ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 7th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #1
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): EX250F

Help with Tire

Any problem with using the Shinko 130/80P-16 tire found here

https://www.amazon.com/Shinko-SR568R...n%3A6131680011

I just don't recognize what 80"P" means or how it differs from standard 80.
jcmd13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
P is a speed rating, meaning 93 mph. H is 130, V is 149, etc..
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #3
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

Ok, Thanks. My fat ass won't be getting the 250 to 93mph so it should be fine.

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #4
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
personally I would spend the extra money and get a little better tire. this one is not bad http://www.ebay.com/itm/130-80-16-Pi...VXGoY3&vxp=mtr there are others out there for even more but if your trying to keep the price down this one is probable it.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #5
jcmd13
ninjette.org member

Does it have better traction or longer life? What makes it more appealing? I'm new to riding and haven't had much road time to know the difference first hand yet.

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #6
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
it does have good traction for anything on the street and the add may say its a bias ply but it is really a radial tire, and its dual compound to have a little more life in the center and good traction on the sides.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
personally I would spend the extra money and get a little better tire. this one is not bad http://www.ebay.com/itm/130-80-16-Pi...VXGoY3&vxp=mtr there are others out there for even more but if your trying to keep the price down this one is probable it.
I agree - Pirelli Diablo Scooters are a pretty hard to beat for the money. We just put a second set on our Ninja Beater. My son likes them better than the more expensive and shorter-wearing Pirelli MT75s - which are still pretty good.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #8
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

Another cost effective popular option is the Kenda Cruiser K671 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D2CPRQ...FZ39T2QH&psc=1 ).

But, this is a 130 / 90 tire, and is slightly larger than stock. If you are replacing both the front and rear, than the matching front is available in 100 / 90. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D2CPVC...UMD5HBJS&psc=1 )

$125 shipped for the pair. I am installing these on one of my Pregen 250 now.

Old December 7th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #9
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

There is also this option Kenda K763 Street Tire -130/80-16 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005633ANK...I2L3035894PM1D ), but I have no experience with it myself.

Old December 7th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I put a set of Avon Viper Strykes on my Derbi with 16" wheels. They were $129 delivered for the set from MotorcycleSuperstore (IIRC).

I don't have a lot of time on them, but they seem to be pretty decent.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'm running Bridgestone BT45s on mine, and I haven't been able to make either one break loose in a turn, and I've tried pretty hard. I'm impressed by Avon tires though. Their Roadriders are very sticky.

Old December 13th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #12
NinJim
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250-3x; CBR600 & R6 (track bikes); lots of dirt stuff

Go with Shinko

You have received a lot of advice, but not an answer to the question you asked.
Yes, you will be fine using the Shinko.

Order them, pop them on and ride. Your riding skills will improve as the tire wears. When you need you next set, you will have your own opinions of how you ride and what tire is required for your bike.

They are good tires. I have a KTM 400EXC, which I converted to a Dual Sport. I use a Shinko 50/50 aggressive tread. I'm in Utah so it's 75+ on the super-slab to get to great desert roads where I can run 90+ with my buds. I've had this set on for three summers.

If they can take the off road abuse I give them. You will be happy with them. I think it's more important to ride than fret over the "right" tire. Any of them will serve you well. It's just a matter of $$$.
Cheers,
NinJim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #13
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJim View Post

Order them, pop them on and ride. Your riding skills will improve as the tire wears. When you need you next set, you will have your own opinions of how you ride and what tire is required for your bike.
Valid point and good advice.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:57 AM   #14
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark Stealth, 2005 Honda Rebel Bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJim View Post

They are good tires. I have a KTM 400EXC, which I converted to a Dual Sport. I use a Shinko 50/50 aggressive tread. I'm in Utah so it's 75+ on the super-slab to get to great desert roads where I can run 90+ with my buds. I've had this set on for three summers.

If they can take the off road abuse I give them. You will be happy with them. I think it's more important to ride than fret over the "right" tire. Any of them will serve you well. It's just a matter of $$$.
Cheers,
Wondering what tires you're running on the Ninja 250? I'm in Utah as well and building a little scrambler out of mine. Searching for decent enduro tires that doesn't make me have to go with the 17's.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:37 PM   #15
NinJim
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250-3x; CBR600 & R6 (track bikes); lots of dirt stuff

Start a new thread

Hi ThrottleGirl,
Moab is a true off road wonderland and my favorite place to ride. I bring several bikes when I come down (from SLC), so I can ride all the trails from graded dirt to the Slick Rock Trail and 5MOH.

Please start a new Thread and describe your plans for your Ninja "scrambler". I think you will be surprised how many riders will be interested in your plans and pitch in with good suggestions.

Waiting to hear more about the project.

I have three Ninjas. I would have to go and check before offering an accurate reply. But quite frankly they all seem to get the job done.

Cheers,
NinJim
NinJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2017, 08:20 PM   #16
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ducati Diavel Dark Stealth, 2005 Honda Rebel Bobber

NinJim - are you running nobbies or street tires and you like those rear wheel slides? Ha. Dirt will always be my first love. I've been recovering from a ligament issue so have to stick to a small, easy dirt-friendly bike and am hoping this build will be it. I'll start a new thread, good idea. It should help to keep me from hijacking everyone else's threads .

Old July 4th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #17
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I love using pirelli, great tires for the price. I am using the pirelli Diablo tires, I always use pirelli on any two wheel vehicle. Great traction, and they last. For the price you can't beat it. You get what you pay for, don't try to buy too cheap. I've learned that out the hard way.
NaturalFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

They're not always ideal. I ran Pirelli Sport Demons on my Moto Guzzi Mille GT. They were really great for a little while, then the rear wore out early and the front got squirrely and started falling into turns.

Old July 4th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #19
ThrottleGirl
ninjette.org member

They were the only brand who made tires for my Ducati Diavel for years. I was shocked by how quickly they wore out, but I had just come off the Harley V-Rod and wasn't used to the difference in sport tire rubber compound. I now have a choice, but don't think I'll switch it up on my next set. I like knowing what to expect from my tires. Especially in heavy rain and potentially icy conditions. I'd just be happy finding a set of enduro tires to fit these 16" requirements, dang it!

Old July 4th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #20
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

Well I'm not saying they are the best. Michelin is also a good choice but I really like pirelli. I either buy Michelin or pirelli, whichever is on sale. But I like pirelli a little more. It's a recommendation not a fact, people have their preference on what they like.

Old July 4th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

J, some brands and models of that brand work on particular bikes better than others. When you find a good tire for a bike you own, stick with it. I was just saying that although I've heard great things about Pirelli tires, sometimes they're not the best for a particular application.

Old July 4th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #22
NaturalFlavored
ninjette.org guru

That is true. But this is also a 250 more of a cruiser. I bought this kind because it's sporty, not a racer. I like to Cruise.