ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 16th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): none yet

2011 AFM Rd 8 - 250 Superbike Race

Report to follow - But here is my video!

Link to original page on Vimeo.

KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #2
blong
ninjette.org member

Name: brian

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja250, 03 sv650

Cool vid!

Is the ninja really competitive in a 250 superbike class?
blong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Neat video! Sorry to hear about the mechanical!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Great video! I loved that song!

what was that supermoto that was hauling up the straights?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

man you guys need to stop posting these up, it just pushing me more committed to racing AFM next year... bankrupting my ass!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Another push to why I should go put my 250 on the track xD
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Thanks all for the compliments!

The ninjette as ran, stock motor with pipe/jetting, is not competitive with the say top 3. But there aren't too many 2stroke 250's running and the supermoto guys are within reach. Brian Bartlow as been running as high as 2nd and 3rd at some races so it's not too bad. Plus there are usually about a dozen ninjettes running so you will find a race and that's the most important part right?

I believe that SM bike was a Honda CRF450 but not really sure. There are a couple of Yamahas that run very well also.

For those of you who are thinking about running next year in the AFM, please contact Brian Bartlow or myself as we are trying to get a cost effective race series that borders along spec racing. In a quick nutshell, you can add pipe, jetting, shock and front pre-loads. No aftermarket black boxes or quick shifters. Again the idea is to have a cost effective entry level class which teaches you about racing and hones YOUR skill not how much money you can put into the motor.

This is being proposed to run on Saturdays so those familiar with AFM can now run 2 races on Saturday along with the normal 3 races on Sunday (250 Prod, 250 Superbike and 500Twins).

Hope to see you all come out a time or two or three or 7 with us AFM'ers!

KazMan
aka - Eric

Old October 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #8
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazMan View Post
For those of you who are thinking about running next year in the AFM, please contact Brian Bartlow or myself as we are trying to get a cost effective race series that borders along spec racing. In a quick nutshell, you can add pipe, jetting, shock and front pre-loads. No aftermarket black boxes or quick shifters. Again the idea is to have a cost effective entry level class which teaches you about racing and hones YOUR skill not how much money you can put into the motor.
A series separate from AFM, WSMC, WERA or CVMA? Or would it piggyback on some of those like the series the kids that run on those moriwaki 250s? The AFM 250 production rules are pretty good in terms of restricting mods, thats what the CVMA 250 supersport class was cloned from.

Old October 17th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #9
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

awesome. makes me want to live in cali.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #10
blong
ninjette.org member

One day I'll find that perfect race class for my stock motor, superbike suspension ninja250...

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #11
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): two wheeled motorcycles

So cool. I wish WSMC had more 250s on the grid! Next year they will not offer any "Streets of Willow" races; THAT SUCKS!

I'd love to race at the Buttonwillow AFM race, but I can't afford to pay full price to join the AFM club for just one race.
copperaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaxe View Post
So cool. I wish WSMC had more 250s on the grid! Next year they will not offer any "Streets of Willow" races; THAT SUCKS!

I'd love to race at the Buttonwillow AFM race, but I can't afford to pay full price to join the AFM club for just one race.
You could always come race CVMA!

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #13
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
A series separate from AFM, WSMC, WERA or CVMA? Or would it piggyback on some of those like the series the kids that run on those moriwaki 250s? The AFM 250 production rules are pretty good in terms of restricting mods, thats what the CVMA 250 supersport class was cloned from.
This would be run with the AFM and would be on our Saturday afternoon race portion of our weekends. We just took the Production rules and looked at how we could encourage more racers and keep it competitive. This class basically eliminates the things that cost you money. Engine machining, black boxes and quickshifters and brings it back to basically what most do as standard performance upgrades on the street. Exhaust and suspension tuning.

Ninjettes are already a cost effectie platform and we are trying to make it more cost effectiive in these hard times and also make it more competitive. Whether on a 1000 or a 250, riding in close proximity with others and battling on every turn is fun! And we are currently trying to get sponsors/vendors to donate prizes for some type of contingency and raffle for each race.

So we are currently pushing through the board of directors for approval and it's looking really good and if we can get those sponsors onboard it will just be that much better.

So if you are interested, please let us know. I believe that AFM is also trying to reach out to some of the SoCal clubs to see how we can get reciprocosity licenses. Maybe not by Buttonwillow but we are trying.

And Blong, I don't know what you mean by Superbike suspension, but this class is pretty dang close. And to let you know, Brian Bartlow's Feel Like a Pro bikes are stock motors with LeoVince full exhaust only and we typically had 7 bikes in the top 10 in our 250 Prod races!

KazMan
AFM#110
email - ekkondo@yahoo.com

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #15
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

That sounds like a pretty good idea, check out how cvma is policing the engine work stuff. It's basically a dyno protest that if you lose, there's a money penalty. Effective strategy if the idea is cheap racing

Matt has been going to bat for me with the race directors to get afm reciprocity, since I'd like to race AFM some time.

Also what Brian means is that he wants his ninja with a gsxr front end to be legal in a 250 stock class because its the same price as paying racetech and you get better brake and tire options out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #16
blong
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Also what Brian means is that he wants his ninja with a gsxr front end to be legal in a 250 stock class because its the same price as paying racetech and you get better brake and tire options out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Word. Hayabusa front end to be specific.

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #17
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

I spoke to a lady with AFM yesterday and she told me that WSMC members could get a reciprocosity price of $70 for an AFM licence. That is a good price in my book. I also spoke to WERA, but they do not offer reciprocosity to any other clubs, $110 for a licence.

So i am planning to run CVMA next year and mix in some Buttonwillow and Willows Springs races.

Ideally, it would be great if there was a track organization that combined a series with multiple SoCal tracks: Chuckwalla, Fontana, Willow Springs (both tracks), and Buttonwillow. Run every track twice a year for the series!!!
Maybe AFM SoCal?? Or a new organization possibly?

Old October 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #18
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Awesome, glad to hear you'll be running with us at CVMA, its a really good org to race with.

As for the SoCal series, it would be awesome, and I know the CVMA guys wish they could do it, but the politics and work involved are huge to make it happen. From what I hear, the WSMC guys are very protective of their track and refuse to let other local series race on it. Buttonwillow is always strapped for weekends because its big with the auto guys, so they cater to SCCA and Redline Time Attack more than motos. Fontana is very expensive to run and also most weekends are taken with bigger professional events rather than club racing. It would be an uphill battle the whole way!

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #19
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

Unfortunately, it seems the powers that be at Willow Springs raceway are not even supporting WSMC. That is my assumption based on what we were told this weekend, that they requested dates at "Streets" for the 2012 season but that WSMC was denied access for their races.
I wonder if the car clubs got the track instead and/or if it was a situation that there was other organizations willing to pay more for the weekend.

I joined WSMC because they did have two tracks to add variety to the season, now that is not an option; so we will join other clubs to gain that variety for 2012. At least CVMA has a very inviting reciprocosity plan and a large grid of 250s which will be rewarding in terms of competition and possible contingency.

Old October 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Man thats lame to hear about WSMC... but good for CVMA for sure!

Our grid has been not so large this year, we've had a few dropouts, but its looking to be pretty big next year just from people I know that plan on racing! If all goes well we can have a close to 10 bike grid... which would rock. Hopefully you can come out sooner rather than later!

Old October 18th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #21
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Well if you guys are 10 strong in the grid, you should all try to come up for one of the races as we have been averaging 22-26 riders every 250 Prod race and about the same for the 250 Superbike, but the 250 Prod legal bikes of course can't touch the 2-smokers, but who's counting them. It's still our party!

But if you guys came up, then we would be 35 strong and if you stayed the whole weekend, you could get 5 races in!

Something to think about anyway.

Too bad about Willow Springs I raced there a lot when AFM ran Sears, Willow, Riverside and throw in a couple years at Laguna! There was some driving involved but oh so very worth it! But I guess times have changed

Anyway! Come race with us and maybe we can get a contingent to head that way!

Old October 18th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #22
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

Kazman, So AFM used to race all over Cali, not just the north? What happened? Politics and money greed? I was wondering why AFM didn't have a SoCal chapter to organize a series at these SoCal tracks.

Damn we need a series like that, too bad Thunderhill is such a long drive for us in the LA area, I would like to race there and at Infineon.

Wow, it is hard to imagine how cool it would be to have over twenty 250 riders on the grid every month!!!

Old October 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #23
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Kazman, So AFM used to race all over Cali, not just the north? What happened? Politics and money greed? I was wondering why AFM didn't have a SoCal chapter to organize a series at these SoCal tracks.

Damn we need a series like that, too bad Thunderhill is such a long drive for us in the LA area, I would like to race there and at Infineon.

Wow, it is hard to imagine how cool it would be to have over twenty 250 riders on the grid every month!!!
Yes, there used to be a North and a South Chapter. I don't know exactly what happened, but I believe in the 90's the South Chapter was disbanded. In fact one year, we even raced at Firebird Raceway in Chandler AZ as part of the AFM series.

And it's not too hard to imagine what it's like with 26 bikes on the grid. It's a little snug going into turn 2 at Infineon! (see attached picture).

I agree on the long drive to Thill but Infineon isn't as far and is a fantastic racetrack, but Thill is a lot like Willow Springs in that it is fun to ride fast, but if you unlock some secrets it's just that much faster!

Hope you guys can make it at least once next year. If enough of you come up, maybe we can throw a welcome bar-b-que on Saturday nite!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5544.jpg (113.3 KB, 8 views)

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #24
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Haha man that must make such a racket!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 18th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #25
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

My friend and I have talked about attending a race at Infinion. I have family in the area which makes the idea more inviting. So I'm planning on attending a race a Buttonwillow and hopefully Infineon. I need to see what can come together when ever the clubs release their 2012 schedules.

Old October 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #26
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Quote:
My friend and I have talked about attending a race at Infinion. I have family in the area which makes the idea more inviting. So I'm planning on attending a race a Buttonwillow and hopefully Infineon. I need to see what can come together when ever the clubs release their 2012 schedules.
Usually race 1 is at buttonwillow, another 250 friend and I plan on being there for sure, and I'd love to ride Sears Point too but that is budget/time constrained, though carpooling would make things easier!

Old October 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #27
KazMan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Usually race 1 is at buttonwillow, another 250 friend and I plan on being there for sure, and I'd love to ride Sears Point too but that is budget/time constrained, though carpooling would make things easier!
Well as the ad says...

We'll leave the lights on for ya!

Hope we can plan some 250 action for all of us next year. Perhaps the following year, we can work with all the race orgs and come up with some type of West Coast Championship SoCal, NorCal, Oregon and Washington!

We'll give you a little Sear Point action to make you think about it over winter

Link to original page on Vimeo.