ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

May be time to sell the 250...

To buy something with more oomph. Don't get me wrong, I love the little Ninja, it's just that I feel the money to get the necessary components I need to get a bit more power and a more compliant suspension would be better spent on a motorcycle that simply had that already. Combined with the fact that I almost hit the weight limit by myself, making it unsafe to give my daughter any meaningful ride with her dad, and I feel I really have no option but to upgrade. It's too bad, because I love the handling of the bike and I have enjoyed our time together. If only it was a 400cc SS, but alas it isn't.

I have been looking at a number of bikes. After lusting over Ducati Superbikes, reality set in. Aside from the insane total cost of the Ducs, I need something that can give me 40+ mpg consistently with the ability to do some possible (but not very often) touring, and I need it to be civilized enough for a short work commute, as well as for it to behave in congested traffic every so often. It will need to be capable of hauling me and my daughter for short rides from time to time also. Most important of all, it must be able to hit the back roads with the same fervor that my Ninja does. So, it would seem that I am pretty much looking for your basic UJM, but I seem to be leaning British.

These are the bikes I am most interested in and researching:

-Street Triple R
-FZ8
-Ninja 650R
-Monster 796
-Honda 919

Of these, I am most interested in the Triple R. I think the FZ8 is the most all-around of the group, but insurance costs seem to be higher on it than the Triumph and none of the bikes have the adjustable suspension the Triple has. So, for what I want, I think the Triple can do most of it well. The touring would be a bit rough compared to the Japanese bikes, but it would manage well enough for as much as I would actually do any serious touring. The Triple is intoxicating. I love the way it looks and feels (in the showroom -trying to schedule a test ride), I really like its looks with the additional bits that can be put on it, and I LOVE that exhaust note. I also enjoy the idea of having something that not everyone else does.

The 919 is on the list because I saw one at a dealer today with 7200 miles for $5300. It is an '07. I may be interested in it but only if I can confirm the bike has no issues and get the price to around $4500 or so. This bike may have more power than I want or need though, and I suspect the fuel economy will be the lowest of the group.

The Monster is on the list because I am a Ducati fan for life. For the price, though, the Triumph seems to be the better value - considerably more for a bit less. I don't know about maintenance costs, but the Duc (aside from valve adjustments) may be the least expensive of the two with the engine being air-cooled. If the difference were substantial I may go with the Duc.

The FZ8 and Ninja 650 both cost more to insure than the Triumph based on my research thus far, so that hurts a bit. I like the Kawi having a fairing, and I like the UJM appeal of both of these machines. I think I could do about anything and be very happy with either of these bikes. The real issue I run into is value. The FZ costs not much less than the Triple for less in the way of suspension and brakes, of course I could probably find an aftermarket solution for a reasonable cost, but I don't want the hassle. The Ninja has less power, a lesser suspension and I think I like its looks the least of all (I love the look of faired bikes, but not the 650. I think our 250 looks much much better) but I should see 40+ mpg when commuting and it has the lowest buy-in cost with reasonable maintenance costs.

I really do love the Ninja 250 but its lack of grunt to pull my weight up hills or out of bad traffic situations is starting to take its toll. I knew when I bought the bike it would be replaced at some point. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Any bike suggestions are welcome. Please keep in mind I am looking for FI, something with good low and mid-range power, fuel economy in the low to mid 40s, and some flexibility in use. If I do buy new, then I need to keep the price lower than 10K as well.

Thanks for reading the wall of text and thanks for any responses.

Last futzed with by Xoulrath; February 27th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

What about a Suzuki SV650s? The new 2011 ones look sweet. They revised the dash and made it more unifying. I dont know much about performance since the 250 is my first and only bike so far, but I hear great things about the SV650s' all the time and if I were to look for a bike with more power, it would definitely be on my list.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Why not check out the 09+ Yamaha FZ6R? NOT the R6, but the 6R. It seems like the ideal upgrade bike between the 250R and SS bikes. the 6R has an inline 600 motor, but with a less potent output of about 75 hp. Seating position is more upright then an SS. You can find brand new 09 or 10's for ~$6K.

Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I had the same dillema with upgrading. My weight wasnt a factor but I felt I needed more power. I was looking at the Ducati 696 but the insurance costs turned me off of it as well as maint. costs. I was hung up on the aprilia shiver vs duc vs ninja 650 vs fz6 vs a used super sport. I even flirted with the idea of a Harley sportster or nightster.

In the end I eventually purchased a used '06 Honda CBR 600rr. I would advise checking out all the bikes that interest you and sit on them. Go with the one most comfortable. I usually go to youtube and watch the various reviews on what im thinking about buying.

Oh... there is no crime in keeping your 250 when you get your new bike. Thats what I did, mostly for my commutes to work. Besides, trade in value on my 2010 ninja 250r was only $2000.00 and for that it just made more sense to just keep it.

Good luck on what you eventually decide to get.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #5
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

One thing you may want to think about regarding the Speed Triple is that it is difficult, to use saddle bags. The under seat exhausts are right where your bags go. However, seems that folks tour on them just fine with tank and tail bags.

And yes, the siren call of the triple is something you will not soon forget. I test road a Street Triple last year and she still haunts my mind

Here is a picture of one set up to tour.

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #6
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Seen leftover FZ6R on ebay for less than $5000 NEW from a dealer. I have also seen a few leftover FZ6 for less than $5000 in autotrader
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I recommend starting with a little longer list of bikes you like, sort them by price then call your insurance company to see if that makes you want to drop any right off the bat, then consider the maintenance and mpg's. That criteria should help make a short list that you can then go and sit on some to see what fits you best. Once down to a select few or just a couple then research what mods you would like to be able to do to get each setup just the way you want and that the products exist. You mentioned touring for example so maybe you would want a throttlemeister and hard saddlebags... figure how much that will be for each, some are cheaper to setup than others. Just my .02, hope that helps a little.

Oh yeh and def check out the SV650, great all around bikes.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #8
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

SV650s was my choice, a bit more tucked down position than the twofiddy. If you want a more upright ride, look into the the naked version or for the newer model with that same engine would be the Gladius, the look of which is not for everyone! Tough, low-maintainance engine and the torque you've always wanted from the ninjette but available at almost any RPM. I found insurance to be way cheaper than the 600 I4's.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I like the 250 for running around town and doing a 100mi run--even longer. I routinely did 500mi days on mine.

Since I got injured (Not motorcycle related) the 250 was too much for my back to endure--so I got an NT-700V. It is a fantastic bike that I could ride to CA without breathing hard. It is also probably more age appropriate for me since I am at least twice as old as most people on this forum.

Well, whatever society thinks that I should be riding and what I think that I should be riding is really not quite the same. I like Sport Bikes and Sports Cars.

When my injury heals next year, I plan to get a green 250R, hopefully with FI.
I have been riding for 50 years on and off and riding a Ninja 250R--especially a green one ,is the greatest rush one could have with their pants on. I am sure this also applies to the ladies on this forum--so I am not being chauvinistic.

Old February 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #10
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I am sure this also applies to the ladies on this forum--so I am not being chauvinistic.
Agreed Alex... the N-250 is a blast all round. I have the V-900 Classic for long distances and I always go running back to my 250 for intown and short outlying trips. I'd love to trade up on the Sport bike, but heck I have a bigger cruiser and still go running back to take out the N-250 more often that not.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #11
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

There's a Speed Triple R now? I think you mean to say the Speed's fugly cousin, the STREET Triple R.

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #12
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Surprised the versys did not make your list?
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Agreed Alex... the N-250 is a blast all round. I have the V-900 Classic for long distances and I always go running back to my 250 for intown and short outlying trips. I'd love to trade up on the Sport bike, but heck I have a bigger cruiser and still go running back to take out the N-250 more often that not.
Addy, Do you remember when we had a blast driving Austin-Healey Sprites and MG Midgets? Those sports cars were a blast! Now everybody needs mega horsepower and such. The beauty of the Ninja is that you can wring every ounce of performance out of it by sheer skill. Watching your rev meter and keeping the bike in her power band takes skill. Anybody can simply twist the throttle on a bigger bike--How boring.

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #14
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I also like the FZ6r so I agree you should check it out. I may actually consider getting one in the future myself. Although next thing I get will be a sports car maybe a rex since I live in CO.
Alex you should definitely wait for FI I'm pretty sure it will be coming soon thanks to honda coming into the 250 market.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Addy, Do you remember when we had a blast driving Austin-Healey Sprites and MG Midgets? Those sports cars were a blast! Now everybody needs mega horsepower and such. The beauty of the Ninja is that you can wring every ounce of performance out of it by sheer skill. Watching your rev meter and keeping the bike in her power band takes skill. Anybody can simply twist the throttle on a bigger bike--How boring.
Makes me think of Lotus and Porsche too.

Old February 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
I recommend starting with a little longer list of bikes you like, sort them by price then call your insurance company to see if that makes you want to drop any right off the bat, then consider the maintenance and mpg's. That criteria should help make a short list that you can then go and sit on some to see what fits you best. Once down to a select few or just a couple then research what mods you would like to be able to do to get each setup just the way you want and that the products exist. You mentioned touring for example so maybe you would want a throttlemeister and hard saddlebags... figure how much that will be for each, some are cheaper to setup than others. Just my .02, hope that helps a little.

Oh yeh and def check out the SV650, great all around bikes.
And if the bike you like costs too much in insurance try some different insurance companies. For some an FZ1 was less to insure than my CBR600 (and less to buy).
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
What about a Suzuki SV650s? The new 2011 ones look sweet.
The SV was always one of my first choices for years, but its lack of an update has turned me off of it. I love faired sport and sporty bikes, but I always liked the SV with its half-fairing so I don't care for the SV-F model, and I don't really want to get a used bike that is more than a couple years old and if I go too far back, I don't get the FI I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf
Why not check out the 09+ Yamaha FZ6R? NOT the R6, but the 6R. It seems like the ideal upgrade bike between the 250R and SS bikes. the 6R has an inline 600 motor, but with a less potent output of about 75 hp. Seating position is more upright then an SS. You can find brand new 09 or 10's for ~$6K.
I have looked into this bike as well. I think it looks great. The reviews I have read are favorable and I am inclined to agree that this is a good interim step between the littlest Ninja and a 600 SS. The biggest issue for me was the unavailability of clip-ons for the bike based on how the handlebar was integrated. Any sport (or sporty) bike I have will be prepped for my inevitable meeting with Road Atlanta sometime in the next year or two. Without clip-ons, this bike comes off the list. If I were to be able to find this bike for less than 6K it may be worth looking into as a good compromise between sport and touring, though the insurance because it is an I4 is still more than what several other bikes were quoted at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88
I even flirted with the idea of a Harley sportster or nightster.
I did too actually. I was trying to convince myself that with a bit of work, it could tour and do mild backroad duty, then I woke up. I like Harleys but I don't think they are worth the asking price, and the only one capable of what I am looking for is the XR1200 and aside from not being worth the asking price, it is out of my comfort zone on price for a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88
Oh... there is no crime in keeping your 250 when you get your new bike. Thats what I did, mostly for my commutes to work.
Well, if I purchase a new bike within the next six months, which is currently the plan, then I will need to sell the 250 to bankroll it. My wife may decide to keep the Ninja instead of her TU250, because it is more versatile, but I doubt it. That TU really fits her well; she loves that 60s era look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM
One thing you may want to think about regarding the Speed Triple is that it is difficult, to use saddle bags. However, seems that folks tour on them just fine with tank and tail bags.

And yes, the siren call of the triple is something you will not soon forget. I test road a Street Triple last year and she still haunts my mind
I mistyped as I actually meant the Street Triple. Tank and tail bags will be more than enough for my needs. I wouldn't be going cross country. The sound is a siren's call, isn't it? I have yet to hear one in person, but all of the video reviews I have seen, I have watched over and over again because of that sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane
Great advice, and in fact exactly what I did to get the list I presented here! The biggest problem I have found with motorcycles is that any "list" you have is constantly changing as your riding needs change or what you want out of riding changes. I don't think that any rider will ever have a list that is set in stone when looking for a new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailariel
Well, whatever society thinks that I should be riding and what I think that I should be riding is really not quite the same. I like Sport Bikes and Sports Cars.

When my injury heals next year, I plan to get a green 250R, hopefully with FI.
I have been riding for 50 years on and off and riding a Ninja 250R--especially a green one ,is the greatest rush one could have with their pants on.
I am in agreement with you there. I am in my mid-30s and my desire for sport (or sporty) bikes and cars is getting more insatiable if anything. Ride (and drive) what you love. I agree the 250 is a rush, I am just too large for it to be an everything bike for me. Great fun in the twisties though. Sorry to hear about the injury; I hope you heal quickly and get back to your 250 soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
There's a Speed Triple R now? I think you mean to say the Speed's fugly cousin, the STREET Triple R.
I did, I mistyped and I have already edited the original post. Thanks. I do love the look of the Speed Triple, especially the new one. I wouldn't call the Street fugly, but it did have to grow on me looks-wise. I was initially drawn in more by what the bike could do than by how it looked. In fact, I only learned of the Street after falling love with the Speed and that single-sided swingarm (I am a sucker for those).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros
I just don't care for the look of the bike, and touring is something I want to do, but again it is really the bottom of my list. My priorities are sport riding, commuting, navigating the urban jungle on weekends going places with friends and family, taking daughter for a ride or two a month, touring a few hundred miles two, maybe three times a year. So, with those priorities in mind, I feel the Ninja 650R is better suited for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel
I agree with you here, but I would like to point out that I am not looking for a larger bike because I can't keep my Ninja in the power band. I have the most fun on my bike in the twisties with the bike in second, third, or fourth gear at 9k rpm or higher. The problem comes from the many hills I run into. Going down, no problem, going up, the bike struggles to get me up the hill even in second gear. I have run into issues where I have problems getting up hills from starts as well because the bike simply lacks the torque it needs to get my weight moving while also trying to fight gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain
And if the bike you like costs too much in insurance try some different insurance companies. For some an FZ1 was less to insure than my CBR600 (and less to buy).
This is good advice for anything. Always shop around for the best deal. And it isn't so much that the insurance costs too much; it's more that after a certain point, I feel I am being asked to pay too much.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #18
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

My twofiddy is my first bike, so I'll never ever sell it. But I have heard amazing things about the SV's. A buddy of mine had an SV1000S, and loved it, but sold it for his dream bike. He did many trips to Minneapolis and Michigan, and the only thing he required to be a little bit more comfortable is a Corbin seat. One of my Fed Ex ground guys that delivers to my work rides an FZ6. He also loves that bike. I've had a couple of buds with R6's that ended up getting scared away from sport bikes and ended up buying V-Twin cruisers. So I'd say that if you like your twofiddy, stick with sport touring, for sure.

Last futzed with by peachdiddy; February 27th, 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: oopsie in grammar
peachdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #19
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
650R, it's wrapped for touring.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #20
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

I just bought an 07 650R, I posted my experience with it here. Insurance for me was actually cheaper than the 250 with progressive (right now both are on my plan now though, so that could change). I only got the minimum coverage though...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM   #21
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

You are in the same boat I am in, I need something with a bit more power and would like to go on trips as well. The only difference is I will 100% be keeping my 250 so for me my priorities are commuting, sport then touring and I have 3 bikes on my list versys, fz6r, 650r, the versys is at top due to having better suspension and beefed up 650r motor with more comfort. Fz6r next with 650r as third option. It's all personal preference as for me I have 0 use for an SS bike. As long as you are happy with your choice an purchase it's all good.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #22
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

How heavy are you? How tall are you? Have you sat on any of the bikes you listed?

I say go with the 919 and keep the ninja 250 for the commute.

Failing that go with the Street Triple. It's about as balanced a package as you can get out of the bikes you've listed.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote