ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
K-rod
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

New bike yet can't ride

Recently bought a bike this past december since my car is falling apart and doesnt get good gas mileage and now I dont know if I can even keep it.

Now I am a broke college student who lives with 3 other roommates and we are renting a house from this one gentleman. Now beforehand I asked our landlord of the house if it was okay to get a bike and he said yes and that I would only have to get it inspected by the HOA (Home Owners Association) to make sure it wasnt too loud and what not. So I figured everything was okay and went and purchased the bike.

Fast forward to today where I decide to go for a quick ride to grab something to eat and get a huge surprise.

When I comeback the security guards (gated community) at my front gate wont even let me inside. Apparently I need a special bike permit to get inside with a bike even though I have one already on my car and live in the neighborhood.

After about 5 minutes I finally convince the guard to let me inside my own neighborhood and that I would go to the office and purchase one.

What happens next is even worse. I arrive at the office only to be told that motorcycles are not allowed inside the neighborhood UNLESS you are the homeowner. Apparently if you are leasing/renting you cannot own a bike.

The lady at the front office said the guards wont allow me inside unless I had a pass and the only way I can get pass is if I am homeowner.

So what I would have to do is park the bike right outside the gate and walk to my house, which is beyond ridiculous.

So now I am stuck with a motorcycle that I cant even leave the neighborhood with. Technically not even supposed to ride in the neighborhood.

I would really hate to sell the bike because I have already paid for the MSF class for the permit, bike registration, insurance, helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, etc.

It would be a huge waste of money and time if everything was for nothing.

Do I have any options in this situation?? Can anyone provide some help?
K-rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
MLecl0001
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I would call around some lawyers and see if you have any legal options. That would be where I would start home owner associations arent as invincible as some people think.
MLecl0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #3
mholme
ninjette.org member

Name: Marques

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 636

Have you asked for the terms they told you of in writing? Maybe the homeowner you rent from can get it Ok'd for you?
mholme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4
K-rod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholme View Post
Have you asked for the terms they told you of in writing? Maybe the homeowner you rent from can get it Ok'd for you?
I did ask for a copy of the rules and apparently only homeowners and immediate family can have bikes inside neighborhood.

I emailed my landlord to see if he can do anything but I am really thinking im SOL.

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #5
mholme
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rod View Post
I did ask for a copy of the rules and apparently only homeowners and immediate family can have bikes inside neighborhood.

I emailed my landlord to see if he can do anything but I am really thinking im SOL.
Don't lose hope yet. Just wait for a response from the owner. If you're a good tenant and they already said it was OK by them, they may be willing to go to bat for you. If it's parked and stored on their owned property, it may not be an issue.

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Yet another reason I hate HOA's. Ask the guy that owns the house to procure you a permit. If that can't happen, I'd rather move. This won't be the only problem you'll have with the HOA.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Sucks bro. Compared to yours, the "no vehicle maintenance on the premises" rule in the community I live in, is nothing. I thought I had it bad when I have to sneak out of bed at 3 in the morning to change oil and do stuff to my bike...any chance you can sneak in/out ? Hope the owner gets you the permit, good luck.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #8
MikeJames21
ninjette.org member

Name: MIKE

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r, passion red

rediculous man!!!! so basically the people who have more money, to buy there house, are allowed to have a bike, considered a toy to most. that is a huge crock of ****!!! i would move out of there... if you can.

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Aclu

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #10
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

The only thing that comes to my mind after reading your situation is "WTF??!!" You probably won't be able to get a lawyer to do anything about that because you don't own the house. If the situation is in writing then you are really screwed because before buying a home, the homebuyer has to sign off and agree to the TOS that is given by the HOA. The only person that can hook you up is the homeowner. My recommendation is to give the homeowner a little extra as an incentive to get you a permit. You may not like that idea but it is better than not being able to use your bike.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #11
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Note to self...never live in gated community.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #12
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Note to self...never live in gated community.
Nothing wrong with gated communities. Around here, gated communities are preferred because the areas with no rules are very shady. Just make sure you know ALL the rules before committing.

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #13
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I guess the idea of gated communities is quite foreign to me. I don't live near any of them, and it's not a common thing around where I live.

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Can't you just work a deal with the owner to take the pass out in his name, and he's just "storing it there" to give you cheaper rent? when you're wearing gear, no one is going to know it's not him instantly...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #15
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Did you ask to see ..."terms and condition" of the neighborhood?

I'm confused as to what your neighborhood is tho, a complex building?
A private complex building?

If it's not private, then ride right through those fools.

If it is ask to see written documents stating motorcycle are not aloud, this is Bullshit

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #16
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Did you ask to see ..."terms and condition" of the neighborhood?

I'm confused as to what your neighborhood is tho, a complex building?
A private complex building?

If it's not private, then ride right through those fools.

If it is ask to see written documents stating motorcycle are not aloud, this is Bullshit
I'm taking a stab it is either a house or a duplex since he has HOAs. OP did mention that it was written in the HOA document so he can't refute that.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #17
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
I guess the idea of gated communities is quite foreign to me. I don't live near any of them, and it's not a common thing around where I live.
Gated community usually means the houses are much more expensive and more rules. They are trying to keep the thugs, low income people, and trouble makers out. Of course just because a person is rich doesn't mean they aren't a trouble maker, but that is besides the point.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #18
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
I'm taking a stab it is either a house or a duplex since he has HOAs. OP did mention that it was written in the HOA document so he can't refute that.

But they could be making **** up still, until he actually see's the written doc, which he didn't mention; stating "no motorcycle,,,unless you are homeowner...blah blah...."

then yaaa knowQ!

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #19
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
But they could be making **** up still, until he actually see's the written doc, which he didn't mention; stating "no motorcycle,,,unless you are homeowner...blah blah...."

then yaaa knowQ!
I believe this is what you are looking for

Quote:

Old March 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

What is the actual wording of their rule on it?

'Tis one more reason why I hate obtrusive HOA's.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #21
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Unfortunately HOAs are private contractual agreements that people enter into. The promise is that property values will be preserved and undesirables will be forced out however the reality is that a small group of people tend to get drunk with power and run amok.
I will agree with this part. For the most part, if the HOA isn't ridiculous then HOAs are good for the neighborhood. For instance, they require you to keep your grass cut or else you will be issued a "citation". Imagine if you were trying to sell your house and your neighbor didn't cut their grass and it was almost a foot high. I am pretty sure any prospects will turn away because they don't want to deal with neighbors that don't take care of their yard. Just imagine if you looked at the home, would you buy a house next to a neighbor that looks unkempt?
The OPs situation is definitely a unique one because I have never heard of a neighborhood banning motorcyles before. I hope your landlord is a good one and decides to help you out.

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #22
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLecl0001 View Post
I would call around some lawyers and see if you have any legal options. That would be where I would start home owner associations arent as invincible as some people think.
Agreed. HOA's are bull. They think they have all the power in the world. I think you have a case on your hands for sure. It is completely ridiculous for them to lock you out of your own complex because a tiny bike. It makes no sense at all! I would contact your homeowner/landlord and see what could be done. I am sure he would have some power.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #23
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Gated community usually means the houses are much more expensive and more rules. They are trying to keep the thugs, low income people, and trouble makers out. Of course just because a person is rich doesn't mean they aren't a trouble maker, but that is besides the point.
Living in suburbia seems to work for me in that context

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #24
K-rod
ninjette.org member

Alright so first I want to say Thank you for all the responses and suggestions.

I have obtained the written rules that they have for motorcycles and there really does not look like any loopholes as far as I can see.

You have to register a motorcycle in my neighborhood to be able to ride it but you can only do so if you are the homeowner.

The exact wording for the ban states that

1. Homeowners and immediate family members over 18 years of age that reside in the residence can register a motorcycle or moped here in the Woods. No others including renters, friends, etc, of the homeowner may operate any motorcycle or moped at any time in the Woods.

I have already contacted the landlord about helping me out and he said he would get back to me so I will just have to wait and see.

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #25
mholme
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Alright so first I want to say Thank you for all the responses and suggestions.

I have obtained the written rules that they have for motorcycles and there really does not look like any loopholes as far as I can see.

You have to register a motorcycle in my neighborhood to be able to ride it but you can only do so if you are the homeowner.

The exact wording for the ban states that

1. Homeowners and immediate family members over 18 years of age that reside in the residence can register a motorcycle or moped here in the Woods. No others including renters, friends, etc, of the homeowner may operate any motorcycle or moped at any time in the Woods.

I have already contacted the landlord about helping me out and he said he would get back to me so I will just have to wait and see.
Man I really hope it works out for you. I don't know what type of demographic is in the development(old and snooty?), but maybe you can petition the neighbors to sign off giving consent for the registration of the bike within the neighborhood, starting with your landlord. My neighbor in my old development had to do that to build a shed on his property to store his bike. He had to get the 3 neighboring homes on both sides of him to sign the petition, which included the exact location, dimensions and color of the shed. I signed off and could really care less what he did on his own property. This probably isn't the first course of action you want to take, but it may be an option if the owner gets resistance from the association. Like I said, if you're a good tenant, you would be surprised how far they are willing to go for you. If all else fails, maybe he can adopt you. Good luck.

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #26
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

HOAs are complete bullshit. I manage a rental condo for my parents and I get the stupidest **** in the mail for the dumbest "offenses." For example, when the tenant finally decided to stop playing music, I get a letter in the mail talking about a female who is not authorized to live in the property visiting on a frequent basis.

Does your college have free student legal services? If it does, it's good to take advantage of what your tuition is paying.

Sounds like the best thing you can do is have the homeowner register the bike for you and the first for you. This is reason enough to not renew the lease.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 12:58 PM   #27
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

This seems completely unreasonable to me. I doubt you will have much luck trying to get it changed without being a homeowner there as well as have some fellow bikers in the HOA that could empathize with you. I believe it is stupid to forbid a properly state registered vehicle in a neighborhood unless it was unsafe or perhaps damaging the property (leaking oil on the roads/scraping metal on the roads). If the noise is the issue perhaps have a rule stating no "non homeowner registered bikes" in after 10PM or something. Imagine having a friend/relative come visit and be turned away simply for the fact of bein on a bike, however they switch the bike for a car and "Come right on in!". I rather have non residents on bikes around versus them in cars or trucks. I doubt anyone will be able to commit burglary and get away with much on a bike.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #28
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liist View Post
HOAs are complete bullshit. I manage a rental condo for my parents and I get the stupidest **** in the mail for the dumbest "offenses." For example, when the tenant finally decided to stop playing music, I get a letter in the mail talking about a female who is not authorized to live in the property visiting on a frequent basis.
Wait, your HOA can tell you who is authorized to "stay" there and who can't? You sure they call themselves the HOA ? Maybe they are confusing themselves for being a landlord instead of an HOA.
I just bought a house in a HOA neighborhood but it isn't anywhere to the extreme that you all are all angry about. I'm only paying $50 a year in HOA fees and it just has basic things you can't do.

Old March 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
That's ridiculous. I hope it works out for the better.

Old March 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM   #30
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Wait, your HOA can tell you who is authorized to "stay" there and who can't? You sure they call themselves the HOA ? Maybe they are confusing themselves for being a landlord instead of an HOA.
I just bought a house in a HOA neighborhood but it isn't anywhere to the extreme that you all are all angry about. I'm only paying $50 a year in HOA fees and it just has basic things you can't do.
It's called Sentry Management, and they think they can do whatever they want. I just basically ignored their lawyer letters and told my tenant to stop drawing attention and the tension seemed to have died down. Oh and I said that the female is an authorized tenant and so they couldn't do anything after that besides try to tow her car if she parked in a non-visitor spot.

The best thing you can do is get the homeowner as he/she is the only one who can challenge the BS that management comes up with.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 06:59 PM   #31
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

boy i really love living in the country...
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 07:06 PM   #32
zzrguy
ninjette.org member

Name: Lostboy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ZZR 250

Exclamation

My college didn't allow me to park my motorcycle while living in residence.
I told them i didn't give a **** and parked my bike there.
They tried to tow it and I was there and told the guys that if they got one scratch on it id sue them. They asked me if i lived in residence, I said yes and they never towed it or bugged me about it again.
When you have a disc lock that's noisy as hell people tend not to touch it. Not to mention they probably didnt want to lift it seeing as you cant roll it with a lock. I mean they could drag it and wreck the tires... but then id sue em lawl :P
Just get edumacated in law and use it :P
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote