Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM   #41
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Already had legit drivers license, took my cert for MSF ect... to MVA. When i got to the final station lady said, OH the computer is asking me for your socal security card. I was like ahhhh don't have it....I ALREADY HAVE A MD LICENSE!! HENCE i have already provided, my Socal, Birth Cert, and proof of residence once before!! Had to drive whole way back to my place to get all that crap, and the stuff they except for proof of residency isn't exactly stuff you have laying around.
/end rant
Their problem is due to the Real ID act. You can thank congress for that one. SC passed a law saying that they wouldn't abide by Real ID, but within 2 years changed their drivers licensing ID requirements in a remarkable coincidence. Wow, what a coincidence.

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM   #42
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
.... leave my thick azz wallet at home when I rode. My wallet has an RFID card in it for work and really is a PITA on long rides.
That's why they make tank bags....

What is a RFID?
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM   #43
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

RFID is a keyless entry into the building. They have readers near the doors and you just do a butt-bump on the way by and the door unlocks.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM   #44
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

O God the MSF class, *shivers*, I'm still mad I paid the $250 for that. Yea, most people don't have their licenses. Completing the MSF Basic course doesn't really make you one step above a squid. You get a license after wobbling around cones in a parking lot. We need a tiered licensing system here. Participants would take the test on a dual sport. There would be a fixed course with street oriented obstacles and a cut off finishing time. Also, the finish time would determine how powerful a bike you could ride. Imagine how safe the streets would be then...or more imagine how many people wouldn't be riding.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM   #45
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

I do think it's in poor choice to make people pay for the MSF. Here in PA it's free for residents. So really, it's a no brainer and an easy way to get your license. But I don't think I would have paid for it honestly. I did enjoy my time there, I did definitely learn a lot. But would it be worth 250 bucks? I'm not sure. But since it is free I do think I'll take the Basic Rider course 2 and the Advanced rider course, just for the hell of it. Plus the insurance break is nice, though It's not that much.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #46
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
O God the MSF class, *shivers*, I'm still mad I paid the $250 for that. Yea, most people don't have their licenses. Completing the MSF Basic course doesn't really make you one step above a squid. You get a license after wobbling around cones in a parking lot. We need a tiered licensing system here. Participants would take the test on a dual sport. There would be a fixed course with street oriented obstacles and a cut off finishing time. Also, the finish time would determine how powerful a bike you could ride. Imagine how safe the streets would be then...or more imagine how many people wouldn't be riding.
You must be one of those people who think that people would abide by the law because it's the law. Ya know, in your world, people without a motorcycle license wouldn't be riding (but they do in this world), and people with licenses suspended for DUI wouldn't continue driving on friday nights and killing people. Oh and criminals wouldn't have guns in that world either(but they do in this world).

I don't mean to pick at you too hard, it's a good idea to have a tiered license, but in practical terms, it simply won't work.

Now get off'a my lawn! lol

Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #47
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

For those of you who have to ride with someone else with your permit, how does that work, does it have to be 2up, or is it ok to be on separate bikes? Can the second driver be following in a car? What's the maximum following distance?

California doesn't require that, the permit let's you ride, but no night time riding, no freeway riding, and no passengers. I don't see how a second rider is going to help much, it doesn't help much if you can't talk to each other, although a following rider could debrief you after the ride to tell you what you were doing right and wrong.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #48
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
I do think it's in poor choice to make people pay for the MSF. Here in PA it's free for residents. So really, it's a no brainer and an easy way to get your license. But I don't think I would have paid for it honestly. I did enjoy my time there, I did definitely learn a lot. But would it be worth 250 bucks? I'm not sure. But since it is free I do think I'll take the Basic Rider course 2 and the Advanced rider course, just for the hell of it. Plus the insurance break is nice, though It's not that much.
"Choice?" Who is going to pay for the bikes in every other state? Those things take a beating!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #49
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
"Choice?" Who is going to pay for the bikes in every other state? Those things take a beating!
Well here pretty much all of the course is paid for by our licensing fees and permit fees. Plus anyone that's out of state has to pay like $140 I think.

Old November 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #50
drbyatch
ninjette.org member

Name: Heath

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

In Australia you need to do a

1. 2 Day course with questions and small test.

2. hpt (hazard perception) with questions and multiple choice.

Is about 100$ and goverment subsidised.
i would estimate the cost of the 2xday course being about $400 to the goverment. (hired bike etc)

the course was excellent but our hpt is joke. if anyone on this forum were to take the hpt the first time they would probably fail. to pass all you have to do is memorize a few questions/answers.

once you have your Learners then you need to wait 3 months. then do another day course with cones to weave and simulated traffic stuff on a course. and then you do your unrestricted liscence and can go over 80kmh - freeways and stuff.

if you already have a full car liscence you skip the green p plates that they have for cars/bikes (100 kmh maximum - small multiple choice to pass)

personally the test stuff is useless, all the testing you need to do is questions like

1. what do you supply in the event of an accident? (insurance info or when to ring the police) - in australia if no one is hurt you just call the trafic line and swap insurance info im pretty sure (see i have already forgot exact process)

2. can you drink and drive?

3. insert some multiple choice question about speed signs

4. insert some other random road rule question

5. insert some other random generated road rule question.

I think simulated tests are better and classes like with our learner test for bikes over here.

even our car test here is silly - you take a drive with a RTA(DMV) person around a preset course through the subburbs etc.

people just share with each other the route that they take and just learn that route to pass the test :/
drbyatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #51
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I think the whole licensing system needs to be redone here in the states. I don't think it should be a cheap fee. I think it should cost more and take more time to make people respect having the privilege of driving. After you spend all that time and money on a license, the last thing you want to do is lose it and have to do it all over again. So yeah, I think we are too cheap on the license system. People around here think it is a right to drive, when it isn't. It is abused too much as well. Do you think someone would risk texting and driving, or drinking and driving, if caught doing so meant harsher punishments?

I really do think they need to up the requirements for a license...and take it away more easily. Repeat DUI offenders should not be allowed on the road ever again after the 3rd offense. Obviously they have no respect for the vehicle, or anyone else on the road.

We are just too lenient on the whole thing.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote