ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): none yet

the dreaded exhaust question

Hey guys I don't know if this is the right place for this. But I'm looking at getting a ninja 250r 2008-2011 and putting a exhaust on it. But I'm so torn between exhaust systems.
I like the jardine gp1 full system but I've heard it messes up your bike due to it being a straight pipe.
I like the jardine short pipe look. And the sound. But I don't wanna mess the motor up
So I was wondering if anyone could help me with the truth.
But I'm also stuck between sever different echaust

The full jardine gp1
The yoshi exhaust. Even though it sounds quiet to me.
Hot bodies slip on growler
The two brothers system even though there expensive
the area p 12" exhaust.
Or the comp werkes

So if anyone can help me. Please do.
And if anyone has any other suggestions on a good sounding pipe I'm open to ideas

Thanks guys.

Last futzed with by gsxrninja250; August 24th, 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: add/remove
gsxrninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Yoshi is super quality.
that would be my choice.. Full carbon yoshi system.
Sounds beautiful.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

full exhaust: re-jet

slip-on: can get away with shimming needles..
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
full exhaust: re-jet slip-on: can get away with shimming needles..
I will never, ever understand why people will spend $300 on an exhuast but won't spend $5 on new jets. Especially since 90% of any performance benefit comes from the jetting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #5
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I will never, ever understand why people will spend $300 on an exhuast but won't spend $5 on new jets. Especially since 90% of any performance benefit comes from the jetting.
Posted via Mobile Device
i nono
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #6
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Uhhhh guys I was asking about exhausts. And how people would rate them. Not about re jetting I know about jetting and everything. I'm a avid dirtbiker and atv rider.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

It kinda depends on why you want an exhaust. If it's weight savings, go for the lightest one. If it's because you hate your neighbors, go for the loudest one. If it's just a status symbol, go for the shiniest one. I don't really know which ones are the best for those categories, though.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #8
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Part of your question was regarding an exhaust system messing up your engine. When you do a full exhaust install, this is usually paired with an intake. Doing this to a carbureted engine will cause your engine to run lean and will eventually damage your engine since it has no way of adding fuel on its own. Remember these bikes come pretty lean from the factory for the high gas mileage.

So as previously stated, if you are doing a full exhaust you need to re-jet.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #9
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I got the Area P race exhaust system. It sounds beautiful and the carbon fiber looks good too (I actually would have preferred to save some money with stainless, but...).

If you're looking for hp gains, this is one of the better options. You can get a shorter can, but I talked with guys at Area P and they say (from their testing) that it drops peak hp by about 0.7 hp (compared to their full length can). That doesn't sound like a lot, but when your in the ~30hp range to start that's a pretty big percentage.

Last futzed with by krakatak; August 25th, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

IMO the area P sounds the best. Its the least like a lawnmower, has a really nice tone to it

Old August 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #11
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

my rt5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110825_090411.jpg (73.5 KB, 2 views)

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #12
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Area P is top notch without a doubt!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #13
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBNTH View Post
Part of your question was regarding an exhaust system messing up your engine. When you do a full exhaust install, this is usually paired with an intake. Doing this to a carbureted engine will cause your engine to run lean and will eventually damage your engine since it has no way of adding fuel on its own. Remember these bikes come pretty lean from the factory for the high gas mileage.

So as previously stated, if you are doing a full exhaust you need to re-jet.
As I sdtated before I understand about having to rejet with a full pipe. What I was talking about was the jardine gp1 exhaust I had heard around because its just a straight pipe with no cats or muffler that it will eventually burn up your rings and valves due to it having no muffler. That's why I was asking about that

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrninja250 View Post
As I sdtated before I understand about having to rejet with a full pipe. What I was talking about was the jardine gp1 exhaust I had heard around because its just a straight pipe with no cats or muffler that it will eventually burn up your rings and valves due to it having no muffler. That's why I was asking about that
i don't understand. you say you know about jetting. but then you ask a question related to jetting. you say you know that because there's no cats, it will cause damage without rejetting, but you still ask the question if you can get away with it?

no. if you want a straight pipe with no cat, which is the same as a "full pipe" typically, you have to rejet. otherwise you will lose power and eventually damage your engine.

it's not the fact that it has no muffler. it's the fact that you're changing the flow which changes the fuel/air ratio, requiring you to rejet.

running an engine with improperly tuned fuel/air ratio will at worst eventually cause damage to the engine, at best it will screw with the power.

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #15
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My only guess would be that with the increased air flow from the removed restrictions is causing the bike to run lean. Running lean will cause the engine to heat up and eventually cause detonation. I dont think the issues stated are only because of there not being any muffler but because of the increase air flow, however it may be.

I really dont see a company putting a product out there that would cause damage no matter what you do. My thinking is the people complaining about that exhaust are just slapped the thing on and didn't bother tuning the bike.

I could be wrong since I dont know anything about that product but Im willing to bet that the necessary supporting mods weren't done.

EDIT: alex.s you beat me to it

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Running lean is no good . The heat will ruin things . Burn valves cook the oil in the head. Not running a muffler is not good because it does not make power.

I tried all sort of straight pipes on the dyno .Trying all sort of jetting/ needle and ignition changes. Measuring the air fuel ratio and HP on the dyno jet dynamometer . The engine lost between one and three hp .Even with the mixture lean or rich. Nothing I could do would bring back the power. Not just top end power either.
Mostly because of the short length of pipes. Short loud pipes kill power from idle to full throttle. Long straight pipes will give some top end power back .But are to loud for the street. Mufflers seem to help with HP and Torque or HP at low RPM.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #17
ninja250
You are sleeping

In other words what he is saying is a well designed muffler is a good thing.

I haven't known anyone to regret the purchase of the full yoshi system. On any bike.

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #18
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
A well designed exhaust with a muffler and the proper tuning is a good thing.

For the street its Yoshi all the way

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #19
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

So in plane and simple words the jardine gp1 exhaust is a bad choice for something other than a loud pipe? And it hurts performance. Hmm. I mean I want something loud. Or at least somewhat loud. But I don't want to lose performance. And I don't know. I like yoshi exhaust but they just seem so quiet at both idel and throttle on the ninja 250r. Even on other bikes they seem quiet to me. I want something that can be heard. But won't lose power. Sorry if I'm making this hard on everyone.

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Area p

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #21
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

What about the full system for two brothers? Is it any good? Or would I be better off with a area p or yoshi?

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #22
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I can't compare to the 250R 2Bros full system, but when I started the bike for the first time with the Area P, I went "Oh S***, that's loud". Upon further review, I have to say it's not that loud, it's just loud compared to the stock exhaust. Area P says it's something like 96 dB (iirc). The D&D I had on my old F3 was way louder, and the Area P is comparable to 2Bros I had on my 636.
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #23
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

if you like the Jardine go with it. Their company is geared towards performance. I highly doubt they are going to design a loud pipe with performance loss. The performance gains of all full exhaust systems that are designed for a specific engine are so close I doubt you would be able to notice the difference.

Old August 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have a question... why do you want such a loud pipe

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #25
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i have a question... why do you want such a loud pipe
To answer that question. I just want to make sure I'm noticed by drivers so they don't change lanes. I live in one of the citys with the most un atentive drivers. And the i-5 is one of the worst places I see people changing lanes without looking all of the time. So I just want to make sure I'm noticed. If I decide to take that freeway ever. But I drive it on a dayly basis to work and back every day.

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #26
FBNTH
ninjette.org member

Hate to tell you but loud pipes aren't going to make you more noticeable. What are you going to do when a teenybopper has the windows up, AC on full, while blasting the latest Rebecca Black failure having fun fun fun cause they have to get down on friday looking forward to the weekend? I dont think your loud pipes are going to help you or the rest of the motorist on the road.

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #27
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBNTH View Post
Hate to tell you but loud pipes aren't going to make you more noticeable. What are you going to do when a teenybopper has the windows up, AC on full, while blasting the latest Rebecca Black failure having fun fun fun cause they have to get down on friday looking forward to the weekend? I dont think your loud pipes are going to help you or the rest of the motorist on the road.
COTD if this site has one. And you speak the truth. when my windows are up even with the radio down I can barely hear bikes passing me, and these are straight pipe harleys and some modded SS's
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #28
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
To answer that question. I just want to make sure I'm noticed by drivers so they don't change lanes. I live in one of the citys with the most un atentive drivers. And the i-5 is one of the worst places I see people changing lanes without looking all of the time. So I just want to make sure I'm noticed. If I decide to take that freeway ever. But I drive it on a dayly basis to work and back every day.
Using a loud pipe to increase safety is a touchy subject. It may or may not help you. What it will do is annoy the hell out of you because your ears will hurt if it's too loud. Also, on the freeway, do you really think anybody is going to hear an exhaust no matter how loud? They rarely hear 18wheelers or emergency vehicles. With modern cabin isolation and sound systems, i'd be surprised if it mattered at all.

I'm not saying you shouldnt do it if that's what you want, I'm just warning you as an FYI that it may or may not make a difference. Tons of threads on this topic about loud pipes.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #29
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

I'm not worried about it being too loud for me. Considering my atv runs a full system race pipe that's like 105db at 1/4 throttle. I just want a little bit of noise if I need it to make my presents know. But I do agree with modern cars having sound proof cabins. Some people won't hear me. (Which in my opinion new cars sound proof cabins are some what dangerous but that's just me) so I'm just looking for a little extra noise so I'm not whisper quiet

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #30
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I cant find the video with a Yoshi . But this is a couple full throttle videos . First video is a normal exhaust . Not to much louder than a Yoshi. The second is a home made dual exhaust . The end of the track is a mile away . The shift into sixth gear is at the 3/4 mile mark. Stupid loud but it did make power at top end.

This is a Nojima Moto GP system
http://youtu.be/ueQi4JEpFYA

this a custom made dual megaphone system.
http://youtu.be/1R8pQRHTm6w

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #31
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I cant find the video with a Yoshi . But this is a couple full throttle videos . First video is a normal exhaust . Not to much louder than a Yoshi. The second is a home made dual exhaust . The end of the track is a mile away . The shift into sixth gear is at the 3/4 mile mark. Stupid loud but it did make power at top end.

This is a Nojima Moto GP system
http://youtu.be/ueQi4JEpFYA

this a custom made dual megaphone system.
http://youtu.be/1R8pQRHTm6w
Man thoes dual pipes are way too loud. Even from far away.

As for the moto gp. That isn't too bad

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #32
ninja250
You are sleeping

LA is tough to drive in.
The city that doesn't use blinkers.
A bright yellow bike can help.
A pipe will help a hair too..

But being extra careful is the main course.
I rode a GSXR to work every day with a micron last year in in the morning and afternoon rush hour from Northridge to North Hollywood from 118 to 5fwy and back every day rain or shine.

Saw cars literally flipped over at least once a week, and plenty of accidents every morning. The amount of people flowing through that intersection of 118/405/5 fwy's is crazy horrific for a motorcyclist, yet somehow I made it through.

You just have to ride "IN YOUR BUBBLE" and watch out for everyone.
Be careful and you'll get the feel for it. Don't even pay attention to the other motorcycles on the road accept to wave them by you because those people in LA on motorcycles are crazy and will get you kill if you follow them.

I think the most dangerous part about my ride home from work on the GSXR was when I finally got out of traffic and open up the throttle. hehe

p.s. yoshi

Old August 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #33
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
LA is tough to drive in.
The city that doesn't use blinkers.
A bright yellow bike can help.
A pipe will help a hair too..

But being extra careful is the main course.
I rode a GSXR to work every day with a micron last year in in the morning and afternoon rush hour from Northridge to North Hollywood from 118 to 5fwy and back every day rain or shine.

Saw cars literally flipped over at least once a week, and plenty of accidents every morning. The amount of people flowing through that intersection of 118/405/5 fwy's is crazy horrific for a motorcyclist, yet somehow I made it through.

You just have to ride "IN YOUR BUBBLE" and watch out for everyone.
Be careful and you'll get the feel for it. Don't even pay attention to the other motorcycles on the road accept to wave them by you because those people in LA on motorcycles are crazy and will get you kill if you follow them.

I think the most dangerous part about my ride home from work on the GSXR was when I finally got out of traffic and open up the throttle. hehe

p.s. yoshi
I agree about california drivers. They won't signal. They signal and get over without even looking. Its crazy. Expecially around the out skirts of la. And in la
As for the yellow bike I was thinking of going with the lime green ninja 250r since its bright. Haha.

I will also agree that other california motorcycleist will get you killed. I watch them risk there life a lot. And I don't dare ride with them or near them. Haha.