ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #1
eds2fitty
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Should I get my bike checked out?

Im hearing some kind of squeal at low speeds coming from the front wheel. I now have 200 miles on the bike and it started about 50 miles ago, im still getting to know the ins and outs of the bike so i dont know where this squeal is coming from.

Also, after 30 mins or so of riding my bike starts to idle at 3k when i hit stoplights and when i put it in 1st it pops and i feel like my transmission is gonna break!

Any tips or advice?
eds2fitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

The pop into first gear is completely normal, mines done it since day one and so have many others.

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds2fitty View Post
Im hearing some kind of squeal at low speeds coming from the front wheel. I now have 200 miles on the bike and it started about 50 miles ago, im still getting to know the ins and outs of the bike so i dont know where this squeal is coming from.

Also, after 30 mins or so of riding my bike starts to idle at 3k when i hit stoplights and when i put it in 1st it pops and i feel like my transmission is gonna break!

Any tips or advice?
squeek? clicky

The 3k idle needs to be addressed.

These do clunk when shifting to 1st gear and not moving. Higher rpm's would make for a louder clunk.

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
squeek? clicky

These do clunk when shifting to 1st gear and not moving. Higher rpm's would make for a louder clunk.
are you leaving the choke on?
you should turn the choke on only to start the engine and to get it warmed up for a minute or so... once you're able to ride the bike without it stalling, choke goes off. once the bike is warmed up and the choke is off if it's still idling to high, there's a small nob on the left near where your knee would be if you were sitting on it that adjusts the idle. should be around 1250

also like rocknroll posted, front wheel squeek is the speedo drive

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5
eds2fitty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
The pop into first gear is completely normal, mines done it since day one and so have many others.
whew, takes 1 worry off my mind! thanks...

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #6
eds2fitty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
squeek? clicky

Thanks ima try the wd-40 later and see if it solves it...

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #7
eds2fitty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
are you leaving the choke on?
you should turn the choke on only to start the engine and to get it warmed up for a minute or so... once you're able to ride the bike without it stalling, choke goes off. once the bike is warmed up and the choke is off if it's still idling to high, there's a small nob on the left near where your knee would be if you were sitting on it that adjusts the idle. should be around 1250

also like rocknroll posted, front wheel squeek is the speedo drive
yea choke is off... i will try it out later, is it normal though for it to start idling high after 30mins or so of riding? its fine during the initial warmup and doesn't start idling high til 30 mins after... anyways i'll try and play with that know you're talkin about once it starts idling high...

thanks again guys for all your help...

Old July 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

What kind of help did you get on here and what are you planning to do? If this is a 2011 new bike with only 200 miles on it, bring it back to the dealer and have him go over it before you mess it up and maybe void your warranty. This seems to be beyond your mechanical knowledge or ability right now.
Almost all bikes clunk going into first gear at a standstill, and frequently you have to roll the bike a little forward or backward to get it to mesh into gear. You should already be in first gear when you stop, holding in the clutch at the stop ready to take off in an instant. This is a safety issue to try and prevent you from getting rear ended by someone in a car not paying attention.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds2fitty View Post
yea choke is off... i will try it out later, is it normal though for it to start idling high after 30mins or so of riding? its fine during the initial warmup and doesn't start idling high til 30 mins after... anyways i'll try and play with that know you're talkin about once it starts idling high...

thanks again guys for all your help...
No after riding it should be idling super still and easy, if it gives a bit of noise differentiation....you can hear a very slight change in noise, but idles stay still it's normal.
But it should not idle high after being warmed up.

Old July 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #10
nah.uhh
ninjette.org member

Name: nah

Motorcycle(s): n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
But it should not idle high after being warmed up.
Only half right. The previous poster theory was 'idle is set too high cold, so warm idle is way to high. Ie if when starting the bike cold, idle is at 1500, its possible to raise to 3000 once the bike is warmed up'

For example, with my idle set properly - on a warm day on a cold start, my idle is just below 1k, mayb even 800rpm (this is without choke). Once fully warmed up bike sits calmly at 1300-1400 (again with choke off)

Poster was just telling dude/chick to make sure the idle is properly set to begin with before assuming the bike is broken. Wouldn't you agree that is good advice? The next step is to make sure the choke and throttle have enough play.

+ every bike/conditions is different, so the idle will not be still/steady at the same rpm for everybody. 1250-1500 is the usual range, your bike will tell you which rpm it likes to idle at by how steady it it idles.

All of this is in the owners manual -with pictures, I'd recommend looking it over before going to the dealer.
nah.uhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #11
eds2fitty
ninjette.org member

both pieces of advice worked for me! first i played with the idle knob and my bike now idles at 1500 even after 30 mins of riding! then i sprayed some wd40 on the front axle nuts and joila no more squeeking! yesss...

thanks again guys for the help!