ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Rys
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 09 black 250

Jet kits air boxes shimmed needles and new sprockets?

Ok so I have heard people talk about them but I'm curious what kind of performance increase can be expected if you do all this stuff. I don't see my wife letting me upgrade to a different bike anytime soon if ever. I know the performance increase is not gonna make this a completely new bike but I'm playing the hand I have been dealt. Can someone give me the cliffnotes version on what these things will do for my bike and what it might cost to have it done. Also the bike has a two brothers can on it already. Not the full exhaust.
Rys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys View Post
Ok so I have heard people talk about them but I'm curious what kind of performance increase can be expected if you do all this stuff. I don't see my wife letting me upgrade to a different bike anytime soon if ever. I know the performance increase is not gonna make this a completely new bike but I'm playing the hand I have been dealt. Can someone give me the cliffnotes version on what these things will do for my bike and what it might cost to have it done. Also the bike has a two brothers can on it already. Not the full exhaust.
To Start: Slip-On's do not offer much performance gain

Sprockets: if you geared your bike down( or up I forgot when one it is but to make it shorter) the bike will accelerate faster but have a lower top speed

Chain: it sort of goes with sprocket but, you can buy the 415(?) chain from aftermarket cycles and I think it shaves like 2 lbs which translates to something more in rotating mass

Tires: Depending on what tires you have on now, tires could be a performance upgrade

Full Exhaust: Usually the best bet for performance gains, but a full exhaust must be paired with correct jetting. Also will a full exhaust many people do pod filters

The most important one of them all: Your Skill As A Rider

No amount of performance upgrades will truly compensate for bad riding skill. You could always take advanced MSF lessons or perhaps a track day w/ lessons

Also if you haven't done so already, but a full set of QUALITY gear.

I hope this helps
-Matthew

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

if you use the search function....there is plenty of info, prices, pics, DIYS for everything you just mentioned and more
ride2rideagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #4
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

^^search each one individually. Do each DIY 1 at a time and test ride it. I cant stress this enough. Cliff notes is shimming carb needles + snorkel delete is 100x worth it. Read up on it to see if the change is desirable for you. Next up personally is 15T sprocket. Again search for it and you'll see reports on if its worth it. Do your homework because we're not trying to be mean or anything but the information is out there and repetition annoys everybody.

Goodluck. Do report in their respective threads if you are having issues with anything. We'll be glad to help you troubleshoot if necessary.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Rys
ninjette.org member

Sorry not trying to be annoying I did look at the wiki and the diy stuff. It was I guess a bit over my head. A lot ofthe information seems I guess technical. It is stuff like I did this and expect to get 2 more hp because of it. I guess I'm trying to figure what it's going to mean to me from a real world stand point

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Rys
ninjette.org member

Additionaly I'm not mechanically inclined like you guys. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to go to a local bike shop and have them do a jet kit and/or airpod etc..

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #7
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9465

Start with this. It's all about what you want out of the bike and what you dont like about it. If you are happy then leave it and just ride and enjoy it. If you find something lacking or you want to change something specific then do it one by one. Many people keep everything stock. It's not "necessary" to do mods.

No worries about annoying. You just need to be more specific in your questions because it is very difficult for us to do an all inclusive explanation like the one you ask.

Edit: Personally I think it is not worth it to have someone else do mods to your bike. I also think no matter how mechanically brickwalled you are, you can handle it. Just take it slow and read the DIY very carefully and go slow. You'll get the hang of it over time. If you arent sure you can handle it right away, do smaller things. Try oil changes, air filter cleaning, cable lube, chain lube, etc first and work your way up to it.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote