ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 27th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #1
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: ALi

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Transmission noises when shifting (clunking sound)

took out my ninaj 250 finally with some good weather and i noticed a little clunking sound when going into first gear its like a small click when i put into first gear my clutch is all the way in and no gas is being applied and also happens when i upshift into any of the other gears any ideas??

also when i am sitting at a red light i smell like there is something burning like a oil/gas smell so i dont know if i am burning oil or not the bike rides perfectly fine in all of the rpm range. maybe i might need a tune up like spark plugs etc?

thanks
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #2
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

The transmission is noisy, it will click, klunk, and whine and you'll get used to it.

As for the gas/oil smell, the bike might be richly tuned or you got stuff on your exhaust pipe.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
You could have a small oil leak in the front of the valve cover, dripping onto the exhaust pipes.

Old February 27th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Clutch cable needs adjusting? - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Clutch_%26_Transmission
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
........i noticed a little clunking sound when going into first gear its like a small click when i put into first gear.........
Another possible cause: excessive play here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_shim_the_cush_drive
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I used to worry about little stuff when I was young.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2017, 05:24 AM   #7
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Just to be on the safe side, dip your oil & check the consistency, these bikes are known to have leaky petcocks from time to time that can leak fuel throught the carbs & into the engine crankcase ! The clutches are very noisy especially once worn, with a load knocking noise at idle. Most bikes clunk to some degree when selecting 1st gear, if your changes are timed correctly they do not clunk aftert that other than the odd 1st-2nd change which passes through neutral & is a longer throw than the rest.

YMMV have fun
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #8
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

alright thanks i will check out what the problem is hopefully nothing to big

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Changed the oil lately?

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #10
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Changed the oil lately?
yes i did a oil change before the season started oh and that reminds me when the bike is on a straight what should the oil level be ? should it be half full or no oil in the sight glass??

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
yes i did a oil change before the season started oh and that reminds me when the bike is on a straight what should the oil level be ? should it be half full or no oil in the sight glass??
Here's some info on that - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

What oil did you use?

Old February 28th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #12
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Here's some info on that - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

What oil did you use?
5w-40

Old February 28th, 2017, 10:18 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
5w-40
Rotella T6 - right?

If so, you are good in that department.

Old February 28th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #14
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
A little clunk going into first gear?

Within the limits of normal.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #15
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Rotella T6 - right?

If so, you are good in that department.
no not t6 it was castrol edge 5w-40 is there a bigg difference between the 2 oils?

Old February 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Don't get too worried about exactly what oil you're using. I use Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 (not synthetic).

Old February 28th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #17
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
no not t6 it was castrol edge 5w-40 is there a bigg difference between the 2 oils?
Well...here's the issue...

Normal automotive oils have changed over the years. They used to be fine for cycle engines - but not any more.

Because cycle engines have "solid" valvetrains (no rollers) they require certain additives to protect the high pressure contact points on the cams and rockers from galling before the oil gets to them on start-up. Those additives - Zinc and Phosphorus or ZDDP - have been significantly reduced in current auto oils in order to extend the life of emissions catalysts. Auto engine designers adapted to that by incorporating roller valvetrains that don't experience the same type of pressures that traditional "solid" valvetrains do, and don't need high levels of ZDDP.

Standard auto oils just do not have adequate levels of ZDDP to protect cycle cams and rockers. The easiest solution is to use a diesel oil like Rotella or Delvac. Diesel oils are not required to adhere to the same restrictions as automotive oils, and have much higher levels of ZDDP - which is what you need.

One common misconception about auto oils is that they contain "Friction Modifiers" (Moly) that may make a wet clutch slip. That's only true for oils in the 30-grade (5W-30, 10W-30, etc) and under range, and no 40-grade oils have them. BUT that doesn't make standard auto 40-grade oils safe for use in cycle engines.

Just use a diesel oil like Rotella and you have everything you need - plus they are very reasonably priced, especially in gallons.

Old February 28th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Valvoline VR1 appears to have slightly more ZDDP than Rotalla T6. Rotella T6 appears to be a group III non-synthetic that passes as a synthetic in the US. This is good oil, but not synthetic. Some test results I read indicate that VR1 has about 1.5 times the film strength of Rotella T6. It also showed that ZDDP content is not a good indication of film strength, protection of flat tappet lifters, etc..

I'm not crazy about multigrades like 5w-40 because the base stock is so thin, and the 40 comes from some hefty additives.

And as I said before, it's really not worth worrying too much about oil, other than to change it regularly and keep enough in the engine.

Old March 1st, 2017, 06:37 AM   #19
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well...here's the issue...

Normal automotive oils have changed over the years. They used to be fine for cycle engines - but not any more.

Because cycle engines have "solid" valvetrains (no rollers) they require certain additives to protect the high pressure contact points on the cams and rockers from galling before the oil gets to them on start-up. Those additives - Zinc and Phosphorus or ZDDP - have been significantly reduced in current auto oils in order to extend the life of emissions catalysts. Auto engine designers adapted to that by incorporating roller valvetrains that don't experience the same type of pressures that traditional "solid" valvetrains do, and don't need high levels of ZDDP.

Standard auto oils just do not have adequate levels of ZDDP to protect cycle cams and rockers. The easiest solution is to use a diesel oil like Rotella or Delvac. Diesel oils are not required to adhere to the same restrictions as automotive oils, and have much higher levels of ZDDP - which is what you need.

One common misconception about auto oils is that they contain "Friction Modifiers" (Moly) that may make a wet clutch slip. That's only true for oils in the 30-grade (5W-30, 10W-30, etc) and under range, and no 40-grade oils have them. BUT that doesn't make standard auto 40-grade oils safe for use in cycle engines.

Just use a diesel oil like Rotella and you have everything you need - plus they are very reasonably priced, especially in gallons.

ok so i should do the oil change as soon as possible and get rid of all the old oil and replace it with the rotella T6 5w-40 also will i need to replace the oil filter?
or could i just use the same filter? the filter only has like 120 km or so same on the oil

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:03 AM   #20
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
ok so i should do the oil change as soon as possible and get rid of all the old oil and replace it with the rotella T6 5w-40 also will i need to replace the oil filter?
or could i just use the same filter? the filter only has like 120 km or so same on the oil
That's up to you. In the short term I don't believe it's going to cause any problems, but overall a diesel oil is a much better choice.

I wouldn't ditch the filter if you decided to change. You could loosen the cover and drain the oil without removing the filter.

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:18 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Valvoline VR1 appears to have slightly more ZDDP than Rotalla T6. Rotella T6 appears to be a group III non-synthetic that passes as a synthetic in the US. This is good oil, but not synthetic. Some test results I read indicate that VR1 has about 1.5 times the film strength of Rotella T6. It also showed that ZDDP content is not a good indication of film strength, protection of flat tappet lifters, etc..

I'm not crazy about multigrades like 5w-40 because the base stock is so thin, and the 40 comes from some hefty additives.

And as I said before, it's really not worth worrying too much about oil, other than to change it regularly and keep enough in the engine.
Couple things -

VR1 isn't a standard auto oil, so it has better levels and is safe to use in a cycle engine.

T6 is a Group III as you said. It's the lowest level "synthetic" and is not allowed to be called "synthetic" in Europe. That said, it's far superior to most conventional oils in the same range. "Synthetic" just means the molecular structure is closed, unlike conventional oil that has an open structure. A closed structure flows better and holds together better in extreme conditions.

You won't see a 5W-40 conventional oil. It requires to much Viscosity Improvers to reach that range, as a conventional oil starts at the low (W) range and uses viscosity improvers to get to the high range. When a conventional oil breaksdown it drops to the low (base) range - not good. Synthetic oils start at the high range, and don't use viscosity improvers to alter the viscosity. That's why a synthetic doesn't breakdown and lose viscosity with extreme heat like conventional oil does.

The issue I have with 20W-50 is that it's just too thick. It may have more film strength (heavier oils usually do) but it moves slower inside the engine and builds more oil pressure. Thicker oil also carries heat away slower. 20W-50 conventional oils were designed back-in-the-day to combat the breakdown of conventional oil from excessive heat, like in a Big Twin in traffic in the middle of summer. Water cooled engines don't need it, and it's no advantage.

T6 isn't The Best oil out there, but it's more than adequate and safe to use in a cycle engine. It's also reasonably inexpensive and easy to find.

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:21 AM   #22
kawasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Couple things -

VR1 isn't a standard auto oil, so it has better levels and is safe to use in a cycle engine.

T6 is a Group III as you said. It's the lowest level "synthetic" and is not allowed to be called "synthetic" in Europe. That said, it's far superior to most conventional oils in the same range. "Synthetic" just means the molecular structure is closed, unlike conventional oil that has an open structure. A closed structure flows better and holds together better in extreme conditions.

You won't see a 5W-40 conventional oil. It requires to much Viscosity Improvers to reach that range, as a conventional oil starts at the low (W) range and uses viscosity improvers to get to the high range. When a conventional oil breaksdown it drops to the low (base) range - not good. Synthetic oils start at the high range, and don't use viscosity improvers to alter the viscosity. That's why a synthetic doesn't breakdown and lose viscosity with extreme heat like conventional oil does.

The issue I have with 20W-50 is that it's just too thick. It may have more film strength (heavier oils usually do) but it moves slower inside the engine and builds more oil pressure. Thicker oil also carries heat away slower. 20W-50 conventional oils were designed back-in-the-day to combat the breakdown of conventional oil from excessive heat, like in a Big Twin in traffic in the middle of summer. Water cooled engines don't need it, and it's no advantage.

T6 isn't The Best oil out there, but it's more than adequate and safe to use in a cycle engine. It's also reasonably inexpensive and easy to find.
ok so if T6 isnt the best out there i would want only the best for my bike money inst the problem but i do want the best brand and oil so what would that be?

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:27 AM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
ok so if T6 isnt the best out there i would want only the best for my bike money inst the problem but i do want the best brand and oil so what would that be?
Group V Ester-based motorcycle-specific synthetic like Motul 300V, Repsol, or Redline oils are going to be The Best.

For most riding conditions it's not necessary.

For you, Up Nort, Rotella T6 5W-40 is a good choice because it flows better in low temps.

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:59 AM   #24
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'm not promoting VR1, but it's available in 10w-30, and the tests I read showed that version had better film strength than Rotella, and only very slightly lower than Redline Racing Oil.

My point really is that any decent quality oil will be fine in a Ninja 250 I'd bet that Walmart brand oil would be just fine in our bikes. I've used it for years in a variety of flat tappet engines around here.

Also, it's looking like all the talk about ZDDP is more hype than reality, because an oil's film strength, and therefore probably its suitability for use with non-roller lifters, is not very closely related to ZDDP content.

Lots of guys use Rotella in these bikes, and have proven that it works well. Its price is reasonable.

For guys who may be concerned about oil brand, search for something like "motor oil film strength testing" and do some research. Just watch out for advertising that has the goal of getting you to spend big bucks.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; March 1st, 2017 at 09:03 AM.