ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #1
S.P.Rocket
Racer Girl

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 racebike, yz250f supermoto, crf150r supermoto, ktm 200 xcw, daytona 675

What were the deciding factors in your helmet choice?

I am curious to see what factors made you choose your helmet. What were your deciding factors? Did you do any research before you bought your helmet? My first helmet was an Arai. Yes Arai helmets are expensive, but I felt that this was head and I felt that spending more money on a helmet was a good idea. Pretty much it was between an Arai and Shoei helmet, the aria happened to fit me better.
S.P.Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I was looking for the most protective and most bang for my buck helmet. I ended up with this:

It was just shy of $100 with free shipping, DOT approved, proved in rider accident reviews, it got good ratings on webbikeworld.com and I like the styling. A great feature about this helmet is that it has tons of vents which makes it a little loud, but it's nice during summer; and the viewing area out the front of the helmet is huge. plus it has neato coolio led lights on the back for visibility, you can even link the lights to your brake light with a $30 part.

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
*Safety was most important with me. I only considered Snell or ECE rated helmets, or a DOT rated helmet from a major manufacturer. My concern is that not all DOT stickered helmets offer the same protection. DOT allows companies to self-certify, and less reputable brands cheat. Some companies put stickers on without ever testing, so I steered clear of ebay. For this reason (and not because of the theoretical quality of the DOT certification), I only looked for an ECE or Snell certification, or a big name brand DOT only helmet that I felt I could trust.

My personal preference was for a Snell 2010 rated helmet. Since the new certification standard in 2010, Snell has removed any concern you might read during your research about their standard being too hard/race focused and not as good for street riding as DOT or ECE. Snell 2010 now meets ECE and DOT guidelines, and Snell (unlike DOT) does extensive, independent, verified testing of helmets before they give out there standard.

*Fit is vital. I refused to buy online without trying stuff on. The Arai Profile, for example, won't fit the majority of heads -- it is for narrow heads. A more neutral fit would be the Arai Vector or Shoei RF1100, with the Arai Quantum for round heads. You have to try on helmets, probably with a knowledgeable salesperson to know what works for your head. I fell in love with the Kali Naza Carbon, for example, only to learn it was too round for me. The Shoei Quest and 1100 were great, as was the Arai Vector.

*Next, I thought about the color. Sounds like merely a fashion choice, but it's not. In this blog entry on gear colors, there is discussion of a study that concluded that compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk of accident. And wearing a generally light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk of accident. So buy a brightly colored or white helmet. I went with Kawasaki green and white on my Arai.

*I spent a lot of time on http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm, which has the best information on sizing, safety and reviews of helmets anywhere. Fantastic site, I wouldn't buy a helmet without checking with them and reading up on key safety information there.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #4
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Floyd! Again with the responses!

I was looking for a fairly budget helmet so I ended up with a Scorpion EXO-400 for ~$80 on closeout.

As a first helmet, I wanted to spend as little money as possible but still be safe. The extra features wasnt as important because I knew that I would be changing it out once I got used to riding. 2+ years later, I'm still rocking the same helmet. I've become a huge scorpion fan. They're cheap which makes them easy to replace, they have decent ventilation, a reasonably priced face shield, and most importantly are certified DOT/ECE/SNELL depending on model.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
hey floyd's helmet responses are always spot on though!!! props sir!

my concerns were in this order:
1) DOT + SNELL certification
2) fit.
3) price
4) color scheme

I tried on every helmet with a snell sticker at my local dealership, then out of the ones that fit right, I chose the cheapest in a cool paint scheme. It just so happens that the Scorpion EXO400 size small fits me PERFECTLY and is reasonably priced and had good reviews. Sometimes things just go my way
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
hey floyd's helmet responses are always spot on though!!! props sir!
Haha Not a negative comment at all. In another post I said that Floyd seems to have all these responses researched and pretyped. It would take a fair amount of effort and time to come up with responses like that.

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I know. I read that.

maybe floyd is just a super genius with incredible speed-typing skills and none of us know it!!...

*/off-topic from choneofakind*

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Option 1: Make a remark that could be interpreted as being unfriendly and simply refer an OP to another thread on topic.

Option 2: Be more friendly and welcoming, and go ahead and cut and paste your answer from another thread, making minor edits you wish you'd done the first time.

I go with option two. And I'm not just saying that because Sarah is a new female member who can get her knee down. Okay, well, maybe a little bit.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Other than what's already been mentioned about fit, safety, price, and colours, one big deciding factor for me was weight. I didn't want to feel like I was wearing a football helmet on my head. I ended up with a Shark RSI, which according to webbikeworld, belongs in the "featherweight company".
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #10
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Excellent post floyd.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

My glasses fitting in the helmet was a huge factor in my decision. I went with a Scorpion EXO 400.

