ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

What brand of race fairings do you have?

Due to a recent lowside I'm searching around for new fairings. Only brand I know of right now is "Hotbodies". Noticed they don't have the fairings pre-drilled.

Q: Are there race fairings out there that are already pre-drilled?

Feedback would be much appreciated to help me make my upcoming purchase
J_Bahhtu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Fiberglass fairings are usualy not pre drilled. It is easy to do.
I use Air tech because they don't have mirror bumps up front. Catalyst Composites make vrey high quality products also.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #3
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Sharkskinz.
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #4
dustoff
covered in awesome sauce

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r racebike, 09 Triumph Street Triple R

Hotbodies - $390
http://www.hotmotostore.com/Hotbodie...-Set_p_17.html
dustoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #5
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Thoughts on hotbodies?

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #6
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

I have Hotbodies. Inexpensive, appear to hold up OK after crash testing both sides. Fitment OK. We did reinforce some of the mounting holes just to be safe, but no issues.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

If you're intent is to use race fairings on the street (which is what you're first post kind of sounds like to me anyways), just know that you'll also need to cut quite a few holes and make a number of modifications in addition to drilling the mounting points in order to have lights, mirrors, signals, and a license plate.

But assuming that's not the case, my hotbodies set took some wrestling and patience to get it to fit properly, and the belly pan doesn't account for the exhaust pipe or the kickstand mount so if you haven't grinded off the mount, it requires a little dremeling and a lot of guessing and checking, but the quality seems pretty decent, they're incredibly light, and it's hard to beat $550 for two full sets (especially being you're in Socal and can pick it up direct from headquarters without paying the shipping). I haven't crashed mine yet, but I hear they generally hold up well enough to make it worth saving a few bucks over the high end stuff like Attack or Shark Skinz.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #8
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
If you're intent is to use race fairings on the street (which is what you're first post kind of sounds like to me anyways), just know that you'll also need to cut quite a few holes and make a number of modifications in addition to drilling the mounting points in order to have lights, mirrors, signals, and a license plate.

But assuming that's not the case, my hotbodies set took some wrestling and patience to get it to fit properly, and the belly pan doesn't account for the exhaust pipe or the kickstand mount so if you haven't grinded off the mount, it requires a little dremeling and a lot of guessing and checking, but the quality seems pretty decent, they're incredibly light, and it's hard to beat $550 for two full sets (especially being you're in Socal and can pick it up direct from headquarters without paying the shipping). I haven't crashed mine yet, but I hear they generally hold up well enough to make it worth saving a few bucks over the high end stuff like Attack or Shark Skinz.
I was bouncing around on what to do to repair the damage. Using a set of Hotbodies fairings for the street was an option, and I have considered the needed drilling to make it work, along with the headlight in the front, I was considering a dual projector fitting. Now, for the practicality aspect of it all, a pre-drilled set of fairings for the street will be the first step, then a separate set for the track.

Original plan, set up the bike for the track now and focus on riding on the track for a while, but due to my lack of experience still being a new rider, just need to focus on basic skills before jumping ahead. Take some courses and acquire more bike skills.

Conclusion: get the bike street ready again

Old October 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bahhtu View Post
Original plan, set up the bike for the track now and focus on riding on the track for a while, but due to my lack of experience still being a new rider, just need to focus on basic skills before jumping ahead. Take some courses and acquire more bike skills.

Conclusion: get the bike street ready again
Set it up for the track and do a school. Two birds, one stone.
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #10
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS73 View Post
Set it up for the track and do a school. Two birds, one stone.
That was a thought too

Old October 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
esi7esi7

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 09 ZX6R

Attack has held up well for me, and mounted right up without any problems. Recently put on Hotbodies. It doesn't "feel" as good as Attack, but mounted up fairly well so I can't complain.

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #12
cord4530
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09 F650GS, 09 690SMC, 08 Ninja 250R, 07 950SM-R, 07 DR650, 05 YZF-R6, 2x 07 BV250, 2x 79 Hobbit

I have Hotbodies on my non-ninja track bike. They are popular since they're inexpensive. But a lot of people complain that they don't fit well, and some models don't crash that well. Mine certainly has the paint cracking problem that many of them are prone to.

Other options to consider that haven't been mentioned in this thread are:
Armor Bodies (Woodcraft). All of these I've seen I have been really impressed with. They are very thin and light, but fit great and crash very well. The downside is that they're quite expensive.
Catalyst Composites. I just bought a set of these for my race ninja. I don't have them in-hand yet, and I haven't inspected any others in person. From what I read on forums they should be okay.

You probably don't have the time to wait, but I noticed that Tyga Performance has some incredible prices on OEM Ninja 250R parts....including OEM fairings. It may take the better part of a month for them to arrive, but I think each side was ~$120 and the headlight fairing was ~$80. Tail fairing halves were ~$25. Depending on what you broke, it may be cheaper to go OEM (pre-painted, and perfect fitment).

Let us know if you find any other options too.
-Dan
cord4530 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Jiggyfly
ninjette.org member

Name: Shon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

Hotbodies here..... They seem decent enough. I read reviews and armourbodies seem to get the nod for strength, but I think they were close to $300 MORE than the HB.
Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #14
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

I've started doing more research on this topic, and I'm taking into consideration the fitting of the hotbodies. I'd rather spend a little more for less headaches and more results. I don't want to be running on the track with stock fairings and end doing more damage, need to invest in a solid set if race fairings.

In addition to this thread, I've put on my racing rearsets by Vortex today, my Bridgestone bt-003's come in next week. She's almost ready for her first track day

Old November 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #15
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

I started off with a $800 set of Attacks, but after crashing them into oblivion, have switched to Hotbodies. I've been through several sets and have been happy with the finish and fitment. To me, they're disposable: it costs more to repair and repaint usually, so easiest to just throw em away and replace with a new set.

Old November 10th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #16
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Richard, when the time comes to get my new race fairings, could I pay you to do the fitting on my bike?

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #17
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Justin, I'd love to help, but I'm not in SoCal much these days...

Contact Tige at Cyclemall. He does great work and is very reasonable. Hope that helps!

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #18
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Awesome thanks for reference!

Old November 11th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #19
Bueller999
Oldie but a goodie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 650r, 06 SV 650 race, 08 250r race, 03 Buell XB9s, 01 KTM 300 EXC

Sharkskinz are awesome but a little spendy. I picked up a brand new set last year about Dec. for $350 shipped off of eBay. That was a lucky deal but man do I like 'em.

ABRacing
Bueller999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #20
Order
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (race), 01 Ninja ZX6R (race), 00 Ninja ZX6R (street), 03 R6 (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Bahhtu View Post
Thoughts on hotbodies?
I bought a set of Hotbodies and re-sold once I realized I got what I paid for (they were cheap!)

I bought a set of Flexi-Glass from Trevor. Give him a call @ 604-644-9395. The bodywork is top notch, and if you need serious repairs he can put your bodywork back in the mold if you don't want to fix it yourself.
Order is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #21
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order View Post
I bought a set of Hotbodies and re-sold once I realized I got what I paid for (they were cheap!)

I bought a set of Flexi-Glass from Trevor. Give him a call @ 604-644-9395. The bodywork is top notch, and if you need serious repairs he can put your bodywork back in the mold if you don't want to fix it yourself.
What's the pricing? Don't see it on their website.

Also, let's see pics of the bodywork.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM   #22
smokinsingle
L8APEX

Name: CRA#33 EXPERT

Motorcycle(s): 07 KTM 950SMR, 06 KTM 450SMR, 99 KTM 300MXC, 00 Derbi GPR 50, 09 Ninja 250 racebike, race with www.cra-mn.org!

Armour Bodies from Woodcraft is really nice stuff! Two types to choose from
https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bi...&key=71-0130SS Pro Series $650
https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bi...&key=70-0130SS Signature Series $850

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM   #23
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Why is the signature series more expensive?

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM   #24
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

^ Nemesis - if you are interested, there is a current promotion on hotbodies. (2 for 1 deal). I pm'ed you with specific info.
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM   #25
smokinsingle
L8APEX

Name: CRA#33 EXPERT

Motorcycle(s): 07 KTM 950SMR, 06 KTM 450SMR, 99 KTM 300MXC, 00 Derbi GPR 50, 09 Ninja 250 racebike, race with www.cra-mn.org!

From Woodcraft website:

When Armour Bodies decided to reintroduce the Signature Series in 2010 we were determined to make the toughest, most flexible bodywork in the industry. We took our award winning Signature Series and improved it in every way imaginable. Signature Series Elite is completely redesigned applying everything we learned from years of R&D. No other bodywork will fit, paint or withstand a crash like this.

New Signature Elite Features:

-Unparalleled strength and durability thanks to carbon-kevlar reinforcements in all mounting areas.

-Special resins that remain extremely flexible when cured give this bodywork flexibility never seen before.

-Premium primer that was specifically developed for flexible composites. This primer soaks up paint and resists spider cracking when flexed.

-All edges are reinforced with kevlar to fight cracking when impacted.

-Ultra light weight.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:42 PM   #26
Order
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (race), 01 Ninja ZX6R (race), 00 Ninja ZX6R (street), 03 R6 (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
What's the pricing? Don't see it on their website.

Also, let's see pics of the bodywork.
Here is an action shot of the bodywork, keep in mind I lined the bike with truck bedliner similiar to Rhino lining.

As for their pricing, he gives racer discounts. I know plenty of club racers who use their bodywork and I've never heard anything bad about them. If you want super cheap Hotbodies is your best bet, but you're not going to get anywhere close to top notch quality. I was also super happy with how well this bodywork fit on the bike, and all mounting points were reinforced.

The only bodywork I've buy would be from one of three; Flexi-Glass, Armour Bodies and Sharkskinz. I'm sure there are other good brands, but I've had great experiences with all 3 of those. Flexi-Glass is by far the small company around, but their stuff is top notch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 313750_2386893242370_1551968819_2504025_2098032828_n.jpg (68.9 KB, 38 views)
Order is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM   #27
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Oooo...I really like but too damn pricey!

Old November 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #28
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Order, what kind of bodywork is that in your avatar pic?

Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM   #29
samw
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2005 HON CBR1000RR Repsol, 2012 KAW Ninja 250R

I use Sharkskinz.
samw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:58 AM   #30
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

bump, I would like to hear more feedback on the race fairings for a 250.
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 11:31 PM   #31
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

Just ordered a set of the Hotbodies. I will report when I get them. Ordered them because I am racing the 250 to do some inexpensive racing. For what I saved instead of ordering the $850 body kit I got sintered brake pads, K&N filter, jet kit, slip on silencer and almost enough to buy rearsets left over.
In my mind I am thinking 1. The bike IS going to be crashed at some point...2. Fiberglass repair is honestly not all that hard to do. 3. I can buy 2 sets of Hotbodies for less than what most of the single sets are costing.

Now, not everyone is racing on a budget and props to them for dropping the dough on their race bike. I'd rather spend the bucks on bits for my Ducati unless they make a notable difference.
jasle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #32
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Some people tend to go down on the track, some don't. I'm not much of a crasher, but still manage to fall once a year or so. I look at bodywork as a disposable item, since 90% of my crashes result in the body being written off. I'm out west, and we tend to have rocks that tear through the fiberglass. For that reason, I use the Hotbodies stuff and just plan on replacing it when I go down. Cheaper the better

Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #33
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

I like air-tech, ordered them before christmas, will be here next week. Will have pics shortly thereafter.

Why I like air-tech:

1. Not plastic, fiberglass. Can be fixed.

2. Better design. They eliminate those ugly rear view mirror bumps, as well as clean up all the mess they made adding the lights, much smoother. Best looking single piece tail.

3. These guys really know what they are doing. If you go to the salt-flats, you'll see their handy work all over the record books.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX2502008.htm
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM   #34
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff View Post
Dammit Richard...guess you win.

I should be ready to buy next month. Hopefully the price's still good by then.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM   #35
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
I like air-tech, ordered them before christmas, will be here next week. Will have pics shortly thereafter.

Why I like air-tech:

1. Not plastic, fiberglass. Can be fixed.

2. Better design. They eliminate those ugly rear view mirror bumps, as well as clean up all the mess they made adding the lights, much smoother. Best looking single piece tail.

3. These guys really know what they are doing. If you go to the salt-flats, you'll see their handy work all over the record books.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/EX2502008.htm
I might be mistaken but doesn't most race orgs require you to take off the lower half for inspection. It seems these don't have a quick belly pan on/off.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
I might be mistaken but doesn't most race orgs require you to take off the lower half for inspection. It seems these don't have a quick belly pan on/off.
FAIL!

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #37
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post

per airtech

Quote:
2EX2OCP
Kawasaki EX250 Oil containment belly pan
This is an invaluable piece for track use. We've designed a long oil containment belly pan that clears the shock mount in the back without looking all crooked on the bike. Slip it over stock lowers and drill a hole in the tab at the front and use the stock mounting point there. Then drill a few holes on the side and install the belly pan with a couple of Dzus buttons or regular nuts and bolts. Minor trimming may be required for exhaust clearance

As far as the removal during Tech, I never had to remove the lowers for inspection before on my other rides. Not saying that is the case with the EX250 though. Generally, a flash light and a peek up the skirt will show that the filter and the drain plug are safety wired and that any external oil line connections are siliconed.

The fit and finish of airtech has been of good quality for me in the past on the zx7 and also the Catalyst Racing for the 10r. Abrasion and cracking resistance have been good. It has been nice to see the different reviews out there on other products. There are a couple of other products out there for me to consider. Still not sure if Hotbodies is an option for me or not, and yes, I fall down on occasion. But still not sure if cheap is better at this time.
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #38
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Dino74's referring to racing, not so much trackdays.

Old January 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #39
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Late Christmas!

Just picked them up at UPS, after telling them to hold them for pick-up after first failed delivery...

They proceeded to give them a tour of Miami for the next two days. It was with some apprehension that I opened the box, fearing for the worst. But the guys at Air-tech did a stellar job packaging and idiot proofing!

Can't wait to slap them on before sending to paint. Looking to do a sick little conversion. A friend of mine, does paint and body on bikes as a side gig.
He has already done this to a few bikes, the results are pretty neat and track ready.

He already poo' poo'd the eyepatch... the cut out can't be salvaged. But he has a hard plastic that looks cooler.

Yo dude, when you weren't looking I jacked your thread... and yes that is a green shag carpet.

Last futzed with by Cab305; January 5th, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Color

Old January 7th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #40
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Mounting

Here they are mounted. The fit is very solid, needed to sand down a couple of edges and brackets, but Im very happy with results. They are off to paint next weekend.