ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Otter
ninjette.org member

Name: Spence

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250SE, green

Boot with the most Protection?

Hi. I had never really given much thought to feet-their complexity, their necessity to a normal life, and the very real potential for very serious, life-altering/debilitating injury in our sport/riding-until I followed a link from here to photos of motorcycle-related injuries. The foot/ankle injuries impressed me the most, and really drove home the need for good protective boots.

So, my question is this:
Which boot offers the absolute BEST protection:
$200 and under?
$200-$400?
$400 and over?

What are some must have features?
Are any brands typically better than others?
Are the more expensive boots actually safer than mid-priced models?
Is there a site that objectively quantifies the protection offered by gear based on objective research?

I've done a fair amount of research on this subject, and, yes, I've done a search here

Thanks
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Check through here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/

If you're looking for race boots and price is no option, then find any one of the big brands that fit you comfortably. You'll see the whole range of brands represented in motogp, so if they trust it, its probably worthwhile. The Dainese torque pro boots, Alpinestars supertech, sidi vortice are all worthy boots. I just bought myself a pair of Dainese Torque Pro Out Air boots because not only does the brand name carry weight, but they're perforated (SoCal gets HOT), have an excellent exterior ankle and foot protection system, are super easy to get in and out of, and make me look like a stormtrooper.

For day to day boots, it depends what temperatures you see, if it rains a lot, how easy/comfortable they are to wear daily or what. I wouldn't get any boot that goes below the ankle or has no ankle protection system. Get what fits you best and suits you for riding conditions.

Also of note: you'll find very little info on "crash protection" because no two crashes are alike, and nobody really wants to go intentionally crash a bike for the sake of science. Thats what racers are for, and if you wear what they wear, you're better off. I've dropped my bike a few times and every time walked away with nothing but a bruise because I was wearing full riding gear (and my cell phone as a hip slider). Even cheapo stuff. Something is better than nothing!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I just bought the A* SMX-5 boots they are super comfortable but take a bit of getting used to from normal shoes. I walked around in these boots for about 3-4 hours and they were super light and comfortable for an everyday riding boot with track quality protection

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Price is no object: Daytona Security Evo's

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Link to the boots Alex mentioned. He has brought these boots up before in another thread. After doing some research, I really am starting to have to agree with him. These boots are probably the best money can buy.

My only real question is whether or not they are worth upwards of three times the Alpinestars SuperTech R, which uses an inner system as well. In addition, Dainese and Sidi make some really great boots at around the $400 mark. Are the Daytona's really worth the extra investment? Will they really protect three times as well?

On a side note, I also did research on Helimot. Seems like a great company. I will be getting a custom suit at some point in the future when I have the money to get out to the track. I am keeping Helimot at the top of my list. I may or may not be getting gloves through them, though it is interesting to note that they used to distribute Held gloves; the Titan is my go to for the track as of this moment.

Good luck with the boots. I am pleased with my A*s S-MX R's; I find they fit almost perfectly, size 48. Certainly not the most protective boot available, but I certainly feel protected in them, and they are very easy to ride in (unless I'm on my wife's TU and then it's tennis shoes).

Old August 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

I payed $413 after tax for my Sidi ST perforated boots and LOVE them, there super comfortable and they have amazing protection. And they flow a ton of air! I wear them any time im on my bike. Even on my 2 mile commute to work Really easy to get on and off

When I went down on them they handles great, wasnt a bad crash to the feet but it may have been worse if i didnt have them on

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #7
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Daytona Security Evo's
Alex, have you had a pair? At they narrow, wide, high arch, low arch, loose heel ...
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nope - I've got Vertigo Corsas for raceboots, and SMX-5's for the street. People swear by those Evo's though. I wouldn't drop that much $ on boots like that without having them personally fitted here at Helimot anyway, but the good news is it's just a few miles south of here.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #9
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

See, that's my bummer. I am far down the coast and just can't arrange things to get to their shop to reconnoiter. I think it's like Dale Boots. Sigh, eventually I'll stop by. Thanks.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #10
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

200 and under range = http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots

200 - 400 range
starting at
260 puma http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3128
280 tcx http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4162
340 tcx http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10837
395 SIDI http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-st-boots

400+
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-vortice-boots
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #11
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Price is no object: Daytona Security Evo's
Looks can be deceiving with this one. It looks so generic from the outside but damn there is so much technology going into it.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #12
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

^ yeah, they look so plain and simple... but I think the price is overkill.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #13
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

I like this list but I would add the SMX plus in the $280 and 350 range. The new 2011 doesnt have the old squeak sound people were complaining about in the old model.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Otter
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all of the helpful advice (very generously given) and useful links. I'm not at home, so I haven't been able to check them all out yet, except the Daytona's. WoW!!! They must have some VERY special innards!!! A bit much for me, I think. Steve, I like the stormtroopers-seriously!
I also like the Sidi's, but I've heard they run narrow-I don't have Fred Flintstone feet, but they are a hair wide I read that TXC makes a good boot, and that they are a little wider. Any experience? The TXC S racer looks interesting. However, they don't seem to offer the "air" model in black
Thanks again for y'all's help

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Otter
ninjette.org member

Oops. Sorry, Mike. Just looked at your links more closely and saw the TCX s race there. Also see that I am somewhat dyslexic-TCX not TXC

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #16
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Check out the MX boots. best protection IMO
I wear a pair at the track. Think im the only one I have ever seen do it. not real comfortable to walk in though.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Otter
ninjette.org member

Kevin-I recall reading a post here by someone who liked MX boots for street/track. Maybe it was you?...
Any model in particular?

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #18
mishka
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I second the Sidi STs. I have the non perforated version and even during the hot Georgia summer days, they get equally sweaty as normal running shoes of mine. Not to mention I get compliments all the time.
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote