ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:46 PM   #1
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Bike computer, sneak peak

Here's the project I'm working on. It's built off an Arduino Uno and uses GPS for speed, direction, mileage and 0-60 time. I just need to find the right enclosure, do the right up then it should be done.

In order from top to bottom, left to right:
Time, date, compass heading, outside temp, speed, gear indicator, resettable trip meter, 0-60 time and water temp.

Thoughts? Anything else that you would include? The only thing that I would like to have is a bigger LCD so i could list directions or something versus taping it to the tank.
iggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
caliente103
ninjette.org member

Name: HECTOR

Motorcycle(s): Red 08 250r

cool I wish I new how to make one
Posted via Mobile Device
caliente103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Looks sweet! Wish I knew how to make one!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:14 AM   #4
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Lap timer function!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Sweet gadget. How do you get gear indic to work?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:14 AM   #6
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
Lap timer function!
It actually wouldn't be hard, just extend the 0-60 timer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Looks sweet! Wish I knew how to make one!
It is actually really quite easy, the hard part of this build was the programming. in total i think there are less than 20 wires including power and ground...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Sweet gadget. How do you get gear indic to work?
Basically it uses the magnets and 2 hall sensors to detect if the shift lever is going up or down. It also ties in to the neutral light so it will always reset it self if it gets confused. I got the idea from:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...006/index.html
But used a different circuit and code. If you do this be careful, I found out the hard way that there are 2 types of hall sensors, latched and unlatached ones. Latched ones will stay high when pull up by a magnet. Confused me for a good 3 days.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very cool gauge
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #8
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Wow cool concept but certainly beyond me. If they sell the whole kit and I install them then I can handle that but if they give me a bunch of chips and sensors and wires...forget about it
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #9
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Sick!

Awesome start man! I was working on something very similar for my bike last winter.. maybe i'll take it back out and continue to tinker but...

I am experienced with software development and have next to no experience building something tangible.

My show stopper was creating a case that protected the electronics from light exposure to the elements plus wear and tear of using it every day.

Link to original page on YouTube.

How are you converting your 5v power from the 12v battery?

How have you setup the gear counter? Do you tap into the neutral light?

Post some details! Looking forward to seeing more

2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:41 PM   #10
dnovosel
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250R

Sweetness.

I actually just put a deposit down on a 250R, and I've been looking around the forum a bit.

I threw down a post about building a bike computer concept using ardunios / micros, and someone linked me to this.

Anyway, hows the process going? Do you have schematics or anything? I'm about to modify something similar I rigged up for a car, but obviously I'm learning about what new things I can do on a bike, so I started asking what other people have thought of.

I'd be really interested to know what you've come up with, parts, schematics, power supply issues, temp tolerances, etc. Success or pitfalls. Did you build a PCB for the circuit, or is it just prototype right now?

Anyway, sorry for the 20 questions, I'm just excited that someone else thinks about awesome electronic projects like this!
dnovosel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #11
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Very cool!!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #12
iggysmalls
ninjette.org member

Talking Update!

As some of you know, I ended up getting rid of the 250 and got a 08 CBR600. (I miss my 250 ever so much). The CBR has a decently accurate and consistent speedo, has a clock and water temp sensor. Those were the main thing's I was looking for, so this project has fallen by the way side. I might pick this project up later to add other things to the CBR. But I will try to answer questions.

I got the inspiration from: http://www.janspace.com/b2evolution/...6/scooterputer I used most of the hardware listed, except for the Screen, I didn’t want to spend that much money, didn’t need color or touch screen. I ended up using http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9351 I do wish I got a faster display. I also left out the Cellular and Lean angle components.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...006/index.html (Make sure you don’t get a latching Hall Sensor, made this mistake. Ended up using http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=158)

For being out in the open I used http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=2780035 as the case for the screen. Cut out a rectangle and used some poly carbonate and silicone caulk to seal it up. The wire connections were standard RJ-45 connectors, but I figured I would never leave it outside, so I wasn’t all that worried about water getting in. That being said, I had it on the bike maybe 4 times before selling the bike, so I can’t say with 100% certainty that this solution would hold up.

For power, I used a voltage regulator to step it down from 12V to 7Vs since the Arduino and the LCD can take in that voltage. http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/612...-ba17807t.html I added a few capacitors and diodes to smooth out the power delivery. The Ardiuno takes care of the output of the 3.3V and 5V to the GPS and other sensors.

For water temp, I swapped out the temp sensor that controls the water temp light for a GM part (I believe it was for a Saturn, also fits the Cobalt, don't quote me on this). The resistance changes at different temps. This was my jumping off point: http://disipio.wordpress.com/2009/07...-a-thermistor/ You can also use this principle to add an oil temp sensor, I was actually looking into doing this too. I calibrated this with 2 separate meat thermometers at different temps. This is how I verified the air temp sensor too.

I am not an electrical engineer, so everything was Dead Bug style. It looked very sloppy, but the Arduino fit into an Altoids tin and the power supply fit in another Altoids tin.

As far as pitfalls go, the screen is the biggest one. I cheaped out, so it’s a SLOW screen to update the data. Sometimes if I try to update too quick ie too many things are happening at once, you can get artifacts on the screen. Since the screen does not have any built in fonts, I pretty much had to write all the letters and numbers by hand.

I think that’s all for now, if you have questions just let me know and I’ll try to answer them. I can get some pictures if you want, but I’ve cannibalized some parts already.