ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Rayce01
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rayce

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Question Taking MSF this weekend, advice on clothing.

Hey folks! Been lurking here for months, decided to finally ask a question.

I am taking the 2 day MSF on Sat and Sun and was curious about gear I should wear. The site I registered at states shoes covering ankles (was gonna wear my black tactical boots), a long sleeve shirt or jacket and leather gloves. I have some black riding gloves that fit ok I am borrowing from a friend who used to ride. Of course do not own proper gear yet, as I am bikeless. It's been about 15 years since I have ridden (and that was for only a year) so I am a tad nervous.

Thanks for any advice ya can give.

PS This site has been great thus far at answering many questions I had without even needing to post, seems like a very nice community here.
Rayce01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd follow their recommendations. Over the ankle boots, some gloves, and a comfortable but reasonably protective jacket or even thick shirt. If you think that you are going to continue motorcycling, I'd consider buying your own helmet ahead of time. But I wouldn't go hogwild on all of the other gear just to take the MSF course. While ATGATT means ATGATT, the speeds in the MSF are really low in the parking lot, and 9 times out of 10 any crash means a 5 mph or less tipover; gear designed to hang together and protect while sliding down the road at elevated speeds might not be considered necessary.

/moved to Riding Gear sectiion

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moises

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce01 View Post
Hey folks! Been lurking here for months, decided to finally ask a question.

I am taking the 2 day MSF on Sat and Sun and was curious about gear I should wear. The site I registered at states shoes covering ankles (was gonna wear my black tactical boots), a long sleeve shirt or jacket and leather gloves. I have some black riding gloves that fit ok I am borrowing from a friend who used to ride. Of course do not own proper gear yet, as I am bikeless. It's been about 15 years since I have ridden (and that was for only a year) so I am a tad nervous.

Thanks for any advice ya can give.

PS This site has been great thus far at answering many questions I had without even needing to post, seems like a very nice community here.
call they should give you gloves and a helmet and yea shoes that go over the ankle are much better but just cll and ask i don't think its necessary to wear shoes that go over but just call them and ask long sleeve and regular jeans should be fine
xMoises831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

May depend on which state but I know for Oklahoma, footwear that goes over the ankle is required and I think for us, you have to provide your own helmet and gloves. Good luck though and let us know how it goes.

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #5
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Wear layers, that way you can shed them as it gets warmer. I wore an underarmor shirt w/ t-shirt over that and hoody over that...was sufficient even with it getting around 40 in the morning, but my underarmor would get hot and I wished I had a thinner long sleeve shirt to change into.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Rayce01
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rayce

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Thank you for the quick replies. I will do just that, and thanks for the advice.
Rayce01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Toper
ninjette.org member

Name: Toper

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

I know this is a clothing thread, but don't forget to bring BIG jugs of water/gatorade to keep hydrated during breaks...I forgot to bring drinks/snacks on the first day, I sure as heck didn't make the same mistake on day 2.
Toper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

I took the MSF in Georgia and gloves, jacket, long pants and over the ankle shoes are a must. Only thing they will provide you with is a loaner helmet. I knew I was def gonna ride so I bought a Alpinestars jacket on closeout and some good gloves. For shoes I got some cheap Bilt boots from Cycle Gear.
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #9
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

great choice on taking the MSF course!

i wore my riding boots and gloves that i had already bought for my bike. I just put on a long sleeve shirt on for the ride since it was a little warm that day. the helmets were provided for us at our class.

X2 on bringing drinks and snacks!

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:53 PM   #10
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

I used a $10 of hiking boots from Target, a standard long sleeve shirt, jeans, and some leather gloves. Easy stuff.

You will do fine at MSF if you have already ridden. The class is for Super Noobs so expect to master it quickly. You will do perfect.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
I used a $10 of hiking boots from Target, a standard long sleeve shirt, jeans, and some leather gloves. Easy stuff.

You will do fine at MSF if you have already ridden. The class is for Super Noobs so expect to master it quickly. You will do perfect.
For super noobs though many who aren't necessarily that, go down for reasons that could've been avoided if they'd taken the MSF or had the skills/knowledge taught there.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

yes definitely wear layers. i was nervous for mine, and the cold made me shake even more
then the second day i was really hot, nearly sweating.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote