ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Colezombie
ninjette.org member

Name: Cole

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

MMI- what do you guys think??

I have been thinking of going to MMI in phoenix az, but after reading reviews online from people who have went, I am not too sure of the school anymore.
does anyone here have anything to say on the schools behalf. good or bad.?

thanks guys
Colezombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Never heard anything about them. Maybe the peeps that had something bad to say, just didnt have the mechanical know how to get the job done?

New shop over here opened awhile back, think someone mentioned the dude had went there.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #3
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

I went to UTI. same thing but for cars. it was alright, learn a lot. But when the say they will help you get a job after school, dont believe it. the job placement guy just google search job in my location. i could of done that. Apply for job, most of the places never heard about the school.

I dont think its was worth.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
My dad was a garage manager before he retired, and he says that while mechanics school is a good way to get the knowledge and give structure to your study, mechanical ability is a difficult thing to teach and experience is the only way to confirm it. Schooling is a positive, but he also wants experience and a track record. He'll take new folks, but only for entry level jobs expecting them to put in some years first and prove themselves.

MMI will expose you to what you need to know, but if you go expecting that - regardless of your ability or experience - the money you spend will guarantee you a job you will be disappointed. You are still going to have to put in time working your way up, and the main factor in your success will still be your own drive and your ability. And your patience.

I think the mixed reviews of MMI, which looks to be a fairly professional operation, come from people who are disappointed that experience is so important for employers, especially when they've spend so much money on MMI. But if you have the drive and ability, it seems to me a nice way to crack open a door and get the knowledge you need for the long term as part of a longer term plan.

Just my .02.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #5
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
but if you go expecting that - regardless of your ability or experience - the money you spend will guarantee you a job you will be disappointed. You are still going to have to put in time working your way up, and the main factor in your success will still be your own drive and your ability. And your patience.
And that's the final truth for any higher education, especially these days when only 1/15 of college grads have a job lined up when they graduate.

Old January 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I agree with Floyd 100%. A lot has to do with your own motivation and abilities. The only thing that I would do is to check the school's accreditation. Is it approved by the Veteran's Administration in their education package? Nice thing about the Internet is that you can do some pretty accurate research.

Old January 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

The thing about MMI is that it probably isn't as highly credited as other places you can get education which will lower the ability of a degree from there getting you a job. I think that it is probably a fine place to learn to be a mechanic. Do they offer ASE certification? That is probably something that will give you the best chance of getting a mechanics job after graduation. I know even with three years of experience working on cars (I've done just about everything besides adjusting timing and engine rebuilds) and an engineering degree in progress I still wasn't hired for a mechanics job and I feel they were looking for ASE certification(even though not every mechanic working in any place has ASE certification there are maybe 2-3 of them).

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #8
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The only advice I can offer is that a degree/certificate does not equal experience. In this economy with such a surplus of workers it will be hard to compete against experienced mechanics if all you have under your belt is that piece of paper. I would also strongly recommend not taking on any debt for this. The economy is going to be fairly rocky for the next decade or two IMHO, not a good time to carry debt.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Go buy something. Tear it apart. Put it back together. If you enjoyed it then go to school.

Old January 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Go buy something. Tear it apart. Put it back together. If you enjoyed it then go to school.

You might add "If it runs after you put it together again."
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #11
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

MMI has been in town a long time. And I've known some real 'wingnuts' who were studying there. The same could be said, for some of the guys I've known at AAI and UTI. Maybe it's just the odd-balls who leave a lasting impression...

I did happen to be on the MMI campus a few years back, and I remember how the place reminded me of high school. And it wasn't very large of a school, but I think they may have expanded since.

My suggestion... look up several of the dealers and bike shops, in the Phoenix area. Call their service managers or owners, and ask what they think of MMI graduates. If you are unsure of who to call, send me a pm. I'll help you to come up with a list of respectable shops.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote