ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Calling Apex/ Bicyclers

As of lately, I have been going on 20 mi+ bike rides as a part of my weekly routine and am interested in purchasing something a little more than my old mountain bike. I would like something in the style of Trek's sport style bikes with the curved down handle bars. I am in no way knowledgeable in the biking world and would like some input on what is good and what isnt. I have a budget of about 800$.

Thanks!
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

$800 can get you a lot.

Question is, do you want a single speed, fixed gear or multi-speed?

The 2013 Trek 1.1 ($740 MSRP) would be your cheapest roadie (from Trek). It is the same frame that is on the Trek 1.5, but just lower end components (doesn't mean it isn't as capable).

Plus, you can always upgrade later on if you want to change things up.

The Trek T1 is the fixed gear. It has gone up in price since I looked at them...$960.

Some dealers may have a left over model for a lower price.

To give you an idea:
Trek 1.1 - $740
Trek 1.2 - $990
Trek 1.5 - $1240

I got a decent chunk off my 1.5 since it was a previous year model. I paid only $1000 for it. So you may be able to find a 1.2 within your budget.

You also have the Lane. It is a steel framed bike (smoother ride) and runs around $1210.

You can also look here for a Bikes Direct ride:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

Also, it is worth considering if you want to be able to mount a rear rack to the bike or fenders. If you plan on commuting, fenders are a must. However, if it is just for exercise, you don't need them and probably do not want them.

I have a clamp-on rack on my 1.5. Yeah it looks retarded with a bag hanging off the back, but I keep my wallet, cell phone, tubes, tools, energy gels, food, sunblock, bug repellant, zip ties, etc, in there. It has come in handy more than not. It adds weight, true, but I'd rather carry a bit more weight than not have all I need. Plus it is nice not having gear crammed in my jersey pockets.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Sounds great, I actually have my eye on the 2013 Trek 1.1 at my local bike shop. Looks like a nice solid bike which will get me into the beginning stages pretty well. I wont be needing any fenders or racks but I'll probably find a small pouch to hold a few things.

Thanks Apex.

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Just slot some room in your budget for those bottle cages, bottles (if you need them), tire levers, patch kit, spare tube, mini pump or CO2 (I have a mini pump that also can use CO2, so if I run out of CO2, I have a backup), mini-tool, new helmet, gloves, etc.

Granted, you may not need any of this because you already own it. If not, it really is worth having.

Also, factor in some Bontrager Hard Case tires. I have had mine for 3 years now and have not had a single flat. My little brother isn't as lucky since he still skimps on tires (plus, I doubt he watches where he is riding).

On a side note, I'm hard core when it comes to watching the road for debris. The stock tires lasted me almost a season with no flats before I swapped them out for BHC's.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #5
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Yea I'll probably get a lot of that stuff a little bit after I get the bike. But some of it I already have. I'll ride out the tires the bike comes with for a bit and then definitely get those hard case tires. I have a whole Firefox folder of stuff I plan on getting already :P

Thanks Apex.