ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

Unhappy Help! Need a solution while on a road trip

So I'm in the middle of a two week series of road trips and have encountered a somewhat serious problem. I rode from East Lansing, MI to Peoria, IL today and along the way my bike periodically would crap out while I was cruising on the interstate. It seemed like an electrical problem so I'm guessing it's an overheating CDI. It would happen after I had gone 60-100 miles since my last stop. The trick is that I need to do the reverse trip on Sunday. I had to stop three times on the shoulder of the interstate and I'm worried about getting creamed should I lose power at a bad time. I tried riding slower, down to 65-70 and I'm not sure if it helped. Any suggestions? I would really like to have a workable solution by Sunday, otherwise I'm going to have to stop every 60-80 miles to let the thing cool down, and that's going to make an already 6 hour ride ridiculously long. Help!
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

If it's anything like my problems, try opening the gas tank right away next time it happens and see if it will start right up again.

Mine only seems to do it when warm, but usually after a partial cool-down then hard run.

It only happened once when I crossed the country, but that was December. It has happened in the rain so I hesitate to say that it's CDI heat related.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
If it's anything like my problems, try opening the gas tank right away next time it happens and see if it will start right up again.
+1

Also you may want to check the tank vent line. Mine was partially blocked by some paint flakes.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

It's not your CDI overheating. It's usually because you got bad gas somewhere. On your return trip, go to a different gas station.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #5
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

One of the reasons I think it's the CDI is that when it happens, the starter doesn't work unless I wait at least a few minutes.

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The stater still turns, right? Turns but gets no fire? That's what mine does. I always have to wait a few minutes during which I get bored and check my fluids. The one time I didn't check my fuel was in the rain (didn't want it getting water in the tank) and that was the one time it took more than a few minutes. I had to push it to a gas station and it started after I put gas in it even though it wasn't bad gas and it wasn't empty.

Old August 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #7
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

No it doesn't turn. After I sit for a while then it will go.

Old August 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Make sure all your battery and ground connections are tight - sounds like an intermittent total electrical disconnect. Do you have lights or horn when the starter won't turn over?
Shouldn't the starter still turn over even if the CDI is bad?, that would just give you no spark, not no starter.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yep, if the starter doesn't turn at all, but then does a few minutes later, the loose battery connection sounds like a prime target.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #10
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Okay, I had some revelations on my ride back to MI yesterday. I think I've ruled out electrical. What I thought was an unresponsive starter previously was me being unable to hear the starter due to my earplugs and the highway noise.

I narrowed it down to fuel delivery based on the comments posted about cracking the fuel tank and an experiment I conducted. On my way back I ran at 80mph for about 80 miles before the bike died on me. I stopped on the side of the highway just long enough to lift my tank bag, vent the tank, button everything back up and get underway. I then maintained 80mph for another 70 miles when I arrived at my destination. I figured that if i had some kind of overheating power electronics it would crap out pretty quickly after the stop if I continued to run at high speed.

So what i figure is that the tank isn't able to vent properly and a vacuum is being created in the tank as the fuel drains. I have a hypothesis that it's either the tank cap itself not venting enough or the rubberized contact patch on my tank bag creating an effectively airtight seal at the gas tank cap. Thoughts? How many folks have had a similar fuel delivery issue? Has anyone who has modded their tank cap to reduce whistling had this problem?

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I still have one more long ride on Friday and I would like to have this sorted out by then or at least be on the way to a solution.

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, so far, it sounds like you're getting it worse than anyone! It only happens to me a few times between major services... like 5-6 times total in the last 8K miles. I always have/use a tank bag but I kinda doubt it seals against it. My tanks still whistles (vents) and hasn't had the mod done.

At first, Sean suspected that his was the CDI in this thread as well. We had a good discussion about it going there.

I think it might have happened once when I crossed the country, in Alabama (started in GA). I thought it was bad gas or that I was out (still showed 1/8th a tank) and someone gave me a little when they saw me pushing. I've gotten my gauge down to "E" many times since, so I now doubt the "out of gas" hypothesis (that's where "bad gas?" assumption came from). After this started happening to me thousands of miles later, I re-evaluated. The only difference is that it wasn't my usual "run hard, slight cool down, run hard" combination that usualy triggers it. I had been on the road at top speed for 7/8ths of that tank of gas. Perhaps I built up a vacuum just the same by draining the tank faster than it could vent in those conditions.