my chains going bad, I want to avoid wasting a good chain. As it turns out, the OEM chain I used to cross the country with developed the same problem as my last chain (broken/missing roller links). That's EK SRO Japanese Steel.

Not sure what's going on. I stared at the CS sprocket as it spun freely with no chain or sprocket cover and it seems to spin straight and true. I've always insisted on JTF1539 as the correct part with no shimming needed. I'm always changed sprockets with chains. I've always checked alignment and even prioritized chain alignment over tire alignment through the life of my first replacement chain (used Harbor Freight motorcycle chain alignment tool). I'm just not sure what to blame here.

Old March 17th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #38
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250

Question: I'm getting noise from front sprocket after removing my rear wheel and trying to adjust the chain back to within spec. I can't seem to do it so I wanted to take it to a place to get fixed. It's about 10-15 mi away. How much damage if I rode it there?
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #39
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ impossible to say with out seeing it, besides you may not want to risk riding to a shop to get work done expecting to ride the bike back out of the shop fixed that same day.

For both reasons it is a much better idea to transport the bike there and drop it off.

Just need a pick-up truck, and maybe a buddy with a pick up truck.... and a ramp, or a board and a short wall/hill to load from... or a shop that will pick up the bike for you.... you get the idea.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #40
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
Question: I'm getting noise from front sprocket after removing my rear wheel and trying to adjust the chain back to within spec. I can't seem to do it so I wanted to take it to a place to get fixed. It's about 10-15 mi away. How much damage if I rode it there?
how much can you spin it?

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote