ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 16th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #1
ACTNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Blake

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250r

Question Slipon Exhaust.. No mods Necessary? MGP GROWLER

Hey guys brand new to the motorcycle world as well as forums.. so please excuse my noobishness
I've owned my brand new Ninja 250 (first bike) for 8 days and loving it! 777kms in.

The stock exhaust does sound a little wimpy though and I live in a city home to australia's most oblivious drivers.. Im concidering a slipon exhaust; MGP growler.
Just wondering if any mods are needed for a slipon like this? The manufactors website says not but my insticts say other wise.

Also if anybody who has one of these on there bike or had one want to give some feedback that would be appreciated, read some very mixed reactions on the net from gunshot backfire stories to people rating it as the greatest ever. Main reason for buying this slipon is the price.

Thanks
ACTNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

I'm sure the collective Ninjette would implore you not to get an MGP Growler, or any slip-on.

The extra noise from a loud exhaust would not be noticeable to anyone in front of you, unless the exhaust exits forward.
@Jiggles

Old September 16th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #3
ACTNinja
ninjette.org member

Hey man thanks for the quick reply!

Would love love love a full system! Defiantly some time down the track! But I can't even even afford the pipes let alone the install at the moment

The loud pipes weren't really for drivers infront of me.. mainly the ones driving right beside me who change lanes without even glacing. Already experienced that a number of times. Not a good feeling. I've been avoiding driving beside cars when i can but traffic does get a little hectic at times.

Was considering the slipon mainly because I could install it myself and it was a cheaper option to buy. So yeah any mods neccersary?

Or are they that bad and is it really worth just rocking the stock pipe for now?

Old September 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Just keep the stock pipe and invest that in gear or save up. If they didn't SEE you next to them, what makes you then they'll hear your slightly louder exhaust?

Old September 16th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #5
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

I agree this won't get drivers to see you if you ride normally. You would have to be close to or at full throttle the whole time to have any chance of it working the way you are suggesting which I highly doubt you can do in traffic. If you want an exhaust because you like then sound then go ahead and get it.
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #6
ACTNinja
ninjette.org member

Thanks for replies!
I do enjoy the look of them and the noise

Anybody know if a jetting kit or anything is needed though?

Bit confused?

Old September 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #7
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

At a minimum you'll want to shim your needles.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTNinja View Post
Thanks for replies!
I do enjoy the look of them and the noise

Anybody know if a jetting kit or anything is needed though?

Bit confused?
If the slipon manufacturer says you don't need to shim or rejet you may not need to. It may run lean though.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Don't waste your money on noisey junk. You have a horn, use it
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #10
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Even if you opt for a slip-on...the growler sounds absolutely horrible. This kid down the road has one on his and it's the most obnoxious sounding pipe i've heard. If you want it to be louder but can't afford a full system, the Danmoto is pretty good, and cheap. It's fairly loud, but not as retarded as the others.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Even if you opt for a slip-on...the growler sounds absolutely horrible. This kid down the road has one on his and it's the most obnoxious sounding pipe i've heard. If you want it to be louder but can't afford a full system, the Danmoto is pretty good, and cheap. It's fairly loud, but not as retarded as the others.
lol cmon, they are all running in the special olympics, doesn't matter who wins
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #12
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Mo' braps.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #13
xSean13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
lol cmon, they are all running in the special olympics, doesn't matter who wins
Maybe, but they could have chosen to just play at the playground. While they may not be able to compete in the real olympics, they're at least competing in the special olympics.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
nealt
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

++++1 to not getting the MGP or any short can exhaust like the (two bros cans)
I find the short cans though they look nice are excessively and obnoxiously loud with the worst tone ever.
The short cans do not blend the firing from the twin cylinders so it comes out as two separate braps, to my ears they sound awful, not like a v-twin sound either.
The longer cans like AreaP's blend the exhaust noise nicely and sound way better...just my 2 cents..
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I had an MGP Growler... I too bought it because it was cheap... looked really good and initially I thought I'd like the sound. Worst money I ever spent on my bike. It was so obnoxiously loud that on any extended ride I would get a headache. Noone ever wanted to ride directly behind me and you could hear it from blocks away. I am so much happier with my Yoshi full system that I wish I would have never bought the Growler.

That being said... if you still buy it... I found that after I shimmed the needles, removed the emmissions and desnorkeled the bike it ran much smoother. I used to get a lot of backfire on decel before tweaking the bike. It doesn't need a full rejet... but the aforementioned tweaks should do the trick. Good luck with your decision
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #16
streetsquid
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250,2005 suzuki drz400 supermoto,2005 cr150f supermoto,2009 klx 110,1998 Z-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
I had an MGP Growler... I too bought it because it was cheap... looked really good and initially I thought I'd like the sound. Worst money I ever spent on my bike. It was so obnoxiously loud that on any extended ride I would get a headache. Noone ever wanted to ride directly behind me and you could hear it from blocks away. I am so much happier with my Yoshi full system that I wish I would have never bought the Growler.

That being said... if you still buy it... I found that after I shimmed the needles, removed the emmissions and desnorkeled the bike it ran much smoother. I used to get a lot of backfire on decel before tweaking the bike. It doesn't need a full rejet... but the aforementioned tweaks should do the trick. Good luck with your decision
Yes it's very loud and mine is just sitting in the box right now cause I replaced with something quiter

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #17
James13
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ninja 250

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsquid View Post
Yes it's very loud and mine is just sitting in the box right now cause I replaced with something quiter
I know everyone is saying its to loud, but I want to experience it for myself... Seeing as yours is in a box, what are the chances of you wanting to sell it?
James13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #18
ACTNinja
ninjette.org member

So I've been watching a heap of YouTube videos etc. The growler does sound quite retarted.. Almost like a dirt bike. Shame, love the look of it.

Going to save for a carbon fibre yoshimura slipon.

Old September 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

OP just watch youtube videos. People always say "my recorder does not do it justice ect" but the growler in person sounds EXACTLY like the youtube videos, i experienced an epic squid with a growler not too long ago.

so much brap
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #20
xSean13

I'm glad you wised-up! My neighbor has the growler on his ninja 250, it's the most annoying thing in the world. It sounds like a retarded racing 4-wheeler, and I can still hear him a mile or so down the road out of our neighborhood.

Old September 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #21
hillbillyhank
ninjette.org member

Name: Hank

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250; 2006 50th anniversary edition R6

I have the growler on my 250 and while it may be obnoxious to most, it's all about what you like. Personally I like it because it sounds like a pissed off weed-eater, lol. It's by far one of the better looking exhausts for a 250 as well.

As far as performance, I shimmed my needles and took off the snorkel and it runs like a dream. Just an fyi, I added 2 washers when shimming. YMMV though. Happy riding!