Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Motorcyle Service on an Island

Rear tire, which has had a plug in it waiting for replacement tire to arrive in mail from the US, gave out today. At 50mph. Made for some good practice in bike control (and bowel control). All handled, kept her upright. And, my new tires arrived last week, so no harm no foul, right? But . . . I don't have my front stand on island, only rear, nor do I have a bead breaker or a tire iron, etc. Price of moving all the time, I guess. No worries, I'll just take it to the shop, have them change the tire for me, right? Well, the ONLY motorcycle shop on the island says they don't do tires, refers me to a tire shop. Umm, okay odd, but fine. Tire shop says they'll put the new tire on, but won't take the wheel off the motorcycle. So fine, call the shop again, can I pay you to use your stands to take the tires off, so I can take the tires to the tire shop. Nope, they say, we don't do tires. Huh?

So I ask the shop owner, how does the local motorcycling community, small as it is, change their tires? Do they all have two stands and do it themselves? As a matter of fact, says the guy who has the ONLY motorcycle shop on the island, they do, and I sell the stands. A Powerstands Econolift fork stand stand for only $200. The one you can get from Kneedraggers for $45. Effing thief. So that is your game. I said thanks anyway, it was my rear tire that went, I've got a rear stand. I'll change the damn thing myself and order (my second) front stand from the States and get twice the stand for 1/2 the price, and do the front when it comes in a couple of weeks. And you, Mr. shop owner, will get nothing.

Here's my new stand:

Can anyone confirm that the DMP S-Spec triple stand includes the right size lifting pins for the ninjette? It looks to me like our ninjette takes an 18mm, which is included, but confirmation from someone with a DMP would be most welcome. If I need a lifting pin, I'd rather order now. Also, no need to move any brake lines or anything, right? I'm not seeing anything that would be a problem . . .

Thanks.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #2
fled
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Domremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Apparently Quality Tyre can change bike tyres. May be worth a call if u have a time machine :P
fled is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fled View Post
Apparently Quality Tyre can change bike tyres. May be worth a call if u have a time machine :P
Fled, forgot you were in Barbados. You know of any local bike mechanics? Not for this, which is getting sorted now, but just in general would be nice to know of someone. (Demarios isn't the answer.)

Quality said this afternoon they'd pull the tire off the rim and put on the new one, but they won't pull the rim off the bike. So it is still up to me to pull the wheels. Pulled the back wheel this afternoon with my rear stand, to Quality for the change. Getting that sorted at least. Thought about ways to get front done without a stand, I'll come up with something so I don't need to wait for the front stand or run with mismatched tires.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old May 25th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Curious to know: Do you know if the tire gave out due to the plug failing? Glad you're OK!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #5
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Curious to know: Do you know if the tire gave out due to the plug failing? Glad you're OK!
Yes. While plugs are generally pretty safe and durable, mine failed and hole was where plug was. Not sure if it was bad materials or incorrect installation or what. Freak failure.

Old May 25th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Yes. While plugs are generally pretty safe and durable, mine failed and hole was where plug was. Not sure if it was bad materials or incorrect installation or what. Freak failure.
Well, all the guys who say that they've never heard of a plug failing now have.

I was having a chain and sprocket installed yesterday and heard the proprietor on the phone with a prospective customer telling him that "no shop in San Diego would repair a tire." and that his life "isn't worth risking over $200." Due to the weather, San Diego has a motorcycle shop on every street corner!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #7
SV-Mark
Never enough time

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 690sm, ex250, kdx200, nc50, z50

overcome, adapt.... you dont need tire irons, get all McGuyver with it, use the round end of a 8 inch crescent wrench (or two), Stands.... balance it between kick stand, front tire and a cheap little floor jack, or a scissor jack from the neighbors car.... Or rope it up to the garage rafters, or a convienient tree. You can't put your faith in others,

Are the going to be able to balance it for you? Best of luck... what would you do if the tire guy got raptured??

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #8
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

10,975 miles on my front plug so far, no leaks, tire will hopefully finish wearing out soon. Maybe.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #9
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I confess that the guy who plugged my tire was a grubby roadside vendor working out of a shack. I wouldn't be surprised if the plug was from the 70s, or borrowed from another tire. Pretty poor judgement to use him, but I didn't have many options as I sat there with a flat and no plug kit on hand shipped from the states. (I've got one on order now so I can do it myself next time.)

I had every intention of keeping the plugged tire for only a few miles. One failed shipment of tires later, and it turned into a few hundred. I wouldn't judge plugs in general by this experience, but with the fear of God put into me yesterday I'm a bit paranoid at present.

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I have that front stand . Mine came with a couple pins and works great.

I am not saying plugs don't work or last . BUT when you plug a tire on a car the rubber of the tire will melt with the glue .That vulcanises the rubber and seals .Motoecycle tires have silicon or something in them and the glue dose not melt them .I have pluged my own tires ans after getting a new tire I was able to pull the plug out. That tells me that at night in the rain when I am far from home running from the devil the thing will pick that moment to fail.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Floyd, you just found yourself a nice little sideline importing stands to the island and undercutting the bike shop. You make a profit, the bikers get a good deal, and only the robbing shop owner loses out .....
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #12
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Floyd, you just found yourself a nice little sideline importing stands to the island and undercutting the bike shop. You make a profit, the bikers get a good deal, and only the robbing shop owner loses out .....
I like the way you think. Heck, I want to open a real motorcycle repair shop - it'd be the only one. If only I had the skills. Hey, kkim, you wanna move to Barbados?

Old May 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #13
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Floyd, stands make it easier, but they aren't necessary. You can support from a hoist or use jack stands. You can use C-clamps or a 2x4 to break the bead if you haven't got anything better. Just don't forget to save the weights so you can rebalance the tires later. The front tire is a piece of cake, but the rear tire needs to be aligned when you install it. Don't forget to loosen the rear brake caliper bracket first or you'll never get it straight.

I 'm with you. Those dealers want way to much for basic stuff like changing a tire.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
just one more note on the rear tire replacement. Use a putty knife or you hands but push the rear brake caliper piston in. With a big gap between the pads it is MUCH less work getting it apart and together.

I would love to move to Barbados and start a motorcycle shop.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote