Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #41
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
It's $20 here too if you bring in the wheel/tire. $40 if you take the bike in.

Just priced 2 Pirelli MT75's w/ mount and balance having the shop do it all cause I don't have any tools right now. $330+TAX......

I asked if I could trade one of my kids for partial payment, the guy didn't think that was funny. Washington is SO EXPENSIVE......
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #42
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I estimate that over the years, I have logged about 350,000 miles. It is a conservative estimate having ridden since age 18. I am still learning and am also making a lot of mistakes. A 750 Norton handles a lot differently than a Ninjette. If you put the effort it takes to run a Norton through some twisties into a Ninjette, you would in all certainty crash. For a while I had thought of getting a touring bike like a Honda NT700. I would be looking at a 10K price tag. I quickly dismissed that idea, and I can afford the bike, on the other hand10K would pay for a lot of motel rooms and I could travel lighter. I would still have kept the Ninja. It is paid for and set up the way I like it. Back in the 60s we built cafe racers with 500 to 750cc bikes. You were hot s$$$ if your bike could do "The Ton". The Ninja does the ton out of the box--and it is only a 250! We have come a long way. As for feeling inadequate and all that stuff; The only person I need to impress is me. Have you seen the report on the Royal Enfield Bullet 500? It has 19HP at the wheel. That`s the sort of bike we rode in the 60s.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #43
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

One of my professors wanted to see my bike the other day and when she was asking me about it, I told her that average sportbike or "biker" folks wouldn't consider it a "real" motorcycle because of the small engine. That being said, one of the things that I love about the bike is that it really is the perfect street sportbike. Sure a 600 or liter bike would have more power and better components but on the street no one needs a 100+ hp motorcycle. I mean really, it's almost a crime that bikes like that are sold for the street in the first place because they'll never be ridden to their full potential. That requires a track and a world class rider.

I'd much rather take a smaller bike and ride the wheels off it than tool around on a big bike, barely flexing its muscles and hoping the extra power doesn't kill me one day. You learn more and have more fun that way. Any wanker can twist a throttle. I take the same approach to cars. My favorite car was the '91 civic SI hatchback I used to own because it was just sporty enough that I could drive the s#!* out of it without ending up in jail or in the morgue. I think that people confuse owning a better machine with being a better rider/driver.
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #44
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Ill never sell my 250r...even if I do add more bikes to my growing collection. This one is staying in the hanger until the day I die. I finally got one of these little ninja bikes, and Im not giving it up.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #45
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

Amen to that Bryan. I've been lusting after the newgen since the pics first game out in 2007. Now that I've got one I'm never letting it go (barring a catastrophe)
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #46
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Im still holding out for KTM to produce the RC4 or Aprilia to produce their secret RSV 550. Till either of those happen I don't see the need to get a 600, I rode an R6 for a while and to be honest I had more fun on the 250 as far as street use goes. For my personal taste and style I just don't see the point in getting a motorcycle that legally can cruise in 3rd gear, that's just boring. Plus I love me a light weight corner killer, and yes I mean lighter than the CBR I'm talking RS125 territory. That being said the 250 really is all I would ever need for the street.

Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #47
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

She wanted a bigger bike. I bought the ninjette for her to learn on and she wanted a 600R that my friend was selling, so I passed the 250 onto another newbie and hopefuly he'll do the same if he decides to move up.

Her reasoning was keeping up with the bigger bikes. We ride tons of rural roads around since we're in Maine. The speed limitsare mostly 45+ and the 250 took a lot to pull out and pass with the bigger bikes. I loved it and miss it. I'll most likely buy one for me when I get out of college.

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #48
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I really want them to bring out the 400's again. Those are the perfect bikes for street use.

Or make a ninja 350.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #49
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Name: JR

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
I'm a practical person, and I don't have anything to prove. I don't want to go 160 mph. I'm quite content cruising at the posted speed limit (well usually), and keeping all the extra money in my pocket.

X2, I'm the same way as you are, I don't feel the need to have a bigger bike. This is plenty for me and I don't want to kill my self, I have a family to support.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #50
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

I'd be with you guys but I got the second 600R for almost half the price of the ninjette and I know it's an extremely mechanically sound bike. The insurance for her is $2 a month more and she's happier so I'll let her have at it.

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #51
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Last weekend a fellow pulled up next to me at a red light on a beautiful looking R6. He made a little gesture and I nodded. He opened his throttle maybee 1/4 and shifted not even once. He is halfway down the block before I even clear the intersection.

Next stoplight, same thing, except rather than nod, I shrug.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #52
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Sour grapes is annoying.

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #53
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
most are afflicted with the "bigger is better" syndrome.
Some guys are eager to move to a bigger engine to, you know, compensate.

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #54
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

I constantly think about getting a bigger bike when I'm not riding (they just look so awesome) but the minute I hop on my 250 and fire it up, all those thoughts go away. I've had experience riding a R6 but in the end I think the lower displacement bikes are more fun.

Every stop light is a drag race to the next light. You get to rev the crap out of your engine, shift gears and do all that within reasonable speeds. No way you can have that much fun on the streets with a 600. Overall you can afford to be more crass with the 250s and I love that.

While the 250 is CAPABLE of riding highways, it certainly leaves quite a bit to be desired at high speeds. It's not the most stable bike in the world for one, and over-taking cars can be dangerous. I try to avoid major interstates with the 250.

So overall, for 95% of the riding that I do, the 250r is PERFECT. I just learn to live with the other 5% because no bike is perfect.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #55
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_bullet View Post
She wanted a bigger bike. I bought the ninjette for her to learn on and she wanted a 600R that my friend was selling, so I passed the 250 onto another newbie and hopefuly he'll do the same if he decides to move up.

Her reasoning was keeping up with the bigger bikes. We ride tons of rural roads around since we're in Maine. The speed limitsare mostly 45+ and the 250 took a lot to pull out and pass with the bigger bikes. I loved it and miss it. I'll most likely buy one for me when I get out of college.
I regularly ride with a couple of 1200 BMWs, a Honda 600 sport bike, and a Suzuki 650. I have no trouble keeping up. I may shift a little more, but my left toes are up to the task. Looking forward to meeting you guys. Give me a call when you are in Belfast.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #56
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog View Post
Last weekend a fellow pulled up next to me at a red light on a beautiful looking R6. He made a little gesture and I nodded. He opened his throttle maybee 1/4 and shifted not even once. He is halfway down the block before I even clear the intersection.

lmao, eh, you cant win them all... next time pull up next to the honda accord

Old March 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #57
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I too am guilty of desiring other bikes, lust in the mind I guess, haha. Just today I went and hung at my dealer's warehouse where a buddy of mine since elementary school (1974, but whose counting) was assembling a zx6r monster energy (which means putting on the windscreen and seat cowl). Anyway I hang there and drool over all the bikes (more there than in the showroom). But the other day when I was riding some curvy backroads I thought to myself (would I be going any faster on a bigger bike in these corners). Then when I hit the main routes I thought how much faster would I be doing on this straight on a bigger bike, and how much would the ticket cost.
Anyway on the straight backroads I do sometimes wish for about another 100 or 150cc as I scream through the gears, look down, and see I am going 40.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #58
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

I definitely see a 600 in my future, zx6r or cbr, but i've got plenty of time and learning to be done before i see that day.. and money to save up..

Old March 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #59
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I tell people I ride a small bike because I have big BALLS.....

I rode a few 600s in my time and in the end the 250 is just so much fun.....when I get on a Kawa 600R I just think ---this bike owns me--I don't own it.....

I ride twisties all the time and that moped we ride fellas sure can fly.....the joke I always say is my bike is a moped with fairings on it but like I said--in the end the 250R suits me and makes me happy...perspective is everything.....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #60
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I rode into work today and parked in the spot designated for motorcycles that I always do, but today I took a moment to look at all the bikes parked there just to see how mine compared (Although, I admittedly can't ever stop near a bike without having to stare at it for a few moments, but today there was a beautiful blue and white GSXR 600 with powder coated wheels that I hadn't seen before, so it brought on a different level of curiosity. Not sure who owns it yet).

Anyways, after ogling the GSXR 600, the GSXR 750, the SV650, the Triumph 675, the ninja 650, Some manner of Harley, and a bright yellow Ducati monster for a few moments, I actually realized I preferred my little ninja's super sharp, tight and compact lines to the generally rounder, meatier bigger bikes. The current gens are really beautifully designed, I think (No offense to the old gens- I used to have one and loved it- but the 08+ makes me purr). I honestly don't know how anyone could ever ditch the ninja because it's not pretty enough. Besides, I've even had other bikers ask me "Is that a 600?" so I know I'm not the only one who thinks it looks fast and awesome

That said, when I first got my '09, I told myself I'd get that cbr I've been infatuated with for forever as soon as I put 15,000 miles on it. The more I ride it though, the less I want to ever get rid of it. I'm definitely getting a honda someday, but I think it'll be an "in addition to" rather than "in place of". I was told I'd get bored of the 250 in a few months but I think if any motorcycle is boring you, then you're clearly doing it wrong

On a side note, I never realized how many other bikers I work with until today. It's a shame I only personally know two of them. Gonna have to work on that......

Last futzed with by Zombiphone; March 5th, 2010 at 12:45 AM.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #61
Zim
ninjette.org member

Name: Zim

Motorcycle(s): '04 EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog View Post

A state of the art sportbike can easily beat an entry level 250cc street bike that hasn't changed since Thundercats was on TV?
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #62
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
I rode into work today and parked in the spot designated for motorcycles that I always do, but today I took a moment to look at all the bikes parked there just to see how mine compared (Although, I admittedly can't ever stop near a bike without having to stare at it for a few moments, but today there was a beautiful blue and white GSXR 600 with powder coated wheels that I hadn't seen before, so it brought on a different level of curiosity. Not sure who owns it yet).

Anyways, after ogling the GSXR 600, the GSXR 750, the SV650, the Triumph 675, the ninja 650, Some manner of Harley, and a bright yellow Ducati monster for a few moments, I actually realized I preferred my little ninja's super sharp, tight and compact lines to the generally rounder, meatier bigger bikes. The current gens are really beautifully designed, I think (No offense to the old gens- I used to have one and loved it- but the 08+ makes me purr). I honestly don't know how anyone could ever ditch the ninja because it's not pretty enough. Besides, I've even had other bikers ask me "Is that a 600?" so I know I'm not the only one who thinks it looks fast and awesome

That said, when I first got my '09, I told myself I'd get that cbr I've been infatuated with for forever as soon as I put 15,000 miles on it. The more I ride it though, the less I want to ever get rid of it. I'm definitely getting a honda someday, but I think it'll be an "in addition to" rather than "in place of". I was told I'd get bored of the 250 in a few months but I think if any motorcycle is boring you, then you're clearly doing it wrong

On a side note, I never realized how many other bikers I work with until today. It's a shame I only personally know two of them. Gonna have to work on that......
I have the same feeling and I am fast approaching 15,000 (crossed 12K today). Every time I catch myself drooling over a Triumph Daytona 675 or a Ducati 749-1098, I think about how I still want to keep my '08 250R... she's a beaut.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #63
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

I bought my ninja to learn the basics ect... still learning- will always be open minded on the bike ect... that being said I will be moving up I thought i wanted the CBR atleast a 600 but then i saw the Buell Firebolt 2006 XB9r something or other...( I think ) -Lol... And its as small as a ninja and doesn't have the riding profile of the bigger sport bikes more ninja 250ish... i also hear it carves in the turns... I'ts also loud!!!!

Safety is a concern to me and the riding postion of the buell would be great next step IMO and the crome looks killer- I will be handing off the ninjette to the wife but not after I look into getting a Firebolt.

Last futzed with by sixer; March 5th, 2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: oops was a 2009 blue and white model
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #64
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I too am guilty of desiring others , lust I guess, haha. Just today I went and hung at elementary school assembling energy. Anyway I hang there and drool over all the... But the other day I thought to myself how much would the ticket cost.
Anyway I do sometimes wish for ... as I scream , look down, and see I am 40.
Hang in there Greg. Don't do it!

I edited out the useless words in your post.

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #65
backinthesaddleagain

HAHA - well most of my words are useless anyway. Think you added a few also!

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #66
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Ive ridden all sorts of bikes...anything from literbikes, cruisers, scooters, etc..there just is no bike more fun to ride than the 250r. There just isnt. I cant explain it, the 250r is just the quintessential rider's ride.

Ive always been a fan of the smaller displacement bikes, and I think a big part of it is that its so much fun to totally thrash a small bike.

The easiest way to describe it is to compare them to a horse. The ninja 250r is like a trusty horse that obeys you and does what you tell it to, and when you are ready it doesnt mind getting into a gallop. Literbikes are like a unbroken stallion. If you can manage to get on the onery SOB, and stay on, then you are constantly tugging on the reins to keep him under control.

Say you are leaving your neighborhood and entering a highway with a 45mph limit. On a 250r, as soon as its clear you twist that sucker, release the clutch, and hammer that throttle up to 10g as you go shifting up through the gears as it screams in delight. The front wheel never leaves the ground, and the rear wheel doesnt go spinning out to one side. You take a 10min ride through the city, and you've been through every gear, and even bounced the needle near the redline.

On a literbike you are leaving your neighborhood, and entering a highway with a 45mph limit. As soon as its clear, you barely touch the throttle, release the clutch, and turn out onto the road, being careful not to accidentally twist too much and sling the rear end out. Finally, you open the throttle just a touch, and before you know it your doing 60mph and havent even left 1st gear...so you back it off. After a 10min ride through the city, you havent even gotten out of 3rd gear, and you've broken the speed limit 25 times.

Im sticking with my 250r...its more fun.

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #67
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
I am never selling my 06! NEVAR!
I am determined to travel 49 states within 5 years.
And after reading this thread, Korean guy named Wan travels all over U.S. in a 49cc Honda Ruckus I might try to do that with a Ruckus in 10 years. It is my life goal! Wan is my hero!
Dang you. I just read this and I am GLUED to it. Wan sounds like he is an awesome guy. It is a great read!

I love this quote...

Quote:
Quote:
4w3s0m3!!!!!!!!
?? English please. or Korean

Old March 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #68
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
I too am guilty of desiring other bikes, lust in the mind I guess, haha. Just today I went and hung at my dealer's warehouse where a buddy of mine since elementary school (1974, but whose counting) was assembling a zx6r monster energy (which means putting on the windscreen and seat cowl). Anyway I hang there and drool over all the bikes (more there than in the showroom). But the other day when I was riding some curvy backroads I thought to myself (would I be going any faster on a bigger bike in these corners). Then when I hit the main routes I thought how much faster would I be doing on this straight on a bigger bike, and how much would the ticket cost.
Anyway on the straight backroads I do sometimes wish for about another 100 or 150cc as I scream through the gears, look down, and see I am going 40.
Lust sucks like that.

To be honest, my move to a 750 was more about seat space than anything else. A Ninja 500 probably would've been the smarter choice, but the deal on my 92 gixxer was both more convenient and better than the other options I had at the time. That and the sportbike riding position is easier on my back given how heavy I'm getting.

Do I regret upgrading to a sportbike? A little bit actually...the costs of running the bike are double. Not including insurance, gas mileage is HALF that of the ninjette, tire costs are triple...not to mention the fact that the damn bike overheats in traffic. Oh well...at least my cousin can inherit the little 250 for free as her starter bike, and I'm a lot more comfortable on rides now...especially when I have a tail/tank bag.

The move from a 250 up to an SS of any kind involves a hell of a lot more than people sometimes realize. Especially if you're dealing with a new SS. Those things just aren't good at commutes, are boring as hell on straight roads (unless you're doing high speed fly-bys), can be tempermental in turns, and they're a lot harder to ride overall. Composure is the name of the game...and when you're itching for some stupidity, having to remain composed to stay alive kinda sucks. There's no forgiveness on these bikes. One of the things I had to do to adjust to the new bike was clean up my riding habits....in fact this is one of the things i still have to work on. It's a lot of the little things, like keeping my arms calm and relaxed while sneezing; squeezing the tank and taking the weight off my arms while going over bumps, through turns, etc; not allowing the bike to wobble when I do shoulder checks (which is harder in the leaned over position, mind you). The tolerances are much tigher than on the 250, and any small movement from you or your body translates into some kind of response from the bike. You have to be a lot more precise as a rider. When you're fatigued...this is brutal!

So basically upgrading to a supersport..old or new...isn't necessarily better. It's different. Some days it's better...some days its a hell of a lot worse....but I have to admit that when it's good, it's really good! Just some things to keep in mind based on my personal experience so far.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #69
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

When I get the money I am going to get a Repsol CBR1000rr, but I will be keeping my ninjette because it is an awesome bike. I will be still riding it, but it's going to be given to my fiance after we get married because she wants a bike.

Last futzed with by Davidb1986; March 6th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #70
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Quote:
The move from a 250 up to an SS of any kind involves a hell of a lot more than people sometimes realize. Especially if you're dealing with a new SS. Those things just aren't good at commutes, are boring as hell on straight roads (unless you're doing high speed fly-bys), can be tempermental in turns, and they're a lot harder to ride overall. Composure is the name of the game...and when you're itching for some stupidity, having to remain composed to stay alive kinda sucks. There's no forgiveness on these bikes. One of the things I had to do to adjust to the new bike was clean up my riding habits....in fact this is one of the things i still have to work on. It's a lot of the little things, like keeping my arms calm and relaxed while sneezing; squeezing the tank and taking the weight off my arms while going over bumps, through turns, etc; not allowing the bike to wobble when I do shoulder checks (which is harder in the leaned over position, mind you). The tolerances are much tigher than on the 250, and any small movement from you or your body translates into some kind of response from the bike. You have to be a lot more precise as a rider. When you're fatigued...this is brutal!
Perfectly well said.

Old March 5th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #71
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I always laugh when people say they need more power. No, you don't. You think you need more power. 250 is plenty for all kinds of commuting. Long haul, etc.

Me personally, I want to get another bike with a bit more weight and more comfort. So I am still looking at maybe a KLR or GS model. I also like the FZ1. I really do love the looks of the CBR600 and all those nice crotch rockets, but in reality, I would rarely use the power it had. As I think more and more about what type of riding I want to do (commuting and long distance), a SS bike goes lower and lower on my list. I still want one, but I feel that the type of riding I encounter on a daily basis requires a different bike. I'm not sure if I'll ever own a cruiser, but maybe a Honda NT700? Maybe a dual sport? Not sure yet. Plan on renting a KLR when it warms up and giving it a try.

Old March 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #72
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I saw a cr500 super moto yesterday at the bike show. I have to admit it looked like fun.

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #73
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I always laugh when people say they need more power. No, you don't. You think you need more power. 250 is plenty for all kinds of commuting. Long haul, etc.

Me personally, I want to get another bike with a bit more weight and more comfort. So I am still looking at maybe a KLR or GS model. I also like the FZ1. I really do love the looks of the CBR600 and all those nice crotch rockets, but in reality, I would rarely use the power it had. As I think more and more about what type of riding I want to do (commuting and long distance), a SS bike goes lower and lower on my list. I still want one, but I feel that the type of riding I encounter on a daily basis requires a different bike. I'm not sure if I'll ever own a cruiser, but maybe a Honda NT700? Maybe a dual sport? Not sure yet. Plan on renting a KLR when it warms up and giving it a try.
The KLR is an Awesome DS. Spent alot of time on the 650. HEAVY when your really offroading it, but comfy otherwise, as long as your over 5'6" tall!

Anyone ever think of Bigger Bike without it having to be a Race Replica? I mean, I wouldn't mind a little more usable power at TIMES without HAVING to rev to 12,000 rpm to get there, but I wouldn't want a CBR, GSX-R, or the like... The Ninja 650 or the newer ER-6N (Naked Ninja 650, awesome looking, I think) have also been basically deemed "Beginner Bikes" in this day of 170hp Liter bikes. And this is due to the fact that they have more power, BUT the power delivery is such from the bike that it is Controlable if the Rider does there part. I REALLY have been thinking about the ER-6N. I think it is dead Sexy for some reason. I have never been a naked Bike fan, till this one.

AND.....I WON'T ditch my Little Red 250 either. Especailly having a Wife that wants to learn and RIDE...

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #74
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Yeah, if it was street only, I'd consider the same Jeff.

a 650 is plenty of bike. And it retains that lovely parallel-twin sound.

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #75
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Oh and let me add this:

I have a friend that has a ZX-10. He loves the bike and thinks it is very comfortable. I asked him if he had ever taken it to WOT. He said no. He said it has too much power and will lift the front wheel at WOT. He said WOT scares him. I asked him, so why did you get the 10? He said because his last bike was a ZX-9R, and he wanted to upgrade. I don't view it as an upgrade if you never use the additional power.

He should honestly be on a 600...at least it wouldn't scare him as the 10 does.

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #76
backinthesaddleagain

Buddy of mine rides a honda 919. Just a basic standard bike, steel frame, only suspension adjustment is shock preload, and they stopped making it 2 years ago. Says its the most fun bike he has owned. And he owned a few. Good power off the bottom, comfortable, more speed than he needs. To me its todays CB750Four. Too bad US buyers didn't appreciate it, but bypassed it for flashier bikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #77
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I regularly ride with a couple of 1200 BMWs, a Honda 600 sport bike, and a Suzuki 650. I have no trouble keeping up. I may shift a little more, but my left toes are up to the task. Looking forward to meeting you guys. Give me a call when you are in Belfast.
I loved riding the little bike. It was quick, very agile and did everything I wanted it to, including a few parking lot wheelies when I got it. I'll have another someday. Those were her reasons and I won't ocmplain too much since a second 600R is actually saving me money. I do miss it though, it was a blast as soon as I put the stock exhaust on and sold the cf 2-bros...that thing was obnoxious

Old March 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #78
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
ever think of Bigger Bike without it having to be a Race Replica? I mean, I wouldn't mind a little more usable power at TIMES without HAVING to rev to 12,000 rpm to get there, but I wouldn't want a CBR, GSX-R, or the like... The Ninja 650 or the newer ER-6N (Naked Ninja 650, awesome looking, I think) have also been basically deemed "Beginner Bikes" in this day of 170hp Liter bikes. And this is due to the fact that they have more power, BUT the power delivery is such from the bike that it is Controlable if the Rider does there part. I REALLY have been thinking about the ER-6N. I think it is dead Sexy for some reason. I have never been a naked Bike fan, till this one.
I'm pretty much set on getting a Versys as my next bike. I say pretty much because I've also considered an SV650 or Gladius, or possibly the ER-6N. I just think the Versys will be better suited to the kind of riding I do.

I'm probably waiting until next spring, or this fall, but if they drop below $5K as dealers try to clear them out I will be very tempted. I actually like the '08-'09 Versys better than the '10, so that would be an added benefit for me.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #79
09black250
dreams of riding

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): none...bank loan...

I am a beginning rider and I definitely feel the need to open it up and "give her hell" sometime, but I definitely understand where the 250 is a lot smarter of a riding choice. I do believe, though, that there should be something between the 250 and the 600. I know the 500 is out there, but until they restyle it like they did the 250 i wont buy it.

I don't know how popular or easy this would be, but what about some sort of bore or stroke kit that would give the 250 that little boost. Maybe bump it to a 300 or 350 size. I don't know if they ever did this for the old 250s, but it seems like an option aftermarket companies could look into. How about upgraded cams? My main experience is automobiles and I love to build engines. I know what the regular upgrades on any engine are, and after intake and exhaust, cams and carbs are usually the next upgrade to increase the breath-ability of the engine. Maybe this stuff is out there and I don't know, just wondering.
09black250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #80
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
I'm pretty much set on getting a Versys as my next bike. I say pretty much because I've also considered an SV650 or Gladius, or possibly the ER-6N. I just think the Versys will be better suited to the kind of riding I do.

I'm probably waiting until next spring, or this fall, but if they drop below $5K as dealers try to clear them out I will be very tempted. I actually like the '08-'09 Versys better than the '10, so that would be an added benefit for me.
I REALLY like the look of the Versys too! Thought for sure that would be my next bike until I sat on it and WOW...... 33.1" seat height on the Versys vs. 29.7" on the ER-6N..... I have the shortest freeking Mr. Frodo, Hobbit A@#, inseam of anyone ever!! So, the 1" + makes a difference for me. Don't want to feel like I am riding a KLR when I am on a Sportier Steed...