ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Riding jeans

So, I don't think these get as much attention as they probably deserve. I know many people are AGATT, but some (I'm gonna guess most) are SGATT. And this is where riding jeans come in.

What are good ones? What are things to look for? (600 vs 1000) Anybody have any favorites?

This is something I very little about and do want to increase my knowledge in. Hopefully when I get a few more $$ buy a pair...

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
So, I don't think these get as much attention as they probably deserve. I know many people are AGATT, but some (I'm gonna guess most) are SGATT. And this is where riding jeans come in.

What are good ones? What are things to look for? (600 vs 1000) Anybody have any favorites?

This is something I very little about and do want to increase my knowledge in. Hopefully when I get a few more $$ buy a pair...
I have a pair of shift torque jeans and I love them. They are low rise and they fit me like a normal pair of jeans so they are great. Just because you use riding jeans doesn't mean you can't be an ATGATT guy/gal (I am)!

What I love about these jeans is there is plenty of room for knee/shin guards. Along with my jeans I always wear my shift enforcer knee/shin guards for extra protection...basically like a pair of armored pants!

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
I have a pair of shift torque jeans and I love them. They are low rise and they fit me like a normal pair of jeans so they are great. Just because you use riding jeans doesn't mean you can't be an ATGATT guy/gal (I am)!

What I love about these jeans is there is plenty of room for knee/shin guards. Along with my jeans I always wear my shift enforcer knee/shin guards for extra protection...basically like a pair of armored pants!
I've been looking for a good pair of riding jeans as well. What are these jeans made of? How are you protected? Thanks for the info
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #4
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
I've been looking for a good pair of riding jeans as well. What are these jeans made of? How are you protected? Thanks for the info
Here is some manufactures info from revzilla on the jeans.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...g-torque-jeans

As for protection there is no built in armor in the jeans, except the kevlar reinforcement makes impact areas such as the knees feel more protected. In the event of any crash tho these would just save you from abrasions, not broken bones. However if paired with some knee/shin armor I think they are a very good looking and functional alternative to more expensive riding pants.

Like I said I use shift enforcer knee/shin guards to supplement the jeans (they are like $12 and fit very well!) and when riding I feel adequately protected.

Personally I think these feel great, and they have the feel/weight of a heavy duty motorcycle jean that seem like they could take a beating.

Here is a very helpful/in-depth review of these jeans.

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.c...t-jeans-review

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I just picked up a pair of 1000 denier jeans from Motoport based on a recommendation from kaiserz in this thread http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77640

There is a five week lead time on the jeans since they are custom made, I had to send in a pair of jean, marked per Motoports instructions so they knew where to sew the armor in at the knees, i can't give you any type of review on them yet.

http://www.motoport.com/_product_106...an_1000_Denier

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #6
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
i can't give you any type of review on them yet.

http://www.motoport.com/_product_106...an_1000_Denier
Please. When you do get them, update this thread with a review.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM   #7
mishka
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Motorcycle Jeans

I was debating of buying motorcycle jeans.

These:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...g-torque-jeans

I have these:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_pants.html

Would the jeans provide more or less protection? Did I waste my money on the mesh pants? Would I waste money on the jeans? I know denim is a no no and the sticky seems to only address plain denim. I'm spooked about getting in an accident and want to make sure I have adequate protection but I need something practical for school/work. I've also read some people use knee and elbow guards. Any suggestions for those? How practical are they? How about chest armor? Basically, if I'm not wearing leather, what can I wear to up my protection?
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM   #8
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I believe the mesh pants on your link doesn't have any CE rated armor in it, it only has eva foam for protection, I would also suggest that you get knee armor/protector and a good jacket with armor in it. you know why? because broken bones and road rash sucks and costs a lot of $.

If you're planning on using your bike as your commuter I would suggest that you get this http://www.teizms.com/mojave-mesh-on...bnaakhldi4t5v0

And how about chest armor? I would say if you can get them, then please do so, cause I'm pretty sure if I didn't had any before when I had my mishap I wont be typing this right now.

Ride safe and ATGATT please
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:13 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
A vote for Teiz here. Inexpensive, great protection and easy for commuter use. I have the Teiz Mojave and wear it almost every day for my commute. Very safe, very comfortable, and faster to put on/take off than strapping on shin guards. Mesh overpants also work decently for commuter purposes if you get a pair with CE armor in them and 1000D in the knees and seat. Also very easy to get on and off with work clothes on underneath.

The jeans aren't a terrible idea, but you will need some armor underneath to make them protective. Kevlar does well as an abrasion blocker, but doesn't stop broken bones that may happen in higher speed getoffs and bruises that happen on lower speed ones. (Ask me how I know. ) And having tried jeans with strap on armor . . . is was a waste of money, really, and I don't really wear them anymore now that I have overpants and a one-piece. The armor never really gets as comfortable or as easy to put on as overpants or a one piece suit.

If you want a pant that it both very protective, not bulky like an overpant, doesn't need storage space at work like a one-piece suit, and is stylish enough to wear at work, take a look at the BMW City 2 pant.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
kaiserz

I really like the mojave, it's versatile and for me is a no BS concept, you can put it on/take it off in under 5 - 10 mins? and you're protected. And I saw a video on youtube before, about a guy demonstrating how fast you can get on/off your one piece commuter suit, then he stuck it in the back of the motorcycle for storage, (I don't know what exact name but its basically the rear shock area, on the tires, under the rear fairings).

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHTQisEl2Q to prevent http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=105585

Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM   #11
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
I really like the mojave, it's versatile and for me is a no BS concept, you can put it on/take it off in under 5 - 10 mins? and you're protected. And I saw a video on youtube before, about a guy demonstrating how fast you can get on/off your one piece commuter suit, then he stuck it in the back of the motorcycle for storage, (I don't know what exact name but its basically the rear shock area, on the tires, under the rear fairings).

also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHTQisEl2Q to prevent http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=105585
Nice pics.....

ATGATT even when it's hot out or "I'm going for a short ride"
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM   #12
mishka
ninjette.org member

I think I'm almost sold on the BMW denim. The only place I can find them is at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...S2M6F2X0RJS386

is $295 about right? Where else can I find them? Should I purchase under armor like the Icon Stryker stuff in addition to the BMW pants?

Right now I'm wearing an Icon Hooligan 2 mesh jacket. Would it be wise to invest in a chest and elbow armor and just take out the current pads to make room? I'm waiting for boots to come in to a local CycleGear store (wearing work boots at the time being), wearing those mesh pants and some gloves from CycleGear that I want to replace. Anytime I ride I wear the most protection I have available.

How do you guys buy gloves online without trying them on first? Anytime I go to a store, the wraps around my wrist at too big but the fingers are just right for my hand. Some brands I need an XXXL just to get my fingers comfy but then I cant wrap it around my wrist properly.

Thanks for the help!

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM   #13
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
I think I'm almost sold on the BMW denim. The only place I can find them is at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...S2M6F2X0RJS386

is $295 about right? Where else can I find them? Should I purchase under armor like the Icon Stryker stuff in addition to the BMW pants?

Right now I'm wearing an Icon Hooligan 2 mesh jacket. Would it be wise to invest in a chest and elbow armor and just take out the current pads to make room? I'm waiting for boots to come in to a local CycleGear store (wearing work boots at the time being), wearing those mesh pants and some gloves from CycleGear that I want to replace. Anytime I ride I wear the most protection I have available.

How do you guys buy gloves online without trying them on first? Anytime I go to a store, the wraps around my wrist at too big but the fingers are just right for my hand. Some brands I need an XXXL just to get my fingers comfy but then I cant wrap it around my wrist properly.

Thanks for the help!
You can get the BMW pants at most BMW dealers, including some that have an online presence, like AS Cycles. They are $255 from BMW. No need to buy armor to wear underneath, it comes with CE rated armor built in, with a very nice fit.

I personally don't ride with chest protection (heck, the pros don't), and wouldn't think an upgrade of elbow pads worthwhile. You've already got CE rated pads. Back is where most people upgrade stock armor first, because jackets don't usually come with certified protectors there, and risks are higher than in chest area. You'll need the CEII standard for back armor - take a look at the SAS-TEC back protector for a relatively inexpensive, protective option.

On glove fit, there are no easy answers except to buy online from a company with a good return policy or try gloves on in the store. Different gloves have different fits, too, so you can't just say "I'm a large" and call it good. Joe Rocket gloves run big, for example (I'm a medium) and Held gloves a bit small (I'm a large). And some have longer fingers, shorter fingers, etc. You just have to know your brands and do trial and error.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM   #14
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
I really like the mojave, it's versatile and for me is a no BS concept, you can put it on/take it off in under 5 - 10 mins?
I'm in the suit in 10-15 seconds tops. Step in right leg, put right arm in, put left arm in, zip from left ankle to neck. Done. WAAYY quicker than it takes me to put shin guards under pants.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #15
mishka
ninjette.org member

Hmm, the ones you linked are not denim. Is there a difference between the ones you linked and denim as far as protection or is it just a styling preference? Since I'm up in this price range, would the Motoport pants be similar in protection?

Thanks for the back armor suggestion, I'll see if it fits my jacket.

Any suggestions for gloves?

Edit: Checked out the Mojave a bit more. does it include all the padding and armor?

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #16
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Hmm, the ones you linked are not denim. Is there a difference between the ones you linked and denim as far as protection or is it just a styling preference? Since I'm up in this price range, would the Motoport pants be similar in protection?

Thanks for the back armor suggestion, I'll see if it fits my jacket.

Any suggestions for gloves?

Edit: Checked out the Mojave a bit more. does it include all the padding and armor?
Exact same as denim. Just different colors, really.

Motoport are great quality, among most protective pants out there, definitely worth consideration. I just like the BMW styling better, but that really should be a secondary consideration.

For gloves, depends what you are looking for. For summer riding, I like the Held Airstreams. Ceramic superfabric protection is very good. Also a shortish, thick finger build on those that sounds like might fit your hand size. The REV'IT Monster gloves are also very well reviewed and I liked them when I tried them on. I'm told after break in, they are among most comfortable out there. There are also some VERY protective gloves available, like a Knox Handroid, but those are REALLY expensive.

Mojave includes everything. One of the good things about Teiz vs. Motorport or Aerostich -- very simple to order, it all comes included. 1680D abrasion and good quality CE armor already included.

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #17
mishka
ninjette.org member

The Handroids are sick. I am going to buy them when I get money. I ordered Sidi ST boots to replace my regular boots. I'm going to get the BMW denim pants in a couple of weeks and hope they breathe well.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #18
2.5LGT
ninjette.org member

Name: Gao

Motorcycle(s): 05 xz6r 636, 10' Ninja 250R SE Green (sold)

I ordered a pair of the BMW City Pant, my local BMW Motorrad was out of the Large in Gray so they ordered it for me should be here mid week.

The pants are really good quality, NP armor (BMW proprietary stuff) covers down to my shin, however the hip armor could be a little bigger. The NP armor is very similar material to my SAS back protector, probably exceeds CE 1. Price is $255 retail, but i asked nicely if there was a discount available and they gladly took 15% off
2.5LGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #19
kaiserz

I think the handroid is gonna be a great buy. After having my first "off the bike" experience, I would never compensate on my protection again (:

Old July 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #20
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

For what it's worth I have the shift torque jeans and I wear knox cross knee/shin guards. It works well for commuting to school but I like my scorpion Deuce overpants as well. Overpants tend to have mobile armor that can shift out of place if they arent snug fitting.

In my opinion, I am happy I have both options just in case. If i were going to dinner, I like jeans with armor that I can store in my sidecases. I tend not to wear jeans under overpants because it get's snug, hot, and uncomfortable. I do however like mesh overpants in hot weather because I can wear athletic shorts under so it ends up being much much cooler.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM   #21
Pete22x
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE GREEN 250

I have a pair of shift torques, and they don't really offer any impact protection whatsoever, but they look great and are super comfortable. I usually wear armored shorts and knee/chin protection underneath. I guess depending on your body type (i'm pretty skinny), the torque's should hide the knee protection comfortably.

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM   #22
Art Vandelay
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): '07

I am returning my torques. I like them but they run short.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM   #23
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I ride in my boxer briefs
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 08:26 AM   #24
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Curious..Dug this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
A vote for Teiz here. Inexpensive, great protection and easy for commuter use. I have the Teiz Mojave and wear it almost every day for my commute. Very safe, very comfortable, and faster to put on/take off than strapping on shin guards. Mesh overpants also work decently for commuter purposes if you get a pair with CE armor in them and 1000D in the knees and seat. Also very easy to get on and off with work clothes on underneath.

The jeans aren't a terrible idea, but you will need some armor underneath to make them protective. Kevlar does well as an abrasion blocker, but doesn't stop broken bones that may happen in higher speed getoffs and bruises that happen on lower speed ones. (Ask me how I know. ) And having tried jeans with strap on armor . . . is was a waste of money, really, and I don't really wear them anymore now that I have overpants and a one-piece. The armor never really gets as comfortable or as easy to put on as overpants or a one piece suit.

If you want a pant that it both very protective, not bulky like an overpant, doesn't need storage space at work like a one-piece suit, and is stylish enough to wear at work, take a look at the BMW City 2 pant.
Do you have the BMW City 2 pant? I was looking into another pant option and found a great deal on one. I am hating the strap on knee pad under jeans that I'm running right now...One of the question I had was in regard to bleeding and fit. I heard they bleed easily (which doesn't bother me for a black bike) but I have white sidi boots and was curious if they do any kind of dry-bleeding through rubbing. A simple solution is to wash several times but I wanted to know if this was effective
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #25
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I've never pulled the trigger on the BMW pant. I've come VERY close several times, finger over the button ready to push "Buy". But I chicken out over combination of lack of real need (I've got four pairs of various motorcycle pants) and the hefty price tag. I will cave in soon, though, love those pants.

So, sorry, no input on the bleeding color issue.

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #26
tazz
ninjette.org member

Name: Gaurav

Motorcycle(s): (2011)Ninja 250r,(2008)Yamaha yzf-R15

These are my riding jeans http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothi...blue-wave.html
tazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #27
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Just ordered a pair

Quote:
I've never pulled the trigger on the BMW pant. I've come VERY close several times, finger over the button ready to push "Buy". But I chicken out over combination of lack of real need (I've got four pairs of various motorcycle pants) and the hefty price tag. I will cave in soon, though, love those pants.

So, sorry, no input on the bleeding color issue.
I ordered a pair of the denims and may get another pair (non-denim) if it works out...

Will chime in when I get em

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #28
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Just received the BMW City 2 Pants Denim

For a discounted price of $189.00 delivered to the door for free, I received my first pair of rider denims... I pulled on the BMW City 2 denims mentioned earlier (thanks gfloyd2002)..The result?

I'm impressed...

The jeans have removable armor at the knees and hips. Very adjustable as the pant size is generally euro-cut for a 6'2er with 34/34 inseam

Weight: Relatively light compared with my leisure jeans. For the past couple of months, I have worn rider shorts, Alpine mx knee pads underneath my regular denim jeans (akward, I know). The combination is much lighter for the BMW city 2 denims as they are not only lighter but possibly more fitted for impact. The City 2 pants also have an adjustable nylon belt with clips (+1).

Size: I ordered a large. The pants fit just right but are slightly long. to My stats - ~ 5'8" 180lbs, ~33.5 waist, ~30.5 inseam, lean athletic built, bigger trunk (generally).

Fit: Would post a picture of the armor for everyone if I had time but it description, appears to be a high-quality mold. The moldings provide some wrap-around knee protection (covering lateral areas) and provide shin protection. The moldings are suppose to adjust with body temperature and wrap around protected areas. Will comment on the heat-molding as time goes on...

Protection: I estimate with 3/4 riding boots, you get a full, suitable amount of protection with the combination. Hip protection is side-impact covering a little less than 1/2 of the outer hamstring.

Quality: Deep indigo blue denims that will bleed if wet or if lighter materials rub together is possible. Probably need to wash a few times. They do not look like motorcycle riding jeans. Definitely European cut so they will be slightly snug. These seem to be perfect for Spring, Fall, although they may be a bit hot in the summer (estimation).

Old November 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #29
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
@hybridkid -- Nice price. Is that deal still on? I may not be able to restrain my trigger finger any longer . . .

Old November 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #30
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Yep

Quote:
@hybridkid -- Nice price. Is that deal still on? I may not be able to restrain my trigger finger any longer . . .
http://www.gatewaybmw.com/ -> They have plenty in stock and the deal has been on since June of this year I believe

Old November 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #31
2.5LGT
ninjette.org member

I grabbed a pair from my local BMW store back in July. (I fell in love with the S1000rr ) I have some experience wearing these in the summer months. IMO they are not that bad, its does get warm but not uncomfortably so. A lot more casual than leather pants and more protection than jeans = winnner .

Here is a picture of me on the baby ninja . Disclaimer: I wear ATTGTT (even in 100F) and this picture was on my street, going less than 15 mph.

[/url]

Looks good IMHO

Old November 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #32
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5LGT View Post
I grabbed a pair from my local BMW store back in July. (I fell in love with the S1000rr ) I have some experience wearing these in the summer months. IMO they are not that bad, its does get warm but not uncomfortably so. A lot more casual than leather pants and more protection than jeans = winnner .

Here is a picture of me on the baby ninja . Disclaimer: I wear ATTGTT (even in 100F) and this picture was on my street, going less than 15 mph.

[/url]

Looks good IMHO
Are those the denims? I didn't know they had them in black. Seen them in beige

S1000rr... I'll be dreaming for awhile

Old November 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #33
2.5LGT
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridkid View Post
Are those the denims? I didn't know they had them in black. Seen them in beige

S1000rr... I'll be dreaming for awhile
Nope, I think bmw calls it anthracite, looks gray

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #34
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Just saw these on revzilla. They're not out yet but they do look promising.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...1-kevlar-jeans

Seems similar to the BMW pants, kevlar reinforced and if I'm reading the description right, actual armor as well.
TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #35
setasai

At that price i'd go with motorport cordura 1000D street jean style pants. Atleast it will be fitted correctly and protective.

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #36
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTopher View Post
Just saw these on revzilla. They're not out yet but they do look promising.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...1-kevlar-jeans

Seems similar to the BMW pants, kevlar reinforced and if I'm reading the description right, actual armor as well.
I actually like those, but I really wish they would have kept the contrast stitching to a minimum.

Definitely liking the BMW jeans.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #37
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Riding Jeans

In the market for some riding jeans and knee armour myself. I'd wear my full boots under the jeans, but am looking for recommendations on which jeans and which knee armour would work well with full length riding boots. I would probably end up with female jeans for the fit, so I'd guess I'd use knee guards worn on the outside for that, unless anybody knows of knee guards/armour that would fit underneath women cut riding jeans.

Lastly, are there any jeans that are fully lined with kevlar instead of just at the impact points?
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with a couple existing "riding jeans" threads.

Here are a few that I left separate:

'09 Shift Torque Street Jean

Sartso riding jeans

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #39
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
In the market for some riding jeans and knee armour myself. I'd wear my full boots under the jeans, but am looking for recommendations on which jeans and which knee armour would work well with full length riding boots. I would probably end up with female jeans for the fit, so I'd guess I'd use knee guards worn on the outside for that, unless anybody knows of knee guards/armour that would fit underneath women cut riding jeans.

Lastly, are there any jeans that are fully lined with kevlar instead of just at the impact points?
I have Shift Lowdown jeans, and they are very comfortable. I wear Icon Field Armor knee pads underneath. I would NOT recommend that combination. First of all, wearing knee pads under jeans is cumbersome and HOT. But the Icon product isn't really a very good product -- hard to walk in, not super comfortable. Takes a while to get on, and at its best it is still hot and sweaty and hard to move around in.

I would recommend an overpant instead. More breathable - even over jeans - than wearing a kneepad. Just stuff the overpants in a backpack when you get where you go. Lots of good choices for overpants. I wear REV'IT turbine pants and also own Joe Rocket Phoenix overpants. Both better than the knee armor option - more comfortable, quicker to put on. And while not ideal when you get to where you are going, no more awkward than the Icon knee armor, which is wierd to walk in anyway.

If you are set on knee armor instead of overpants, take a look at Forcefield Limb Tubes. Looks much more comfortable to walk around in than the Icon stuff. And the company has a very good reputation for safety. Reviews say easy to keep on underneath and walk around.

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #40
setasai

Quote:
I have Shift Lowdown jeans, and they are very comfortable. I wear Icon Field Armor knee pads underneath.

I would recommend an overpant instead. More breathable - even over jeans - than wearing a kneepad.
I have the Shift Torque jeans and concur. They are very comfortable. I wear knox cross knee guards (long version) and find them to be a very similar experience. Not necessarily uncomfortable but definitely on the sweaty warmer side of things. Fantastic for the winter though, totally keeps my knees warm from windchill.

For versatility, mesh overpants are the way to go. If you really want to wear jeans though, I think motoport cordura 1000D armored street jeans are hard to beat. Armored, breathes well, and custom made to fit.

Overpants or jeans w/ knee armor will run you anywhere from $100-150+ anyways. Motoport street jeans are around $200-$240 but are designed to be more tear resistant and protective than either overpants or denim jeans. Sounds like a lot but your jacket is more than likely more than $200, no reason to skimp on pants if you have the funds.