ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 26th, 2024, 05:41 PM   #1
TristanFF
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tristan

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CB500FA, 2009 Kawasaki EX250F Ninja 250r

09 Ninja 250r Fuel system problem. Please Help.

Okay so, my girlfriend has a 2009 Ninja 250r (EX250F) that she purchased second hand from someone and it was running rough. The lady she got it from said that it was probably a leaking petcock. I have been working on getting this thing running nicely but while I’ve made some significant improvements, it’s still not running how I’d like.

Original Symptoms:
Inconsistent rough idle, slow return to idle when revved, strong smell of gas in the exhaust, when revved it would almost die at first then rev up, engine flooded once,

Fixes/issues found so far:
We checked the petcock and it seems to be operating normally (ie. PRI mode allows fuel to flow freely though, ON mode requires vacuum to send fuel), sprayed carb cleaner around the vacuum lines to check for any indication of a vacuum leak and found nothing, changed the gas out for some new premium fuel, sparks were wet after running and very warn so we changed them out for new ones and figured it’s running too rich. We then pulled the carb cleaned it, also one of the floats had fuel inside it which is probably why it was flooding, changed the floats on both carbs. Then checked the oil and it smelled very strongly of fuel. Figure all that unburned fuel had to go somewhere. We changed the oil and filter and that takes us to where we are at now.

The bike is idling more consistantly but still doesn’t like to rev from idle without a lag, still slow to return to idle (although it’s alot better). Exhaust smells less of fuel but still seems to be running a bit rich.

What else could it be, and carb/choke adjustments that I should be aware of?

Any one had this issue in the past and have any idea how to fix it?

Cheers,

Tristan
TristanFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2024, 07:20 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Hello Tristan, welcome!

Here's something that might be of use: https://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/s...-passages.html

Valve adjustment could be part of this too, as could vacuum leaks between the carbs and head.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2024, 07:24 AM   #3
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
AGREE...have valves EVER been checked on this bike?
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2024, 11:24 AM   #4
Fred659
ninjette.org member

Name: Frederic

Motorcycle(s): 08 Race Prepped ZX-10r, 09 Race Prepped Ninja 250 (300 motor). 74 Norton Commando 850 (Project)

I would have a look at this part : 16030-1007

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...rburetor-parts

and make sure that the fuel level is in spec in the bowls.

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/te...at_levels.html
Fred659 is offline   Reply With Quote