ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM   #41
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

I don't know enough to contribute anything other than "I don't know" about whether the clutch eccentricity you displayed in the video is ok/bad/terrifying.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM   #42
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

^^bump^^
It seems to be a slow day around here....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #43
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

You, sir, have talent for discovering new learning opportunities.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to say, other than check to make sure everything went on straight. I know it's not a wonderful thought, but I'd seriously consider removing the clutch basket again to see if it's the shaft that eccentric, the basket or something else. Might be a cross-thread on the main nut (I seriously doubt it, between your attention to detail and those huge threads) or more likely a bearing that didn't re-seat 100%.

I remember that nut being a rat b@$t@rd to remove. Called around to every moto shop within 50miles and no-one had the tool, so I wound up sticking a 2x4 in the rear wheel and borrowing a friend's impact wrench to get it off.

Starting to have less & less faith in anything Motion Pro after seeing your basket and hearing three separate stories this month about their tools catastrophically failing when they shouldn't.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:34 PM   #44
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
You, sir, have talent for discovering new learning opportunities.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to say, other than check to make sure everything went on straight. I know it's not a wonderful thought, but I'd seriously consider removing the clutch basket again to see if it's the shaft that eccentric, the basket or something else. Might be a cross-thread on the main nut (I seriously doubt it, between your attention to detail and those huge threads) or more likely a bearing that didn't re-seat 100%.

I remember that nut being a rat b@$t@rd to remove. Called around to every moto shop within 50miles and no-one had the tool, so I wound up sticking a 2x4 in the rear wheel and borrowing a friend's impact wrench to get it off.

Starting to have less & less faith in anything Motion Pro after seeing your basket and hearing three separate stories this month about their tools catastrophically failing when they shouldn't.
Yes, I sure am learning... that is for sure.

When I got home today, I did remove it just to be sure. Unfortunately this didn't help at all. Problem is still there

In reference to those huge threads, my wife and I are right now discussing pulling the trigger on it. Tomorrow I will very likely order that ebay engine. I am just so done with all the stupid little #$%@ that is going wrong. Unfortunately I am finding out that CA is NOT the place to be when putting in a new engine..... at Kerry's suggestion I am researching the issue with the DMV, and they make it almost as difficult as buying a gun in this state (legally I mean)!

I hadn't heard anything about Motion Pro stuff going bad before... any specific tools? When I removed the basket this evening, I found that if I grab the basket not at 50/50%, but closer to 60/40% or so, the tool does actually seat better, and isn't as prone to do as much damage, but it STILL isn't perfect.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #45
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Yes, I sure am learning... that is for sure.

When I got home today, I did remove it just to be sure. Unfortunately this didn't help at all. Problem is still there

In reference to those huge threads, my wife and I are right now discussing pulling the trigger on it. Tomorrow I will very likely order that ebay engine. I am just so done with all the stupid little #$%@ that is going wrong. Unfortunately I am finding out that CA is NOT the place to be when putting in a new engine..... at Kerry's suggestion I am researching the issue with the DMV, and they make it almost as difficult as buying a gun in this state (legally I mean)!

I hadn't heard anything about Motion Pro stuff going bad before... any specific tools? When I removed the basket this evening, I found that if I grab the basket not at 50/50%, but closer to 60/40% or so, the tool does actually seat better, and isn't as prone to do as much damage, but it STILL isn't perfect.
Re: 'huge threads' I'd actually meant the physical threads on the main clutch nut that mates it to the drive shaft, but I suppose the other usage applies too

Yikes on the issue at hand. I'd hate to think that shaft is so 'easy' to bend. That's all I've got in the idea book though. Hopefully one of the pros will check this later in the day, pitch in something else to check and/or a fix.

Very sorry to hear you're considering a whole engine swap, but to be frank, I think I'd be on the same page at this point. The legal paperwork behind the swap doesn't sound surprising, but it figures you'd be in the state that makes this (likely) harder than the other 49. I hear the install itself isn't all that bad, just needs some heavy lifting and patience. Definitely a DIY opportunity though.

For Motion Pro, it was two brand-spankin' new chain breakers on small chains being used properly that completely failed before accomplishing much more than deforming the chain link pin. I'd have to look up the third instance, but it was another simple tool that came apart where it shouldn't on the first or second use. And to clarify, by "this month" I meant July, not just the last three days.

On a related note, I installed my APE manual CCT yesterday and WOW, what a difference in the chatter. Afraid I've got it too tight, but I just snugged it down enough to make the noise go away that the POS OEM part wasn't doing anything about.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM   #46
headshrink

Yeah, that APE CCT is nice, huh.

Old August 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #47
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've ridden with bad chains, bad sprockets, way too tight chains, etc and I have to wonder if these events bent my shaft as well. I haven't looked at it but my friction zone has moved almost to the very end of my clutch lever range, so it seems to be wearing out. I wonder if a bent shaft from a too-tight chain could cause excessive clutch wear after introducing the wobble. I, too, use Rotella T6.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #48
headshrink

Good point, I doubt it though.... unless I'm mistaken, I think the input shaft, that the clutch connects to, and the output shaft are separate parts. Am I wrong about the relation between input and output?

I have also wondered if Rotella T6 played a role in clutch wear, but I'm not overly paranoid about that.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this, because it was so slight, and I don't often notice it anymore, but for a long time I have had something feel uneven, or not perfectly smooth.... like a tire out of balance, but this was consistent with different sets. I always wondered if I bent the output shaft just a hair, in the same manner, when I installed the 15T. I am only using the impact gun on those bolts now.

BTW: New engine is in bike, and I'll finish hooking it up tonight.

Old August 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #49
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I don't know anything about the mechanics of it but they are on opposite sides and I assumed it passed straight through into the clutch.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #50
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I don't know anything about the mechanics of it but they are on opposite sides and I assumed it passed straight through into the clutch.
I checked the SM, and they are different shafts.... which makes sense since the transmition does all the gear reduction magic between in and out shafts.