ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 17th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250r FI

For those with FI bikes

Well it seems to me that there's not that much information about FI bikes and a lot of concerns about what should we do with a stock 08+ FI bike. I will start this thread so people can share their findings. Here's mine:

- First things first: I your bike have an FI light on the dash...its an FI bike!

- I bought the bike 0Km with an Akrapovic slip-on. The dealer offered me that. NO problems with the break-in period. Oh and it doesn't have any noise reduction..."Is that a 600? XD".

- I yanked the snorkel and added a Pipercross air filter and the bike was smooth as silk. It was like if "the air was already in the air box" if you know what I mean. (Not trying to start an argument on air filter brands but Pipercross costs WAY less than a K&N and its the same....really...). So, no problem with that

-Zip-tie mod...WHAT a difference...You have to learn to throttle again but it will take a week or so...a MUST DO to all the bikers that want a little more of Ninja 250 bikes...and the guys from ZX6R forum do that too (bastards XD)

- Iridium spark plugs...Well the only difference really is the start up of the bike. It's smoother. But its an item that it's juuust a little more that the OEM ones and they can last a loooot more and perform much better....so why not right?

- The2Wheels cheap a$$ levers...No one can tell the difference believe me....No one...the only problem is that the black plastic pieces fade with the sun. Other than that....amazing.

- HotBodies license plate holder....great looking stuff but a PITA to install the license plate again. But more on that later

- Bar ends....change them and the steering becomes faster...good if you drive in traffic.

So...this concludes my thoughts (by now) on what I've done to my FI Ninja 250 bike...I also don't have a PC or BAZZAZ because it costs too much. But if you can spend that money its a must have. If you have any questions about this system I can help you

I'll be adding a 47T rear sprocket and SS brake lines. Oh! and BT's 090 by the way....but I'll talk about that when the time is right.

Ride safe and share your opinions!

Last futzed with by Ricmon; September 6th, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Ricmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Your bike is running ultra lean right now. How comfortable are you with repairing engine damage?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Your bike is running ultra lean right now. How comfortable are you with repairing engine damage?
And you know that because....

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricmon View Post
And you know that because....
no snorkel, high flow drop-in filter, slip-on.

no power commander.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Well...nothing seems wrong...really

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

@Ricmon - don't worry about that or get angry.
You must know the both most experienced Ninja 250R-FI owners have answered you...
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Get it dyno'd and double check your numbers. It's possible that it's perfectly fine, but it's more likely that parts of the powerband are now running a little lean.

The bike will still run smoothly a little lean, but it won't take advantage of your performance parts without adjusting the amount of fuel added. You'll like it better when you add more fuel to compensate for that extra air.

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

My thoughts exactly... I made this thread so some FI bike users can buy some of the things I have without any concerns... by the way...I gave up with the clip-ons idea XD

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Get it dyno'd and double check your numbers. It's possible that it's perfectly fine, but it's more likely that parts of the powerband are now running a little lean.

The bike will still run smoothly a little lean, but it won't take advantage of your performance parts without adjusting the amount of fuel added. You'll like it better when you add more fuel to compensate for that extra air.
Yes I understand that but I just don't have 580 Euros (730 dollars) to buy a PC V od a BAZZAZ system...(witch I previously stated in the first post)

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #11
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Yes I understand that but I just don't have 580 Euros (730 dollars) to buy a PC V od a BAZZAZ system...(witch I previously stated in the first post)
Buy it from indysuperbike for a relatively cheap price... Should be almost half of what you just stated shipped. I paid 280$ or so for mine including 20$ for overnight shipping to new York. Shipping to Portugal should be in the 40-60$ range. Good luck!!!

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Buy it from indysuperbike for a relatively cheap price... Should be almost half of what you just stated shipped. I paid 280$ or so for mine including 20$ for overnight shipping to new York. Shipping to Portugal should be in the 40-60$ range. Good luck!!!
What do you have more in your bike?

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
You must know the both most experienced Ninja 250R-FI owners have answered you...
I have just as much experience tuning my fuel injected bike as you do. I have a full system, a full intake, and I worked out my map for both of them based on the data I collected from all my sensors.

My system is not an oem FI system, but tuning it is the same.

Don't be a smartass Roland.

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
witch I previously stated in the first post
sorry, I must have missed that

Is it possible to have a dyno run done and have your ecu re-flashed at a dealership?

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #15
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
What do you have more in your bike?
Hmmmm... As far as performance upgrades are concerned,

Current
1) Full exhaust
2) K&N 0990 Air filter
3) Airbox deleted
4) PCV

On the way
5) Auto tune
6) SV650 clip ons
7) A&L rear set adjusters
8) levers from thetwowheels
9) grips from thetwowheels
10) flush mount turn signals from thetwowheels
11) double bubble screen

This is not including some of the other farkles such as
12) HID projectors with angel eyes
13) DIY fender eliminator
14) Carbon vinyl on windscreen and side panels
15) Tank pad

Once I get the levers and grips, I'll switch to the clip ons and also do the zip-tie throttle mod. Blinging up the ninjette yo!!!

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Well...nothing seems wrong...really
A bike can be too lean yet still feel as if its running fine. But the leaner it runs the harder it is on the engine which will decrease the life of your engine. See if you can get the air to fuel ratio tested at a dyno
AFM #676

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
NO problems with the break-in period.
Out of curiosity, how did you break yours in? I am doing the Kawasaki recomended method, and after about 20 miles or so bringing it up to 6k then engine breaking down to 4k and I have had to drop down to 7k to avoid several busses that couldn't hear / see me round high corners.

I'm just wondering if this is comparible to your break in and if this is OK for fuel injected bikes, as it sounds on occasion at 3k to 4k a little... Puffy? Like I can hear the exhaust kinda puff puff puff, i'm no bike mechanic but it doesn't sound very bike-esq.

Oh and rRicmon make sure your FI bike isnt one of the recalled models. Google search ninja 250 recall.

Last futzed with by Joshorilla; September 6th, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Spelling, good to google
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The bike is pretty much broken in when you pick it up from the dealer. You can go up to 8-10k no problem just don't ride at any specific rpm for more than a couple minutes
AFM #676

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
The bike is pretty much broken in when you pick it up from the dealer. You can go up to 8-10k no problem just don't ride at any specific rpm for more than a couple minutes
Awesome thanks! What's the best bang for your buck upgrade for the FI ninja? I'm assuming airfilter, as no re-jiggery pokery should be needed and you should get a better flow? Pipercross filters are nice and cheap here too and pretty respected brand, they seem to be the european equivilant of K&N in a lot of ways.

So far i've been concentrating on power to weight ratio, made the bike about 14lbs lighter, well, i've layed off the carbs

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Awesome thanks! What's the best bang for your buck upgrade for the FI ninja? I'm assuming airfilter, as no re-jiggery pokery should be needed and you should get a better flow? Pipercross filters are nice and cheap here too and pretty respected brand, they seem to be the european equivilant of K&N in a lot of ways.

So far i've been concentrating on power to weight ratio, made the bike about 14lbs lighter, well, i've layed off the carbs
The problem with FI is that your bike is set to run at stock and only at stock. Any modification you do increases air flow which leans out an already lean bike an is detrimental to the engine in the long run. If you do any performance mods you need to get a power commander or equivalent to "tune" the ecu. If you add more air flow you also need more fuel (controlled by ecu) otherwise you are just shooting yourself in the foot
AFM #676

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
The problem with FI is that your bike is set to run at stock and only at stock. Any modification you do increases air flow which leans out an already lean bike an is detrimental to the engine in the long run. If you do any performance mods you need to get a power commander or equivalent to "tune" the ecu. If you add more air flow you also need more fuel (controlled by ecu) otherwise you are just shooting yourself in the foot
I see your point and it's a concern, but the ECU should vary the mix based on oxygen levels etc, and i'm skeptical that the increase in air would amount to a change greater than those found in normal environmental changes to air density say -10c at sea level vs 45c at 13,000ft which you would expect the ECU to handle since there are no reginonal mappings as far as I am aware for places like spain and scotland.

If I got a full exhaust I would pop a power commander on, but I may just run a few probes off my exhaust and log them with a microcontroller for the sake of science in the mean time.

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I believe the ecu has different preset maps to choose from but I would not trust it with any mods
AFM #676

Old September 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #23
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

hy
i have FI too.
After lots of questions asked, FI can addjust a little if you mod it, but open akrapovič slipon+ hi-flow dropin is too much. You must put noise reducer inside and it will be ok.
some frends have same setup as you, only they have noise reducer inserted and bikes are just ok
so, noise reducer is a must w/o PWC and dyno.
why is it removable if it dammages the engine, when not propperly used? I worked in akrapovič (part time job) and asked him personally this question.. the answer was "when it comes to small bikes, sound is the only thing which sells"
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well screw sound, I want my bike to pull harder and rev quicker. I want the most out of my little bike.

Akra is overpriced anyways.