ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #1
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): '04 ninja 250

crazy idle

i have a 04 ninja. the kid i got the bike from did not know anything and randomly tired to adjust things on the bike. i got the week for couple weeks now and it starts but idles insanely high. the idle adjustment screw is all the way out, the throttle cables are not puling, no vacuum leaks, new gas... should i pull the carbs out? could it be the sync? suggestions? choke seems to be moving the bracket on the top of the carbs.. but could it be stuck inside?

here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIvuEVknqg0

Last futzed with by bcemkara84; August 11th, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added video
bcemkara84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

What do you mean when you say the throttle cable is not pulling? Is it attached to the carb? When you twist the throttle, does it not move the bracket on the right side of the carb?

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

i mean the cable is not pulling the throttle on its own. yes the bracket moves as u twist throttle. and revs up even higher and does not come back down. r

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Doesn't the idle get higher when the idle adjustment screw is all the way out? IIRC, as it is tightened, the idle goes down. (though I must be mistaken, as it would likely be one of the first things you tried already )

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Doesn't the idle get higher when the idle adjustment screw is all the way out? IIRC, as it is tightened, the idle goes down.
Idle goes up as you turn the screw in, down as you back it out.

Did he drill out the plugs over the mixture screws? If so, I would start by setting those to the recommended setting of 2.5 turns out. If you're comfortable pulling the carbs off, yes I would do that too. It'll give you a chance to clean them and make sure the jetting is all stock. Check all the seals, gaskets and o-rings. Look for tears in the diaphragms. Do a quick bench sync, and after reinstalling them yourself, you'll know it was done right.

Old August 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #6
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

the idle adjustment is not the issue at all. even backed out all the way not even touching the bracket the bike still idles really high. he did drill the mixture screw plugs... i already tired that and got a small screwdriver in there and they are 2.5 turns out.also drained out the bowls.. there is gas in both....i just hate messing with carbs.. u guys think it is a carb issue?

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #7
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Souded like a stuck throttle
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #8
CynicalC

As long as you can see that the throttle is snapping back shut properly, I'd say yes it's definitely an air/fuel issue and the carbs would be the starting point. Something as simple as taking the carbs off and putting them back on can solve the problem if the boots are not seated properly and letting excess air into the system. Itll let you see if theyre way out of sync too, which could be the problem. Also with the mixture screws, make sure you're counting full turns. The slotted head on the screw can trick your brain into Counting a half turn as a full one.

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #9
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

i doubt it is a leak on the boots. i have new claps on all of them. i will try the mixture screws again tomorrow. and if that doesn't help than i will pull the carbs off. i hate carbs... anyone interested in cleaning and syncing them for me?

Old August 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

so had the time to pull the carbs out and apart today. i have to say there are some stupid people out there and people should just NOT touch anything if they are stupid. Someone (old owner) must have tried to rebuild these carbs, the mixture screws were 1 turn and 4 turns, the needle seat is missing on one side... and also i noticed that there is a T in the middle of the two carbs connecting them together and nothing is attached to it. does anyone know what is supposed to go there?. does anyone have a diagram for a 04?

Old August 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #11
CynicalC

The T is normal. It should be attached to a clear hose that just drains on the right side of the bike. If the float needles aren't seating, and it just keeps filling up with gas, the gas will drain out of that hose onto the ground.

Only other T there could be would be the one colored yellow in this pic, which would be related to California emissions which is unlikely in your case.

When you say a needle seat is missing, what exactly are you talking about?

Also you said you set the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out already. What screws are you talking about that are 4 turns out?

Make sure the carbs are reasonably synced. It doesn't have to be perfect. You can do it by eye to get the bike running fine.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Carburetor_photos

And any bike parts website will have good exploded view parts diagrams. Ronayers, bikebandit, etc.

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #12
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

the needle seat i am talking about is a piece of plastic between the needle and the spring. On one carb that piece is missing. kaw part # 16007-1120.($16.00) the mixture screws has had been reset back to 2.5 turns... my buddy is gonna bench sync them for me and i will go from there...

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcemkara84 View Post
and also i noticed that there is a T in the middle of the two carbs connecting them together and nothing is attached to it. does anyone know what is supposed to go there?. does anyone have a diagram for a 04?
Year doesn't matter. The T you are talking about is for the CA emissions. You can either cap it off, or replace it with a piece of hose that connects the two ports with no break in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
The T is normal. It should be attached to a clear hose that just drains on the right side of the bike.
You're thinking of the overflow hose, which is connected lower on the body of the carbs.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #14
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Year doesn't matter. The T you are talking about is for the CA emissions. You can either cap it off, or replace it with a piece of hose that connects the two ports with no break in the middle.

You're thinking of the overflow hose, which is connected lower on the body of the carbs.
Read my post. I'm familiar with the CA Emissions system. I thought it unlikely to be present on a bike in CT, but I could be wrong. No way of knowing which he's talking about without seeing pictures, but he did say a "T in the middle of the carbs that connects them together" Sounds more like the overflow to me.

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #15
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

it is not ca emissions. it is the overflow hose. this is right in the center of both carbs.. not on the vacuum lines up top. does the overflow hose hang dump on the ground or is it supposed to dump anywhere else?

Old August 18th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #16
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcemkara84 View Post
it is not ca emissions. it is the overflow hose. this is right in the center of both carbs.. not on the vacuum lines up top. does the overflow hose hang dump on the ground or is it supposed to dump anywhere else?
Right on the ground. On the right side of the bike you should see a little metal loop at the bottom of the frame with 3 or 4 hoses just pointing at the ground. One comes from the gas tank, one from the coolant reservoir, and I think one from the bottom of the airbox that should have a plug in it. Along with the clear overflow tube from between the carbs.

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #17
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

thanks for the info. the missing parts for the carb should be in tomorrow. i will let u guys know what the bike does after making sure the carbs are %100... keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the end of fixing this bike...

Old August 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #18
bcemkara84
ninjette.org member

so the bike runs ...went around the block couple times... but once i shut it off it doesnt want to start back up easily... new battery and fresh gas might be the solution...