ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #1
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Letting someone test ride your for sale bike

This happened on saturday in Rhode Island - weather was a dry 28-35 degrees F.

Warwick police ID man injured in motorcycle crash
7:56 AM Mon, Dec 14, 2009 | Permalink | Write the first comment
By Kate Bramson Email this author | Email this entry

WARWICK, R.I. -- The police have identified the Providence man who was seriously injured Sunday while test driving a motorcycle on Longmeadow Avenue as Paul Doire.

Doire, 30, remains at Rhode Island Hospital Monday morning, Lt. David DeAngelis said Monday.

The police said Doire lost control of a Yamaha street bike he was driving up and down Longmeadow Avenue as he considered buying it from a resident. When Doire lost control of the bike, his head struck a parked car, Lt. Kenneth LaForce said Sunday.

A hospital spokeswoman said she was unable to check his condition at 7:45 a.m. Monday.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Thanks for the warning!
I let someone ride my gsxr when I sold it. Never thought of this!

Never again!
They can watch me ride it. lol
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

You dump it, you buy it.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
You dump it, you buy it.
Hard to buy anything if you're dead.

Hopefully, this man's injuries aren't life-threatening.

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Now that the name came out I see it wasn't Tiger. But who was the blonde woman with the golf club chasing the test rider?

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Now that the name came out I see it wasn't Tiger. But who was the blonde woman with the golf club chasing the test rider?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

When I sell a bike, you buy it and then you get to test ride it. You have about ten minutes to decide if you want the bike and I'll buy it back from you if you don't.

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Most people do require money in hand while test riding. Not sure how they do it at all dealerships, but one I went to required pre-approval before test riding.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #9
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
When I sell a bike, you buy it and then you get to test ride it. You have about ten minutes to decide if you want the bike and I'll buy it back from you if you don't.
That's a good method.

Old December 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Cash in hand (my hand) before you test.

So many people lie about their abilities ("I used to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid" often means "I rode a 80cc dirt bike once ten years ago, for ten minutes....")

Saw this last summer..my buddy sold a sweet, pristine 1980's Kawi to a kid who said he could ride...kid made it about twenty feet, dropped it, cracked the cast alternator cover...so sad.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #11
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

When selling a bike.
1. Must have valid M class motorcycle license, which I verify BEFORE you get to ride it.
2. Must have CASH in hand for the bike.

No license, No cash = NO RIDE.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
When selling a bike.
1. Must have valid M class motorcycle license, which I verify BEFORE you get to ride it.
2. Must have CASH in hand for the bike.

No license, No cash = NO RIDE.
That's the best way I think.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Back in the day, a dude came over to buy one of my brothers bikes. The dude mentioned riding it to the bank to get the money. My brother said OK, and followed on another bike.
Well the dude tried to out run my brother, like 30 miles later he dropped it in an intersection and ran off.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #14
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

bet that happened only once
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

My experience with dealers has been good. I show up on my bike, which is obviously well cared for--sales person looks at milage, MC License, and I go for a ride. Have not found anything I like better than what I have.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

At the dealer where I got my bike, they look at you funny if you as so much sit on a bike, and during the summer the bikes are so close together that you cant physically sit on them. I would love to find a dealer where I could test ride bikes, it would help me out a whole lot in choosing my next bike.

Old December 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #17
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

martins motorsports, where i got my bike in PA, let me sit on the bikes all the time... it was great.
while i was waiting to take my MSF course, i would go there and sit on the bikes all day. Sometimes they had events where they would let you test ride all of a certain brand of bike or something.. cool stuff...

Old December 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #18
backinthesaddleagain

I was at a HD dealer in N Conway NH. They let people sit on bikes, unattended, and you could tell by the scratches in the tanks. The Buells all had scuffed seat cowls from people scraping their shoes on them when getting on or off the bikes. Reminded me of guitar center. Its cool that I can just go and grab a $2000 Les Paul off the shelf and dream. Its uncool that the guitar has a missing knob or a scratch across the back. I think a good compromise is a dealer that will pull out any bike you want to sit on, and kind of balance it upright so you can sit on it with both feet on the pegs. Local HD dealer does that and the bikes are in real show room condition.

Better yet are factory sponsored test rides.

Last futzed with by backinthesaddleagain; December 17th, 2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typos

Old December 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #19
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Here in Switzerland when you go to a dealer for a test ride you sign a form that makes you responsible for the forfeit on the insurance, which would typically be $1000 and they hold your license until you come back.

Steve

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #20
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
When selling a bike.
No cash = NO RIDE.
Exactly: show me the money!
Posted via Mobile Device
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #21
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

When I was buying my bike, some deals fell through because there was no ****ing way I was going to someones house with a couple of grand. Too many scams out there, show me the bike, we go to the bank and I get the cash and you get videotaped.

Old December 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #22
Kalivos
ninjette.org member

Name: private

Motorcycle(s): None

I showed up with $4k in cash in hand when I bought my bike. You can show up with the cash, just don't whip it out and be flashing it everywhere. Keep it inside your locked car or something.
Kalivos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

On another note, if you look closely, most motorcycle policies only cover the policy holder! That means if someone is test riding YOUR motorcycle and they dump it, YOUR insurance ain't gonna pay out!

Cash in hand, you watch me operate the bike, you buy it, and you have about 10 minutes to decide if you still want it (IF you have a motorcycle endorsement on your licenese) or I'll buy it back. You so much as scratch it in that 10 minutes, well, let's just say that resale price then becomes negotiable!

Old December 19th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #24
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

I do my research before buying bikes, so now that I'm in the market for a 600, I've had people tell me "cash in hand or no test ride" before I show up. But when I show up on my bike, ATGATT of course, and ask the right questions they've always just tossed me the keys and told me a quick route to take near their house.

My point is that instead of you guys having these ridiculous policies of "MUST HAVE YOUR ****ING CASH IN MY HAND," try reading between the lines of the person who wants to buy your bike. I will never and have never bought a bike without test riding it first, and I've never had a problem test riding without putting my cash in his hand until the bike was mine. You people who say "oh you can get a feel for it by just sitting on it." That's horse ****. I sat on a ZX-6R, and it felt OK (this is coming from a non-aggressive pre-gen 250r), but once I got rolling and got it on the street, the bike felt ****ing awesome. Had I just gone with what it felt like in his driveway, I would not have bought it. But because he was a) a cool guy and let me test it without cash in his hand and b) the way it felt on the road, I will probably buy his bike. I've also had people act hard and be like "no cash, no ride" so I have told them straight to their face "if I don't test it, I'm definitely not buying it" and I turn around and head to my car. Everyone one of them has stopped me and let me ride it.
This all comes down to common sense, and character appraisal. If the retard shows up wearing a wife beater and flip flops, then by no means don't let him ride. If he shows up ATGATT on his own bike, and asks some intelligent questions, don't be a dick. Let him ride. Because there ARE more people out there like me, and you could be screwing yourself out of a deal. It's a buyers market right now, don't be stupid.

My 2000 cents.

Last futzed with by ASecretNinja; December 19th, 2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typoz
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #25
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
On another note, if you look closely, most motorcycle policies only cover the policy holder! That means if someone is test riding YOUR motorcycle and they dump it, YOUR insurance ain't gonna pay out!!
This is 100% false. Two examples: I have Progressive, and they have a "casual riders clause" stating that anyone who I give permission to ride my bike, is covered under the coverage that I have. Case #2, my friend has AAA insurance, and they have an identical clause. Don't say **** when you clearly don't know what you're talking about. He has an '08 CBR 1000 so he wanted to make damn sure I was covered on the thing when I ride it. Call your agent and get the facts before posting false **** on forums.

Old December 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #26
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by null0 View Post
When I was buying my bike, some deals fell through because there was no ****ing way I was going to someones house with a couple of grand. Too many scams out there, show me the bike, we go to the bank and I get the cash and you get videotaped.
100% agreed. Like I said, its a buyer's market right now. Plus how do I know the guy selling the 600 doesn't have a gang of homies waiting to jump me and take my cash when I go look at his bike? Good luck to anyone demanding cash in hand for a test ride. I won't be buying your bike.

Old December 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Chad, lighten up. What Banzai said isn't 100% false, and is in fact the case on my policy, and some of the other ones I've had in the past. Progressive may cover it, but they also charge 3 times the premium every time I've priced them out, as well. Policies differ. He said most. You said he's 100% wrong, and accused him of posting false **** on forums. You don't have to apologize, but you certainly ought to, as you come across a bit agro.

Second, it sounds like the seller actually risked his bike with you riding it, with no cash in hand, and he still didn't sell it. "Probably" doesn't mean "sold", it means you left with him no better off than before. People may very well find opportunities to ride other people's bikes without putting up cash and promising nothing other than they can choose the right gear and outfit on the way over, and from their perspective, great. But from a seller's perspective, there's no reason for someone to take that risk. If a bike is priced right, it will sell, with zero risk for both parties.

I've sold every one of my bikes at a fair price for both parties, without anyone ever needing a test drive without cash in hand. Anyone who shows up without means to purchase the bike isn't a serious buyer anyway. I do the same thing Rock recommends, and it works great. I.E. the buyer already owns the bike when they are out on the test ride, and I'll agree to buy it back if it's returned in a short while in the same condition as when it left. Here's an example contract folks can use:

Quote:
BILL OF SALE – MOTORCYCLE

May 7, 20XX

For the consideration of $X,000.00 I, Joe Blow, of Anywhere, CA (“Seller”), hereby sell, assign and transfer to Jane Doe, of Nowhere, CA (“Buyer”), the following described motorcycle (“Vehicle”).

Make: XXX
Model: XXX
Year: XXX
VIN: XXXXXXXXXX

Seller states that the mileage reading on the Odometer at time of sale is x,xxx miles. Seller certifies that to the best of Seller’s knowledge, this reading reflects the actual mileage of the Vehicle. Further, the Vehicle’s odometer has not been altered, set back or disconnected while in Seller’s possession, nor does seller have knowledge of anyone else doing so.

Buyer acknowledges the above odometer statement:

_______________________ (Buyer’s Acknowledgement)
Buyer Name

Seller warrants that the Vehicle is free and clear of any liens or encumbrances.

The Vehicle is being transferred on as “AS IS” basis, with no warranties, express or implied, as to the condition of the Vehicle.

Seller certifies the statements made in the Bill of Sale are true, to the best knowledge of the Seller.

TEST RIDE INFORMATION: If Buyer returns vehicle to Seller within 1 hour of purchase, in its original condition (save for additional mileage), Seller will fully refund the sale price and Seller will retain title to the vehicle. Seller’s insurance may not cover the buyer after the purchase/during the test ride. Buyer, as the owner of the vehicle is responsible for insurance coverage from the point of purchase.

________________________Start time of test ride

________________________Buyer’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions
Buyer Name

________________________Seller’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions
Seller Name

Transfer of the Vehicle is effective May 7, 20XX.

__________________________ (Seller)
After the test ride, if all goes well, I sign the title and the happy new owner is on their way.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #28
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
Good luck to anyone demanding cash in hand for a test ride. I won't be buying your bike.
Shrug. That's right - you won't. Not to be a belligerent dick , but I've seen way too many people who claim to ride well and can't to take the chance.
I've bought and sold a couple dozen bikes and I've always insisted on cash before any test ride.
Works fine for me!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #29
null0
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I've sold every one of my bikes at a fair price for both parties, without anyone ever needing a test drive without cash in hand. Anyone who shows up without means to purchase the bike isn't a serious buyer anyway.
Why is buying a bike so different than buying a used car?

Old December 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Because cars don't fall over at a stop.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #31
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Because if someone BSs you about his/her riding ability and has an 'opps' with your car, you're a lot less likely to be out a couple thousand dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #32
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Because if someone BSs you about his/her riding ability and has an 'opps' with your car, you're a lot less likely to be out a couple thousand dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've always wondered what happens if somebody wrecks a car when test driving it. I've purchased 2 cars in my life, one from a random guy, and one from a used car lot(will never make that mistake again). The first time I was handed the keys and I was on my way, and at the used car lot, they made a copy of my drivers license.

Old December 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #33
null0
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Because cars don't fall over at a stop.
That's not really what I meant. Why does common sense seem to lapse when people buy bikes?

Old December 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I dunno, but I understand what you're saying. In some cases people who are new to bikes might think that buying and selling them is exactly the same as dealing with used cars. It's true that there are quite a few similarities, but it's also true that there are some key differences. I think the skill required is one factor, and the fact that it's unwieldy to take a 2-up test drive as easily as you can sit in a car on a test-drive as another. From a contract and paperwork side of it, there are very few differences.

Old December 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #35
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
This is 100% false. Two examples: I have Progressive, and they have a "casual riders clause" stating that anyone who I give permission to ride my bike, is covered under the coverage that I have. Case #2, my friend has AAA insurance, and they have an identical clause. Don't say **** when you clearly don't know what you're talking about. He has an '08 CBR 1000 so he wanted to make damn sure I was covered on the thing when I ride it. Call your agent and get the facts before posting false **** on forums.
How about I ACTUALLY went and READ my F***ING policy to know for a FACT that it's in there that casual riders are SPECIFICALLY NOT ALLOWED? Helps with lower premiums!

The point of my original post was that MOST people JUST DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA what their policy does or does not include. When some asshat wrecks it on a test ride, or runs off with it, and you're left empty handed is NOT the time to find out.

My policy, and that of many riders that I associate with personally and professionally in my area, does not allow casual riders, or imposes a HUGE penalty for loss caused by casual riders (from 3X deductible to NO COVERAGE). Seeing as there are over 250 riders in my group (most with Geico), it MAY in fact be either company or location related.

ETA: I just got off the phone with someone who I know for a fact has the same insurance company as mine (Geico). This is my first motorcycle policy with Geico, and he has renewed recently for the 5th year. Comparing line for line, his does not even mention casual riders! So, it appears that it may be a choice thing, longevity of policy thing, longevity of M license endorsement, length of time since last valid policy from any company, or type of bike thing (his is a Harley, mine is the '08 250). Very interesting that it's not even consistent within the same company! I'll probably call my agent at some point and see how they figure that all out!

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #36
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

Lol A swing and a miss

CHAD strikes again

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #37
backinthesaddleagain

Even an experience rider can drop a bike during a test ride (or any ride). you just never know what can happen, sand, car , big loose dog, whatever. Mrs. Tiger Woods chasing you.

Also no need to flame someone like I saw above. this isn't kawiforums. Banzai made good points based on facts of his policy.

Old December 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #38
esi7esi7

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 09 ZX6R

Cash in hand is how I have done it.

Old December 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #39
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Here in Switzerland when you go to a dealer for a test ride you sign a form that makes you responsible for the forfeit on the insurance, which would typically be $1000 and they hold your license until you come back.

Steve
Don't know if your country has a different law than us but your not suppose to ride without a license in your pocket. You could get a fine $$$.

Old December 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM   #40
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Candy Plasma Blue 250r

When I sold my car it was Cash in hand or leave your car keys w/ me.
untdavid is offline   Reply With Quote