ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #1
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Rough ride....possible suspension problem?

I recently did some routine maintenance on my 07 (21,000 miles and counting), of which included a new set of tires. After replacing just the front tire, I noticed that my commute to and from work felt rougher than normal. I felt that it might have been because the rear tire had a significant flat spot, so I replaced it. Did not help.

I did go from a 100/90 back down to a 100/80 on front, and from a 130/90 to a 130/80 out back. Tire pressures are good. It seems like I feel every little bump now. Is this simply because the taller tires softened the ride??

I have done alot of maintenance myself, but am not studied up on the suspension. When I push down on the grab bar, the rear compresses and slowly returns to original position. Normal?

Also, when I stand up and push down on the forks with a little force, I can hear a "click" or "tap". Could not determine the cause.

I am just needing a little direction as to what else to check. I have visually inspected as much as I know how to and saw no problems. Any input/feedback is much appreciated!
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section, if a mod could move for me. Sorry......

Old November 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to pre-gen tech

I might expect the ride to feel a little stiffer with the shorter tires, but not night and day difference.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Your old tires were probably a little under-inflated making them a bit squishy. Now that you just mounted new ones they're most likely at the correct pressure
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Did you switch tire brands when you bought your new ones?

If you did switch brands the roughness/road feel might be due to the new tires having stiffer sidewalls. Stiffer sidewalls give better handling but increases small-bump harshness.

Quote:
I did go from a 100/90 back down to a 100/80 on front, and from a 130/90 to a 130/80 out back. Tire pressures are good. It seems like I feel every little bump now. Is this simply because the taller tires softened the ride??
Yes, this is definitely a contributor to your small-bump harshness. Less sidewall equals a less compliant ride.

So, you decreased the amount of sidewall and possibly even increased sidewall stiffness with a brand change.

Quote:
I have done alot of maintenance myself, but am not studied up on the suspension. When I push down on the grab bar, the rear compresses and slowly returns to original position. Normal?

Also, when I stand up and push down on the forks with a little force, I can hear a "click" or "tap". Could not determine the cause.
Yes, what you're feeling in the suspension is the fact that Kawasaki had to "cut some corners" when they built the EX-250.

If they'd given it a really good frame and suspension the cost of the bike would have bumped up toward that of a 600cc bike. To keep the EX-250 cheap enough to truly differentiate it from 600cc pricing Kawasaki had to use some cheap/old parts (some were cheap because they were already established in Kawasaki's parts-supply from other older bikes and were high-volume like the ancient technology of the EX-250's damper-rod style forks, others were just plain cheap parts like the rear shock, the crappiest KYB has ever built. KYB should hang their heads in shame over that piece of garbage).

On the good side, the engine is without a doubt the best, highest quality part of the EX-250. So it's a good centerpiece around which you can work to improve the bike as you see fit.

At 21,000 miles your fork oil is probably more like oatmeal than oil, your swingarm bushings are probably dry as a bone, same goes for your UniTrak suspension linkage, the crappy OEM KYB rear shock is ready for the junkyard, and your cush drive is probably all wallowed-out and jerky.

This was my solution...

Front fork: .70 Sonic Springs (for a 175lbs rider), Gold Valve Emulators, 15 weight oil.

Rear Shock: Hagon

And while I had it apart: I serviced the swingarm, lubricated the UniTrak linkage, shimmed the cush drive, cleaned and re-greased the wheel bearings, cleaned and lubricated the speedometer drive cable, and adjusted the chain slack to the Service Manual recommended amount.

Now it's the motorcycle I wanted from the beginning.

Quote:
I have done alot of maintenance myself, but am not studied up on the suspension.
It's all right here: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #6
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the info Greg, I understand now that I have some work cut out for myself (which I enjoy BTW). I guess that I am feeling the inadequacies of the suspension for the first time....I don't like it a bit.

First on the list will be suspension lubrication and fork oil change. Then maybe the rear shock.

My biggest concern was that maybe something was wrong....maybe there isn't according to the way the suspension was built.

Old November 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

The problem with suspension maintenance is all the disassembly and reassembly.

So it's best to plan ahead, gather all the parts together, and schedule everything that requires a big tear-down of either the front or rear suspension to be done all at once if you can.

The reason is (for example) when you go to all the trouble of taking the rear suspension apart only to do one or two of the items on your list you'll find that you feel a pretty strong aversion to tearing it all down again just a couple of months later.

The reason is you've just gone through the painstaking process of putting it all back together properly so you're confident of riding it again and the memory of all that effort and concern is fresh in your mind. It's only natural to not want to take it apart again, even if you enjoy all that garage work.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #8
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

I have a similar issue with my front end. Thot it may have been because there are 2 balancing weights on the front. Funny thing is they're both on the wheel where the valve is, and I thot the weights were to counterbalance those, in most cases. But anyway, my front tire is currently 100/90, and I plan on replacing it this winter with a 100/80. Also, I plan to do the forks and stuff this winter as well. I'll report back in the spring if this helps. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote