ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #1
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Sloppy fork bushings after disassembly?

I have a question about my 1992 Yamaha Seca, but those Seca forums aren't very responsive from what I've found... plus this is a general fork question anyway.

So I've got a 92 Seca with 8,800 miles, the fork seals were leaking pretty badly, (but no slop from the bushings), so I tore everything down today(new seals in hand). I cleaned everything, and started reassembling the forks. I put the fork into the lower leg, and seated the press-fit outer bushing, and there is a very noticable amount of slop in any lateral direction.

The teflon coating looks PERFECT, not a single area shows any wear on either bushing. I know that simply installing the RUBBER fork seals are not going to take up the freeplay, let alone be able to resist movement under braking/accelerating/cornering.

What sucks even more, looking at the IPB's from Yamaha, it seems they don't even have a part number for the inner fork bushing that rides on the chrome fork tube.
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...237-front-fork

Sorry that this isn't a ninjette question, but I feel like I'd get better info in a shorter amount of time.

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

peening the outside of the bushings

I've seen articles

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/fork_stiction_tuning.htm

where you put the bushing on an unused portion of the fork tube, and bash the outside of the bushing with a centre punch to increase the effective diameter with dimpling.

Doesn't cost much and you have them apart already.
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote