ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #41
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Okay, spare (stock) carbs have been acquired.
Hopefully they'll clean up well, and hopefully the main jets aren't damaged and can be swapped over (Or at least hopefully there are enough parts to make one good set of carbs!), and then, hopefully, they'll work. Fingers crossed.

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #42
gbyoung2
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Hopefully they'll clean up well, and hopefully the main jets aren't damaged and can be swapped over (Or at least hopefully there are enough parts to make one good set of carbs!), and then, hopefully, they'll work. Fingers crossed.
You and me both brother. You and me both.

Will try and get on the carbs later today. Still have some final electrical stuff and other accessories to install on that R1200C and should be able to get it off the lift sometime around noon. Fingers crossed on that one too. Accessories (OEM or aftermarket) NEVER go on like they're supposed to.

Old March 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #43
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbyoung2 View Post
You and me both brother. You and me both.

Will try and get on the carbs later today. Still have some final electrical stuff and other accessories to install on that R1200C and should be able to get it off the lift sometime around noon. Fingers crossed on that one too. Accessories (OEM or aftermarket) NEVER go on like they're supposed to.

Hey, at least you don't have to make new wiring harnesses to fit the ape hangers I put on my "other ninja":

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #44
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

FWIW, when you start it for the first time, make sure you do the 'suck on the vacuum pipe to the petcock' trick, to fill the floatbowl. The first time I tried to start mine after rebuilding the top end, I didn't get the carbs full enough to start by relying on it sucking the fuel through on it's own. Took me ages to figure all you need to do is manually fill them first.
Still, as you're a mechanic, I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs .......
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #45
gbyoung2
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
FWIW, when you start it for the first time, make sure you do the 'suck on the vacuum pipe to the petcock' trick, to fill the floatbowl. The first time I tried to start mine after rebuilding the top end, I didn't get the carbs full enough to start by relying on it sucking the fuel through on it's own. Took me ages to figure all you need to do is manually fill them first.
Still, as you're a mechanic, I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs .......
The initial start will be done with an auxiliary fuel supply suspended from the ceiling, similar to the below pix, so no vacuum will be required for fuel feed. Of course, the petcock vacuum line will be plugged.

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #46
gbyoung2
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Finally finished off the high $$ Beemer and put your bike back up on the lift. Began taking apart the replacement carbs and other than the usual smell of foul gas, they are in pretty good shape. No deposits whatsoever in the bowls and only found one pilot jet to be partially "soft" clogged.

Interesting, once I removed the EPA caps for the idle mixture screws, factory had one down to less than a 1/4 turn of being closed. The other was about 1-1/2 turns out. This is typical since they tune the bikes for emissions, and not performance. See this all the time with virgin pre-C14 Connies that have never had the carbs off.

Regardless, I set them both at two out. The main jets have been changed out from what you had in your original carbs. I'll pull the diaphragms and slides out tomorrow and shim the needles like yours were.

I'm outta here for tonight. Have been out here since a little after 5:00 this a.m. I'm pooped.

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #47
gbyoung2
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey, at least you don't have to make new wiring harnesses to fit the ape hangers I put on my "other ninja":
Been there; done that, but not this time. 99% of the stuff this fella wanted installed was electrical. Unfortunately, other electrical stuff installed in the past by a previous owner was "not up to code," and the wiring was a disaster. Electrical poop is my forte, so we were able to sort it all out and get his new stuff installed, and working properly.

No fuses or wiring was harmed in this exercise.

Old March 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #48
gbyoung2
ninjette.org member

Most things don't usually bother me, but now I'm concerned...

The bike is running.

Now what do I do???

Old March 11th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #49
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...go for a ride?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #50
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

I got my bike back today!
I think my Ninja is going to win an award for most temperamental bike, but she's doing fine now.