ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1
supermanzdead
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Current: 2011 ZX6r Owned: 2010 EX250R "Special Edition"

In your opinion...

...what is the best Modular Helmet on the market? I want to buy a new one and I like the modular helmets but I am not as familiar with all the brands and quality. I like the Shark Evoline series, along with the Nolan brands from just reading about them and viewing videos but I'd like the perspective from someone who actually wears these everyday.

Thanks!
supermanzdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

shoei makes a nice one but i ditched mine because it was so much heavier.

In wine red, which will prob. match you bike
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet....titec&h=13&t=1

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #3
supermanzdead
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Current: 2011 ZX6r Owned: 2010 EX250R "Special Edition"

Yeah, I heard weight was an issue with those modular helmets. I have one today that I am not a huge fan of because I think it is too large after using it for a few months and doesn't offer as quiet a ride as I would like. I'd like to keep it around for a spare and purchase one more to my liking (which is a mystery at this point).

I hear about buffeting however I am not totally familiar with the meaning of that when it comes to helmets. I am also looking to buying one of those zero gravity either touring or double bubble windscreens, not sure if that will cut down on the noise or not...
supermanzdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have a Nolan N102 in School Bus Yellow. I like the helmet a lot. Also have an HJC Modular, which is also good. All helmets have to meet DOT standards--so you have a lot of choices. I like the way the Nolan's chin guard clicks in place. The mechanism is quite hefty. The chin strap is also great for its ratchet adjustment. I alternate between the two which gives the helmet plenty of time to air out.

Old February 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #5
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I had a fulmer modus m1 for a while I borrowed off a friend. Its in the picture I have to my left.

I liked it and thats why I got my shoei modular at first but then got a reg shoei and kept the modular for a spare. At any rate it didn't have any whistle to it.

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Here's the helmet I wear everyday to commute to/from work and just about everything else. It's the HJC CL-Max.

I love the fit and feel of it, and the defogging vent works pretty good at speed. I'm probably also gonna look into getting the pinlock visor system with an anti-fog lens insert for it soon. I also have a full face AFX helmet as well, but I either just need to take the fogcity glue on lens off and hope I can clean the visor off, or just get a new visor for it.

If you have a round head like I do the HJC CL-Max will fit nicely. As for weight, my AFX is bigger and heavier for the same fit. So I don't know about this idea of modular helmets being heavier. Guess it just comes down to the helmet itself maybe.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanzdead View Post
...what is the best Modular Helmet on the market? I want to buy a new one and I like the modular helmets but I am not as familiar with all the brands and quality. I like the Shark Evoline series, along with the Nolan brands from just reading about them and viewing videos but I'd like the perspective from someone who actually wears these everyday.

Thanks!
The key is to find a helmet that fits your head shape. Take a look at the Helmet Shape Guide and choose a helmet based upon the best fit for you regardless of what other people tell you about how the helmet fits them. You may have a different shaped head than someone else and that Shoei or HJC that works for them could give you major headaches while riding.

For me, I looked at a Nolan N102 that hurt my forehead (an extremely round helmet), a Schuberth C2 flip up that hurt my ears (an extremely narrow helmet) and I settled on the HJC IS-max. It was inexpensive, well made and (most importantly) fit me well with a fairly nuetrual (tending toward round) head shape. I'm very happy with my HJC IS. If I were to do it again, I'd consider the Schuberth C3, which has a more neutral shape than traditional Shuberths, is less than 4 pounds (very good for a flip up), is uber quiet (also unique for flip ups) and carries with it a great reputation for quality and safety. But more importantly, I tried on a friends and it was very comfortable for my head shape.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
nexus
ninjee two-fiddie

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Here's the helmet I wear everyday to commute to/from work and just about everything else. It's the HJC CL-Max.

I love the fit and feel of it, and the defogging vent works pretty good at speed. I'm probably also gonna look into getting the pinlock visor system with an anti-fog lens insert for it soon. I also have a full face AFX helmet as well, but I either just need to take the fogcity glue on lens off and hope I can clean the visor off, or just get a new visor for it.

If you have a round head like I do the HJC CL-Max will fit nicely. As for weight, my AFX is bigger and heavier for the same fit. So I don't know about this idea of modular helmets being heavier. Guess it just comes down to the helmet itself maybe.

Motorcyclegear.com aka "Newenough" has these on sale for $65 right now.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote