ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Kawasaki ninja 250r 08

What do you struggle with...

I think my main struggle is taking the third exit or going all the way round a round about, i always seem to go wide, probably with a little bit of target fixation, i just always seem to go wider, i probably need to slow down even more but that seems to slow... i will be going to a parking lot to practice my slow manovours as i havnt had a chance with this bike since i got it so hopfully that will help

What do you struggle with?
jack_bm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
jp129
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Dealing with cagers that are on the phone, texting, reading a book, or just plain stupid/inconsiderate.
jp129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp129 View Post
Dealing with cagers that are on the phone, texting, reading a book, or just plain stupid/inconsiderate.
i agree with you on that, i hate that so much theres nothing wrong with pulling over to text or phone someone.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

PARKING!!
I'm 5'6'' and there have been certain instances where I parked my bike on an incline and I had to stand besides and push it out while plenty of onlookers looked on, so freaking embarrassing.
So, now, every time I go to park in an area new to me, it's with a bit of anxiety. But I'm getting better at backing up...
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM   #5
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
PARKING!!
I'm 5'6'' and there have been certain instances where I parked my bike on an incline and I had to stand besides and push it out while plenty of onlookers looked on, so freaking embarrassing.
So, now, every time I go to park in an area new to me, it's with a bit of anxiety. But I'm getting better at backing up...
didnt see that one coming! i hate backing up into a space but i always park my bike facing out so if some cager hits her it wont push it fowards leaving the side stand to possibly pushed up meaning it would fall

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
PARKING!!
The more you practice parking in various angles/positions/etc. the more likely quickly learn to adapt without having to get off & push the bike. For example, you'll learn how to maneuver the bike just by pushing/moving the bike with one leg. Just relax and breathe.

Also, hit the gym while you're at it.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7
avneet
Kryptonite

Name: Avneet

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Parking lots at my University. People never seem to pay attention when backing out. I ride very slow in the parking lots for that reason. Even then, I have to hit the brakes as I see a cars reverse lights come on and they are into the street 1 second after. Once almost got t-boned like that at low speeds because she was reversing without looking straight back. I gave the girl one of those sideways helmet stares (the "what the heck" stare).
avneet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneet View Post
Parking lots at my University. People never seem to pay attention when backing out. I ride very slow in the parking lots for that reason. Even then, I have to hit the brakes as I see a cars reverse lights come on and they are into the street 1 second after. Once almost got t-boned like that at low speeds because she was reversing without looking straight back. I gave the girl one of those sideways helmet stares (the "what the heck" stare).
Im also cautious in parking areas, i think once that's happened one time your more careful after that, i know i am

Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM   #9
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

actually i have a question to do with the round about thing, i think im scared or panic because a lot of times on my 125 when i was learning to ride in the winter i slipped a few times on them due to spilt oil from trucks etc, if you cant see any oil on a dry day... will you still slip? i think thats the main thing for me.

Also how long does it take tires to warm up so you can really lean?

Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
nixthewiz
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

U turns. I can never do one smoothly without jerking.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #11
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

speed in wet conditions i slid so much i wana turn the 250 into a drift bike

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Keeping the rubber side down.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #13
silverhana
ninjette.org member

Name: angie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250

coming to a stop light/sign without feeling like I'm about to tip over ><!!!

any suggestions to improve my braking??
silverhana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #14
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Not being a squid. Wheelies and knee dragging are just so fun...
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #15
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhana View Post
coming to a stop light/sign without feeling like I'm about to tip over ><!!!

any suggestions to improve my braking??
What do yuo mean feeling like your about to tip over? is that when your actually at a stop or coming to a stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Not being a squid. Wheelies and knee dragging are just so fun...
I yet to be able to get my knee down, i'll give it a try when i have leather trousers

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #16
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Okay exagerating lol, Havent had my knee down yet, but had it really far over the other day :P was an empty, very tight turning exit ramp... not quite the track but not totally unsafe.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_bm View Post
reality.

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #18
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
reality.
I second and fully endorse this response.

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Bears. They are strong and have sharp teeth.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #20
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixthewiz View Post
U turns. I can never do one smoothly without jerking.
feather the clutch, and give it just a little rear brake as you turn. U-turns = butter smooth.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

I struggle trusting the grip on my tires. Even though I only ride in the city and on freeways, I always go super slow on the on/off ramps and don't lean much when making turns in general. Is this fear justified, or am I being paranoid?
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #22
avneet
Kryptonite

Name: Avneet

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
I struggle trusting the grip on my tires. Even though I only ride in the city and on freeways, I always go super slow on the on/off ramps and don't lean much when making turns in general. Is this fear justified, or am I being paranoid?
Same here. I try not to lean to much here in Santa Cruz. The streets are already broken as is, at least up on campus. In the morning the streets are wet from the ocean mist. I'd rather not slip here and take the turns slower
avneet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Slono, as long as they're warm, you're being paranoid. The irc roadwinners on the current bikes aren't bad, at least they weren't when I test road my buddy's bike. They didn't feel as confident as my tires though. You're fine on those. But once they wear out, buy better ones.

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
truth: you dont need grip or traction to go where you want to go. just give it more gas.

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #25
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Slono, as long as they're warm, you're being paranoid. The irc roadwinners on the current bikes aren't bad, at least they weren't when I test road my buddy's bike. They didn't feel as confident as my tires though. You're fine on those. But once they wear out, buy better ones.
That put my mind slightly at rest, i read all these things about them being bad so now im like super nervous about them haha nice to know that you find them not to bad but will be deffinatly be upgrading once they were out think tehy was new when i bought the bike though will have to wait a while

Old February 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #26
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
PARKING!!
I push mine too when I'm lazy and I'm 5'7" with short legs. Sometimes it's just more worth it to get off and roll it instead of the possibility of losing stability (sand, dirt, rocks, oil, water, etc) while on the bike and tiptoeing backwards. I take no shame, though. Besides, if I get a bike that's any bigger than our Ninjettes, I'm going to have to do it no matter what.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #27
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

I'll admit it: downshifting. Just can't quite get the hang of it . Just need the weather and the time to practice more...
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #28
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I struggle with trigonometry...oh wait...this is a motorcycle forum! I don't have one!

Old February 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #29
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Sounds like we all struggle with things we can practice and improve at so that's good

Braking, practice smoothness. This improves anyone's technique. Even emergency braking is best done smoothly - it's just really fast but still a PROGRESSIVE squeeze, no grabbing.

U-turns. Usually a problem of not looking where you should. I had to force myself to look back over my shoulder to get my u-turns smooth. Kinda scary at first. If you were on a bicycle, you would do it naturally without a thought - trust yourself. Your body has it all worked out in a flash, eyes and brain and body will just do it but you need to look where you want to be and trust yourself.

Those two above are the first things I'll be catching up on in the spring when I get my bike back.

Haven't done a round-about yet but maybe it's the same thing, looking where you want to go and adjusting speed to keep yourself in the tire tracks and not the center where the oily bits are?

Downshifting. I've still got work to do there before I'm any good at it but for a while I used the numbers in the manual for the rpms to shift from 4 to 3rd and spent a night toodling around just for the purpose of practicing that. I don't look at the rpms anymore so it must have helped for all the shifting.
Worth doing it a few times by the book so you can feel what a "pefect" downshift feels like. Again SMOOTH release of the clutch.

Cold tires: I read that the IRCs take about 45 mins of cold riding to warm up. Don't know if this is true but I don't lean when it's really cold out until I've done a few hard stops and they feel good.

Parking: I've become a hawk at finding slight grades in parking lots...
Makes my take offs much nicer. That's what I struggle with. My take-offs suck. Bike still wants to stall after I get going a few feet. Maybe the revs. Used to give it too little throttle but now maybe I give it too much. Practice should iron that out.
I hope.

Good topic, hope to hear more useful comments.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ms. T work on the clutch control. It sounds to me like you're letting it out too quickly. If you have to, practice getting the clutch just to the point where the bike starts inching forward. Then give it a little gas, and smoothly let the clutch out. Basically that will become muscle memory and you'll be able to do it quickly and smoothly and work up to being able to launch hard or get moving quickly when facing up hills

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #31
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Ms. T work on the clutch control. It sounds to me like you're letting it out too quickly. If you have to, practice getting the clutch just to the point where the bike starts inching forward. Then give it a little gas, and smoothly let the clutch out. Basically that will become muscle memory and you'll be able to do it quickly and smoothly and work up to being able to launch hard or get moving quickly when facing up hills
Nope, sadly I already went through that phase. I can toodle around using only the clutch and brake. Could ride for ages like that, slow obstacle courses, no problem. Don't have trouble on hills these days either.
Starting onto the throttle, no problem at first, get going and all is well as long as it's slow. As soon as I give it more throttle, if the bike is cold, it dies. It's like it hates to go from 10kph to 30kph in a short space of time. No problem if I slowly increase my speed, 5, 10, 15, putter putter,,,20, 25..

Since it doesn't do this when it's warm, I thought that was the problem but them I tried take-offs in a parking lot after I rode there. No problem once the bike is running. If I turn the bike off and start from scratch, it's back again.

If I ride for ages, no problem, can take off from a light quickly. If I were to turn off the bike at the same light and try it, it would want to stall at about 15kph. I can usually save it by a full on yank in of the clutch or letting it die and hitting the start button again.

It's almost like the gas gets cut off at about 15 or 20kph. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm holding the revs high or not.

My instructor told me that I could let the clutch out a bit faster than I do,

I'm going to video someone else doing a perfect take off on my bike and then video me doing it. I should be able to catch what the issue is. Someone here suggested that.

oops sorry for the loonggg reply...

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This might sound stupid, but are the carbs completely stock?

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #33
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
This might sound stupid, but are the carbs completely stock?
Never a stupid question when you're helping out a newbie! Something that would be obvious to an experienced rider could be a complete mystery to me.

