ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Unhappy Think I made a mistake riding my bike to work...

I work from 6 pm to 6 am everyday except Tuesdays. I was really low on gas in my car and decided to take my bike. About an hour and a half into my job so far and I'm already wanting to go to sleep, even after taking one of those 5+ hour energy shots.
Now here's why I think I made a mistake. I leave work in the early morning hours, and if you've ever lived anywhere near Southern California, you already know this automatically means, "Nobody cares about what time it is. Where you're located, you're stuck in traffic no matter what." I know riding while drowsy is far more dangerous than driving while feeling the same way, so I'm kind of afraid now...
I have a 36 mile commute one way, so that's 36 miles I'll be riding back home feeling like I can fall asleep as soon as I shut my eyes.
What do you guys think I should do? I mean, I already know there's very little for me to do, except possibly not ride back home, but that's out of the question. I'm not staying at this damn warehouse and I absolutely have no one who can give me a ride back home. Plus, leaving a motorcycle unattended at a warehouse that has no security cameras? Eff that!
Sorry. This is probably just a silly rant, but I'm genuinely nervous. I'm afraid of how I will ride while not getting any sleep for over 18 hours!

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Open that facemask up for a bit on the freeway. Talk about a freakin' wake up call. Just focus on the road, riding will wake you up. Be safe out there man.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
I work from 6 pm to 6 am everyday except Tuesdays. I was really low on gas in my car and decided to take my bike. About an hour and a half into my job so far and I'm already wanting to go to sleep, even after taking one of those 5+ hour energy shots.
Now here's why I think I made a mistake. I leave work in the early morning hours, and if you've ever lived anywhere near Southern California, you already know this automatically means, "Nobody cares about what time it is. Where you're located, you're stuck in traffic no matter what." I know riding while drowsy is far more dangerous than driving while feeling the same way, so I'm kind of afraid now...
I have a 36 mile commute one way, so that's 36 miles I'll be riding back home feeling like I can fall asleep as soon as I shut my eyes.
What do you guys think I should do? I mean, I already know there's very little for me to do, except possibly not ride back home, but that's out of the question. I'm not staying at this damn warehouse and I absolutely have no one who can give me a ride back home. Plus, leaving a motorcycle unattended at a warehouse that has no security cameras? Eff that!
Sorry. This is probably just a silly rant, but I'm genuinely nervous. I'm afraid of how I will ride while not getting any sleep for over 18 hours!
Meth
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I can so relate. I work 12 hour shifts over the weekend. I only work 3 days to be honest, friday 11pm to 7am, but saturday and sunday I do 7pm to 7am. I say ride the bike home, but be careful. I find that usually once Im geared up and off, Im more awake then at work (because graveyard is so boring.) If you're absolutely not up for it in the morning, then staying or getting a ride from someone may be your only option.

What I do, is usually by sunday I take the car. So perhaps every other day ride the bike? Perhaps just take the car. I found I only took the bike to work once so far. Mainly because gearing up was a pain, especially after 12 hour shifts, but yeah.

Ride home slow and safe, or get a ride. Only 2 options really. Then choose your days wisely. If you have a car, perhaps opt for that often, like I do. lol
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I can so relate. I work 12 hour shifts over the weekend. I only work 3 days to be honest, friday 11pm to 7am, but saturday and sunday I do 7pm to 7am. I say ride the bike home, but be careful. I find that usually once Im geared up and off, Im more awake then at work (because graveyard is so boring.) If you're absolutely not up for it in the morning, then staying or getting a ride from someone may be your only option.

What I do, is usually by sunday I take the car. So perhaps every other day ride the bike? Perhaps just take the car. I found I only took the bike to work once so far. Mainly because gearing up was a pain, especially after 12 hour shifts, but yeah.

Ride home slow and safe, or get a ride. Only 2 options really. Then choose your days wisely. If you have a car, perhaps opt for that often, like I do. lol
I take my car all the time ever since being switched to graveyard shift, but I'm currently very low on expendable funds, so putting gas in the car was a no go for me at the moment, which is why I took my bike.
Thanks, btw. I'll try to be safe. I will update you guys to let you know what I decide to do. If you don't get a message from me at least this time tomorrow night, just assume another rider bit the dust. (Actually, please pray that doesn't happen!)

Old October 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #6
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I find that, when I'm tired, as soon as I hop on the bike I feel wide awake and alert. I generally don't ride when tired anyway because I stay up almost every night until about 1:30-3a.m. Goodluck!

Old October 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I know how it feels to ride home after a long shift. If you have to, take a 20 minute cat-nap at work right when you get off, then ride home. Or, when you start getting tired, get off at the first exit you find, do some jumping jacks until you start panting, then go again. cracking the visor helps by getting you a blast of air, but if you really need to take a nap before you leave, it's better to get home a half hour late than get drowsy and miss something important
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

The cat nap is a good idea. Do some stretching, consciously take deep breaths every so often, and splash yourself with cool water before you begin will help. If you consciously do things to stay awake, you are more likely to. Good luck but I doubt you'll have a lot of trouble. Where there is a will, there is a way.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #9
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

I get up at 6 am and ride to school all the time groggy as hell. Less than a mile down the road and I'm fully awake. If riding doesn't wake you up I wouldn't bother because I don't know of anything that wakes me up faster than a blast of cool air

Old October 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Your more likely to want to fall asleep driving a car then riding the bike
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

All right, with you guys' assurance, I think my nervousness is dying down.

On a brighter note, my cousin, who also works for the same company I do, is covering for the next shift (6 am to 6 pm) for the dude who normally works that shift, so I might just take an hour long nap in his Civic before heading home.

Old October 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #12
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It could just be me, but I have found that even when I'm tired at work, as soon as my shift is over I'm good to go. o.0

Also I've found that just getting on the bike my energy and alertness level go up automatically. Maybe you'll be the same. If not, maybe that nap you have planned is a good idea.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Never had a problem riding drowsy on a bike. A car will put me to sleep no matter how much rest I've had. I also find that sunlight after a grave shift does the trick.

Note: In the middle of a 16hour grave shift right now.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Alternatively, you could take (gasp) surface roads.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Just out of curiousity...why haven't you slept in 18 hours? I get the 12 hour shift but do you not sleep until it's time to get ready for work?
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #16
nezumiamalek
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Experience

I remember being quite tired before I took off on my first winding backroad while raining at night. I was immediately wide awake (as I figured) once I started and was wired for 3 hours after getting home (got home around 3am). I am a new rider so I suppose that eventually wears off a little bit.
nezumiamalek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #17
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Alternatively, you could take (gasp) surface roads.
Alternatively, you could (gasp) realize my job is 3 towns away. Highway is the only way I know of to get to this place.

I made home fine, btw, guys.

To Malicious Logic, I haven't gotten sleep in over 24 hours now because I also attend college on Thursdays. Right after I get off work @ 6 am on a Thursday, I go straight to college, & then it's right back to work.

I'm going to sleep. Peace, b*tches

Old October 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #18
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

your alive!

Old October 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #19
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Djalma

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2010 - FI - Blue

Tanke a cold chower and a soda or something (plz dont take redbull or an thing with taurine on it or u can fall sleep after the effect)

If that does not work than try to get a ride...

Just remember driving a car when u are tired may kill u as all as others... so try to sleep more at home and keep in mind that your body has limits...

hava u heard of revvnrg? I start using/selling it here in brasil and i found 30x better than redbull and other stuff...

here is a link if u want to try using it!

http://www.revvnrg.com/bannach

It keeps me up and doesnt drop me off as soon as it is off!!

DjDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #20
Toper
ninjette.org member

Name: Toper

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Just out of curiousity...why haven't you slept in 18 hours? I get the 12 hour shift but do you not sleep until it's time to get ready for work?
this...OP is not getting enough sleep before work.
Toper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #21
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Open that facemask up for a bit on the freeway. Talk about a freakin' wake up call. Just focus on the road, riding will wake you up. Be safe out there man.
Same here, If im tired I just open up my visor and let the wind wake my ass up. Ive been extremely hung over and jumped on the bike and it was like an instant cure.

And yeah be safe! Oh and red bulls give you wings!

Old October 14th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
lanesplit WOT. that'll wake your ass up.

Old October 14th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #23
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
Alternatively, you could (gasp) realize my job is 3 towns away. Highway is the only way I know of to get to this place.

I made home fine, btw, guys.

To Malicious Logic, I haven't gotten sleep in over 24 hours now because I also attend college on Thursdays. Right after I get off work @ 6 am on a Thursday, I go straight to college, & then it's right back to work.

I'm going to sleep. Peace, b*tches
ROFL. I grew up in SoCal; the (gasp) is because except for dire emergencies (i.e., 1994 Northridge earthquake) not only does nobody walk in L.A., but they always drive the freeways No malice intended.

Glad you're fine.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toper View Post
this...OP is not getting enough sleep before work.
I know.

I barely got about 3 hours of sleep just now. My brother called me and woke me up, didn't realize I was sleeping, and now I can't fall back asleep.

Old October 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #25
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
ROFL. I grew up in SoCal; the (gasp) is because except for dire emergencies (i.e., 1994 Northridge earthquake) not only does nobody walk in L.A., but they always drive the freeways No malice intended.

Glad you're fine.
Oh, yeah, no harm done. I agree that people, not only in L.A, but SoCal as a whole tend to stay on the freeways, even when they don't need to be. In my situation, travelling by freeway is the only way I know of reaching my job. I'm sure there are ways to go about it by road, but that would kill gas mileage since I'm sure it'd be through the signal lights after signal lights, and obviously would make my ride much longer than I'd like it to be.

Old October 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #26
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

All you got to do is eat and sleep right.. you don't have to take energy shots and crap like that

but realistically it's tough because we're in a run-and-gun fast paced world where people can drive, eat a hot dog and make a phone call at the same time -_-
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #27
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Meth
+1
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #28
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I work 12's only I have an 11 mile commute..but it is a straight slab ride (boorrrriinnggg). I find that even after getting up at 5, riding to work, working 7-7, and then riding home I actually do well. Getting ready to go envigorates me a bit and if I'm feeling groggy I get a small cup of coffee or take side roads for the first mile or so to regain some alertness. Cracking the visor works too. Just focus on the task and try to keep your mind moving by scanning around for potential hazards, almost like you are filming a safety video, lol.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote