ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 11th, 2016, 08:45 AM   #1
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Name: Gavin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250

Share Your Police Encounters

I've not been driving very long but I have had a few encounters with 'The law'. I feel that's bad, but I'll explain. Also. Please read all of my stories before you light your keyboard on fire by typing hateful things.

So my first time ever getting pulled over was because the way I pulled out of one parking lot into another. You know those lots that are right next to each-other and divided so you cant get from one to the other? Well, I pulled into the wrong one (like always ) and I needed to get to the right one, well, me being a fool, I just drove from A to B without going all the way to the other lane to make a small turn. The officers who pulled me over were stern but understood why I did and just gave me a verbal warning.

The second time wasn't so cool though. So I had got done checking on my grandparents (I had taken off school to do it), I was on my way home and its about a 30 minute drive from their house to mine, It's highway and then its about three miles interstate and then its city streets. Well. I had gotten off of the interstate and about halfway through the city part of the journey and there's a school zone. I know the school zone is there and I know the area very well, I make the journey once or more a week, 95% of the time. Well. I see the warning signs for the school zone, and I see traffic back up, I realize its a school zone, and am forced to slow down because traffic is already backed up. I remember just entering the actual school zone and seeing a motorcycle officer, I look down at my speedo to make sure how fast I'm going and I was going an indicated 30MPH which on the pregen is what, 27MPH? Anyhow, I actually think after seeing him, 'sucks to be that guy' seeing the person right next to me speed through the school zone... Guess what happens next? Yup, you guessed correctly, flashing lights... Behind me?!?!? I pull over ASAP, turn my bike off, put my stand down, put my hands on the tank, turn around, look at the officer, wave, say 'Hi' and wait for him to give me some instructions. He approaches and I ask him how he's doing, he doesn't do much more than acknowledge he heard me, thats fine. I asked him why he pulled me over and he said I was speeding "You first were doing 40 and I locked a reading at 37" (or something like that, he said something about 37 and then 40). I asked him if he was sure he clocked me because I was certain of the speed I was going. I said "Um, sure are you sure you didn't clock someone else? I saw you and I checked my speed and I was doing an Indicated 30 and my bikes gauge is optimistic..." He proceeded to get angry and accuse me of telling him he didn't know how to do his job saying "Ive been doing this for longer than you've been alive!!!" I told him that I didn't at all think that just that mistakes happen and I didn't believe I was speeding because if I were I would have had no problem owning up to it... He didn't listen, I got the ticket, but he 'cut me a break' only a 35 in a 25, non school zone. Anyway, that's BS because I know I wasn't speeding... This happened back in November and I had court in February and will be going back in May, because yes, I am contesting it. I go to court in Feb. and guess who isn't there? The officer. Wanna know why? He had a motorcycle accident on the Dept. Issued cruiser. But get this, I did some research on the officer and his accident because I genuinely was curious about how he was doing. On the PD's Facebook page they made a post about his accident and how and I quote he "Didn't sustain any major injuries" and it even showed a picture of the bike, clean as a whistle. And while doing my research about his accident I stumble upon this officer's past. He's been arrested for assault of people he's had detained, and he's been accused 12 times of assault, over half of which were confirmed, the officer also had tampered with official documents and he traveled out of the country while he was on paid administrative leave for all of this. Isn't that fishy?

The third time. Well. I had school and it was raining. I hadn't checked the forecast, and I hadn't been prepared. I left my helmet out on my bike and it rained. My helmet was soaked and I didn't want to wear a soggy helmet. So. I don't wear my helmet (I was wearing glasses though, I always wear them even with my helmet on, I don't like my visor, fogs up, gets hot, etc). I know its stupid, and I don't even like doing it, I don't feel comfortable without my helmet, but I did it. So. I'm on my way home and I get cut off and I suspect the officer saw this and it attracted his attention. Well. Naturally, I get pulled over. I can't say I blame him. School just let out and everyone is driving erratically, myself included. Anyway. First thing he asks me was my age and I told him, told him I knew the law, and that I was supposed to have a helmet, but mine was soaked. I didn't BS him. He wrote me a warning and told me I had to wear my helmet. I thanked him, shook his hand, asked him his name, and told him to be careful and ride safe.

So moral of the story(s)? There are good, and bad police. Some are probably just having a bad day too. Don't take it too personal. They're usually just doing their job. You'll catch a bad one every now and then, if you do, brush it off, or, if you're a determined bastard like me, contest it in court, if its worth it, of course. I have nothing to lose, I'm getting out of a few days of school over this ticket, and I might not have to pay the fine, chances are I will though, he'll still have to be at court, and at least I know I'm impeding him in giving more people a hard time, and to me, its worth it.

To all you straight officers out there, I respect you for what you do, I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to be lied to on a constant basis, treated bad, and be in crazy messed up situations.

Old April 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #2
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
If your speedo said 30 but it's really 27, that's still speeding. School zones are 20 MPH, right? At least they are in my state and surrounding states.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

I believe they are 20 mph on school days when children are present.

at least that's what the sign says

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
If your speedo said 30 but it's really 27, that's still speeding. School zones are 20 MPH, right? At least they are in my state and surrounding states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
I believe they are 20 mph on school days when children are present.

at least that's what the sign says
Negative. Here in Good ole Oklahoma they're 25. I would say 27 in a 25 is not much of a crime

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #5
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_Coffey View Post
Negative. Here in Good ole Oklahoma they're 25. I would say 27 in a 25 is not much of a crime
Interesting indeed. I have a feeling he pinged a car around you and pulled you over anyway. That sucks.

I can say with complete honesty that I have always been pulled over for breaking a law. My experiences with the police has always been excellent. I have treated them with respect and been treated in kind.

I consider myself very fortunate.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #6
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

I know in PA that the law states that under 55 mph they can't use electronics as proof of your speed if your under 6mph over the speed limit. I believe this has to do with the calibration of the devices not being capable of giving tolerance to such a small value.

I have had plenty of run-ins with the cops, I am un-diagnosed with lead foot. This disease has plagued me all my life and unfortunately I have dealt with the insurance repercussions. I am happy to say I have been lead-free for 6 months, or at least haven't been caught (knock on wood). The last cop I dealt with was nice and some can be, just depends on their day how you get treated.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
It's in there somewhere....lol

Quote:
Day 6 (7/25/09)

465 miles

We got up to a bit or rain and packed up. Before leaving we took some more photo opps and checked out the boats. They had engines ranging from 30hp to 90. These boats were larger then expected but still 90 hp must make on go like 80 .

There were sleds everywhere. Some destroyed some seemingly new.

Wowza! 90hp, this would be great on the pontoon!

On the way back down the road Dean and i attempted ot make the long stretch with out fueling. Well he made it and i ran out at 222.7, 52 miles with the gas light on.

Big tubes possibly for the rupert dams

On the way through Timmons Jim and Jason caught the attention of the local leo. He ran up to Jason and said "Is that a klr" ! We chatted it up a bit and he informed Jim that 80 is not mph but rather km/h . He even took pic's of us! Thanks officer for another great memory for the trip . He will be looking at this thread and hopefully he chimes in!

After that we headed to what had to be the worst hotel in the world . Really it was not that bad just real 1960's pink shag and all.

I loves me some pj1

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Interesting indeed. I have a feeling he pinged a car around you and pulled you over anyway. That sucks.

I can say with complete honesty that I have always been pulled over for breaking a law. My experiences with the police has always been excellent. I have treated them with respect and been treated in kind.

I consider myself very fortunate.
I am no saint. I ride at an indicated 10-15 over, usually. I don't mess around at school zones though. I have been pulled over multiple times, most times it's because I was breaking the law, I have been fortunate. That particular time I actually was obeying the law (except for my measly 2mph over

Old April 11th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
I know in PA that the law states that under 55 mph they can't use electronics as proof of your speed if your under 6mph over the speed limit. I believe this has to do with the calibration of the devices not being capable of giving tolerance to such a small value.

I have had plenty of run-ins with the cops, I am un-diagnosed with lead foot. This disease has plagued me all my life and unfortunately I have dealt with the insurance repercussions. I am happy to say I have been lead-free for 6 months, or at least haven't been caught (knock on wood). The last cop I dealt with was nice and some can be, just depends on their day how you get treated.
In my opinion Oklahoma law is not made to be fair but made to generate revenue. Oklahoma doesn't have much industry besides Oil and big prisons. I thought PA might have been that way, I'm pleasantly surprised it isn't.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
It's in there somewhere....lol
That looks sweet. PNW is beautiful. Thanks for the pics and the share.

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #11
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
That looks sweet. PNW is beautiful. Thanks for the pics and the share.
That is the beginning of the Return from James Bay, Quebec. we got pulled over in Timmins Ontario.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
27 > 25, therefore speeding (trust me, I'm a scientist!)

In my experience, cops don't care by how much you are exceeding the speed limit in school zones or residential areas. It is a LIMIT and unless otherwise specified, they are completely justified in ticketing you for even 1 MPH over that limit. We are all accustomed to there being a 5-10 MPH cushion over that number, but that doesn't mean the police officer has done anything wrong for ticketing you for exceeding the speed limit by any amount, and that cushion certainly doesn't exist in these sorts of areas.

WRT my experiences with police, being contrite and acknowledging that you were breaking the law is usually (meaning >80% of the time) enough to get you off with a warning. Even if you're just being a moron and don't have an excuse, being polite and admitting to being in the wrong goes a long way. It seems like you've experienced the same thing, but you've got to make that extra jump to accepting responsibility to realize real "traffic stop zen."

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #13
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I could make a big list about all of my stories, but long story short, me being a motorcyclist/marine applicant has gotten me off with a warning every time.

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #14
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
27 > 25, therefore speeding (trust me, I'm a scientist!)

In my experience, cops don't care by how much you are exceeding the speed limit in school zones or residential areas. It is a LIMIT and unless otherwise specified, they are completely justified in ticketing you for even 1 MPH over that limit. We are all accustomed to there being a 5-10 MPH cushion over that number, but that doesn't mean the police officer has done anything wrong for ticketing you for exceeding the speed limit by any amount, and that cushion certainly doesn't exist in these sorts of areas.

WRT my experiences with police, being contrite and acknowledging that you were breaking the law is usually (meaning >80% of the time) enough to get you off with a warning. Even if you're just being a moron and don't have an excuse, being polite and admitting to being in the wrong goes a long way. It seems like you've experienced the same thing, but you've got to make that extra jump to accepting responsibility to realize real "traffic stop zen."
I understand doing two over is breaking the law. But it's not like I was trying to speed. I was going with the flow of traffic and there's no way in hell I was doing the '40 then 37' that he said. I'm not claiming I did nothing wrong, but I won't sit there and be told I was doing 12-15 over when I wasn't. I drive through three school zones in my town daily and am yet to have a hitch for speeding.

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #15
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
That is the beginning of the Return from James Bay, Quebec. we got pulled over in Timmins Ontario.
Oh hell, my bad . Must be the blonde. Thats the uh other side

Old April 11th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #16
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Knock on wood, I haven't been pulled over since about 2003.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #17
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I read somewhere that the police in some areas are ticketing for 1 over....zero tolerance. I think it was in the Dragon area.

Old April 11th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #18
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
I read somewhere that the police in some areas are ticketing for 1 over....zero tolerance. I think it was in the Dragon area.
Never have police here ever been like that. As long as you're under 10mph over they usually won't mess with you unless they don't like you or you're obnoxious.

Old April 11th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #19
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
When I was riding my ER-6n, got pulled over when reaching a police roadblock. The police who pulled me asked me not to switch off my bike.

He continuously played with the throttle while asking questions such as "how much is your monthly installment", "How fast is the top speed", "any other colour than this", and the best question of all was "Why does it sound like a sewing machine?"

Last futzed with by Abu_Mishary; April 11th, 2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammatical corrections
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #20
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Over more than 40 years of riding; my tickets represent somewhere an average of 3 cents or less per offence!

I NEVER have had a bad experience with an officer no matter how much over the speed limit. But I've always been polite, cooperative, honest and agree with what they say. There have been a couple of times they've seemed a bit stiff or grumpy at first but they've always ended in a pleasant conversation even if only a short one.
Even if I actually receive a ticket; I've always considered all the times I've not been caught so to speak. And always; there's a time & a place which nowadays is the track apart from normal over the limit traffic flow.
...ok; that last part of that last sentence is is only 90% true!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 12th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #21
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I got a ticket because I saw a bigger bike and wanted to play with him. Officer caught me, I pulled over, took my key out, and placed it on the ground (it was someone's advice here, @adouglas iirc? I remember they had a GSX-R). Well, anyway, Mr. Chippy asked me where the key was (I suspect he may have thought it was stolen), and I pointed to it. He asked why it was on the ground with his best "What are you, stupid?!" look on his face, and I explained it was to show that I had no intention of running from him. He'd apparently never seen that before, but it DEFINITELY awarded me some brownie points with him and let him trust me a little more. I have nothing but respect for that guy and wish no badness upon him, after getting out my initial grumpiness and coming to my senses a while later.

I still sped everywhere for a while after that. It just felt unnaturally slow to go the speed limit, or even 5 over for that matter. But my second warning didn't come from the bronze. It came from the dirt and asphalt. It's been about a year and my bad habits have been cured after taking a much needed break from the bike, and it looks like I won't crash anytime soon.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #22
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
North Carolina was advertising that a few weeks ago, I think it started just before Easter.

Old April 12th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
(it was someone's advice here, @adouglas iirc? I remember they had a GSX-R). .
Wasn't me.

I've been pipped for speeding on the bike a couple of times. I pull over, get off the bike and remove my helmet. When the officer asks to see the registration I ask permission to open the tail up to get at it. Similar with the license... sometimes my wallet is in my backpack and I want to give the guy a heads-up so he knows I'm not going for a weapon.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #24
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
There are good cops and there are bad cops. There are even good cops who've had a bad day.

I've gotten off for 30 over in a 45, and I've gotten a ticket for 5 over in a 75. I have however, never had a bad encounter with LE. First thing, realize that you've broken the law. Second, do not admit to anything, but remain courteous and respectful. I got pulled over again a couple of months ago, late at night, on a quick road trip. 88 in a 75. At first cop thought I was drunk, but after he handed me my "performance award" (poor performance if you ask me, I can do better. ) we shook hands and had a good rest of the trip. Every now and again I (we?) need to be reminded how things work, lol.

Also, budget for it, right alongside tires and gas. :P

Good to see you have a good attitude about it man.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old April 12th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #25
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
55,000 miles I have been pulled over once while riding. I (in the words of the cop) blew through a stop sign at 15 mph. I was making a sharp left so I was lucky.

He asked me if I always do that. I did not answer that question, but I have been blowing thought that stop sign almost daily for 15 years when I do not see anyone around. (He was hiding). He asked if I "even have it inspected" I showed him were the sticker was.

He handed me my performance award and told me he rides and I do not need to put my feet down but I do need to come close to a stop.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #26
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
North Carolina was advertising that a few weeks ago, I think it started just before Easter.
That sounds right. From my understanding other areas were going to do this too.

Old April 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #27
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
That sounds right. From my understanding other areas were going to do this too.
I've had arguments on other forums over speed limits. I ride 9 mph over the limit on the highways almost all the time. Because I've always gotten away with it. But I think it's funny that we have this attitude like we are entitled to go 10 MPH over the limit without a ticket.

What other laws get enforced that way?

I mean hey I only stole $20 from the bank so I shouldn't go to jail right? Or I only hit that guy in the bar once so it wasn't really an assault right?

But I've even heard DOT employees say that they set the speed limit 10 MPH below what they think it should be because they know everyone will speed by 10 MPH.

Even though I don't currently drive that way, I really do think the speed limits should be set appropriately and then enforced strictly.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old April 12th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #28
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
But I've even heard DOT employees say that they set the speed limit 10 MPH below what they think it should be because they know everyone will speed by 10 MPH.

Even though I don't currently drive that way, I really do think the speed limits should be set appropriately and then enforced strictly.
I think driving laws are pretty fair, here in the US for the most part, with the exception of the interstates. I think the Germans got it figured out. 100MPH, especially on a bike isn't all that crazy. Its all about time and place. Why can't I do 100 or 120 when I'm out in the middle of nowhere trying to make good time?

Old April 12th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #29
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
I think driving laws are pretty fair, here in the US for the most part, with the exception of the interstates. I think the Germans got it figured out. 100MPH, especially on a bike isn't all that crazy. Its all about time and place. Why can't I do 100 or 120 when I'm out in the middle of nowhere trying to make good time?
That goes along with setting the speed limits appropriately. I think it really depends upon the road and conditions. On a bright sunny day out in Wyoming 100 MPH is very reasonable. On a rainy day, at night, or on an interstate in a city it's insane.

Old April 12th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #30
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That goes along with setting the speed limits appropriately. I think it really depends upon the road and conditions. On a bright sunny day out in Wyoming 100 MPH is very reasonable. On a rainy day, at night, or on an interstate in a city it's insane.
I can agree 100%.

Old April 12th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #31
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Was warned for braking hard and late on the bike.
Was questioned after attempting to fit my bike into an elevator.
Was ticketed after an accident in my car.

Could've been worse, I've been lucky with speeding and know the speed trap spots around here well enough.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #32
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
Was warned for braking hard and late on the bike.
Was questioned after attempting to fit my bike into an elevator.
Was ticketed after an accident in my car.

Could've been worse, I've been lucky with speeding and know the speed trap spots around here well enough.
Did you finally get it into the elevator? Got pics?

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2016, 10:35 AM   #33
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
Did you finally get it into the elevator? Got pics?
Unfortunately it didn't. I was really bummed about that.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #34
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
Unfortunately it didn't. I was really bummed about that.
It takes time to learn how to clutch up a Ninja 250 R
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old April 13th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #35
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
It takes time to learn how to clutch up a Ninja 250 R
I was pretty sure you couldn't on a stock clutch. With new springs it seems fairly capable though. (Haven't done it yet, but I did dump the clutch at 10k (while going wide open) stationary in first gear on the stock clutch and the wheel went maybe 1" up)

Old April 13th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #36
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
I was pretty sure you couldn't on a stock clutch. With new springs it seems fairly capable though. (Haven't done it yet, but I did dump the clutch at 10k (while going wide open) stationary in first gear on the stock clutch and the wheel went maybe 1" up)
You need to add body English too. I've never intentionally wheelied anything from a standstill!

Old April 13th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #37
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
You need to add body English too. I've never intentionally wheelied anything from a standstill!
I guess I've gotten so used to over powered motorcycles I forgot about pulling the bike up. Well, maybe it is possible on a completely stock 250.

Old April 13th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #38
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
What other laws get enforced that way?
Some white collar crimes get pretty close.

On topic: I haven't been stopped on a bike. I have been ticketed for a loud exhaust, but I was driving a GTI at the time. It was the first ticket I had ever received, and I was not particularly pleased about it. When he put on his lights, I was driving the speed limit (literally, no 10 over or anything) and moved over to the right to get out of his way - surely he was off to go stop someone who posed a danger to...anyone at all. This apparently upset him further, and he questioned me about pulling off to the right. I also had the naivety to think measurable quantities like decibel level would actually need to be measured or proven, but fortunately the opinion of our officers is infallible. Hurray courts.

Old April 14th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #39
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Saw one at the car wash yesterday... He was washing his cruiser. I told him thank you.... Sometimes you should just be thankful they are out there. Every time they stop someone they could be saving someone else's life.

Now back to topic.

I am always polite when I get pulled over, I always say thank you and have a nice day. I have never been pulled over for not doing anything wrong, it's normally speeding. And yes I have been given a lot of tickets.

Old April 23rd, 2016, 04:35 AM   #40
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
I had a police encounter last weekend.

My daughter and I signed up for the Officer Down Memorial Page fund raiser ride. About 600 bikes participated, probably 1/3-1/2 were cops. We did a 50 mile poker run, had lunch, listened to music, talked a lot of BS, looked at a lot of nice bikes and had a great time.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.