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #12
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Because it looks badass.

Oh, and I guess it fit very nicely too. But mainly because it looks badass

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #13
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Think about it this way, "How much do I love my head and face"? I made sure I spent quality money on my first helmet. I don't mess around with gear, this is your life and well being at risk.

Ventilation, weight, comfort were key. And my Shoei X-11 has all of it, not to mention its a race helmet, only thing about this helmet being a race spec helmet, is the wind noise. Color wasn't an issue for me, went with metallic black with a Chrome gold shield. 475$ online with CompetitionAccessories.com I highly recommend them. They have closeout sales all the time. Got my helmet HALF PRICE! MSRP when this helmet came out was 800$ lime the new X-12 that's out.

This is your head at risk, you get what you pay for, pay for quality. Always worth it
J_Bahhtu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #14
NickNYC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): :(

I rode the first few month in a snowmobile helmet so...
Posted via Mobile Device
NickNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #15
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bahhtu View Post
This is your head at risk, you get what you pay for, pay for quality. Always worth it
Technically, as long as you're purchasing a reputable brand from a reputable dealer, the protection will be pretty much the same regardless of whether you pay $80 for a helmet or $800.

At the $800 point, you're not paying for better protection than the $80, you're paying for all the bells and whistles that make it a much more comfortable helmet.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #16
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

When I first bought my bike I got a scorpion exo-700 because it was on sale for $99 even though the fit wasn't that great (not really the right head shape for it so my cheeks feel like they are being mushed in). I finally pulled the trigger today and bought an Arai Vector 2 which was a HUUUUGE step up when I tried them on. Not only because it's the appropriate shape for my head so it fits perfectly (pads don't scrape across my cheeks anymore when I put the helmet on and I don't feel like I'm biting the inside of my cheeks while it's on), but even the material used for the padding feels so much softer. I can't wait for it to be delivered
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #17
setasai

I wish people would stop using the whole "how much is your head worth?" argument. You might make the newbies feel guilty for buying a budget priced helmet but as far as I'm concerned, it makes me wonder if you did your research at all.

There is nothing wrong with an expensive helmet but dont discount the protective ability of a value priced helmet with the right certifications.

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #18
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
2) fit.
3) price
4) color scheme

This... exactly this.

Maybe add a 5th for cost of replacement shields since I knew I'd want to get a smoked shield.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #19
GateKeeper
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja - Soon

Quote:
2) fit.
3) price
4) color scheme
same formula was used by me, and I got this

Quote:
Joe Rocket Ballistic

A.F.S.™ Advanced Fiberglass Shell
Snell M2010 Approved and Meets or Exceeds DOT Standards
Dry-Tech® Removable, Washable and Moisture Wicking Liner
Cross Link™ Variable Flow Ventilation System
LightSpeed™ Quick Change Shield Replacement System
Reflective Graphics
Clear Cut™ Optically Correct, Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fog and UV Resistant Face Shield
GateKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Meltoff
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Blue)

When I was looking for a helmet this first thing to consider was the DOT and SNELL certifications. After that it boiled down to finding something under $200 that fit my head shape and was well reviewed. I ended up with the Bell Vortex, and so far it is amazing. Fits my head very well, has some really nice features such as the magnetic chin strap keeper, and the lens could not be easier to change. My only regret is buying flat black...
Meltoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #21
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Price and reviews. When I was just starting i have no idea what to get, there were no people to help me out and educate me with DOT and SNELL and those stuff.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #22
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Just go by reference, stay in your price range and get the best bang for your buck

Love my Shoe X-11. Great ventilation, comfort, and visibility

only pic of my helmet

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #23
NickNYC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bahhtu View Post
Just go by reference, stay in your price range and get the best bang for your buck

Love my Shoe X-11. Great ventilation, comfort, and visibility

only pic of my helmet

I love the '12 green. Any exhaust set?
Posted via Mobile Device
NickNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #24
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Thank you! Yes sir I do :-) two brothers slip on for now, had the dealer throw it on for free when I got the bike. Didn't like the stock sound. Sounds good now, nice rumble in low rpms, top end sounds great too real happy with it

Old October 27th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #25
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

just my $.02... I started with an HJC something or other, wasn't really a fan. I picked up a scorpion exo-400 and wore it all this season. it was a comfortable and quiet, my only complaint was that airflow was kind of crappy. I got it for like $65 though, so all-in-all it was an excellent value.

Unfortunately, I had a nasty lowside a couple of days ago and my helmet is now retired permanently definitely recommended though. I basically landed and then slid on my face, and the helmet held up wonderfully. The visor held up without breaking despite absorbing the brunt of the initial impact, and I didn't have so much as a bruise anywhere on my face or head.

I've had several pieces of Scorpion equipment, and I think it's all been excellent quality for the price. Definitely one of my favorite gear brands.
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #26
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I'll be honest that I'm vaguely concerned about the quality of my helmet. I'm in a weird situation, though, because I have to wear a youth sized helmet.

I wore adult XS helmets with SNELL/DOT certifications for many years but they never quite fit right. My current helmet is an HJC youth that's DOT, not SNELL (as far as I can tell, no kids' helmets are SNELL certified).

A few years ago I got sick of the neck aches as well as the floppy fit and decided it was better to have a DOT-only helmet that actually fit correctly than a DOT/SNELL name brand that may not protect me in a crash. Thankfully I haven't had to prove that theory and, in the back of my mind, I keep hoping I made the right decision. I miss the nicer features of the adult sized helmets (ventilation, easy-on/off visors, the potential to wear flip-up helmets), but eh.

It doesn't hurt that the HJC youth is only $79.

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #27
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Well there are 3 main factors

1. You want to make sure the helmet strap is really ******
2. Any helmet that will fall off is key
3. Those that will shatter on impact help!

ahah just kidding.

If it's Dot approved and looks good!

Old October 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #28
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

It fit my head and my budget. It had features that I liked. It's DOT and Snell rated.

Shoei X-Twelve

I have a Shoei RF1000 in white as well..while I don't mind having an eggshell white helmet, I freaking hate having to constantly clean it.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #29
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

For me i go with

1. Weight. A heavy helmet is an unsafe helmet as neck strain affects your riding.

2. Ventilation. Hot and sweaty in a helmet sucks and again I feel it is unsafe

3. Graphics. It has to looks good and be apealing to the eye.

I did not put secondary ratings on my list as in all the testing it seems a dot vs a dot/snell rated has not been proven to be safer orbetter protection one way or the other. With that said I do look for a secondary rating and try and get ece rated and will get ece over snell any day of the week. Snells rating system and tests are fairly rubbish and useless. I prefer the ece as they are lot tested. Every production run of an ece helmet is tested. Snell is a one time test so there is a chance for shenanigans. As for dot helmets they are tested but in a diffrent way. Dot helmets are purchased from dealers and tested randomly.

There is an article on web bike world that goes over how all the helmets are tested.

I rock the speed and strength ss1000. It's 160 or so, weighs 3.25 lbs, is ece rated, vents great and has the best graphics at the price point. It's. Tad noisy but I ride with headphones or plugs so that is a non issue for me.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #30
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

My priority was to get one with racing stripes so it would make me faster!

Hasn't worked so far.....
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #31
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
Yeah I heard those racing stripes give you +5 hp boosts.

Old October 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #32
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Yeah I heard those racing stripes give you +5 hp boosts.
Right?! Now if I could just find some sponsor stickers, I might even make it up to 40 horses!

Mods this extreme probably aren't superstock legal though
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #33
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I wish people would stop using the whole "how much is your head worth?" argument. You might make the newbies feel guilty for buying a budget priced helmet but as far as I'm concerned, it makes me wonder if you did your research at all.

There is nothing wrong with an expensive helmet but dont discount the protective ability of a value priced helmet with the right certifications.
Didnt you know, If you buy a helmet on clearance, the protection value goes down? lol /sarcasm

I just want something that fits great, offers great ventilation at a great value. Often times, you will have to go through a couple of helmets to figure out what you like most. To me, AGV offers the best fitment so, thats what I buy.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #34
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I was looking for the most protective and most bang for my buck helmet. I ended up with this:

It was just shy of $100 with free shipping, DOT approved, proved in rider accident reviews, it got good ratings on webbikeworld.com and I like the styling. A great feature about this helmet is that it has tons of vents which makes it a little loud, but it's nice during summer; and the viewing area out the front of the helmet is huge. plus it has neato coolio led lights on the back for visibility, you can even link the lights to your brake light with a $30 part.
Revzilla?

I will be picking this up tomorrow, or at least ordering it. going to Cycle Gear, but they said the store doesnt price match just the website BOOOOOOOOOOO
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post

Hasn't worked so far.....
That's because everyone knows that even though those stripes add 5hp, FLAMES make you faster.

Old October 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #36
kaiserz

Quote:
that's because everyone knows that even though those stripes add 5hp, flames make you faster.
ha!! I knew it!! I should have gotten the flames instead d:

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #37
miss_connie
~08 ninja 250~

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250

I picked mine cause it's pink and has sparkles

shoei rf 1100 sylvan
miss_connie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #38
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Revzilla?

I will be picking this up tomorrow, or at least ordering it. going to Cycle Gear, but they said the store doesnt price match just the website BOOOOOOOOOOO
Yup, got it from revzilla.

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #39
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Safety & I liked the way it felt.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #40
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Yup, got it from revzilla.
Ill try one on at cycle gear then buy it off Revzilla Unless they wanna price match it.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote