ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #1
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Modified/Custom Pipes

Hi all. Bought my first bike a little over a week ago, used from a kid on craigslist. It's a 2001 and I haven't been able to ride it yet, as I'm still getting it roadworthy (in the DMV sense, plates and reg). It runs and I've been tooling with it in my garage. My question is the exhaust pipes are definitely not stock. Actually the exhausts are about 7 inches long coming of the headers. I haven't really looked into them, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference in exhausts would do for the power and/or the running of the bike from the stock exhausts. As this is my first bike that I'll be learning on, and have no reference to a stock ninjette to compare to. Also too, what effect would it have on noise level. I'm kind of concerned there too, but it doesn't sound any louder than some aftermarkets I've heard on the road, and nowhere near as loud as some hogs. I have pictures that I can post, but I'm writing this on my phone, and don't see an option to attach a photo. Thanks for any advice/input.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

post up some pics or it. It is IS a full exhaust you might need to rejet it. It could be running lean.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Pic of the pipes. Figured out how to post a pic. Yay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00198-20110725-1141.jpg (102.2 KB, 63 views)

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

wow thats kinda cool, is it duals or 2-1? Bet its loud! You might need to rejet it though.

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #5
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

It's dual, yeah. They're the same on both sides. I thot so too, but surprisingly, they're not that loud. It definitely sounds throatier than the buzzy bee sound of some bikes I've heard. Of course I've only revved it up to no more than 3k rpm in my garage. So I am kind of concerned about how it will sound at cruising speed. Like I said, its not as loud as some Harley's I've heard, but I don't really want to push the threshold of the local cops. LOL. BTW, I'm pretty sure the header is stock. Would that change your rejet prognosis?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #6
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Even if the headers are stock, the shortening of the exhaust and the different pipes on the ends will lean out your mixture quite a bit. I would definitely recommend re-jetting. It may be a bit of a process to find the optimal jetting setup though with such a unique exhaust setup.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #7
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

It's had a number of previous owners, so I don't know what exactly has been done to it. Assuming that one of them didn't do a re-jet, how would I know if it is running lean? What are some indications? Can I tell by its idle, or do I have to ride it, or is it some kind of test that would require equipment? Sorry so many questions. N00b rider, and even n00b-ier wrencher.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
It's had a number of previous owners, so I don't know what exactly has been done to it. Assuming that one of them didn't do a re-jet, how would I know if it is running lean? What are some indications? Can I tell by its idle, or do I have to ride it, or is it some kind of test that would require equipment? Sorry so many questions. N00b rider, and even n00b-ier wrencher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its all in the spark plugs

*Taken for another website:"lean bikes have ashy white spark plugs, whereas rich bikes have gunky brown ones. Just right (someone correct me if wrong) is a cleanish plug with a little brown tinge."

Also if you havent I'd suggest you getting a clymer manual for it. On the back of mine it shows what your spark plugs are suppose to look like.

Edit:::: No problem with the questions, thats what we're here for! You get it all straigtened out we wanna see pics of the bike. (I'd like to hear it running too)

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

An easy way to tell if it's lean is to ride it in 5th gear and open the throttle all the way. If it stops accelerating before 11-12,000 RPM it's probably lean. If it's too rich the big will feel like it's bogging down.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #10
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Unfortunately, until I get her on the road, I'll try the visual check of the plugs first and start there. If that looks okay, then I'll try the second method. Thanks both for the troubleshooting insights. I do intend to get some sort of manual before I do any extensive probing, just trying to find out if there may be anything I should be concerned about before taking her out for the maiden voyage. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #11
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

That's awesome! Are the cans stock?

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #12
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

I have no clue, blink. LOL. I always liked the original exhaust look, but the more I look at them, they've grown on me. I don't know if they were cut from the stock muffler or what, but I think they are actually welded to the headers, so if I want to "take it back to stock", I have a feeling I'll be replacing the whole exhaust system. I can't wait to hear what they sound like at road speed, tho.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #13
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
I have no clue, blink. LOL. I always liked the original exhaust look, but the more I look at them, they've grown on me. I don't know if they were cut from the stock muffler or what, but I think they are actually welded to the headers, so if I want to "take it back to stock", I have a feeling I'll be replacing the whole exhaust system. I can't wait to hear what they sound like at road speed, tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmmm that's weird! Well I'd love to hear it before I even thought of changing the exhaust system. Not many people take the time to do something like that!
Very unique

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:25 PM   #14
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
That's awesome! Are the cans stock?
They look like custom shorty chrome mufflers, the sort of thing you'd see on old triumphs and Yam twins.
I had a pair on a 750 Tiger once, sounded nice. They're often referred to as 'chop pots'.

If you are completely new to setting up an engine mixture wise, you might be safer taking to a rolling road where they can tell you EXACTLY how it is running through the entire rev range.
You can do a plug chop be running up the road at full throttle, then hit the kill switch without shutting off, but the colour of the plug will only tell you whether the main jet is correct, not the needle jet, needle position or slide cutaway. TBO, I don't even know if you can get a different throttle slide for these carbs ?
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM   #15
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The best way to know how the mix is running is to take it to a shop with a dyno. the next best option is to do the mains by doing full throttle tests and plug checks, then get the needles shimmed properly, then adjust the idle

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...uretor_jetting

this should get you the basics. If you're a noob wrencher, either pay someone to do it for you, or find a friend with bike mechanic knowledge. these are easy bikes to work on and great for learning what you're doing
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:45 AM   #16
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Yeah, I don't have the money to really put into the bike. I've been riding it for the past couple days (purely recreational and not as necessary transportation) and its been running great, best as I can tell. Before I bought it, I did a title check and there were about half a dozen previous owners, and I'm guessing that a lot of this has already been done by them. But as long as nothing major happens between now, and when the snow flies, I'll keep my hands out of the engine and enjoy the ride. I'll have plenty of time to research and learn my way around the engine once the winter season hits.

Oh, and according my girlfriend these pipes are LOUD. She was following me in my car last nite, and said she had to watch her tach, cuz she couldn't hear the engine to know when to shift. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device