ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #1
mr.niftie
4 Season Need 4 Speed

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, 2009 (GONE) Honda CBR250RA, 2011

took a ride on a Ducati 748

Went out yesterday to enjoy a nice, and somewhat chilly, Fall day.
Me on my 250 and my buddy on his 748.
Half way through the ride, he shocks me with a "let's swap bikes".
This is not a stock bike and it's dyno'd at just over 110HP so not only was I intimidated but sure did not want to smash up this banana yellow beauty either!
I have sat on this bike and lusted it after it for years. Hoping to one day "step up". Now, I'm not so sure.
The bike is telepathic. Your lower half is as one with this bike. You can steer and lean just by moving your hips.
But it is a hard bike to drive slow. And my neck from that drving position . . . It still aches today!
My buddy actaully gave the Ninja a good review. He said it was a very stable, fun, and comfortable drive. But at 80kmh, he was hunting for the next gear and there were no more.
So to sum it up . . . It was a fun ride and that bike pulled like a freight train . . . but perhaps my future lust has changed just a little!
mr.niftie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Sometimes a brief taste of what you lust after can really help put things into perspective. I know a lot of people get swept up in the excitement over the bigger supersports, but sometimes these things are just a huge PITA...literally if you're a taller rider.

In any case, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this ducati would you?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
mr.niftie
4 Season Need 4 Speed

Well, I'm over 6' so I don't know if that qualifies as tall or not.
I've attached a picture and his bike looks just like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ducati-748.jpg (31.1 KB, 15 views)

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #4
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

An acquaintance of mine hates her 2009 Ducati 696. The ergos are hard on her back and puts too much pressure on her wrists over long distances. She's wanting the Kawi N-650 but the trade they are offering is poor on the Duc. I'm thinkin she bought the Duc for the esthetics and the "I ride a Ducati" image. Did not take into consideration its ergos and performance. Not to mention it seems like its always being repaired.

Last futzed with by addy126; November 20th, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Correction on model and year.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #5
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Ducati bikes are known to be ergonomic torture racks sacrificed in the name of performance, even more so than the big 4's supersports and superbikes
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6
mr.niftie
4 Season Need 4 Speed

Who knew? Not me.
They are sure sexy too look at and sit on but it sure didn't fit me to ride.
I'd be seeing my chiropractor daily.

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
kkim

Aren't you glad you didn't marry that supermodel?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.niftie View Post
Well, I'm over 6' so I don't know if that qualifies as tall or not.
I've attached a picture and his bike looks just like it.
Ohhh yea that's the babe....wonderful looking bike. I love the sound they make as well.

But as many have alluded to already, its a tough bike to live with. Especially when compared to the sheer simplicity and easy going nature of the little 250.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

yellow 748 here just sold for 6450 with 2500 miles and dealer replaced belts before sale. it is a beautiful bike. agree sometimes you lust for somehting then ride or drive it and say ok, been there done that.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've never had a bike that didn't fit, just a few that took time to get used to.

Old November 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #11
mr.niftie
4 Season Need 4 Speed

For me, this bike absolutely did no fit.
When in position, I had to stretch my neck so far back to look ahead it was just plain uncomfortable for me.
My buddy is shorter than me and he says his body aches after a long ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I've never had a bike that didn't fit, just a few that took time to get used to.

Old November 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #12
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

yeah there is a Duc like that on craigslist locally....its actually a 1998 who would have known......locally the person is selling it for 4000 with I think like 9,xxx miles
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #13
LuxMundi
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R Black

Talking in 6th at 80k ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.niftie View Post
My buddy actaully gave the Ninja a good review. He said it was a very stable, fun, and comfortable drive. But at 80kmh, he was hunting for the next gear and there were no more.
I'm pretty new, so it's probably not wise to question someone with more experience; however...

I think if you have it in 6th gear at 80kmh, might need to wind it out a little. There should be 2 more. Maybe 3 more???

As for DUCs, I have wanted one since Trinity tore it up in the Matrix, on that 996. I lusted over a 600TT at a consignment place while I was bike shopping, but I am SO glad I passed it over for my ninjette. I have benefited so much from learning on the 250, but that dream is still there!
LuxMundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Pick up a cheap Buell XB12R or 1125R, even an old used XB9R. Only had mine up to about 90mph so far, but it will do that in 3rd, 4th, or 5th and have lots of room to spare in all three gears. Will go 70 in second up at red, and the torque is pretty massive. Goes from nothing to the end of first faster than I can handle, and the end of second is only a second or so away from that. I can slalom the dotted lines at 60 (remember I've been out of riding for about 10 years and only on my third real trip on the 9R). Extremely happy and currently way cheaper than a Duc, especially with the fire sales. The Ducs may look like sex on wheels, but I don't think I would ever buy one. We'll see what KTM brings to market for similar performance machines.

Now if we can only get HD to allow someone to buy the Buell brand and sell that Barracuda (full faired version of the 1125, fits right in with conventional sport bike styling for mass appeal and hooligan performance).
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #15
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I will say my friend had a Duc 900 SS as his first bike and never had a single problem with it....used. I rode it for 5 mins one day and accidentally did a wheeley down the street with it...then thing had LOADs of torque. As for actual speed, my friends 04 CBR 600 was faster to 60, but then Duc was SO much more fun to 60 with the torque curve.

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #16
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

I don't know about the 748 specifically but Duc's are known to have agressive positions even compared to other super sports. The first time I rode my GSXR I thought it would be too much (the riding position) but after a while I got used to it. I feel fine on 100 mile trips but have yet to do longer trips. The thing that annoys me the most is the neck pain, which isn't helped by my heavy helmet (scorpion exo700)
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #17
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
An acquaintance of mine hates her 2009 Ducati 696. The ergos are hard on her back and puts too much pressure on her wrists over long distances. She's wanting the Kawi N-650 but the trade they are offering is poor on the Duc. I'm thinkin she bought the Duc for the esthetics and the "I ride a Ducati" image. Did not take into consideration its ergos and performance. Not to mention it seems like its always being repaired.
Interesting post.

I thought the Monster 696 would have better/standard ergonomics which would make it better for long rides compared to their super sport bikes ergo wise. Is the N-650 actually the ER-6N...aka naked version of the 650r ?? Are the ergonomics really that much better then the Duc Monster 696 for your friend?
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
This is a great post. Good info. I would have thought the Ducati would have better ergos than it does.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #19
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Dug View Post
Interesting post.

I thought the Monster 696 would have better/standard ergonomics which would make it better for long rides compared to their super sport bikes ergo wise. Is the N-650 actually the ER-6N...aka naked version of the 650r ?? Are the ergonomics really that much better then the Duc Monster 696 for your friend?
Yes Doug for her the ergos of the K-650 is far better than the pitch on the Duc 696. She can't do over 2 hours or any long distance runs without feelin it. Ohhh and this week its been in the shop for repair again. There seems to be a huge power drain that sucks the battery dry overnite. Battery tender and all doesnt help. Will get it out for a run and that next morning dead. Further there was a recall on this model for "electronic harness problems".. that has all been replaced and took over a week here in Dallas. The service on the Duc in this area I hear is terrible. She now far prefers as she says the "Jap" bikes...... and regrets the day she signed on for the Duc. They indicated that if they can't get this whole thing straightened out, performance wise, they may look at finding a replacement..... I'm thinkin is any one better than her current model of Duc. They should just have her opt out of the loan and go elsewhere... but hey its a new week coming we'll see if its in the shop again, she's getting it today... I'm banking on the fact its back in the shop next weekend! You wanna buy her Duc dug?

Old November 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I want that nice Ducati V-Twin sound, but on a less aggressive frame setup.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #21
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Tell her to get a Buell, what could be more rare. The XB9R and XB12R are a bit compact but so far nothing that I can't adjust to. If she wants a streetfighter style the S models might be just the thing, and if they can find any the new price is outrageously low right now. Or an 1125 which has even lower prices, and is water cooled.

Old November 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #22
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

That 696 does pitch you into the tank - especially noticed by us males. I have heard of some problems on the 696 recently.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #23
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

The Duc is a super bike that is not designed to be ridden any great distance. The Duc is happy on a track. A friend has a red one and it is sort of a "Collector thing" He rides it for an hour on ocassion, and that`s about it. He has two other motorcycles and a dozen bicycles. I see the Duc as a formula car---really not made for the street, but a very important machine from the historical standpoint---definitely a collectible.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #24
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Tell her to get a Buell, what could be more rare. .
Greg... I've noticed you are having a terrible time with this Buell thing....

Old November 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #25
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
The Duc is a super bike that is not designed to be ridden any great distance. The Duc is happy on a track. A friend has a red one and it is sort of a "Collector thing" He rides it for an hour on ocassion, and that`s about it. He has two other motorcycles and a dozen bicycles. I see the Duc as a formula car---really not made for the street, but a very important machine from the historical standpoint---definitely a collectible.
I quite agree with you.....

Old November 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #26
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycles are meant to be ridden, not admired in a collection.