ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old September 28th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Post Yzf-R6. Is mine!

So I'm picking up a Yzf r6 later today. This is the bike that had me drooling when i saw it. It's the one that started it all, I saw it and said wow that yellow R6 looks like a bad ass wasp. Kinda like the BumbleBee of motorcycles.

But I knew I would probably hurt or kill myself on a bike so fast as a first bike. And so two years ago I got my Ninja 250r and loved it!

Any advice from somebody who has had an R6? What should i watch out for/ be careful with, when getting used to this bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-27 15.53.32.jpg (89.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-27 14.24.46.jpg (115.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-09-27 15.50.43.jpg (101.0 KB, 29 views)

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Squeeze tank with your legs to keep your upper body up instead of putting weight on your wrists. This is general rule for all bikes but one you should follow religiously especially on an r6 cause it's so damn aggressive seating position.

There's a valve on the exhaust that opens and closes in low rpm range to keep it quieter standing still and also gives a small boost of power (very insignificant if you ask me) in the lower rpms. Well that valve over time collects dirt and dust and gets sticky. You lose power and search for what could be wrong. So either check it/clean it regularly or get rid of the valve or disconnect it so it's always open. I eliminated the thing all together.

If you're into GP shifting style (down to shift up, up to shift down), it's extremely easy to do on an r6 and no additional parts needed. Unscrew the upper bolt that bolts shifting rod to the shifter cylinder thingy. and mirror it and screw back.

So instead of this:

Do this:

That's it for now...

Oh and track that thing ASAP and see what it's really capable of
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #3
krolinked
Nerd

No way am I tracking it. I'd be too afraid of dumping the bloody thing.

And Sweet advice about that valve collecting dust.

Also how crazy is it when it hits the powerband?

Can it be dangerous if i'm just accelerating at a steady pace for example, and it sneaks up unto the powerband while I'm looking at some cute chick on the sidewalk??

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #4
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Beautiful bike congratz!!!!

Old September 28th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #5
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Wow, Congratulations!
And nice Paint Job
TheDementedDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #6
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

nice, safe riding

please run the bike to scheduled mineral oil servicing then put in full syn.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #7
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

IDK what year yours is, but I know many years had defective second gears that would skip horrendously. Yamaha refused to acknowledge the issue and claimed it was the rider's fault when it was clearly a defective part. They even made different shift drums to fix the issue. Yamahas just tend to have junk transmissions in general, but the rest about their bikes tends to be good.

The power band? No, it's controllable. Ride it and pay attention.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #8
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
Also how crazy is it when it hits the powerband?

Can it be dangerous if i'm just accelerating at a steady pace for example, and it sneaks up unto the powerband while I'm looking at some cute chick on the sidewalk??
I don't have an R6 but I have a gsxr-600 so the powerband is similar, and unless you're really opening it up it won't sneak up on you. But, if you really give it some gas hold on because around 8k it will start to get into it powerband as is gets higher into the rpm's. If you're smooth and keep the revs low then the bike will be pretty tame just riding around, you'll get the hang of it after a couple of days. The biggest difference with a bigger bike is that it's heavier and has a wider tire so you'll have to get used to that as well.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Gratz! It really is one of the most beautiful machines that has been put together.

After riding a 250 you shouldn't have much problem riding an r6 in general but there are a few transition things I found. I will leave out the throttle, you know not to bite off more than you can chew.

Read about the yami "tick" in the top of the engine
The two textured pieces of fairing on the sides of the tank, they will get loose and fall off as the bike ages
The ergo is very aggressive compared to the 250 but you "should" like the feel of the grip on the tank with your legs, if it took you a while to learn to grip on the 250, it might feel like it takes forever to get used to it on the r6
The yami/michelin combo really, really, really rocks and a V front (power cup) will make an r6 feel like it turns like a 250 but a cheaper set of Q2's will more than get the job done on the street and even at track for B & C paces.
Get a steering damper, why there is not one stock is beyond me

The power band is peaky and surges. It don't really sneak up on you, it more like hits you up side the head. Under 6k is pretty docile after that... it starts to show hints of why there is a lot of race grids dominated by R6's. 6k and under it's a big kitten, at 10k and above with a pinned throttle, where the power band shines, it's a lion you will really feel it pull and it likes to lift the front wheel off the ground at 120mph. In the hands of a talented rider, will rival a gsxr 750 in the straights.

Oh! when you take the fairings off, the first bolt that you remove should be the lower front fairing bolt. It's the one right behind the front wheel that connects the two lower pieces. If it's the last you remove, there is a good chance they will just pull apart breaking the tab. Ask me how I know.

There are a few of us now that have upgraded to a R6 with some amount of wrenching and modding knowledge. Ask if you have another other questions.

Enjoy responsibly!

Last futzed with by csmith12; September 28th, 2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling error
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #10
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

I just got my R6....

Just be careful, take your time, and squeeze your legs really ****in' hard if you give it a lot of throttle. Once you hit like, 8K RPMS the bad boy takes off on you.

Old September 28th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
One more thing.

Pull off the passenger seat and have a peek at the brake light connector wire. Ensure their is enough slack that you can plug/unplug the brake/turn signal lights without having to fight it. Have the dealer extend it as needed as part of the sale/delivery.

Last futzed with by csmith12; September 28th, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/lair

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #13
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Talk to Robert, he got one after crashing his 250. You know you can't upgrade until you crash your 250, right?
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Beautiful Bike! Especially in white. Enjoy it and ride safe.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Wow, beautiful bike man. I've really wanted a CBR but lately, the R6 is growing on me....

Definitely post up more pics!

Old September 28th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #16
krolinked
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Talk to Robert, he got one after crashing his 250. You know you can't upgrade until you crash your 250, right?
Been there, Done that

Old September 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #17
blackoutt
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6, 08 250R

Like was said above, they are gutless and unhappy under 6k rpm, from 6-10k they are fun around town and pass most traffic, above 10k you have an instant grin and your speedo goes triple digits in no time. Best mod's to do are 15 tooth front sprocket to keep it up out of the low rpms easier, and setting up the suspension for your weight/riding style. They are also not very comfortable, with way different ergos that the ninja, but that's what you were going for wasn't it? I cut my seat apart to make it more saddle shaped and added some memory foam, I would love to get some grip tape on the tank next too.

Old September 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I crashed a white 2012 2 days ago! I'll give you some advice, DON'T CRASH.

Also, can I borrow your forks?
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #19
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

that is a beautiful bike!! I was hugging the tank on that bike. its a bit too aggressive for me to be comfortable
watch how hard you hit that throttle

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #20
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I crashed a white 2012 2 days ago! I'll give you some advice, DON'T CRASH.

Also, can I borrow your forks?
Wait wut?

Max has some 'splaining to do.

I would kill for a white 2013 636 and that R6 looks awesome.

As long as you felt like you got a great deal, ride the **** out of that thing but be safe while doing it.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #21
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

I made bike go crash crash. Road rash blows....****ing jeans lol.

icing on the cake - not my bike!

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #22
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
I made bike go crash crash. Road rash blows....****ing jeans lol.

icing on the cake - not my bike!
As long as you can flex your arms and there's no road rash on those, I can call your crash a victory.

Max = musclesGlasses.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

i have a small strawberry on my left elbow but I can flex it. Anddddd rash above both of my knees. I can flex but it's not my favorite thing in the world..

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #24
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Congrats on the new bike! Looks pretty darn nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
There's a valve on the exhaust that opens and closes in low rpm range to keep it quieter standing still and also gives a small boost of power (very insignificant if you ask me) in the lower rpms. Well that valve over time collects dirt and dust and gets sticky. You lose power and search for what could be wrong. So either check it/clean it regularly or get rid of the valve or disconnect it so it's always open. I eliminated the thing all together.
You talking EXUP?

Best not even mess with it until you get a full exhuast. Then your in a pickle.... Finding the right eliminator to fake out the ecm.
Yamaha says the exup not only opens and closes the valve, its advancing/retarding the timing with its position.
Look at the thing in Diag, it has open and closed values. That resistor mod only fixes the codes, it sits at 0 in diag when you open and close the valve..
Some of the other eliminators move slow and dont open all the way.
Leave the servo on there, it will go in circles without the valve there to stop it.
SAms sub servo does a great job, something you can really feel in the mid range & mpg. Too bad hes not in bizz any more.
Theres also some more real fancy ones to build, but people that built them wont post up diag results.
Sorry to exup ramble.......... thats what it will do to ya..
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Congrats on the new bike! Looks pretty darn nice

You talking EXUP?

Best not even mess with it until you get a full exhuast. Then your in a pickle.... Finding the right eliminator to fake out the ecm.
Yamaha says the exup not only opens and closes the valve, its advancing/retarding the timing with its position.
Look at the thing in Diag, it has open and closed values. That resistor mod only fixes the codes, it sits at 0 in diag when you open and close the valve..
Some of the other eliminators move slow and dont open all the way.
Leave the servo on there, it will go in circles without the valve there to stop it.
SAms sub servo does a great job, something you can really feel in the mid range & mpg. Too bad hes not in bizz any more.
Theres also some more real fancy ones to build, but people that built them wont post up diag results.
Sorry to exup ramble.......... thats what it will do to ya..
Yeah exup. You can f!ck with it all you want it really doesn't change anything drastically. Sure it throws an error code but who cares. It goes away in 2 seconds. And yeah, like you said, you can either do the resistor mod for dirt cheap or burn money on the graves exup eliminator thingy which is pretty much the same thing.

I guess it was obvious choice for me to disconnect it instead of trying to clean every once in a while since I ride track only but I doubt you couldn't live without the minimal boost that the exup valve gives you at lower rpms/traffic speeds.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #26
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

beautiful bike. Probably the best color scheme i've seen so far for the r6 (my opinion) congrats man..