ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #1
ckoolmike
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Just got the Yoshimura Exhaust and I don't know what to do?

Hi guys...

need your help. I just purchased the Yoshimura slip on exhaust and I want to install it but i keep reading (and not fully understanding) about shimming the needles and installing a jet kit? Sorry for my ignorance but i read a lot of the threads and yet to understand what i really need to do.

If i need a factory pro kit then so be it. Does that mean i need to shim the needles too? So confused. Sorry pls help!!

Would love to install this tonight. So if someone can help me and tell me what to do ...that'll be great.

I live in Ontario, Canada!
ckoolmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #2
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

Shimming is a crued way of "jetting" the carbs. You can just shim the needles, but it won't give you the ability to fine tune the carbs for best performance. Although shimming is VERY cheap and extremely easy.

If you are finiky about working on the carbs, then installing a jet kit at the dealership is also an option, but will cost you the price of the kit, dealership labor, and tuning.

I have yet to get my exhaust and not really sure if I will anytime soon ( I like the sound of the bike now after shimming and removing the snorkel) however I know I can add another shim to each carb when I do install an exhaust and it will be fine.

I am not too sure about the atmosphere in Canada and the altitude there, you might be better off jetting the carbs, but I will let another Canadian answer that one.
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Sorry for the long post... hope this helps.

Short answer: Changing the needle height (which is what shimming does) is part of what you do when you install a jet kit, so the two activities are redundant. The difference is that if you shim the stock needles, all you need to do is buy a few 12-cent washers, but if you rejet you need to buy a $90 jet kit.

Shorter answer: You don't need to do anything before you install the Yosh can. You won't hurt your bike, but you won't get maximum benefit either. Put it on and then think about jetting or shimming.

But read on.

Step back a minute and look at the big picture. I suspect you're getting too close to the problem and can't see the trees for the forest. I think you need to understand why you're doing these things... that will guide you as you decide what to do.

The goal is to increase the bike's power while maintaining or even improving driveability, right? So how do you do that in a broad sense?

Because an internal combustion engine in a certain sense is just a big gasoline-powered air pump, to make more power you need to pump more air. Which means you need to reduce restrictions on the air going in (intake) and the air going out (exhaust).

(Think of it this way... purse your lips and inhale strongly through them. You have to work hard to do it. Now open your mouth wide and inhale. Much easier... less restriction, so you're not expending energy to overcome it.)

Okay, so you can open up the intake and open up the exhaust, but that's not the whole story. An internal combustion engine needs to have the right balance of air to fuel to function properly, and when you go messing with the intake and exhaust you're changing that delicate balance because you're adding more air to the equation without adding more fuel to compensate. Therefore you need to adjust the fuel system (carburetors) to restore the balance of air to fuel.

That is the purpose of rejetting, which is about more than just jets. It's also about the needles. What you're doing is changing how much fuel the carb feeds to the engine when you open the throttle.

Your goal with rejetting is to find the right combination of jets, needle position and mixture screw settings to make your bike produce its best power and driveability given the changes you've made to your intake and exhaust.

Now, take it down one more level. If you've read all the threads you know that different parts of the carb affect the fuel flow at different throttle openings. The main jets control wide-open-throttle fuel flow. The needle position (and shape) affects the midrange. The pilot jets and screws affect the low end.

So when you install a jet kit, you're doing the whole thing... changing the main jet, changing the needle height (and the needles themselves), and maybe changing the pilot jet too.

When you shim the stock needles, you're doing part of what you do when you install a jet kit. You're playing with the midrange, which is where the bike spends most of its time anyway.

To get the maximum result, you modify your intake (e.g., pull the snorkel and install a K&N air filter, or yank the whole airbox and put pod filters on it), put on a full exhaust including header, and rejet so the bike works properly.

To get better driveability and midrange power, you do part of the job... you shim the needles.

Caveat: I haven't rejetted my bike yet, though I have installed a full exhaust. I welcome corrections by those who know more about this than I do.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #4
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

Great post Andrew

That has to be one of the best descriptions of how and ICE works!
tabogon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #5
ckoolmike
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Short answer: Changing the needle height (which is what shimming does) is part of what you do when you install a jet kit, so the two activities are redundant. The difference is that if you shim the stock needles, all you need to do is buy a few 12-cent washers, but if you rejet you need to buy a $90 jet kit.

Shorter answer: You don't need to do anything before you install the Yosh can. You won't hurt your bike, but you won't get maximum benefit either. Put it on and then think about jetting or shimming.

But read on.

Step back a minute and look at the big picture. I suspect you're getting too close to the problem and can't see the trees for the forest. I think you need to understand why you're doing these things... that will guide you as you decide what to do.

The goal is to increase the bike's power while maintaining or even improving driveability, right? So how do you do that in a broad sense?

Because an internal combustion engine in a certain sense is just a big gasoline-powered air pump, to make more power you need to pump more air. Which means you need to reduce restrictions on the air going in (intake) and the air going out (exhaust).

(Think of it this way... purse your lips and inhale strongly through them. You have to work hard to do it. Now open your mouth wide and inhale. Much easier... less restriction, so you're not expending energy to overcome it.)

Okay, so you can open up the intake and open up the exhaust, but that's not the whole story. An internal combustion engine needs to have the right balance of air to fuel to function properly, and when you go messing with the intake and exhaust you're changing that delicate balance because you're adding more air to the equation without adding more fuel to compensate. Therefore you need to adjust the fuel system (carburetors) to restore the balance of air to fuel.

That is the purpose of rejetting, which is about more than just jets. It's also about the needles. What you're doing is changing how much fuel the carb feeds to the engine when you open the throttle.

Your goal with rejetting is to find the right combination of jets, needle position and mixture screw settings to make your bike produce its best power and driveability given the changes you've made to your intake and exhaust.

Now, take it down one more level. If you've read all the threads you know that different parts of the carb affect the fuel flow at different throttle openings. The main jets control wide-open-throttle fuel flow. The needle position (and shape) affects the midrange. The pilot jets and screws affect the low end.

So when you install a jet kit, you're doing the whole thing... changing the main jet, changing the needle height (and the needles themselves), and maybe changing the pilot jet too.

When you shim the stock needles, you're doing part of what you do when you install a jet kit. You're playing with the midrange, which is where the bike spends most of its time anyway.

To get the maximum result, you modify your intake (e.g., pull the snorkel and install a K&N air filter, or yank the whole airbox and put pod filters on it), put on a full exhaust including header, and rejet so the bike works properly.

To get better driveability and midrange power, you do part of the job... you shim the needles.

Caveat: I haven't rejetted my bike yet, though I have installed a full exhaust. I welcome corrections by those who know more about this than I do.
I thank you sooo much for helping me understand this process. You're awesome man.

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #6
ckoolmike
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabogon View Post
Shimming is a crued way of "jetting" the carbs. You can just shim the needles, but it won't give you the ability to fine tune the carbs for best performance. Although shimming is VERY cheap and extremely easy.

If you are finiky about working on the carbs, then installing a jet kit at the dealership is also an option, but will cost you the price of the kit, dealership labor, and tuning.

I have yet to get my exhaust and not really sure if I will anytime soon ( I like the sound of the bike now after shimming and removing the snorkel) however I know I can add another shim to each carb when I do install an exhaust and it will be fine.

I am not too sure about the atmosphere in Canada and the altitude there, you might be better off jetting the carbs, but I will let another Canadian answer that one.
Thanks for your help too tabogon

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Something that's peripherally related.

If you screw things up and run the bike way too lean, you CAN damage or even destroy your engine. Overly lean engines run really hot.

So don't open up the intake (introduce more air, which makes the mixture too lean) without rejetting too.

Putting on a less restrictive exhaust doesn't change the input side of things. So your aftermarket exhaust won't endanger your bike IMHO.

Actually, since it's a slip-on, it probably doesn't remove that much restriction anyway. You've still got the stock header.

Again, if I'm off target here, someone who knows more please jump in and correct me.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #8
shift_6
ninjette.org member

Name: SHIFT

Motorcycle(s): 08 Candy Plasma Blue

most of our bikes run lean from the factory. i would shim the needles for benefit if you dont wanna buy a jet kit. when i first got my bike, it felt like it wanted to bog down in certain rpm's, so i shimmed the needles when i first put on my slip on and it felt a lot better.

off topic: i love this damn bike. its so nimble!

pm: Hokie11 he has extra washers. all you have to do is send him a self addressed stamp envelope asking for 4-6 washers and hell send you some for free!
shift_6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Stock needles suck! Drop some aftermarket needles in, and you will be good to go for your sett up
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

But read on.

Excellent explanation Andrew. My (admittedly somewhat limited) experience rejetting agrees well with your statement. Might consider putting that on the wiki to help folks out.

One addition though: the carbs are set up asymmetrically from the factory and you'll want to resynchronize them with most if not all jetting alterations to ensure each cylinder is taking it's share of the workload.

Old May 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #11
kkim

Great post, Andrew. Now add it to the wiki.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #12
Haider87
Learning by doing

Name: Haider

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I have a stage 3 factory pro jet kit and a yoshi pipe. Here's what it sounds like if you need some inspiration, it was definitely worth the extra cheddar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hx9bBXinVg
Haider87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #13
ckoolmike
ninjette.org newbie

3mm washers?

Anybody from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know where i can pick some up?

Checked out source and home depot with no luck.

thanks in advance.

Old May 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #14
ckoolmike
ninjette.org newbie

So i installed the Yosh slip on yesterday. No jet kit, shimming and have not removed snorkle. The bike runs smooth. I still require the choke on while starting the bike and after a minute, it revs from 1500 rpm to 4000 rpm so that's when i remove the choke.

1st gear is not sluggish and i feel the extra hp. Obviously the kicker is the sound of the yosh slip on. It's EXACTLY what i wanted with a deep throttle sound. It makes the stop exhaust sound like a lawnmower.

I am not sure if i need to tweak anything with the bike. Will i cause any damage if i don't shim the needles and remove the snorkle?

Thanks all for your help.