Carbs are stock, the bike is brand new, bought in May 2011 but couldn't really ride it until Sept.

History of my stalling issue:
Constant stalling at first.
Couldn't take it to the dealer to check because all summer I thought it was me and without being able to get out into the very fast traffic in front of my house, I just trailered it to places to practice. Still stalled too often.

Late summer, I found out that I hadn't learned about using the clutch, finally spoke to someone who rode a motorcycle. Got through my whole first course without using it properly, only used it to shift, never for starting or slow riding, dirtbike didn't need it. .Instructors never noticed a thing and I didn't know any better.

Took another course late august to fix the clutchwork issue once I found out about it and it was awesome, like a whole world opened up. Got through the course with flying colours and scraped a peg in the cones (still my only claim to fame). But then I was back at home and can't make my bike takeoff from a cold start like I could with the cbr125.
As long as the traffic is next to nothing for the initial take-off, I still ride. Ride all over, it's fabulous but I still have this issue from a cold start.

Already turned up the idle. Was set at about 800.. got it to a happy spot at 2300 where it wouldn't have that issue and slowly sneaked it back down to about 1800rpm.

Any other ideas I should look at? I still think it's something I'm doing but there's always a scary thought in the back of my head that it might be something about the bike. At least if it's just me, I can work it out.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #34
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Check out the DIY shimming thread.

by stalling issue, I'm assuming that you mean it sputters a little at about 5-7 mph when taking off from a stop right? not completely stalling and dying to the point where you have to restart it?

if that's the case, the fact that it only happens when the bike is cold, but not when warm tells me it's a a possible lean issue in the low-midrange and 1/4-1/2 throttle opening, which is where the needles take effect. You might benefit from 1 washer on each needle. At least, it wouldn't hurt anything to try it and see if the change is good, bad, or no change at all.

Old February 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #35
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Check out the DIY shimming thread.

by stalling issue, I'm assuming that you mean it sputters a little at about 5-7 mph when taking off from a stop right? not completely stalling and dying to the point where you have to restart it?
I've got that mod on my desktop waiting for spring! It's very well explained and looks doable even for a newb. Sometimes it does completely stall at about that speed. I read an article in one of the MC mags and they said that is the first mod they would do to a ninja because of this problem. They said something to the effect of 'anemic idle and sluggish off the light performance leading to upset tailgaters and requires true finessing of the clutch"
Hmm, yep, sound like the issue. Maybe I have their test bike...

Quote:
if that's the case, the fact that it only happens when the bike is cold, but not when warm tells me it's a a possible lean issue in the low-midrange and 1/4-1/2 throttle opening, which is where the needles take effect. You might benefit from 1 washer on each needle. At least, it wouldn't hurt anything to try it and see if the change is good, bad, or no change at all.
Thanks, that will be my first real mod. The article also suggested the sprockets as well. It didn't seem to happen on all the ninjas they tested.

Lean issue, yes, I should have mentioned that I keep the choke on at least a little bit for ages. I think you may have it Sherlock.

I'm so looking forward to spring. The problem will be fixed no matter what the reason is because when it works perfectly, the acceleration is a blast!

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #36
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

What do I struggle with? Backing up on inclined surfaces. I always hold the front break when backing up ever since I tipped over on an uneven surface. It's because I'm short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhana View Post
coming to a stop light/sign without feeling like I'm about to tip over!!! any suggestions to improve my braking??
Try breaking easy. Apply the breaks well before you have to stop. The faster you slam on the breaks, the more unstable you will be when you actually stop.

Old February 9th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #37
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I still struggle with anxiety in fast-moving, high-traffic situations. I know it comes from my wreck in 2009. Sometimes it gets so bad I just have to exit the highway and take side streets to my destination. It's even worse if it's windy. I never had that issue pre-2009. I wish I could get over it.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #38
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You are doing the correct thing by exiting the highway.

Your mind can get overwhelmed with stimulus and worries and panic and lead you into a self-defeating situation in heavy traffic.

I am in that environment about 95% of my riding time; and I have felt the same when things become hairy, like entering a shower or an accident scene, which drive cagers crazy.

The ideal state of mind (very hard but not impossible to achieve) is that one in which you observe everything happening around you without thinking at all, just ready to take automatic evading action (controlling breathing helps a lot).

Being automatic, that evading action may not be the best of all the possible ones, but it is always better than over-reacting or freezing up.

What do I struggle with?
Cagers tailgating me and texting or talking to a passenger at the same time.
I just had one of those last evening.
They just take too much of my attention from the road ahead.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #39
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Honey Badgers! Damn little suckers do whatever they want cuz they don't give a F@@K. They're not afraid of anything...and I am. I hate them.

Last futzed with by Nemesis; February 9th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #40
silverhana
ninjette.org member

Name: angie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250

Quote:
What do yuo mean feeling like your about to tip over? is that when your actually at a stop or coming to a stop?
lol, coming to a stop, but so far I've been braking lightly just before the stop, so it's gotten better. yay!
silverhana is offline   Reply With Quote