Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Is flickr worth it?

Hey guys,

So today I got myself my first DSLR (), a Canon T4i. I love taking photos and want a place online to store them all. I know photo bucket, but for some reason Flickr calls to me. I signed up to Flickr and uploaded some photos but realized the limits and what not. I'm considering upgrading, for only $24 it's not that bad. Then again, it isssss $24... so my question is, for those of you who have flickr, is it worth it?

What are the pros and cons? Could you suggest some other site? Any explanation on why flickr and not else where?

I noticed some of you have flickr, so I though I'd ask

Thank you!
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Picasa is an option, too. I love my flickr and think it is, though I've been on it since before Picasa was a thing, and never explored that as a free option...

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I used to be on Flickr all the time. Good communities and rarely any downtime - however, I've never experienced any downtime.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I pay $29/yr for photobucket

It allows unlimited linking of ridiculous gifs

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Big fan of smugmug here. Great privacy options for sharing family photos with only family, without having to set up passwords. Good video options.

The ninjette.org gallery is run directly from my smugmug account.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #6
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

I host all of my pics at Smugmug as well. Been very happy with it for the past couple years.

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #7
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Flickr has good privacy options, too. You can post publicly, only to your "contacts", to select contacts, or have photos only visible to you. They have some nice organizational tools, too (sets, collections, galleries). And you can post vids too, so I think you could use jigs' gifs, also, if that painted your wagon.

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #8
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Another vote for Picasa, great privacy settings (you don't need passwords either), storage, video, etc. You can also directly link videos from there to things like youtube as well. Btw, I would stay away from photobucket, too easy to hack the privacy settings. Also, if you post certain pics like nudes or something "inappropriate," photobucket deletes them without warning.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Another plug for smugmug, as the owner/founder of that company is a huge motorcycle nut, and runs the ADVrider site.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Another vote for Picasa, great privacy settings (you don't need passwords either), storage, video, etc. You can also directly link videos from there to things like youtube as well. Btw, I would stay away from photobucket, too easy to hack the privacy settings. Also, if you post certain pics like nudes or something "inappropriate," photobucket deletes them without warning.
You're photobucket will only get hacked if you are an idiot. Someone has to guess the link in order to access it and photobucket has a "scramble link" on upload option so that can't happen. If you do upload your pics without the option and they are say, PIC001 PIC002 and so on, then yes its easy to "hack" though its not really a hack at all, just a guess.

I invite anyone to "hack" my private album, good luck
AFM #676

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #11
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
You're photobucket will only get hacked if you are an idiot. Someone has to guess the link in order to access it and photobucket has a "scramble link" on upload option so that can't happen. If you do upload your pics without the option and they are say, PIC001 PIC002 and so on, then yes its easy to "hack" though its not really a hack at all, just a guess.

I invite anyone to "hack" my private album, good luck
Youtube or google it my friend and yes, if you're an idiot, then that is a given. I just find it interesting how easily people give out their information so freely and I find topics like these interesting to discuss.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Youtube or google it my friend and yes, if you're an idiot, then that is a given. I just find it interesting how easily people give out their information so freely and I find topics like these interesting to discuss.
I have, it works exactly how I said it works, take a look at my gif images and see if you'd be able to guess that link
AFM #676

Old February 7th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

So I'm inbetween Flickr and SmugMug now lol. Does SmugMug have groups like flickr? Where you can shar your photos in a group mainstream? I kind of like that feature. *Sigh* lol. I took some good pictures today too. I'll probably decide on one of the two soon.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I think they both have free trials. Nothing wrong with playing with them both until you figure out what you prefer. What I liked about smugmug over flickr a few years back was that smugmug made it easier for me to classify my photos the way I do locally. By category, and by time taken in different galleries. Flickr always seemed to be more about tagging and streams, and having all photos in one big pile that the user meanders their way through. I haven't used it in years though, so perhaps it's just as flexible now to organize things different ways.