ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Soon to be Ninja 250r

T-rex race stands and spools?

So I looked around on the forum and couldn't find too much info on this. But I did find that the 250s use the 10mm spool size

So I'm thinking about getting these:
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=7

And also a front/back set
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=15

But I have some questions:

Do I need spools for the front as well? If so, do I just get 2 sets of the 10mm spools?

How are the t-rex stands/spools. I've read many great things about them and seem to be pretty good for their price. But does anyone recommend anything else that is competition to the t-rex stands? I don't want to spend massive amounts of money for stands. If they work (and will keep working), then that is fine by me.

Lastly, where can I get these other than the t-rex site? Hoping for lower/discounted prices.

Thanks!
ericeng91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #2
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I purchased a set of stands (front and rear) directly from T-Rex.

I got their low end set for $110, CLICK HERE. They came with rear spools and the front has these rubber pads to lift the bike so nothing else needed.

Here is a pic:

The front stand is on the top in that pic, the stand holds the bottom and back of the forks when you lift and holds very well. Not pictured is the rear spool carrier that attaches to the rear stand on the left and right but you already know that it goes right under the rear spools so no biggie.

I have used the front a couple times only to test the operation and the rear several to lube/adjust the chain. They work great!

Last futzed with by slolane; April 7th, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spellin'
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
csviegas
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I have these stands also, but with the "U" shaped handlebar. I had my bike sitting on the front and back for a few months during the winter and it worked great. I purchased it from their ebay store along with the triple tree but havent used that part of it yet. Mine also came with the free spools for the rear which is all you need for the bike.
csviegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

so for the straight barred ones (like in the picture) vs. the ones with a U shaped handle, which one is easier to use? My girlfriend will also be using these and I want to get the one that is the easiest to use.

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I haven't used the U shaped ones but my wife and I can both use these to lift either end of the bike very easily.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #6
csviegas
ninjette.org member

I have only had experience with the "U" shaped ones since this is my first bike. My reasoning for picking the "U" shaped one was that I would be able to use both hands to hold the ends of the stand and have more control over it. I noticed the other day that I could control very well how fast or slow I want to raise or lower the bike. I don't know if I would have the same amount of control with the other model.

Old April 9th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #7
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

thanks for the replies.
Another question when buying the front/rear packs. Rather than buying spools, do I buy the universal ones for unspooled?

so
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=15

vs.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=171

the 2nd link seems to match the picture slolane put up, but I just want to double check.

thanks!

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #8
csviegas
ninjette.org member

The fist link works with bikes that allow spools to be attached (like our 250r). The second link will work with our bikes too but it would also work with bikes that do not accomodate spools. It's only a $5 difference.

If you look at both the pictures you will see something in the middle of the rear stand in one of them. All you are doing is placing that where the spool holders go if you had a bike that does not allow spools.

I dont see anything about free spools on these pages but I know on their ebay page they give them for free with the stands. You just have to specify your bike and what color you want at checkout.

Old April 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #9
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

oh ok. thanks. gotta go check out their ebay page then.

Old April 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I have the U-bar ones and they're great.

Tips (true of any stand, not just these):

- It's a LOT easier to lift the bike if you first put the kickstand on a 2x4 to get it more vertical. If you don't do this, the right-hand spool will be far from the stand's hook and as the bike goes upright, the stand will want to skew out of position. If you prop the bike up, the right-hand spool will be close to the hook and no worries.

- Make sure the thumbscrews that adjust the width of the stand are good and tight.

- If you don't have a dead-level surface to work on, make SURE the bike is oriented with the kickstand on the downhill side before lifting. If you don't, you may wind up needing my DIY on repairing cracked fairings.

Which was written because I failed to position the bike with the kickstand on the downhill side, of course.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote