ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 27th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Gyrene
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Gas - On or Off?

Being new to motorcycles I am trying to learn as much as I can. My question is related to the gas shut-off valve. When parking the bike for the night, should I turn the gas off? I know that when you store it for the winter you should but how long is too long to park it with the gas still on?

I plan to ride it everyday but there may be a two or three day period that the bike sits. How do you handle things?
Gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #2
HotWheels
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX 250

Leave it on it's fine

The gas flow is activated by vacuum suction from the carbs. Leaving it turned to on or reserve will do absolutely nothing nor draw any gas out what so ever. c The proof in the pudding to this is next time that you have your tank off for maintenance or what ever, you can have it turned to on and pick it up and take it where you please. Nothing will flow out of it. Take care.

Last futzed with by HotWheels; April 27th, 2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
HotWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Gyrene
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Awesome, thanks for the information.
Gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Just to add, though a normally functioning petcock won't flow fuel when the engine is off, it is possible for the rubber bits inside to deteriorate enough to allow fuel to leak past the vacuum valve anyway. That, when combined with a faulty float needle in one or both carb bowls (common with bikes not maintained or ridden much) can result in fuel leaking through into the engine cases.

My rule of thumb is to leave it on when I'm riding regularly and move it to OFF if I'm not going to ride for a few weeks.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #5
HotWheels
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX 250

Hey hey

Frugal hey hey hey I recognize you from ninja250.org what's up potna
HotWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
My rule of thumb is to leave it on when I'm riding regularly and move it to OFF if I'm not going to ride for a few weeks.
Yup, that's the same thing I usually did on our pregen. No easy way to do that on the newgen machines.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote