ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 15th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

No good deed, right? :( Advice on unfolding event.

Not a motorcycle crash but it was my vehicle and it's going to hit my insurance, so you could say that I was involved.

So, my friend was supposed to pick up his girlfriend from 110 miles away this weekend by driving a beater truck with a bad transmission. With that truck, chances of a break down were high enough that I worried he'd get stranded and I'd have to drive out anyway and it's a gas-guzzler, so I offered to drive him in my 2011 Toyota Corolla that I bought new just over a year ago. Plans changed with his girlfriend and he had to pick her up today instead, but we have conflicting work schedules (I work straight into Saturday), so I decided I'd let him borrow the car for the same reason. Heck, it was on empty and so he'd have to put some gas in it for me.

Soon after I started work I got a call that started with "You're going to hate me..."
!@$!@#%!

He thought the oncoming lane was clear before turning left into some mall in Oxford, AL (about half way; 70miles). He says that some truck stopped to allow him to turn and that there was no car coming when he started, but a car behind that truck has every right to change lanes and keep going as long as their light is green. The other car hit my car's rear wheel and bent it in.

Now, his truck's insurance is still under a mutual friend's name (friend is buying truck from friend), so this is definitely going on my insurance. Am I screwed? Actually, I have more pressing concerns, like what to do immediately (he and the car are still at the scene).

He thinks that he can drive it home because there is no perceptible wobble, but I told him "no way" with the wheel bent in. So, now he's stranded in 1.5 hours away with my car while I'm at work. I have Toyota's service plan that includes Driver's One roadside assistance, but that only covers $50 toward the cost of towing and I imagine that it'll be another $300+ to tow it 75 miles to the dealer. I can't afford that! My brother can pick him up if we have it towed to a closer dealership, but does it even really need to go to a dealership? I think we also have roadside assistance with the insurance (State Farm) and I still have a valid Allstate Motor Club membership but that is for any car I drive and it probably requires me to be there.

I wonder if we can piggy-back the roadside assistance programs to get him three times as far. I might be able to get the Toyota one to take him as far as the $50 covers (the Oxford Toyota dealer seems to be on the way ) and then use State Farm and that might get him close enough to use Allstate. I can't make phone calls here but I can't just sit by and do nothing. Any advice?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Sorry, I don't know how to solve a situation like yours.

Any way to repair or replace the wheel in the area where the car is now and your friend finding a hotel and doing the repair over there tomorrow?

Again, I am sorry.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

Why not just put the spare on it?
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Don't put it on your insurance. Make your friend pay to fix the damages.

Old February 15th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
When he means the wheel is bent, that means there might be more damage internally. My dad wrecked our SUV. The best wheel broke the axle, pushed it into our engine and cracked the transmission. Car totaled, well mine was. I can't help you out though. You're in a really tight position

Old February 15th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #6
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Danm sorry man, seems tough. NEVER LET PEOPLE BORROW YOUR **** (unless they can back it up (money)). Life lesson.

Did you end up finding out what is next?

Old February 15th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, I'm still at work and my brother drove out there to take a look. They both think it's drivable but I think they are letting the $350 tow bill affect their judgement. The last thing I want to do is hear about my car sliding across the freeway when the wheel gives in and I also don't want to hear the shop say that driving it made it worse.

I'm pretty sure that the rear wheels are independent (not connected by an axle) so the damage may be somewhat limited but I still have no idea if the entire thing, mount and all, is about to fall off.

And yeah: Switching to the spare would mean riding on an identically tilted spare. Might make sense to switch first though. They can get a better view of what's under there and they will not be putting abnormal miles on the tires that have road hazard coverage (surely, that will invalidate it). That said, I don't think you are supposed to ride 70 miles on a doughnut spare even under normal conditions.

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, so I'm home, the car's home, my brother's home, and my friend is home. Still not sure how to handle this tomorrow. The right-rear tire is crooked in two ways: It aims right like it is steering right and it leans left. I don't think we should be seen driving it to the dealer like that even though they drove it home.

FWIW, insurance will have to be involved no matter what my friend pays me because there was another driver involved who will be making a claim.

Old February 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

It seems that the bar, on which both rear tires are supported, got bent.

Driving it home like that should have eaten some rubber from the tire in an abnormal pattern.

If the dealer has nothing to do with the tire, they won't care if you drove it in, since they will replace that bar, will check chassis alignment and will align the steering (if there is no more damage).

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Your friend needs to make you whole. Insurance deductibles, insurance increases, any out of pocket expenses you have dealing with this. It's unacceptable to mess up someone else's vehicle, but if it ever happens, it needs to be dealt with properly. This needs to be explained to him calmly and completely.

All of us eventually learn our tolerance for lending out vehicles. I trade bikes (and on rarer occasions, cars) with a number of friends. But if that person isn't willing or likely to be able to write a check on the spot to replace the vehicle for me, they aren't on that list.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #11
NinjetteNewfie
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I only loan my vehicles to family members...and even then its a bit begrudgingly!!! Accidents happen and it would suck to lose a friendship over it. If a close family member wrecks your car...well they're still family so you just have to get over it.

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
A new a arm and support bracket with nice new bushings should only be 75$, if the hub is messed up get a salvaged rear hub (its a drum anyway who cares) for about 100$ if the wheel is bent replace it. The mounting points for the support arm should be fine if it wasn't too big of an accident but make sure you check them out

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm confused how this is going on your insurance.

I know that my insurance policy covers me in any vehicle that I drive, even if we don't own it. That's why I carry an auto insurance card, even though I don't have a car with me all the time.

You should look into your friend's auto insurance before automatically assuming that this goes on your insurance. Just my
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

If his friend does not appear in the policy as a regular driver for the car......?

Where is our insurance expert @Jiggles ?

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Your friend needs to make you whole. Insurance deductibles, insurance increases, any out of pocket expenses you have dealing with this. It's unacceptable to mess up someone else's vehicle, but if it ever happens, it needs to be dealt with properly. This needs to be explained to him calmly and completely.
Of course, but I anticipate that it will be hard to quantify how much to charge for a rate increase. Even if the bill is itemized and I know exactly how much extra I have to pay every month, I can see it being a lot of work to keep track of whether or not he's paid me for this or that month indefinitely.

I always entertained the idea of letting him take over payments so I could get the car I wanted (Ford Fiesta). If he had, this would be his problem on his record with his insurance rate increase. Too bad there is no way for him to "take over" my insurance policy too. It is his accident and his driving record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All of us eventually learn our tolerance for lending out vehicles. I trade bikes (and on rarer occasions, cars) with a number of friends. But if that person isn't willing or likely to be able to write a check on the spot to replace the vehicle for me, they aren't on that list.
Yeah... ability is my biggest concern here. If he was able to afford to cut me the full check right away then he wouldn't be driving the junker truck we were trying to avoid using. Heck, if we swapped positions, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the deductible and immediate expenses (towing) without selling things and/or saving a few weeks. I took that risk when I loaned it to him and lost. I obviously thought the chance was slim enough based on his driving history and that ended up costing us both.

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
A new a arm and support bracket with nice new bushings should only be 75$, if the hub is messed up get a salvaged rear hub (its a drum anyway who cares) for about 100$ if the wheel is bent replace it. The mounting points for the support arm should be fine if it wasn't too big of an accident but make sure you check them out
I hope so but the trunk keeps opening so there is probably a bigger structural issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I'm confused how this is going on your insurance.

I know that my insurance policy covers me in any vehicle that I drive, even if we don't own it. That's why I carry an auto insurance card, even though I don't have a car with me all the time.

You should look into your friend's auto insurance before automatically assuming that this goes on your insurance. Just my
The junk truck he's driving is still insured by the mutual friend he is buying it from (still owes a couple hundred), so he doesn't have a policy yet. A few days before I heard a talk show radio host talking to a lawyer (regular segment) and brought up a recent incident where he loaned a rental car to his producer and she crashed it. Even though it was a rental and not his car, they came after his insurance because he was liable for loaning the car. It seems that it applies even more directly when there is no rental car with unauthorized drivers involved.

So yeah: My car, my policy, my authorization to use it, my legal obligation, and I knew that it would be even before there was an incident.

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #17
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So he doesn't have car insurance at all?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
So he doesn't have car insurance at all?
He is added as an authorized driver to the truck's insurance, but it's a mutual friend's policy and it's only until he pays off the truck. Neither the truck nor that policy holder was involved in any way.

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If his friend does not appear in the policy as a regular driver for the car......?

Where is our insurance expert @Jiggles ?
Well it's going on his policy, there's a reason you buy insurance and it's for instances like this. You could say that your friend was not authorized to drive your car and then your insurance won't even come into it. You sue him for damage to your car and the other driver sues him for damage to their car.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Well it's going on his policy, there's a reason you buy insurance and it's for instances like this. You could say that your friend was not authorized to drive your car and then your insurance won't even come into it. You sue him for damage to your car and the other driver sues him for damage to their car.
Yeah, I thought of that. With him, it basically means he goes bankrupt after all that with the additional fines it would entail. I might never get my car fixed that way. It also seems like entrapment by inviting him to use my car and then revoking my authorization. I loaned it to him so I must accept that responsibility.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #21
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Generally if you are going to say that someone was not authorized to drive the car you will need to file a stolen vehicle report with the police. I'm guessing he does not want to go that route.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #22
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I hope by this point you have contacted your own insurance company.

Tell them you lent the car to a driver authorized on another policy. You should get that information from your friend.

Your insurance company will play middle man between his insurance company and the other drivers insurance company.

Your rates will very likely NOT go up, because it wasn't you driving. Nobody can guarantee that except your own insurance agent. Your cost may go up if your friends insurance doesn't cover the damages on your car and they have to step in to fix your car.

If you haven't called, put down the mouse and CALL. They will answer all of your questions.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #23
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I've felt your pain in a way. I showed up to a club race to steal Yamaha contingency money and I the process made the #1 plate point leader push to hard and crash out damaging his bike to the point where it was done for the weekend. With the battle between his and second in the champion ship so close like 10points we offered him out spare bike(for sale at the time for 8K) to just do laps and take an easy second to collect points.

The reason I felt bad in the first place was because he's perusing the overall clubs #1 plate while racing a 600 and the racer he's battle with for that tittle is racing a 750. So even though they race in completely separate classes the champion comes down to points, and the 750 class doesn't have professional racer dropping in now and then to make a quick $.

So with the only person who with a remote chance of competing against me on my own spare bike I lower the pace a full second and prepare for and easy win. Well the racer on my spare bike starts to get comfortable on my bike and starts to push to close the 4second gap I have on him and in doing so crashes my bike at over 140mph in turn 8 at willow springs.

After a bunch of us going back and forth and somehow us being made out as the bad guys we get the bike back in almost race ready condition but equipped with components then aren't up to our standard. Years later he showed his true colors again and screwed someone else then we started getting apologies from former friends about doubting us in the incident.

Fast forward a few more years and I heard the guy got into a bad reck and in a comma for awhile. After finally coming to he ended up in your typical half brain dead post comma state so Karma is a bitch

Best of luck with your current situation, hope it turns out better for you then it did me.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I hope by this point you have contacted your own insurance company.

Tell them you lent the car to a driver authorized on another policy. You should get that information from your friend.

Your insurance company will play middle man between his insurance company and the other drivers insurance company.

Your rates will very likely NOT go up, because it wasn't you driving. Nobody can guarantee that except your own insurance agent. Your cost may go up if your friends insurance doesn't cover the damages on your car and they have to step in to fix your car.

If you haven't called, put down the mouse and CALL. They will answer all of your questions.
Thanks, but he doesn't have his own insurance. The truck he drives in insured by the mutual friend he is buying it from, who happens to sell insurance. The mutual friend added the other friend as an authorized driver of the truck, but the mutual friend and the truck had nothing to do with this accident and we would not involve him or his policy.

As for my insurance, we have called but it was the weekend and they instructed us to sit tight until today. Today we requested the police report for the insurance company and they told us to drop it off at an authorized service place for an estimate. Apparently there are different deductibles for different types of claims and the at-fault collision deductible is a lot higher than I thought ($1,000). In a way, that's good because it's a more easily quantifiable and indisputable expense my friend will have to pay directly.

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I've felt your pain in a way. I showed up to a club race to steal Yamaha contingency money and I the process made the #1 plate point leader push to hard and crash out damaging his bike to the point where it was done for the weekend. With the battle between his and second in the champion ship so close like 10points we offered him out spare bike(for sale at the time for 8K) to just do laps and take an easy second to collect points.

The reason I felt bad in the first place was because he's perusing the overall clubs #1 plate while racing a 600 and the racer he's battle with for that tittle is racing a 750. So even though they race in completely separate classes the champion comes down to points, and the 750 class doesn't have professional racer dropping in now and then to make a quick $.

So with the only person who with a remote chance of competing against me on my own spare bike I lower the pace a full second and prepare for and easy win. Well the racer on my spare bike starts to get comfortable on my bike and starts to push to close the 4second gap I have on him and in doing so crashes my bike at over 140mph in turn 8 at willow springs.

After a bunch of us going back and forth and somehow us being made out as the bad guys we get the bike back in almost race ready condition but equipped with components then aren't up to our standard. Years later he showed his true colors again and screwed someone else then we started getting apologies from former friends about doubting us in the incident.

Fast forward a few more years and I heard the guy got into a bad reck and in a comma for awhile. After finally coming to he ended up in your typical half brain dead post comma state so Karma is a bitch

Best of luck with your current situation, hope it turns out better for you then it did me.
Wow. It's gotta be just that much worse without insurance involved. Still cool that the nice guy finished first.

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #26
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Just to add, I was in a not at fault accident, doing over $13,000 worth of damage to my car, a couple years back and State Farm upped my monthly premium by a whopping $16.... Granted it sounds like yours there was someone at fault but don't automatically assume it will destroy your rates. I would however make sure he covers the deductible and the fact now the car had an accident doesn't help later resale value!
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #27
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02337 View Post
Just to add, I was in a not at fault accident, doing over $13,000 worth of damage to my car, a couple years back and State Farm upped my monthly premium by a whopping $16.... Granted it sounds like yours there was someone at fault but don't automatically assume it will destroy your rates. I would however make sure he covers the deductible and the fact now the car had an accident doesn't help later resale value!
Why did your rates go up at all? Was the other driver uninsured so State Farm had to pay the $13,000? Did you claim your gap insurance? I have a feeling that mine would go up significantly more, considering fault. They would probably consider me more risky because I've been known to loan my car to other drivers generating at-fault accidents, even if I never intend to do it again.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #28
ninjette.org member

Well initial estimate of $8000 didn't cover all the repairs to my liking. And there was no other driver it was like a cars lowside, slid off road, jot embankment. Damn you falken tires!

Anyway, hope all goes well for you!

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #29
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Thanks, but he doesn't have his own insurance. The truck he drives in insured by the mutual friend he is buying it from, who happens to sell insurance. The mutual friend added the other friend as an authorized driver of the truck, but the mutual friend and the truck had nothing to do with this accident and we would not involve him or his policy.
It will be involved. If he's named on that insurance policy, even if its for a different vehicle, that policy will more than likely get pulled in to pay the damages on your car. When you get an insurance policy on one car, it covers you as a driver as well as your car. Him being named on that insurance policy, means he has insurance.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #30
ninjette.org member

Does it automatically put their name on the policy? I was authorized on my parents policy for years, never had my name on the cards. I was just authorized to drive that vehicle.
For example when I bought my car, I had my old car in my parents name and insurance but I was authorized. Well when I bought my new car the dealership let me take it home that night due to the fact that I had insurance on my old car so I would be covered.
Bank calls the next day threatening to come tow the car because being a authorized driver on another policy doesn't cover you outside that particular car.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #31
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02337 View Post
Does it automatically put their name on the policy? I was authorized on my parents policy for years, never had my name on the cards. I was just authorized to drive that vehicle.
For example when I bought my car, I had my old car in my parents name and insurance but I was authorized. Well when I bought my new car the dealership let me take it home that night due to the fact that I had insurance on my old car so I would be covered.
Bank calls the next day threatening to come tow the car because being a authorized driver on another policy doesn't cover you outside that particular car.
That is correct, you need to have insurance on every car. You as a driver were covered for liability, but the new car was not. The bank wants you to have insurance because if you crash, they want their money back. That requirement is the banks requirement, not insurance.

Think of it this way... If you go rent a car from (insert car rental agency), you don't take a new policy out on the car, you're not even added onto their policy. They ask for a copy of your current insurance, because THAT is what will pay for the rental car if you smash it up. (Unless you buy their insurance on top which is a waste of money as long as you have an active policy)

You can try to not involve the other policy all you want, but once you tell your insurance company that you weren't driving, they will want all of the information regarding the person who was driving, including the insurance policy they're covered under.

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #32
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post

couldn't happen to anyone more deserving...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote