Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #41
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

Name: Confuzshuz

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
new/mountain/front shocks/hard tail/semi serious
That may be the perfect bike for Jiggles as well.

I'm trying to picture your bike....but I can't. I can't picture a low cost mtb bike used for it's intended application w/o wearing out, breaking parts, or rusting so soon, even if the rider is a weekend warrior.

I assume you ride trails/single tracks? I gotta know the make and model.

Call me spoiled, but I have a full suspension with fox talas in the front and an rp23 in back.
Confuzshuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #42
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzshuz View Post
That may be the perfect bike for Jiggles as well.

I'm trying to picture your bike....but I can't. I can't picture a low cost mtb bike used for it's intended application w/o wearing out, breaking parts, or rusting so soon, even if the rider is a weekend warrior.

I assume you ride trails/single tracks? I gotta know the make and model.

Call me spoiled, but I have a full suspension with fox talas in the front and an rp23 in back.

I dont have a spec sheet. Apparently a friend of the family is upgrading his components and they (the stuff of his bike not mine) are top of the line and almost top of the line Shimano parts, so Im getting his old stuff. Which is better than my stuff I guess... lol whatevs. Im down for free stuff.

NVM found it.

CLICK ME
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #43
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post

I dont have a spec sheet. Apparently a friend of the family is upgrading his components and they (the stuff of his bike not mine) are top of the line and almost top of the line Shimano parts, so Im getting his old stuff. Which is better than my stuff I guess... lol whatevs. Im down for free stuff.

NVM found it.

CLICK ME
I've nearly forgotten about this website. Your bike still looks new, did you just get it?.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM   #44
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Damn bike riders are so uptight
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM   #45
fatestkid
ninjette.org member

Name: fatty

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Man at the beginning of the summer I was biking to work 20km each day 3x/week and long rides on the weeknd. Then I got the ninja and hung up the bicycle. Haven't gained any weight yet but damn running on the treadmill is hard these days.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM   #46
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
I've nearly forgotten about this website. Your bike still looks new, did you just get it?.
that was when it was brand new. It doesnt look like that anymore. Its got some love scrapes on it now... haha

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM   #47
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Damn bike riders are so uptight
Yes we are. Generally, I don't recommend getting those types of bikes or from these websites. Many new or bargain hunters will be directed there. Nothing wrong with it, but I just don't recommend it. To me (and no offense to massacremasses), buying that bike is similar to buying a brand new Hyosung. Some people feel that it is good enough and other don't know any better. Personally, I think most people are better off buying a better qualtiy used bike that is in great shape than buying the Dawes. Most new bike riders won't understand this now, but they will as soon as they become more serious about bike riding and start nit picking on their own bike.

The main reason I don't recommend new bikers buying from the internet is because of improper fit. These budget bikes are usually knock offs of brand name bikes, but geometry may not be consistent. Therefore, if you fit on namebrand A, knockoff B may not fit you correctly. It's important that the bike fits the rider and not the other way around.

@massacremasses, do you always ride with saddle that low? This is a serious question, btw.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #48
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatestkid View Post
Man at the beginning of the summer I was biking to work 20km each day 3x/week and long rides on the weeknd. Then I got the ninja and hung up the bicycle. Haven't gained any weight yet but damn running on the treadmill is hard these days.
If you have your own treadmill, ride the bike on the treadmill.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:44 AM   #49
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

yeah. Ive got short legs. that is almost as far as I can extend my legs and the most comfortable. Im 5'6" with like a 31" inseam

Also I will have to disagree with you on buying name brand "bikes" They are sooo much different then motorcycles. With a motorcycle you have an engine, and a lot of components made by one manufacturer. Here with the Dawes no name brand you have a reputable brand like Shimano that supplies all the components. There is no engine to worry about grenading. Its a probably Chinese made frame that's also most likely the same as most name brand bicycles. The biggest difference here is the paint job and the name they slapped on the bike itself. @Apex is the one who reminded me of the site and then I chose the one I wanted. So Im going to have to respectfully disagree with you here.

*edit I do agree with your fit remark though. That makes sense, but my local bike shop would have had to order one as well, so it didnt really make a difference.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #50
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

@massacremasses, out of curiosity, what size did you buy?

At your height and inseam, my guess is 15" or 17"

Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM   #51
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

17" I think.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM   #52
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I will have plenty of carbs to burn off when my bike gets here!

AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #53
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moises

Motorcycle(s): None yet

What is that? It looks really good!
xMoises831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM   #54
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
That would be pasta
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM   #55
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Looks pretty fatty to me. Also, I have that media center remote. Second best $8 I've ever spent. Also, dawes makes ok bikes. My girlfriend had an SST/AL. It was nifty.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM   #56
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
That is a Uverse remote
AFM #676

Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #57
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

BikeDirect is good stuff. My friend got a fixie from there and complained about how heavy it was compared to my old fixie (steel vs aluminum). I took a spin on his and instantly commented on how much smoother his was than mine. Yeah, they are knockoffs and sometimes use lower end stuff, however, they save money by making knockoffs...they have zero R&D. So you save on that. Sure it will weigh in more, because they put extra metal on the bike "to be safe". BD is decent, and the bikes will last if you take care of them.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #58
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I wouldn't mind a steel bike. IMO bikes are too light and difficult to control XD
AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #59
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
BikeDirect is good stuff. My friend got a fixie from there and complained about how heavy it was compared to my old fixie (steel vs aluminum). I took a spin on his and instantly commented on how much smoother his was than mine. Yeah, they are knockoffs and sometimes use lower end stuff, however, they save money by making knockoffs...they have zero R&D. So you save on that. Sure it will weigh in more, because they put extra metal on the bike "to be safe". BD is decent, and the bikes will last if you take care of them.
I do agree that BD is fine, but only for people who know what they are buying. I rarely recommend it newbies or anyone whos plans to get serious into biking to save a few dollars because most end up spending more money within a short period, either buy upgrading parts or a completely new bike. Fitting is also an important factor that can result spending more than you need. If someone buys the wrong frame size, new components are needed to compensate for it. It's important that the bike fits the rider, not the other way around. Proper fit is important in cycling because it will provide more comfort to the rider and help prevent injury.

Let's take massacremasses as an example (again, no offense whatsoever). He said he bought a nice/decent bike for $320 through BikesDirect. Based on his inseam, that 17" bike should fit pretty well with a few mechanical adjustments. However by looking at his low seat height, this indicates the bike doesn't fit correctly. It might take a stem, seat post w/o offset, and/or maybe even a shorter crankset to make the bike fit properly; which will cost more money. Had he purchased a bike from his local shop, he would have had a better chance of getting the correct fit. Many times, but not always, a good bike shop will swap components to provide the correct fit with little or no extra charge.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a steel bike. IMO bikes are too light and difficult to control XD
Material and weight isn't gonna make a significant difference in control. You need to put geometry into consideration for this. With a steeper head angle, steering will be more sensitive. A slack head angle will be less sensitive in steering.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #60
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
No, the bike is too ****ing light! I want a heavier bike but the one I got is aluminum

It's going to take every ounce of strength I have to only eat half this sandwich and save the rest for later. Wish me luck

AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #61
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

I hope you realized that the dog is not part of that sandwich.

Eat slow or put half that sandwich away, it may help. I have that problem too. I eat what's in front of me.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM   #62
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Let's take massacremasses as an example (again, no offense whatsoever). He said he bought a nice/decent bike for $320 through BikesDirect. Based on his inseam, that 17" bike should fit pretty well with a few mechanical adjustments. However by looking at his low seat height, this indicates the bike doesn't fit correctly. It might take a stem, seat post w/o offset, and/or maybe even a shorter crankset to make the bike fit properly; which will cost more money. Had he purchased a bike from his local shop, he would have had a better chance of getting the correct fit. Many times, but not always, a good bike shop will swap components to provide the correct fit with little or no extra charge.
One of the biggest fitment issues I see new riders make is a low seat height. The bike may fit him fine, however, some people still set their bikes up like the old BMX ones they used when they were a kid. Not many people know how to properly set seat height.

It is possible that he does have a little wiggle room left. He may be doing what my wife did and is pedaling with his arch instead of using the ball of his foot. That alone can net another inch of seat height. Too many factors to rule out improper fitment.

Also, I know from my friend, that some prefer the larger frames. I like a more compact frame. I could easily ride a 21, but I ride a 19 because it is more nimble in the technical parts of the trail. I don't need that stable feeling a bigger bike gives.

Back to the main subject though, the bike seat is way too low. I always recommend people to get fitted to a frame at a local dealer first, then look at other options with that number in mind.

Bikes cost too much to get a wrong frame and not be happy with the purchase. However, if he is happy with the bike overall and it is comfortable to him, then all is well...regardless of the seat height.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #63
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I hope I can crank the seat up high enough for my long dancers legs

Also sub $200 22inch (what is supposed to fit me) bikes were few and far between. The ones I did find got awful reviews
AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #64
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Hmmm..well you can always wear you ballet shoes to help lower the seat height.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:01 PM   #65
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Someone is trying to sabotage me, idk if I'm going to make it

AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #66
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Ice cream is so overrated. I don't really care for it that much.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Dude, have you ever had an its it?

Better than sex
AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #68
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Nope. I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

The only time I'll eat sweets is if my wife buys something for me. Most of the time I simply forget we have it and she ends up eating it.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #69
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Well ****, someone for real is trying to sabotage me. There is now lays, doritos, cheezits, goldfish, and all other kinds of goodies in the cupboard. Last night I was tempted so instead I grabbed a bag of popcorn and put it in the microwave (beer + popcorn is still ok in my book ) and what do you know, the start button is broken.

FML

Hope my bike arrives soon so I can fight these cravings with exercise
AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I need some suggestions for snack foods that are better than junk food. I'm not trying to eat healthy, just less terrible

I think tomorrow I'll go get some carrots and ranch, I know the ranch is terrible but it beats mindlessly eating goldfish right?
AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #71
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

Unsalted almonds or dark chocolate are my go-to's. :-)
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM   #72
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Dark chocolate is probably a bad idea.... But nuts are a good idea
AFM #676

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:22 PM   #73
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
I need some suggestions for snack foods that are better than junk food. I'm not trying to eat healthy, just less terrible

I think tomorrow I'll go get some carrots and ranch, I know the ranch is terrible but it beats mindlessly eating goldfish right?
...unless you mindlessly eat the carrots and ranch....

Try those 100 calorie snack packs. You can get them for crackers, cookies, etc. If you are a little hungry, just grab one of those, and tell yourself...this one pack, if I am hungry in an hour I'll grab another. They key is to take small steps. It is easier to adjust.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #74
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
100 calorie snack packs are basically junkfood, I'm trying to eliminate crap, even small amounts of crap.

So, healthy snacks, lay it on me
AFM #676

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #75
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Walnuts, peanuts, almonds...Air popped popcorn, apples, bananas ect...

What i normally munch on when i really want something bad is pinto beans mixed with brown rice.

Delicious.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #76
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Good ideas, accept for the apples, I'm allergic to those
AFM #676

Old October 4th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #77
Confuzshuz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Then you should definitely eat them......

Old October 4th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #78
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Hell, certain types of beef jerky is even better than most things you'd eat instead. I personally hate ALOT of fruits/veggies so it makes it that much harder for me to decide wtf im gonna eat. Just gotta keep ur eye open for somethin new.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #79
siebadn
ninjette.org member

Name: Amber

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Frozen bananas (plus it sorta tastes like ice cream, if you don't think about it a lot).
siebadn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #80
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Worth a try:

Link to original page on YouTube.

This is of the two girls in my favorite Renissance Festival musical group: Circa Paleo.

The violinist is on the right...and dang she is cute.

I want to give this recipe a try in the near future.