ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #1
rmacgillis
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

Removing the turn signal bulbs

Can someone please tell me how to remove the turn signal bulbs from their housing. My left front one just went out. Thanks
rmacgillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #2
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

drop it. thats what i did
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

remove the phillips screw from the underside to remove the plastic lens which then allows you access to the bulb and reflector. To remove the bulb, just push in and turn. Installation is reverse order.

Old October 8th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
remove the phillips screw from the underside to remove the plastic lens which then allows you access to the bulb and reflector. To remove the bulb, just push in and turn. Installation is reverse order.
The first one I encountered the bulb was "stuck" in the reflector and took an enormous amount of force to free. I was surpirsed that it didn't shatter and shred my fingers!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #5
rmacgillis
ninjette.org newbie

left side blinkers don't work and won't blink

Thanks, I figured out how to get the bulbs out. However, it did not solve my problem. I took my 2008 ninja 250r in to get it serviced and have new headlights installed. When I got the bike back, I noticed my front left turn signal does not light, but my back left turn signal will light up but it will not flash. My right side turn signals work perfectly. I know there are tons of threads about flashers and relays but those are for the upgraded LEDs where as mine are stock.

I moved the bulbs to different sides and I get the same results, so I know it's not a burnt bulb. I just checked all the fuses and they were all intact. I am beginning to question the relay as I can hear it click once when I switch on my left side turn signals, but when I switch on my right side turn signals I can hear it click every time with the blink.

If anyone can help me with this problem that would be great. I am extremely frustrated with this whole thing.

Thanks,

Old October 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacgillis View Post
Thanks, I figured out how to get the bulbs out. However, it did not solve my problem. I took my 2008 ninja 250r in to get it serviced and have new headlights installed. When I got the bike back, I noticed my front left turn signal does not light, but my back left turn signal will light up but it will not flash. My right side turn signals work perfectly. I know there are tons of threads about flashers and relays but those are for the upgraded LEDs where as mine are stock.

I moved the bulbs to different sides and I get the same results, so I know it's not a burnt bulb. I just checked all the fuses and they were all intact. I am beginning to question the relay as I can hear it click once when I switch on my left side turn signals, but when I switch on my right side turn signals I can hear it click every time with the blink.

If anyone can help me with this problem that would be great. I am extremely frustrated with this whole thing.

Thanks,
You've got a short somewhere. Unplug the right signal and turn on your right indicator and you'll hear the same click and the other bulb will stay on.

Try disconnecting the right side connector and plugging it in on the left side to see if you can isolate it to the assembly or the internal wiring.

Old October 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They likely forgot to reconnect the turn signal wire on the left when they replaced the fairing.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #8
rmacgillis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
You've got a short somewhere. Unplug the right signal and turn on your right indicator and you'll hear the same click and the other bulb will stay on.

Try disconnecting the right side connector and plugging it in on the left side to see if you can isolate it to the assembly or the internal wiring.
What exactly do you mean by the connector? I just checked to make sure the wires were connected to both the front right and left turn signals. Both the right side front and back blinkers blink, but the front left will not turn on and the back left will just stay lit. I will try swapping both the left side bulbs with the right side to see if it is a bad bulb. Then I will try swapping the entire front 2 turn signal units with each other.

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacgillis View Post
What exactly do you mean by the connector? I just checked to make sure the wires were connected to both the front right and left turn signals. Both the right side front and back blinkers blink, but the front left will not turn on and the back left will just stay lit. I will try swapping both the left side bulbs with the right side to see if it is a bad bulb. Then I will try swapping the entire front 2 turn signal units with each other.
When you take the fairings off they remain attached to the bike by the wires for your turn signals until you disconnect them at the connector. There is a male and female connector connected right there when you take off the side panels. Disconnect them. It's hard to unclip them by hand. I usually stick a thin wire or something in there to lift the plastic clip.

Old October 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #10
rmacgillis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
When you take the fairings off they remain attached to the bike by the wires for your turn signals until you disconnect them at the connector. There is a male and female connector connected right there when you take off the side panels. Disconnect them. It's hard to unclip them by hand. I usually stick a thin wire or something in there to lift the plastic clip.
Thanks, I fixed the problem. I went and looked through the fairing and saw that they did not reconnect the turn signal at the connector. Luckily I was able to get my fingers through that little space and connect them back together. Now I can use my left turn signal again without worrying about getting pulled over.

Old October 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I had a hunch.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #12
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Got to love it when it's one of the simple fixes.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #13
totaled
ninjette.org member

Name: Carl

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250-SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
drop it. thats what i did
+1