ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old October 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Would Our Gear Protect Us From Zombies?

Alright. Ok. This is a weird question, but whatever.

I just finished watching Zombieland (btw, can't wait for Walking Dead to come out).

Would our gear be a good thing to wear in a zombie infested world? Our leathers would be nice since it has padding, so we can roll around and be protected from minor hits (tables while running through a restaurant). Do you think it'd help against their bite? Movement would be slightly restricted, depending on how tight/lose it is, but mine's fine. It's tight enough, but I can still dance in it.

And our helmets. That would be a nice protection from getting bitten on the neck, right?

Of course, you can't really play basketball with a helmet, but it's capable of 'running around trying to dodge zombies', right?
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I think it would be a good 1 or 2 bite protection. Zombies tend to have little issue ripping through most animals, so regardless of how tough the leather may be, they'd get through it with relative ease if they got a good lunge on you. It'd probably only buy you a few extra seconds at most. But a few extra seconds could be all you need to get out of the situation, so it'd definitely be better than nothing. A leatt brace might be a bit more effective in keep them away from your neck.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to rig up some chainmail, as it won't stretch or rip like leather, is extremely difficult to penetrate, and is still somewhat lightweight and movable.

Zombie Apocalypse=srs bsns
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
leather is just flesh... would probably be like eating the skin off a chicken wing before getting to the meat...

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

No, leather is a hardened skin that if done right can help protect against knives. But I don't think the leather in most motorcycle jackets is that hardened or thick, however if it has the armor built it that would be a big bonus.

Oddly enough they've proven that plate armor allows for more freedom of movement and has better weight distribution than chain. Just an interesting fact I thought I'd share.

Now what I would want is the shark suit. Basically it's chainmail, however it is designed to withstand shark bites which are way stronger than a human zombie's bite. They'll break their teeth while you laugh at them.

sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yeah but chain mail won't protect you from boomers or bile bombs...

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
yeah but chain mail won't protect you from boomers or bile bombs...

How about we stick with traditional zombies rather than ridiculous new-age supernatural supped up zombies.

Old October 10th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Perhaps if you wear kevlar? The interwoven kind with kevlar stitching too. If im right, kevlar is used in police bullet proof vests. Perhaps have a 1 piece race suite. But instead of a zipper stitch it up and wear it forever.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #8
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
Perhaps if you wear kevlar? The interwoven kind with kevlar stitching too. If im right, kevlar is used in police bullet proof vests. Perhaps have a 1 piece race suite. But instead of a zipper stitch it up and wear it forever.
Got news for ya.... kevlar doesn't work well against knives and other puncturing devices. Works great at stopping bullets but won't stop a knife or shiv. That's why the British Police force started experimenting with a combo vest of plates for knives and kevlar weave underneath for bullets. At least that's what I saw from a tech resource a few years ago. Not sure how it's developed since then.

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Mr.E
That rider dude.

I always thought they used it for knives too? I saw a video on youtube of someone stabbing something with a knife. I'd assume though, that the cloth would still be able to form to the knife, hence punctures. Oh well, it looks like I'll be the first to die from zombies lmao
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Your best bet is to have slow friends...
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Mr.E
That rider dude.

But after a while wouldnt you be the only one left? O.o lol

Old October 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Mythbusters! It's a good question. Hahaha. I've often thought about this and I think that some leather jackets are thick enough to withstand some zombie bites. Zombie bites arent particularly strong like a mechanical jaw or anything. It still uses human muscles so if you assume that their strength is about the strongest crazed drug addict trying to chew your head off, I think leather would be decently sufficient until they find a patch of skin. Its not like you're going to stand there and get chomped on. We're talking about emergency protection like if you had to run through a crowd to get to the safehouse.

On the same note, where would be your first place to run to? I nominate some kind of hunter/sports store for weapons and then a fortified costco. I imagine I would feel comfortable enough to sleep on one of the top shelves assuming zombies probably cant climb if they were to break into the building.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #13
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

The simple answer is that zombies are only human, with human teeth. So unless you think you can bite through a leather jacket, you're probably safe. Now what might complicate it is if the zombies have any kind of super human strength, which seems to be pretty common.

Where to go?

Old October 11th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #14
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Or here. This place is incredible.

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/04/fi...roof-house.php

Old October 11th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
At the very least, you would not get road rash when you trip while running away.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #16
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Try getting this dainese ebay knock-offs http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dainese-Repl...item905baeb3fc

They work against terra nova dinosaurs, why not zombies?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 12:33 PM   #17
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
At the very least, you would not get road rash when you trip while running away.
well, that's a relief.
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote