ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #1
iceman.kcmo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ex250

Hotter spark? Anybody used nology hotwires?

here is a link to them

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com...pplwi1935.html

Also, Has anybody put a "grounding kit" on their bike. I have some spare 14gauge wire and some terminals i figured i would toss on there to see if it made a difference in power past 12k.

Right now i feels great up to 13.5 which is where i shift.

anywho just some thoughts
iceman.kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman.kcmo View Post
here is a link to them

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com...pplwi1935.html

Also, Has anybody put a "grounding kit" on their bike. I have some spare 14gauge wire and some terminals i figured i would toss on there to see if it made a difference in power past 12k.

Right now i feels great up to 13.5 which is where i shift.

anywho just some thoughts
As far as the plug wires go, figure if it was such a simple solution, and really worked, there would be dozens of copies from all over, and all sorts of race teams would actually be using them and there would be hype all over the web about it being a 'must do' mod. Seen any of that recently?

If Detroit or Asia could make vehicles with "Better fuel economy, electrical flow, smoother and improved acceleration, brighter headlights, and smoother idle" with a few simple 14 gauges wires for a few cents overall in the big picture, don't you think they already would have? I mean, why pour millions of dollars into fuel economy research when a few feet of wire will do the same thing?

Or will it?

As long as you have at least one good ground wire and everything else is connected, ALL else is a gimmick sold to poser Too Fast Too Furious wanna be's. As for the claim that they have dyno charts that show more horsepower after the install.....well, I ain't buying it! There ain't no miracle with this stuff.

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #3
iceman.kcmo
ninjette.org member

Let me put it this way then, I dont have a brand new bike. Mine is 16 Years old. Im pretty sure nothing on this bike performs like new.

On my 15 year old nissan I had a noticable improvment in the way the car idled, ran, and throttle response. On the nissan, it had about 3ohms from the engine block to the negitive battery terminal. The grounds on that were 15 years old.

I know having better grounds will probally help out, i just was wondering what everybody else has experenced. I haven't had the chance to ohm out the engine to the battery terminal.

As for the hot wires. Who HAS used them, and what was your experence? Before this riding season started i swapped my spark plugs to iridium plugs, and WOW, what a difference it made!

Old June 27th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Quote:
Before this riding season started i swapped my spark plugs to iridium plugs, and WOW, what a difference it made!
If not too much offtopic:
Sounds interesting. What difference did it make?
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #5
iceman.kcmo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinss View Post
If not too much offtopic:
Sounds interesting. What difference did it make?
Noticeable improvment in midrange and top end. Easily worth the $25 including shipping. It is a must do....

Old June 27th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #6
kkim

yeah, but how old were your old plugs when you replaced them? usually, just putting in new components to worn/old electrical components will see an improvement.

with regards to the wires, they are hype. was on a car forum years ago that everyone said was the hot setup, but in the end, testing didn't prove them to improve anything but a lighter wallet over just using a set of decent wires. They do look pretty, though.. don't they?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Let me put it this way then, I dont have a brand new bike. Mine is 16 Years old. Im pretty sure nothing on this bike performs like new.

On my 15 year old nissan I had a noticable improvment in the way the car idled, ran, and throttle response. On the nissan, it had about 3ohms from the engine block to the negitive battery terminal. The grounds on that were 15 years old.

I know having better grounds will probally help out, i just was wondering what everybody else has experenced. I haven't had the chance to ohm out the engine to the battery terminal.

As for the hot wires. Who HAS used them, and what was your experence? Before this riding season started i swapped my spark plugs to iridium plugs, and WOW, what a difference it made!
New factory grounds would have done exactally the same thing for you. Yes, I've used the ground kits, and found them to make no difference whatsoever over quality factory ground wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
..... usually, just putting in new components to worn/old electrical components will see an improvement.

with regards to the wires, they are hype. was on a car forum years ago that everyone said was the hot setup, but in the end, testing didn't prove them to improve anything but a lighter wallet over just using a set of decent wires. They do look pretty, though.. don't they?
Yup.

...and another thing that doesn't make sense...they want you to connect the grounds on the plug wires to the valve cover bolts. Bolts that make contact with the engine through their threads, as the valve cover is insulated from the engine by the valve cover gasket! If the ground was that important to the wires working, WHY would you ever use a compromised grounding point? Why not run the grounds straight back to the battery and prevent ANY issues?

As KKIM stated, they've been around a while, and been proven bunk for only a slightly shorter time. I remember looking into them several years back, and no one at that time had been able to independantly replicate the claims of increased HP or anything else. As for the plug wires, bunk. Grounds...the newer the vehicle, the less the difference, and factory replacements would be the same.