ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #41
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I don't care for helmet laws, even though I never hop on the bike without mine, but if I happen to want to ride somewhere without my helmet one day I want the freedom to make that choice.

As Alex posted about earlier, I'd be interested in knowing if people riding without helmets require more healthcare. I don't think that a large majority of riders who crash without a helmet become vegetables, they either die, or they get road rash, with a very small majority becoming vegetables, and riders wearing helmets can become vegetables as well.

Also for all the people claiming that Obama is taking away all our freedoms. I won't argue that he is not, but we have been losing personal freedoms well before Obama was elected, and well before you, or I was ever born. The sky has been falling for years. In this day and age we really don't have a choice, we are either enslaved by the government or the corporations. We really can't have freedom and social order at the same time, because human beings are far far far from perfect.

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #42
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Let those who ride, decide.
Posted via Mobile Device
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #43
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Name: Joyce

Motorcycle(s): black 2010 ninja250

i cant imagine not wearing a helmet... but its the law here so i dont know any different.

really though, I'm for helmet laws. I pay taxes for the healthcare that puts people back together when they crash. if it werent for that i'd say do what you please
joyinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #44
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinc View Post
i cant imagine not wearing a helmet... but its the law here so i dont know any different.

really though, I'm for helmet laws. I pay taxes for the healthcare that puts people back together when they crash. if it werent for that i'd say do what you please
You also pay taxes for the healthcare that treats smokers. I bet more people die from that than own motorcycles.

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #45
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
You also pay taxes for the healthcare that treats smokers. I bet more people die from that than own motorcycles.
Of course our president is a smoker.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #46
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i dont think people should smoke either or alot of other things that have them wind up in the hospital... but thats a whole other thread!

Old March 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #47
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Quote:

The speed limit was not 70 before it was 55 (unless you lived in Nevada or Montana or some other rural area). I remember the great President Carter and all his follies.
Like I said, try reading up on it. Knowledge is more powerful than ignorance and fear.

"Speed limit laws, which date to 1901, traditionally have been the responsibility of the states. Before 1973, when Congress responded to oil shortages by directing the US Department of Transportation to withhold highway funds from states that did not adopt a maximum speed limit of 55 mph, speed limits on rural interstates in most states ranged between 65 and 75 mph, with the majority of states setting rural interstate speed limits of 70 mph. In urban areas, most states maintained 55 mph speed limits before the national maximum speed limit was established.

By March 1974, all states adopted the 55 mph national maximum speed limit. As concerns about fuel availability and costs faded, however, and speeds began to gradually climb on US highways, Congress in 1987 allowed states to increase speed limits on rural interstates to 65 mph.

The National Highway System Designation Act of 1995 repealed the maximum speed limit, allowing states to set their own limits for the first time since 1974. Many states quickly moved to raise speed limits on both rural and urban interstates and limited access roads. As of December 2009, 33 states had raised speed limits to 70 mph or higher on some portion of their roadway systems. In Texas and Utah, speed limits were raised to 80 mph on specified segments of rural interstates."
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #48
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

also, Carter had **** all to do with it, being elected in 76...
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #49
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
but thats a whole other thread!

... No, I couldn't resist.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #50
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post

... No, I couldn't resist.
i dont get it?

Old March 27th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #51
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
While I support freedom, all "No Helmet" laws do, really, is increase the price of insurance for everyone else.
I fail to see how more dead riders will increase insurance prices?
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #52
foxpaws
ninjette.org member

Name: elle

Motorcycle(s): 10 kawi ninja 250

Quote:
i dont get it?
it's a common saying in Alton Brown's "good eats" series on food network - "...but that's another show" anytime something important comes up that happens to be complex or interesting enough to justify an episode dedicated to it.
foxpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #53
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaws View Post
it's a common saying in Alton Brown's "good eats" series on food network - "...but that's another show" anytime something important comes up that happens to be complex or interesting enough to justify an episode dedicated to it.
oh! lol

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #54
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
All I'm saying is , individuals who wear protective gears or not has more to do with their personality than the laws. I wear all my gear all the time but I'm not going to preach to somebody who's already riding without gear.. I'm pretty sure they know already the risks. It's kind of going out and telling everybody you see smoking "hey you know smoking is bad?". My .02 $
I agree with you. Personally, I would not dream of riding without a helmet--or jacket, pants, boots and gloves. Here in Maine, we have the most stupid helmet law in the country. For the first year after a person gets his/her motorcycle endorsement, a helmet is mandatory--after that it is optional. Our lawmakers had in mind that the person would develop the habit of wearing a helmet. These lawmakers obviously never took Psychology 101. What has really happened is that Maine bikers see, not wearing a helmet, as a rite of passage. Nobody wants to look like a newb. On the insurance front the 250 Ninja costs just as much to insure as a ZX6R. Here they see all sport bikes as a risk. One`s driving record is also not taken in consideration with a sport bike. It is somewhat reminiscent of the mid 60s when the insurance companies overcharged anyone with a "Muscle Car". When I was 40, I paid $1500 a year for coverage on my Corvette. That was with a totally virgin license. I still have a virgin license--50 years driving with no tickets or accidents. I don`t drive a Corvette anymore.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #55
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I agree with you. Personally, I would not dream of riding without a helmet--or jacket, pants, boots and gloves. Here in Maine, we have the most stupid helmet law in the country. For the first year after a person gets his/her motorcycle endorsement, a helmet is mandatory--after that it is optional. Our lawmakers had in mind that the person would develop the habit of wearing a helmet. These lawmakers obviously never took Psychology 101. What has really happened is that Maine bikers see, not wearing a helmet, as a rite of passage. Nobody wants to look like a newb. On the insurance front the 250 Ninja costs just as much to insure as a ZX6R. Here they see all sport bikes as a risk. One`s driving record is also not taken in consideration with a sport bike. It is somewhat reminiscent of the mid 60s when the insurance companies overcharged anyone with a "Muscle Car". When I was 40, I paid $1500 a year for coverage on my Corvette. That was with a totally virgin license. I still have a virgin license--50 years driving with no tickets or accidents. I don`t drive a Corvette anymore.

Alex same thing here in RI - helmet mandatory for first year. Always required for passenger - go figure.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #56
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Alex same thing here in RI - helmet mandatory for first year. Always required for passenger - go figure.
Greg, when the legislative moroons repealed the helmet law they didn't put the correct language in for the passenger to be included(from what I've been told). Ask Gordon, he would have all the fun facts to know and tell.

Old March 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #57
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I dont understand why there is all this talk about the federal government taking away freedoms in this thread. Conservatives as a group believe in states rights and it is the states, not the federal government, making and repealing such laws.Im withholding my opinion on this topic because this thread has turned to bickering and people need to realize that most people are too stubborn to listen and consider others opinions as they are set in their ways which goes for both sides.